Cornelius, NC
Robbins Park Share
Uploaded By: 1978 Hole #17 (Taken 10/2014)

Rugged Robbins

5+    10/23/2014   10/23/2014
Review By: Gordito
Pros: Great signage; there are arrows to tell you where the next hole is. Each sign has a very accurate depiction of each hole, with arrows for elevation, etc.

Good variety of shots. There are right doglegs, left doglegs, par fours, mandos, elevation, tunnel shots, finesse shots, you name it.

Homemade bridges, hand rails, steps, ladders. The maker of this course put a lot of time into it, to make it a really fun course to play on and navigate. It feels like a course that you and your friends would make and build. It has a backyard tree house feel to it.

Very well balanced. #1 starts out with a pretty standard straightforward shot, with elevation to make it challenging. The course then moves to #2 and #3, which have a little bit more distance to them, and are a little trickier than hole 1. #2 is a downhill shot where you have to place your disc strategically, or else you will roll. #3 is a right dog leg, where some trees and low hanging branches come to play. The next couple of holes are tight, technical shots. After that the course gets longer, and more demanding, with some open holes at the end to mix it up.

You dont need insane distance to get a good score. You will do fine if you average around 300-350 feet.
Cons: The whole course plays around a creek, which is a cool idea, but can be a pain in the ass sometimes. If your disc is on the other side of the creek, it can be really tricky to get it back. You usually have to walk all the way around the creek until you find a way to cross it.

Although they have done a wonderful job to clean this park up and keep it maintained, there are a few areas that are nearly impossible to navigate. There is a field of thorny mess that comes to play on a couple of the holes halfway through. If your disc gets deep in there, you're better off saying goodbye to it and leaving it there.

A couple of the holes feel out of place with the rest of the course. Even though the course as a whole flows very well, hole 15, 16 feel very out of place to me. Hole 15 is a straight forward throw in the open, where the trees dont come into play as much as the designer would have liked. It should be a very easy birdie for most players. Hole 16 is a nice hole, but it does not fit the theme of the course. It is a decent sized, right dogleg, slightly elevated par 4. Again, it is a very fun hole, it just seems out of place.

Some of the holes are dangerously close to each other. For example, if you are looking for a disc on hole 1, you might get hit in the head by a stray disc coming in from one of the other holes.

Other Thoughts: Overall, I really like this course. It has a unique feel to it, while keeping true to the NC disc golf scene at the same time. If I had to compare it to any other park(s), I would say that its a mix of Elon eager beaver and Bradford park.
I have been playing on this course since it first came out, and its been really fun to watch it grow. You can tell that the course designer/community really cares about this park, and is taking a lot of time to make it a fun park to play at. I dont think this course has reached its final form yet, either.

Date: 10/27/2014 Designer Response by: 1978
Thank you for the review. You are correct, work is still on going for more bridges and ladders and other amenities. Hole 15 and 16 are very much planned. I wanted a few holes where people could air it out to make the course well rounded. 15 is 415' slightly up hill, that is a challenging distance for 95% of players. 16 is a par 4 but will be bordered by OB in tournaments. Those 2 holes eat up the most discs because of the border grass. Thanks for playing so often! You can be a big help by picking up trash and throwing fallen limbs off the fairway!

Robbins's thick

1    8/30/2014   8/30/2014
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 11/11/2014
Pros: -First, I want to say that this course is better than a 3.5. But since it is new, it still needs work. Robbins is like baby Renaissance. The fence you throw over on #3, and some pretty dangerous pin positions, definitely has the "Renny" feeling! Almost every hole is reachable, #16 is a 675' par 4. I birdied that hole but also double bogeyed #8.
-The OB around the fairways (usually in the ravine) definitely adds some challenge. For instance #17 has it all around the left side, demanding you to go right. #5 is also a "risk and reward" shot. It's 295' but plays downhill so it's reachable if you can throw accurately but the basket is over a ditch which is marked as OB.
-This isn't a large park so the front 9 all plays up and down a big hill, making it a very hilly front nine. The back nine mostly on it so it's not as hilly, but holes 12 and 18 are great exceptions. #12 is unarguably the hardest on the course. The fact that it's only 463' and a par 4 makes the short pin seem pretty simple. But it's not, it's steep uphill and is a dogleg right, you want your disc to clear the trees and be set up perfectly in the fairway. Take away the steep hill and you get #10 at Charlotte's Web.
-Well balanced elevation and terrain. The front 9 is moderately wooded with the first two holes being decent open holes, just to warm up and then hole 3 is a pretty tough wooded hole to the right with OB to the left side. #4 is an easier hole at barely 200 feet, just kind of allows you to get a birdie then holes 5 thru 9 are downs and ups on the hill. Then 10 thru 14 are all wooded holes that require the most accuracy. #15 and #16 are something different. They are long holes in the open. Right now they are really rough so they require some accuracy (hopefully the growth will be gone soon). Nevertheless, fun holes. #17 is back into the woods and #18 is an uphill finish out in the open.
-I loved the elevation uses here. Especially #5 and #7! They are both steep downhill. #5 goes out of the woods and out in the open with OB in play about 40' short of the basket. #7 also goes out of the woods and into the open. This hole is a dogleg right. This is a rather short hole at only 252' and due to elevation, this is very reachable with a putter. The uphill layouts for #8 and #12 also stood out! #8 may be the signature hole on the course. It's a slight anhyzer that goes over the creek and up the hill. The approach shot is an awesome feature to this hole. The aforementioned #12 is another hole worth talking about. It probably has the greatest use of elevation on the course followed by a few other holes, but this hole just goes straight up. The goal for skilled disc golfers on this hole is to reach the bend which is maybe 220' but plays much longer.
-I really enjoyed some of the pin positions. Hole 1 has a drop off past it. It's very easy to go past the basket on this hole even with a mid range, #11's elevated basket with a drop off past it as well. This is a short hole but it's very tight so it feels good enough to get par on this hole, #13 has the creek in play to the right, the fairway goes downhill to the right leading you to it, and #16 is beside the mound, that's always fun!
-Place is secluded in a very quiet neighborhood just outside of the city. Kind of like my Grandmother's house, it's not in the city and is quiet (Now would be a good time to say that I made up my own course up there but don't have 5000 dollars.) You get a good view of it on #15 and #16. There are not many goers here, there were some other people playing but no one was using anything else.
-Bailey Rd. is nearby, great two course day in Cornelius with a gas station between the way to each and plenty of restaurants.
-Huey made tee signs. Very cool tee signs with cool diagrams and hole information. He even has the lengths for the long position holes! For instance #12.
-The retaining walls splitting the holes very course to each other are a super cool idea!
Cons: -It's rough. Other than the pin position on #13, this hole needs plenty of work. There are drag piles. They are in the rough but it's super easy to get in the rough. Also needs clearing out in the rough! This hole is a mess at the moment and if you go in there, it will potentially cost you 2,3 or even 4 strokes if you don't just throw out. Not to mention I lost a KC Pro Aviar on this hole. I usually don't recommend that but in this case, I will. If you go in the rough just lay up and get back in the fairway. You won't see the basket in the rough, it's too messy. Oh, and a good warning for you readers of this review, holes 15 and 16 may be some seriously painful experiences looking for your disc. When I shanked it on 15 trying to rip it, things got real mean in the tall grass, there are thorns everywhere on that hole. They are not as hard to avoid on #16 but my point is, it's not worth looking 30 minutes for a disc in Thorn Town.
-Tee pads are not there yet but they are coming!
-Typical other new course problems like some overhead branches. Especially #18, they really need to go sometime soon and #16 has some as well if you are in the semi rough. They are not as bad but they can mess you up if you don't think.
-Few more bridges would be nice! #18 needs one at the moment.
Other Thoughts: -I really liked how the the front nine mostly was going up or down the hill and how the back nine wasn't quite as hilly but required more accuracy and distance. I did mention that I wasn't too fond of #13 but the fairway going downhill to the right and the basket being by the creek was really cool. The back nine was more difficult and longer too but they all reachable. The hardest hole to reach would probably be #15. It's a 415' par 3. It's not only the distance but where you disc could potentially land may scare you a little. The challenge factor here was a 93/180 which isn't too difficult overall but it had some challenging holes with a couple being hard. The fun factor by hole for me was a 125/180 being a bit above average than what I usually get like Hornet's Nest having a 122 or Bradley Center in Gastonia having a 120 and The Bridges having a 110. The overall score I give Robbins is a 109 but only because of the rough and high lost disc potential and other minor problems with those fixed, it could be over 130! Just a few examples of courses I gave a 3.5. This course can easily make its way to a 4 because if #13 gets less messy and #15 and #16 become less painful the fun factor will maybe reach the low 130's! A well worthy 4 or generous 4.5! I enjoyed #16 nevertheless.
-Personal favorite hole would be #5. It's a super fun straight downhill par 3 out of the woods and over the ditch. Just a great hole all around followed by others like 2,7,8,12 and 16! I think you will love those holes too!
-I'm glad I came here! If you plan to come, just be aware of the entrance. The park sign say "Westmoreland Athletic Complex." I came in and no one was there which got me confused. I came to the near gas station maybe half a mile from the place and found out I went there all along. The address is on the sign 8430 Westmoreland Rd. I was too careless to look at that maybe because it was my first time in Cornelius by myself. Bring a friend and some water. This is a hike for a Charlotte course.
-I had a lot of fun here! Well done Mark Huether!

Update: 22 tee pads poured! Nice and grippy!

Bask in Robbins

1    7/6/2014   7/15/2014
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Robbins Park is a great addition to the Char-Meck disc golf scene. It stands out amongst the other area courses for what it offer: a shorter, technical course that's going to yield plenty of birdies but also punish bad throws.
- This is a great layout. It's not just the variety you get (wooded, open, elevation, long, short, etc.) but it's the entire 'fun factor' that a majority of the holes offer. Holes such as #3, throwing over a fence, to the downhillers on #5 & 7 (with a dogleg factor on #7) to the dogleg on #10, to #14 and it's sloped fairway and #16, being the proverbial long, open hole with a great approach shot…this course offered enjoyment throughout.
- Add to the layout, and one of the two appealing aspects, is that the course is heavily a mid-range level of course. Depending what layout you're playing, the average hole length is around 315 feet. Take away #16 at 675 feet, and the other 17 holes average around 295 feet. The point being if you can throw accurate (or somewhat accurate, in my case) in the 250 - 300 foot range, you're going to play well.
- The other part of this course's appeal is the incredibly high risk/reward factor. Most players, on most courses they play often, have a pretty narrow scoring range. For example, courses I've played often, such as Nevin or Hornets Nest, my rounds are consistently within a five to six stroke window. This course seems like it's going to have a huge window. For intermediate and above level players, I see every hole being birdie-able on a regular basis, with the possible exceptions of #12 and 15 (when it's in the long position). Every other hole offers a very reasonable chance for a birdie with a good shot. The flip side is that if you miss your lines, you'll hit trees, end up in some nasty rough or out of bounds. The point being, I could see many players getting 2 or 4 & 5s on the same holes due to hitting or missing lines by a matter of inches. Holes I thought I should birdie, I ended up bogeying (#11), while get a surprising birdie on a hole I didn't expect to (#10).
- Adding to that, the course does reward smart shot-making. You can take out the whole risk/reward dynamic and just play the entire course cautiously. And in truth, if you do that you'll probably end up with mostly pars with a birdie or two on the card. You can play for a safe round, and probably end up under par for the round. But what fun is that, playing a course like this, so cautiously?
- Somehow 18 holes were managed to be squeezed in such a small plot of land. It gets a little tight on some holes - hello safety wall on #12 - along with holes that play next to each other - watch for discs sailing right on #2 onto #3's fairway. During a normal day this shouldn't be an issue, during tournaments; however, it could get a little dicey.
- Easy to navigate. Lack of space results in short walks between tees. That also means this course is a good one for squeezing in a quicker than normal round. That's assuming you don't have to spend time searching for a disc in the woods or thick rough.
- Nice baskets and tee pads. This still has that new course smell to it.
Cons: Being so new, the course is still being tinkered with, some slight modifications are expected to take place.
- The rough is ROUGH is spots. The area in between holes #15 & 16 is thick. There's also thick stuff on other holes. I got to know it quite well on #2. Add to that the abundance of trees and tight fairways, which could result in crazy bounces off trees. All of that can lead to long searches for discs. I wore long pants while playing this course in July. Sacrificing a little comfort in the heat was definitely worth it when I was searching for my disc in the rough.
- The flip side of having a course in a tight space is that you have a course in a tight space. Beware of discs potentially ending up on other holes, or having discs from other holes coming your direction. Navigation is really good, but if you're distracted, say you're walking and writing in your scorecard, there are a couple spots where you could easily walk to the wrong hole. The last part is more a matter of DGer error, but it is there. On the flip side, that means it could be easy to skip holes if you're in a hurry or trying to jump around a large group. And as mentioned, when the course is packed, it could present some challenges.
- With the high level of a risk/reward factor involved, there's also a 'lucky vs unlucky' factor. For some, the line is so thin between great and unlucky shots, and good and bad rounds. You get a couple of unlucky bounces in a row, and the frustration level may start simmering. I had what appeared to be a great shot on #3, throwing a shot over the fence and fading back to the basket. It looked really good, until hearing the thud of it hitting something. That something ended up being a small branch that was less than an inch thick. In the end, I'm a believer of the law of averages, so the good and bad breaks should even out by the end.
- As mentioned in earlier reviews, the lack of tee signs present a challenge on several holes. Permanent ones are coming. In the meantime, on holes such as #12, you can't see the basket, meaning you're either walking half the hole/up the hill to see the basket, or saying 'screw it' and just throwing up the fairway to the dogleg right. Huey, or someone else, when the tee signs are in, remind me and I'll delete this note.
- I don't think this is a con, but I'll just mention for the sake of saying it. I could see the overall lack of distance variety being a con to some. I could see an advanced player playing this course with only two or three different discs. That 'lack' of variety is why I'm putting it here.
Other Thoughts: Robbins really is a fun course. It's not the most challenging course due to the lack of length. Now, if you stretched out the layout, made most of these holes 400 - 500 feet instead of 300, then this course would be brutal. It's an angry tiger on a tranquilizer right now, and I'm not about to anger the beast.
- This is another great addition to the Charlotte-area DG scene. As if we didn't have enough great courses already, Huey gave us another one. Robbins filled a void we didn't know we needed, but now that it's open, it's different than any other course in the area. The closest comp I could think of is Yadkin County Park, an hour north of this course.
- Wow, so hard to find one favorite hole on the course. A lot will have to do with what ones I birdied that day. In lieu of that, I'll instead mention a fun hole I've yet to acknowledge - #13. It's a dogleg right with the hole sloping downhill towards the basket. Don't go long or you will end up in the rough. This is a hole I wish I hadn't hit a tree two-thirds of the way down the fairway because I would have loved to have had a really run at the basket.
- This is in the 3.25 - 3.5 range for me. It's pretty maxed out its ceiling. But, based on its layout, that's fine in my book.
- With this course in the mix, there's now a great one-day disc golf trip to the Charlotte area without being in the Queen City. Take Robbins, Bradford, Bracketts, Stumpy and Bailey, you have an awesome trip all on the north side of town. Check this place out.

Date: 9/4/2014 Designer Response by: 1978
Thanks for the review. The plan is to have the rough brush hogged a few times during the year to get a nice consistent grass. Additionally, the long tees I'll be putting in on 1, 2, 17 will really add some bite and will make those holes 370, 415, 310 respectively. In tournaments,there will be island green rules on #16 and temp walls that I dont have permission to have in place all the time. There will be a permanent wall on 3 as well. I play a lot of courses where discs can stray. I think Nevin is the only one where you dont have to worry. I firmly believe in protecting players and will complete them as quickly as possible. If anyone has wire fencing PM me!
*Beware what you ask for...who knows what will be disturbed when the full park is completed... Robbins might fully encompass the entire rim of the park and we will have our 600' wooded par 4's

Not for Beginners

1    7/3/2014   7/3/2014
Review By: illuminatefreak
Pros:
- Easy to navigate . didn't have a map and never got lost or confused... great signage!
- Variety of holes . left, right, straight, long, short, uphill, downhill... it's got it all
- Good use of property and well maintained fairways
- No other use of space . never throwing near a soccer field, picnic area, etc.
- Makes you think before you throw
- Great use of landscape
- Concrete teepads are being added
- Very challenging but fair
Cons:
- Not many holes to let it rip . the couple that there are will punish you in the rough if you're not accurate with your throws
- Too many fast greens . this is only an opinion, but it was frustrating to have a nice upshot only to approach the basket to find your disc rolled down the hill
- Some holes have death trap roughs to lose discs . prickers, swamp-like environment, etc. (brought someone new to the sport and he lost two discs)
- Not a lot of need for disc variety . I used a putter or midrange for most of my drives
- Poison ivy/oak . be aware of both, especially in the rough (but saw some near trees/brush next to baskets and on some fairways)
**It's a rough course for sure. My father-in-law joined me (he's a beginner) and had a pretty tough time, lost 2 discs, and found it more challenging than he could handle.
**The rough is punishing but you're nicely rewarded if you stay in the fairways
**Bring a buddy... you'll want a spotter on some holes if you're not confident in your accuracy

If you're a skilled player or looking to hone in on your accuracy, than this might be a great place for you. If you're a beginner, or even novice, be prepared to get spanked. Holes aren't horribly long, but the rough is simply very dense in various places.

I gave this a 4 because I see the potential of it as it goes on so I didn't want to take away from that. I'd probably go closer to a 3 if I were rating in on this experience, but I see things improving as it gets played more often.

For comparison, I got a 52 at Yadkin County Park and a 64 here (beginning friend got a 74 at Yadkin & 88 here). HOWEVER, don't let all the wording like "punishing rough" and "fast greens" stop you from trying it out. I think it's challenging for my skill level (novice), but it's definitely FAIR. It's not impossible to hit the lines, and they are outlined well. It's just when you don't hit them, you'll feel it. Just because it's challenging, doesn't mean it's not a good course. Just leave your pride in your car... the course will be sure to humble you.

So, bring a buddy, chuck some plastic, and have fun!

Date: 7/14/2014 Designer Response by: 1978
Thanks for the review. Some of the OB will be moved away or further back. I am still fixing some stuff with tee placements. In all the rough I try to mow out where I think discs will land to help finding them easier. Some more tree planting and changes to the bordering park will effect the course possitively and hopefull get us some xtra land/ Thanks for play, hope you come back. Pushed OB back on #13 this weekend 7/13.

nice course

1    6/29/2014   6/30/2014
Review By: JHCourtney
Pros: Nice mix of different shots.

Brand new pro 28 baskets

Nice signage

This is one of the most fair courses i think I've played. Allows you to score well for making good shots and punishes the right amount for errant ones.

Cons: Rough rough. but this will change due to it being so new. Lots of poison ivy so be aware.

Other Thoughts: This course has a hint of renny in it but not so hard. Its like an am players short less demanding renny.

Robbins ~ OPEN!

5+    6/26/2014   6/26/2014
Review By: 1978
This review was updated on 10/21/2014
Pros: This course plays through a very pretty mature forest, along a creek and hillside.
Variety, elevation, risk.
Course starts along a dry retention pond and continues through some moderatly wooded to open land then transitions to more wooded holes. Holes 5-8 throw up and down the hill that bisects the property and across the stream that cuts through it. Alternating up and down with different shot shapes you play 2 up and 2 down the slope, on all 4 you have to hit a gap to get clear to the open basket location. Hole 9&10 are hyzers but 9 is an agressive line that finishes up a hill 10 is flatter and longer. 11 is a short hole with OB long. The basket looks ground level but is actually on a raised pole on the back side of a hill. The next 3 holes play along the ridge/creek line in the woods...then you get 2 long drive wide open holes. Hole 16 a Par 4. Hole 17 is a risky 220' shot and 18 a beautiful throw from a raised tee pad along a power line cut.

I was very limited in the land that I could use. Where possible there are a few holes where you can rip a drive. Most players will need their entire bag here. The small but OB creek is used a number of times to create risk. You have the ability here to throw up and down elevation unlike many Charlotte courses. Baskets (protected from erosion with retaining walls) are often placed on fast greens so you will need to think about the spin of your disc, or how aggressively you putt. Many players will enjoy birdies here if they stay out of trouble. Course is well marked, look for tee signs at every hole and yellow signs with black arrows for direction. Erosion control has been created before erosion starts. OB is marked with Red and White metal fence posts and is very visible. Much of the OB is lined with hose, making it even better to determine your lie. The 2 Mandos on the course should not come into play unless the player is attempting to cut them. Fencing protect teeboxes/ players from rare but possible errant throws from adjacent fairways. Trashcans are placed throughout the course as well as benches with more to come. Very safe /secluded park positioned between two housing developments. Currently it is not shared property.

*Good news, the park departmet has added mowing to their contract.

Every pad has at least 1 level end; run up or run off. Very soon, every pad will be either ground level or have hard packed gravel filled retaining walls at least 2.5'. So effective length, including the flat retaining wall or level ground, for each hole will be at least 10' many at 12'-15'+ with no dangerous drop offs after the pads.
Cons: Currently I have not determined a good way to build a bridge on 18 so it can be slippery. A few areas could use a set of stairs. The course is designed for the intermediate player but with risk to interest the advanced player. There is quite a bit of OB to navigate but you should be able to throw around it.
Temporary bridge on #5.
Hand made Huey tee signs (permanant to come)
Distances are paced but because of the elevation, they can be misleading. 270' holes play 220' and 415' hole play 440'.

22 pads of concrete poured! Just in case you wanted to update your review of Robbins. Played them all yesterday, they are almost TOO grippy!

Based on the pictures there are like 1000's of Papillon dogs all over the course.
Other Thoughts: My favorite holes here are 3, 8 & 14. I might be partial as the course designer but I put a lot of work and thought into the course to make it a fun place to play. I tried to lean on my experience and mentors to create a well rounded course with the amenities that players expect. I think you will enjoy it, more to come! I'd rate 4.5 with permanent tee signs and concrete.