Louisville, KY
Coyote Trace Share
Uploaded By: AdamE   (Taken 1/2014)
Course Logo

future top 10

1    5/11/2015   5/19/2015
Review By: discNDav
Pros: Private, nothing but golf here. Great variety of terrain on this property; you will encounter uphill, down hill, creeks, grass, woods and rocks as you navigate this tremendous par 65 course. The map provided includes distances to obstacles down the fairway or how far to the basket, this was helpful playing the course a first time. Easy navigation with next tee arrows and very good tee signs.The water hazards are well marked with string and red stakes.

Not an easy "walk through the park", but this only adds to the challenge.

Over time as more players play and rate this course, I believe it will become a top 10 course!

Located not far from interstate I-265, this is always a bonus when traveling.

#1 - fun down hill shot which plays much shorter than 375'. I'm sure you can bogey it as easily as birdie it.

#2 - great right to left tunnel shot to a pin placement on a peninsula like piece of land.

#4 - good uphill par 4 hole, stay away from the right side.

#5 - signature par 5 898' hole over prairie grass slightly uphill then a very fun downhill shot. Well mowed and simply beautiful!

#6 - don't go right, it looks great but not where you want to be playing from.

#7 - creek along the entire left side.

#8 - tough par 4 that has two separate fairways the last 200 feet.

9W ghost ace run shot in-between 8 and 9.

#13 - par 4 which requires a well placed approach shot with water and drop off around the basket area.

#14 - good open uphill then wooded right to left hole.

#15 - beautiful par 3.

#17 - great par 4.

#18 - great finishing par 4 hole, the out of the woods tee shot reminded me of the #11 Y shot at Idlewild or #18 at Burchfield (in Michigan). Downhill, uphill, left to right avoiding the pond to finish.

Cons: Bring bug stray. I heard stories of a lot of tics but saw none on me.

No pictures on this site.

The tee signs show A and B basket positions, you can't tell which position the baskets are in from the signs though.

Nitpicking: The front 9 doesn't loop back to the start.
Other Thoughts: Communication with Eric via email days ahead of time and even text while arriving early from two hours away was much appreciated.

Some baskets were elevated more than usual.

This course was the hi-lite of an 11 day, 9 course, 6 state road trip for me which included Harmon Hills and the IDGC!

I generally avoid 'heavily wooded' courses but noting was too tight or unfair here.

The large wood chipped tee boxes posed no problems and were surprisingly level without ruts in them.

Eric left a cooler with cold beverages at the picnic area to enjoy at the end of your round. Please donate to the course, I have no idea how donations would even come close covering the expense to mow this course.

A blast technical course

1    5/1/2015   5/5/2015
Review By: discgolferba
Pros: Technical placement on every hole. Has a great mixture of long and short.

The course flows extremely well and you never have to back track between holes.

Best signage I've ever seen.
Cons: You need to walk the course to see the lines. It's a real tough course to play blind even with magnificent signage.
Other Thoughts: It's a must. Bring some cash to donate to this wonderful course.

Play 2 rounds and pack a lunch.

I was able to use my Ridge roller there no problem.

Blend Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge, and…voila!

1    3/29/2015   3/29/2015
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: Having heard the Buzz(z) about Coyote Trace, and coming up on my course #200, I decided to make this stop one to share a Sunday with friends, and could not have been more happy that I did. Eric Parr humbly states that he hasn't been playing disc golf all that long, has never designed a course before, and admits that this baby is often actually too challenging for his game. But he had a fantastic canvas of Kentucky land on which to build a course, he got help from, and actually listened to, some folks who really understand the uniqueness of disc flight, and combined that with his history of ball golf to paint a masterpiece.

Intentionally laying out holes with multiple stages of flight, he and his friends have built a true par-65 disc golf course that will challenge Advanced players, while staying enjoyable for all levels from Recreational through Open. Though it only opened last July, this course feels 'weathered in' as if it's been here for a few years already. The paths are well worn in, and easy to follow (he talks you through the layout, is willing to guide, and provides a map, to go along with the excellent signage, next tee arrows, flagged path markers, and logical flow).

The fairways are all fair, and you can see the multiple options of flight lines it will take to score well…but can you execute the shots? What struck me most, though, was the beauty of the terrain, and the amount of work already put in to this course. There are an almost unbelievable quantity of the needed amenities here, from huge, log-boxed, level, mulched tee boxes, split log benches and stools, many, many bridges and steps to cross the creek beds, disc retrieving poles near pond(s) and steep-banked creek beds, red stakes to easily spot the OB hazards where needed, 18 fantastic DisCatcher baskets (plus one for practice, and a sport for the ace run extra hole 9W) and even a couple of places where logs have been placed to 'fence in' an overly punitive roll away putt.

Most of the holes have gut-check greens and pin positions, like an elevated basket on a slope, or a basket position near the joining of two creeks. And the variety…superb! I remember thinking to myself by about the eighth hole, that he'd covered every type of shot, and we weren't even half done. But what struck us almost every step of the way, was the beauty here, from open hillsides down to an angled, cedar-bordered fairway, through the little, rocky 'waterfall' spillways in the creek beds, and back up through (mostly) forgiving woods to picturesque, ridge-running lanes. Numerous times, you'll take a brief gasp at the beautiful shot you get a chance to throw, over a wide ravine, hoping for the placement shot that will set you up for the next part of the fairway.

I could easily make this my longest review to date, but in an effort to be brief, I'll just point out that this is only my third 5.0 rated course in 182 reviews. I give 5's not for perfection, but for courses that could not realistically be scored lower that 4.5, and have gone above and beyond. They're adding tees here to have a fun, shorter layout, and some tees will obviously create an even more brutal Gold layout. There are 2 and sometimes 3 basket positions per hole. If I had to sum this up, and at the risk of sacrilege, I really felt this course is a beautiful blend of Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild. And if that doesn't get you planning a road trip, I'm not sure what will!
Cons: I don't want to sound trite, but my main complaint is that this course isn't in my town! I know some folks would never give a top rating to a course with mulched tees, but you need to play this. They're really, really good. Hmm, cons? Maybe hole 8 needs a few rocks in the first muddy drainage crossing like they've got spanning the second, and it might use a better transition to step down and cross the creek…in the spring. I mean, c'mon! There's very little I wouldn't do the same way he's got it set up. I even thought before coming, that he could easily renumber the layout to get the turnaround visit back up by the start done on the ninth hole, but coming back up on the fourth hole gives Eric a chance to check on you and make sure you're not lost. Perhaps some folks don't want to play a private course, donate a few bucks, and sign off on a waiver, but then, don't play here. I'll be coming back, and probably drop him a few more bucks the next time.
Other Thoughts: Make sure you call ahead and book a 'tee time' with Eric. Don't monopolize his time (with which he's very generous), but this course, believe it or not, deserves even more buzz. We kept saying as we played, I don't recall ever playing through a course, and saying out loud, "Hey, this is beautiful! I'm loving this course!", and the score keeper asking, "What did you take there?" …and, still smiling, answer, "six." I know, one of many future trips down here, I'm going to smile, and get that one down to a four!

You can find all types of holes here.

1    11/12/2014   11/12/2014
Review By: Welpekatze
This review was updated on 11/20/2014
Pros: This is one of my new favorite courses in the area! I absolutely love the setting of the course.

The course is laid out over dozens of acres of hilly, wooded, and open terrains. The tee boxes are beautiful, large, handmade, 3-sided logs filled in with wood chips. I like that the back is open allowing for those players like myself who have a long run-up to their drive.

There are orange trail markers on the trees and branches to help you see the basket from far off and to help keep you on the course.

The map you get is very accurate with precise distances and matching hole overviews.

There are a few baskets near the water, which is really just a small stream/creek that may get larger in the rainy, spring season. On hole 7, there is a long cane pole with a hook to help any unfortunate players retrieve their discs that ended up in the creek washout that's just in front of the basket.

Eric, the owner and guide, was very kind and congenial. He happily answered my questions and gave an excellent, brief description of the holes and the course in general. He requires that he be on site when there are players present.
Cons: The wood chips in the tee boxes can become slippery when you go to drive, especially after it rains.

Since it's a private course, you can't just show up. But, when I played, I called when I was about 15 minutes away and the course owner, Eric, met me promptly when I arrived and gave me the run down of the course, a map, a scorecard, and I signed the liability waiver.

Parking in the designated spots for players was not easily identified until after I began walking to the first hole, but maybe it's different on weekends.
Other Thoughts: If you're playing around dusk, it seems a bit ominous to be in the forest alone.

If you're new to the course, I wouldn't go without the map. Some of the holes are long and it can be a bit confusing, especially when you can't see the basket.

Would not be surprised to see more wildlife each time I went! Very peaceful location.

This course is free, but definitely worth a $5 donation, if not more.

Challenging for the best of the best

2-4    11/10/2014   11/11/2014
Review By: AceInTheHole88
Pros: Built with the land, not on the land: great thought and craftmanship with the various benches, guide rails, steps, etc. Pretty good marking between holes, and I really like the waypoints/visual markers with distance marked on the holes themselves. Long, narrow, fiercely challenging.
Cons: Bad shots! Brutally unforgiving if you badly misplace a drive. Numerous 6's and a 7 or two for a 10-year veteran. Water hazards aren't too bad save for the ace hole (currently 10W) which shoots at the far bank of the converging creek braches. Pretty cool, but very risky. General brush cleanup on a few holes (which is in the works)
Other Thoughts: Owner Eric was very friendly and helpful.
Any disc golfer looking for the ultimate challenging course should play here. Having played all over Ohio and probably a dozen other courses in various states, this is easily in my top two or three in terms of difficulty. Eat well beforehand and bring some snacks because this course will take it out of you!

Coyote Trace

2-4    8/9/2014   8/11/2014
Review By: Atvizory2000
Pros: This brand new private course in the Louisville area is phenomenal! Great use of the land. The course has elevation changes, creeks, ponds, tunnel shots, and a few open shots. Owner is very hospitable and keeps the course very clean. You will use a lot of shots here and the course punishes you for not hitting your lines. Overall this is an awesome new course that will make you a better player.
Cons: The course has no concrete tee pads. Only mulch pads. Just takes some time getting use to them. Expect a few slips throughout your round. The rough here is really rough. Being a new course, there are piles of brush and logs throughout the course. Ticks and chiggers are really bad, but that's also to be expected from a course in the woods.
Other Thoughts: This course has championship capability! It's still a little rough around the edges but that's to be expected for a new course. Really the only thing I thought was missing, was 2 or 3 more open holes. Hole 5 is the only open hole you can let it rip. My rating could definitely move up from a 4.5 to a 5 when the course really gets settled in and all the edges get smoothed out!

1    8/9/2014   8/10/2014
Review By: matthew pinkston
Pros: great course and long very technical will be a great course for a future a tier or even bring in the pros on there national tour be interesting to see them throw this course on the rating I give it a 5.
Other Thoughts: will love to see pdga tournaments here in the future.

The new best!

1    7/5/2014   8/7/2014
Review By: xTOMMYxIRISHx
Pros: -The best of both worlds! This course has a great mix of short and long holes.
-The course will make you hit you're lines and you will also need to make a lot of placement shots.
-The course is private so you won't have any random people walking on the course.
-This course works great with CV and SL.
Cons: -They need some better tee pads and I know Eric and Kyle are working on that.
-I like to see some trash cans and benches.
Other Thoughts: -I plan on running one event here before the end of the year and I hope to see a ton of people there!

Gold Mine

2-4    8/2/2014   8/3/2014
Review By: goosefraba1
Pros: Let me preface this by noting that I have played several top notch courses including: Flip City, Idlewild, Mt. Airy, Lincoln Ridge, and Holler in the Hills. This course is not just on the level of those courses.... it exceeds them. From other golfers, I had heard that this was new gem for dg in the state.... but they had no way of explaining just how great the piece of land is. I had heard, "it's a short idlewild", "it's a long veterans park", or "it's like the good parts of CV mixed with the woods of Iroquis". None of these really held true. Coyote Trace is its own beast. We made a tee time the night before and met the owner, Eric, the morning of the round. Eric explained shortly how he got into dg and started building his dream (I will let you get that information on your own). His ball golf background quickly shows in the course... and that he really knows how force you to throw a placement shot. Among other things, he had a course map waiting for us, some bug spray (which was much needed), and told us that he had beverages for after our round. He then led us to hole 1. Without going into details of every hole (which you can read in the previous reviews) I must say that hole 1 is a tone setter for this course. It quickly shows you that in order to score well on this course, you have to hit technical lines and get the distance to boot. Just one more hole to talk about quickly.... Hole 5 makes the 1000 footer at Idlewild look funny. It is a 880ish footer that let's you throw about 400 feet before having you throw another 400+ feet downhill and over cedars. Just an amazing hole and very picturesque. The whole course is filled with holes that would be a signature hole on any other course in Kentucky. The wooded holes are tight and technical. The Openish holes make you hit lines to set you up for your approach. This is no ordinary course. The course offers several elevated baskets. These are well done so that if you miss the putt, you are probably going to have an even harder comeback putt. The risk/reward is probably better than most courses that I have played and I was constantly forced to throw shots that I was not necessarily comfortable with. I cannot believe that this course has only been open for a month, it looks like it is already broken in. I would be amazed if this course did not find its way into the top 10 courses on dgcr at some point. I am also amazed that it doesn't have more 5 star reviews... these guys must be playing much better courses than me.

Cons: There are very few cons to speak of. The first being that the cedar chip pads are not compacted yet. This is not something that I would knock a review down for because they will compact in the future. There is possible plans it seems for a different surface. Secondly, the bugs are serious here... I have 50+ bites on me. Not a big deal... something that I expect when I play a course during the dry months. Finally, I regret that this course is not in Lexington. I would play it constantly.
This is a great addition to Kentucky disc golf. I see there being several huge tournaments here in the future... and possibly featuring some big names. My only fear is that this course becomes too popular for the owners to handle. I am not sure that they understand how awesome this course really is.

Coyote Trace

1    7/28/2014   7/31/2014
Review By: Ghov502
Pros: Great Course that will challeng all levels of disc golfers. Even the most seasoned players will find they will need to pull out all the shot shaping skills they have. The course has varied terrain with open shots and tunnel shots as well as long holes and short holes. Alot of thought went in to the layout and design and it shows.
Cons: Some of the rough is really rough but that will change as more people have played and knock some of it down
Other Thoughts: You need to make a tee time but the hospitality was awesome and you should go out of your way to make it out to this course