Louisville, KY
Coyote Trace Share
Uploaded By: Drivethrutke Hole #13 (Taken 6/2015)

< Prev 1 2 3
Another great course!!

1    6/21/2015   7/9/2015
Review By: Chainchaser
Pros: So to start off I want to say that the owners of this land have a gem. When we got close we were able to text and talk with them to find out exactly where it was and how to proceed. This is what disc golf should be and hopefully we will see more land owners like this so great courses can be created and cared for.

Me and my family have traveled all around the Ohio, Kentucky and indiana area. This course ranks right up there with the best. The scenery alone is worth the five dollars much less the course. Being a mediocre player I understand that a course like this is going to be tough so I never judge a course on a bad round.

This course meanders through some beautiful land and makes you bring your complete game. From wooded shots to a few open holes you must bring your accuracy no doubt. I trully like the way the stream winds its way through the course and how the course , as mentioned in another review, was set to the land and not just on the land. As you move through this course you see that someone not only put a lot of thought into the layout but that they also truly love this course. From the streams to the use of logs as benches and fences this course just screams what disc golf should be about. I hope as disc golfers we show the owners, course and land the respect it deserves.

Even though this course was spread out on a large spread of land we really never felt lost or turned around. We generally did not have an issue finding the next tee except for one or two holes but it was not anything that was too bad.

Cons: Probably the only real con is the tee pads. Which were a little slick but still very functional. Understanding the cost of cement pads I understand why they are there and really didn't take that much away from the course.

The only other con I can think of is we didn't see bigfoot because we sure were far enough into woods that we could have!!
Other Thoughts: The only thing left to say is that who ever left the beer bottle hanging on the tree let's be a little smarter than that. You are being invited to play a great course for an unbelievable value so please act like you have some sense. I understand that people will drop something here and there but this was a blatant disrespect of the owners, land and course. Yea it was just one beer bottle but one is too much. If you take it in carry it out or don't take it in at all.

I want to thank the owners for an unbelievable disc golf experience and also for returning my sons disc.

Can't Wait to Return

1    6/29/2015   6/30/2015
Review By: natecappy
Pros: Where to start? Upon arrival, the owner was very friendly and welcoming to the course. I appreciate that he is organized and thorough in the manner in which the course is run including tee times and player waivers. That adds an element of professionalism to the experience. As the owner cordially greeted us, he gave us a rundown of the course. This included offering the most accurate course maps I have ever seen which included useful information such as distances to corners and landing zones. I appreciate his approach to lost discs, which can be recorded to ensure disc owners have their plastic returned. The course itself has a great deal of detail to make the round smooth for players. For example, the center tree on hole #1 likely snags many tee shots which can cause the disc to remain in the tree. At that location you will conveniently find a golf ball retriever with an extension pole to help get discs down. The course itself has a great layout with a mix of open and wooded holes. It is championship style with a number of bomber shots. However, there are also a number of holes within reach for aces or deuces. This creates a nice balance of shots. Believe me; this balance will test your ability to throw all types of shots at one point or another. One nice touch was in an area in which there was a short walk between holes. To eliminate a boring walk, the owner put in a short hole (9W) which is not really part of the course. It gives players the opportunity to have a little fun in the middle of a challenging round. The course was difficult but fair. As I told one of my group members, "this is a disc golfer's dream retirement gig."
Cons: Not many to mention. While the cedar chip tees were very good for natural pads, I could see them getting slick if conditions were not ideal. Even so, these were the nicest natural tees I have ever seen. The only other negative is the need to have a spotter on several holes. While this is not a huge problem, it does take some extra time and walking to help watch everyone in your group.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this course is incredible. It ranks with some of the elite courses. Eric is the nicest owner of a private course that I have ever met. As others have said, he even had a cooler with ice cold beverages available for us after the round. The attention to detail of the course is second to none. Even though I live 4 hours away, my group and I will be making our way back to Coyote Trace.

Another KY gem.

1    6/28/2015   6/30/2015
Review By: InnocentCrook
Pros: Beautiful old farmland. When I think of the rolling hills of the Bluegrass State, this is exactly the type of land I envision. Great mix of mature woods, open grasslands, and mixed, with several creeks and a couple ponds that come into play. This variety really brings all shot shapes and lengths into play just like any top course should. You have holes that are pretty much all open, some from open to woods and vice-versa, and some that are full on wooded. You have lengths from the low 200's to just shy of 900'. The ones that are nothing but wooded have "fair" fairways, nothing crazy tight and the mostly open ones use the hills and tall grasses to keep things challenging. The elevation is quite good as well with plenty of holes that work in ups, downs, valley shots, and side hill type shots.

After a day or two, the thing that seems to really be sticking in my mind is the quality of the multi-shot holes. #5 and #18 especially come to mind.

Design wise, the course really does a superb job of using the land in interesting ways. Tons of tricky, dangerous greens.(Sloped, water nearby, etc.)

Scorecards like a ball golf course w/the course map printed on them, par, and distances. Tee signs with lots of helpful distances. (distance to landing zones, key landmarks, etc.)

The course owner has left retriever devices (Golden Retriever, hooked poles) around the areas where there is a chance of putting one in the drink.
Cons: I really feel like I'm picking nits here. The wood chip tee pads are about as good as any "natural" type tee surface I've played on. They are all boxed in with cedar logs and are generally level and lump free. Concrete pads would be superior but the course is still young so I can't fault the owner much at all.

The rough can be pretty brutal in areas but as with any newer course I expect this to improve with more time and players stomping things down after they've gotten off the fairway.

Peaceful solitude would be some of the first words that come to mind when I think of this course. The land is old farmland that hasn't been a working farm since the 60's I believe and it isn't used for anything but disc golf at this point. Once you're out in the woods it's just you, nature, and the course.

The owner Eric is about as nice a guy as you're gonna meet in this sport and he is more than helpful when it comes to making sure you're set up and ready to roll on your first visit to the course. At my request he even guided myself and my bro in law for the round because I mentioned we were currently building a course on our farmland in Northern Kentucky just south of Cincinnati. He was generous with his time, knowledge, and his experiences in building a course. He along with a small group of locals have also put a ton of money, sweat, and time into this course so please ensure the continued operation by giving him a good donation.

I'll be playing this course any time I roll through Louisville as it truly is the cream of the crop in that area.

BEST Course Around

1    6/14/2015   6/15/2015
Review By: hawgman
Pros: Great Signage, Great flow, all tees clearly marked challenging but still very fun. Everything you can think has been thought of.
Love the cedar chip tee boxes, beautifully laid out holes. Eric will bend over backward to make sure you have a great time. He saw me looking for my disc on 5 and came out and helped and gave a tip for the approach shot. I dont know how he keeps it all maintained.
Cons: Only con I can think of is I didnt have time to play another round.

Make sure to leave yourself time to enjoy this beautiful course.
Other Thoughts: Make sure to donate, and keep this great course open. I loved it the ghost ace run hole on 9w was a blast just missed it to the right it leads you right to the next tee. I love this course. Wildlife all around you, we saw turtles, deer wild turkey and of course squirrels.

I will definitely come back and play again!!!

Hard But Fair

2-4    6/6/2015   6/9/2015
Review By: perica
Pros: Beautiful setting with a wide variety shot shapes over quite dynamic elevation. Many of the holes are wooded and with some length, but are fair.

It rewards distance, but you don't need to be a 500' crusher to do well here. The wooded holes are not "too" tight as well, so it isn't just rolling the dice off the tee.

Eric is super friendly and walked us through the nuances of the course map before we began.

Not crowded at all, it's in a fairly rural area but isn't too far from the highway.
Cons: Picked a few ticks off of me - but hey, not much to do about that.

The course is not two loops of nine. So if you want to get back to the parking area to refill water or something, better do it after hole 4. You're committed once hole 5 starts.

Concrete tee pads would be nice on muddy days, but they weren't necessary when I went.
Other Thoughts: Go play it. This place rocks. And don't skimp on donating to fund the course maintenance.

future top 10

1    5/11/2015   5/19/2015
Review By: discNDav
Pros: Private, nothing but golf here. Great variety of terrain on this property; you will encounter uphill, down hill, creeks, grass, woods and rocks as you navigate this tremendous par 65 course. The map provided includes distances to obstacles down the fairway or how far to the basket, this was helpful playing the course a first time. Easy navigation with next tee arrows and very good tee signs.The water hazards are well marked with string and red stakes.

Not an easy "walk through the park", but this only adds to the challenge.

Over time as more players play and rate this course, I believe it will become a top 10 course!

Located not far from interstate I-265, this is always a bonus when traveling.

#1 - fun down hill shot which plays much shorter than 375'. I'm sure you can bogey it as easily as birdie it.

#2 - great right to left tunnel shot to a pin placement on a peninsula like piece of land.

#4 - good uphill par 4 hole, stay away from the right side.

#5 - signature par 5 898' hole over prairie grass slightly uphill then a very fun downhill shot. Well mowed and simply beautiful!

#6 - don't go right, it looks great but not where you want to be playing from.

#7 - creek along the entire left side.

#8 - tough par 4 that has two separate fairways the last 200 feet.

9W ghost ace run shot in-between 8 and 9.

#13 - par 4 which requires a well placed approach shot with water and drop off around the basket area.

#14 - good open uphill then wooded right to left hole.

#15 - beautiful par 3.

#17 - great par 4.

#18 - great finishing par 4 hole, the out of the woods tee shot reminded me of the #11 Y shot at Idlewild or #18 at Burchfield (in Michigan). Downhill, uphill, left to right avoiding the pond to finish.

Cons: Bring bug stray. I heard stories of a lot of tics but saw none on me.

No pictures on this site.

The tee signs show A and B basket positions, you can't tell which position the baskets are in from the signs though.

Nitpicking: The front 9 doesn't loop back to the start.
Other Thoughts: Communication with Eric via email days ahead of time and even text while arriving early from two hours away was much appreciated.

Some baskets were elevated more than usual.

This course was the hi-lite of an 11 day, 9 course, 6 state road trip for me which included Harmon Hills and the IDGC!

I generally avoid 'heavily wooded' courses but noting was too tight or unfair here.

The large wood chipped tee boxes posed no problems and were surprisingly level without ruts in them.

Eric left a cooler with cold beverages at the picnic area to enjoy at the end of your round. Please donate to the course, I have no idea how donations would even come close covering the expense to mow this course.

A blast technical course

1    5/1/2015   5/5/2015
Review By: discgolferba
Pros: Technical placement on every hole. Has a great mixture of long and short.

The course flows extremely well and you never have to back track between holes.

Best signage I've ever seen.
Cons: You need to walk the course to see the lines. It's a real tough course to play blind even with magnificent signage.
Other Thoughts: It's a must. Bring some cash to donate to this wonderful course.

Play 2 rounds and pack a lunch.

I was able to use my Ridge roller there no problem.

Blend Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge, andůvoila!

1    3/29/2015   3/29/2015
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: Having heard the Buzz(z) about Coyote Trace, and coming up on my course #200, I decided to make this stop one to share a Sunday with friends, and could not have been more happy that I did. Eric Parr humbly states that he hasn't been playing disc golf all that long, has never designed a course before, and admits that this baby is often actually too challenging for his game. But he had a fantastic canvas of Kentucky land on which to build a course, he got help from, and actually listened to, some folks who really understand the uniqueness of disc flight, and combined that with his history of ball golf to paint a masterpiece.

Intentionally laying out holes with multiple stages of flight, he and his friends have built a true par-65 disc golf course that will challenge Advanced players, while staying enjoyable for all levels from Recreational through Open. Though it only opened last July, this course feels 'weathered in' as if it's been here for a few years already. The paths are well worn in, and easy to follow (he talks you through the layout, is willing to guide, and provides a map, to go along with the excellent signage, next tee arrows, flagged path markers, and logical flow).

The fairways are all fair, and you can see the multiple options of flight lines it will take to score well...but can you execute the shots? What struck me most, though, was the beauty of the terrain, and the amount of work already put in to this course. There are an almost unbelievable quantity of the needed amenities here, from huge, log-boxed, level, mulched tee boxes, split log benches and stools, many, many bridges and steps to cross the creek beds, disc retrieving poles near pond(s) and steep-banked creek beds, red stakes to easily spot the OB hazards where needed, 18 fantastic DisCatcher baskets (plus one for practice, and a sport for the ace run extra hole 9W) and even a couple of places where logs have been placed to 'fence in' an overly punitive roll away putt.

Most of the holes have gut-check greens and pin positions, like an elevated basket on a slope, or a basket position near the joining of two creeks. And the variety...superb! I remember thinking to myself by about the eighth hole, that he'd covered every type of shot, and we weren't even half done. But what struck us almost every step of the way, was the beauty here, from open hillsides down to an angled, cedar-bordered fairway, through the little, rocky 'waterfall' spillways in the creek beds, and back up through (mostly) forgiving woods to picturesque, ridge-running lanes. Numerous times, you'll take a brief gasp at the beautiful shot you get a chance to throw, over a wide ravine, hoping for the placement shot that will set you up for the next part of the fairway.

I could easily make this my longest review to date, but in an effort to be brief, I'll just point out that this is only my third 5.0 rated course in 182 reviews. I give 5's not for perfection, but for courses that could not realistically be scored lower that 4.5, and have gone above and beyond. They're adding tees here to have a fun, shorter layout, and some tees will obviously create an even more brutal Gold layout. There are 2 and sometimes 3 basket positions per hole. If I had to sum this up, and at the risk of sacrilege, I really felt this course is a beautiful blend of Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild. And if that doesn't get you planning a road trip, I'm not sure what will!
Cons: I don't want to sound trite, but my main complaint is that this course isn't in my town! I know some folks would never give a top rating to a course with mulched tees, but you need to play this. They're really, really good. Hmm, cons? Maybe hole 8 needs a few rocks in the first muddy drainage crossing like they've got spanning the second, and it might use a better transition to step down and cross the creek...in the spring. I mean, c'mon! There's very little I wouldn't do the same way he's got it set up. I even thought before coming, that he could easily renumber the layout to get the turnaround visit back up by the start done on the ninth hole, but coming back up on the fourth hole gives Eric a chance to check on you and make sure you're not lost. Perhaps some folks don't want to play a private course, donate a few bucks, and sign off on a waiver, but then, don't play here. I'll be coming back, and probably drop him a few more bucks the next time.
Other Thoughts: Make sure you call ahead and book a 'tee time' with Eric. Don't monopolize his time (with which he's very generous), but this course, believe it or not, deserves even more buzz. We kept saying as we played, I don't recall ever playing through a course, and saying out loud, "Hey, this is beautiful! I'm loving this course!", and the score keeper asking, "What did you take there?" ...and, still smiling, answer, "six." I know, one of many future trips down here, I'm going to smile, and get that one down to a four!

You can find all types of holes here.

1    11/12/2014   11/12/2014
Review By: Welpekatze
This review was updated on 11/20/2014
Pros: This is one of my new favorite courses in the area! I absolutely love the setting of the course.

The course is laid out over dozens of acres of hilly, wooded, and open terrains. The tee boxes are beautiful, large, handmade, 3-sided logs filled in with wood chips. I like that the back is open allowing for those players like myself who have a long run-up to their drive.

There are orange trail markers on the trees and branches to help you see the basket from far off and to help keep you on the course.

The map you get is very accurate with precise distances and matching hole overviews.

There are a few baskets near the water, which is really just a small stream/creek that may get larger in the rainy, spring season. On hole 7, there is a long cane pole with a hook to help any unfortunate players retrieve their discs that ended up in the creek washout that's just in front of the basket.

Eric, the owner and guide, was very kind and congenial. He happily answered my questions and gave an excellent, brief description of the holes and the course in general. He requires that he be on site when there are players present.
Cons: The wood chips in the tee boxes can become slippery when you go to drive, especially after it rains.

Since it's a private course, you can't just show up. But, when I played, I called when I was about 15 minutes away and the course owner, Eric, met me promptly when I arrived and gave me the run down of the course, a map, a scorecard, and I signed the liability waiver.

Parking in the designated spots for players was not easily identified until after I began walking to the first hole, but maybe it's different on weekends.
Other Thoughts: If you're playing around dusk, it seems a bit ominous to be in the forest alone.

If you're new to the course, I wouldn't go without the map. Some of the holes are long and it can be a bit confusing, especially when you can't see the basket.

Would not be surprised to see more wildlife each time I went! Very peaceful location.

This course is free, but definitely worth a $5 donation, if not more.

Challenging for the best of the best

2-4    11/10/2014   11/11/2014
Review By: AceInTheHole88
Pros: Built with the land, not on the land: great thought and craftmanship with the various benches, guide rails, steps, etc. Pretty good marking between holes, and I really like the waypoints/visual markers with distance marked on the holes themselves. Long, narrow, fiercely challenging.
Cons: Bad shots! Brutally unforgiving if you badly misplace a drive. Numerous 6's and a 7 or two for a 10-year veteran. Water hazards aren't too bad save for the ace hole (currently 10W) which shoots at the far bank of the converging creek braches. Pretty cool, but very risky. General brush cleanup on a few holes (which is in the works)
Other Thoughts: Owner Eric was very friendly and helpful.
Any disc golfer looking for the ultimate challenging course should play here. Having played all over Ohio and probably a dozen other courses in various states, this is easily in my top two or three in terms of difficulty. Eat well beforehand and bring some snacks because this course will take it out of you!

< Prev 1 2 3