Louisville, KY
Coyote Trace Share
Uploaded By: AdamE   (Taken 1/2014)
Course Logo

Blend Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge, and…voila!

1    3/29/2015   3/29/2015
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: Having heard the Buzz(z) about Coyote Trace, and coming up on my course #200, I decided to make this stop one to share a Sunday with friends, and could not have been more happy that I did. Eric Parr humbly states that he hasn't been playing disc golf all that long, has never designed a course before, and admits that this baby is often actually too challenging for his game. But he had a fantastic canvas of Kentucky land on which to build a course, he got help from, and actually listened to, some folks who really understand the uniqueness of disc flight, and combined that with his history of ball golf to paint a masterpiece.

Intentionally laying out holes with multiple stages of flight, he and his friends have built a true par-65 disc golf course that will challenge Advanced players, while staying enjoyable for all levels from Recreational through Open. Though it only opened last July, this course feels 'weathered in' as if it's been here for a few years already. The paths are well worn in, and easy to follow (he talks you through the layout, is willing to guide, and provides a map, to go along with the excellent signage, next tee arrows, flagged path markers, and logical flow).

The fairways are all fair, and you can see the multiple options of flight lines it will take to score well…but can you execute the shots? What struck me most, though, was the beauty of the terrain, and the amount of work already put in to this course. There are an almost unbelievable quantity of the needed amenities here, from huge, log-boxed, level, mulched tee boxes, split log benches and stools, many, many bridges and steps to cross the creek beds, disc retrieving poles near pond(s) and steep-banked creek beds, red stakes to easily spot the OB hazards where needed, 18 fantastic DisCatcher baskets (plus one for practice, and a sport for the ace run extra hole 9W) and even a couple of places where logs have been placed to 'fence in' an overly punitive roll away putt.

Most of the holes have gut-check greens and pin positions, like an elevated basket on a slope, or a basket position near the joining of two creeks. And the variety…superb! I remember thinking to myself by about the eighth hole, that he'd covered every type of shot, and we weren't even half done. But what struck us almost every step of the way, was the beauty here, from open hillsides down to an angled, cedar-bordered fairway, through the little, rocky 'waterfall' spillways in the creek beds, and back up through (mostly) forgiving woods to picturesque, ridge-running lanes. Numerous times, you'll take a brief gasp at the beautiful shot you get a chance to throw, over a wide ravine, hoping for the placement shot that will set you up for the next part of the fairway.

I could easily make this my longest review to date, but in an effort to be brief, I'll just point out that this is only my third 5.0 rated course in 182 reviews. I give 5's not for perfection, but for courses that could not realistically be scored lower that 4.5, and have gone above and beyond. They're adding tees here to have a fun, shorter layout, and some tees will obviously create an even more brutal Gold layout. There are 2 and sometimes 3 basket positions per hole. If I had to sum this up, and at the risk of sacrilege, I really felt this course is a beautiful blend of Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild. And if that doesn't get you planning a road trip, I'm not sure what will!
Cons: I don't want to sound trite, but my main complaint is that this course isn't in my town! I know some folks would never give a top rating to a course with mulched tees, but you need to play this. They're really, really good. Hmm, cons? Maybe hole 8 needs a few rocks in the first muddy drainage crossing like they've got spanning the second, and it might use a better transition to step down and cross the creek…in the spring. I mean, c'mon! There's very little I wouldn't do the same way he's got it set up. I even thought before coming, that he could easily renumber the layout to get the turnaround visit back up by the start done on the ninth hole, but coming back up on the fourth hole gives Eric a chance to check on you and make sure you're not lost. Perhaps some folks don't want to play a private course, donate a few bucks, and sign off on a waiver, but then, don't play here. I'll be coming back, and probably drop him a few more bucks the next time.
Other Thoughts: Make sure you call ahead and book a 'tee time' with Eric. Don't monopolize his time (with which he's very generous), but this course, believe it or not, deserves even more buzz. We kept saying as we played, I don't recall ever playing through a course, and saying out loud, "Hey, this is beautiful! I'm loving this course!", and the score keeper asking, "What did you take there?" …and, still smiling, answer, "six." I know, one of many future trips down here, I'm going to smile, and get that one down to a four!

You can find all types of holes here.

1    11/12/2014   11/12/2014
Review By: Welpekatze
This review was updated on 11/20/2014
Pros: This is one of my new favorite courses in the area! I absolutely love the setting of the course.

The course is laid out over dozens of acres of hilly, wooded, and open terrains. The tee boxes are beautiful, large, handmade, 3-sided logs filled in with wood chips. I like that the back is open allowing for those players like myself who have a long run-up to their drive.

There are orange trail markers on the trees and branches to help you see the basket from far off and to help keep you on the course.

The map you get is very accurate with precise distances and matching hole overviews.

There are a few baskets near the water, which is really just a small stream/creek that may get larger in the rainy, spring season. On hole 7, there is a long cane pole with a hook to help any unfortunate players retrieve their discs that ended up in the creek washout that's just in front of the basket.

Eric, the owner and guide, was very kind and congenial. He happily answered my questions and gave an excellent, brief description of the holes and the course in general. He requires that he be on site when there are players present.
Cons: The wood chips in the tee boxes can become slippery when you go to drive, especially after it rains.

Since it's a private course, you can't just show up. But, when I played, I called when I was about 15 minutes away and the course owner, Eric, met me promptly when I arrived and gave me the run down of the course, a map, a scorecard, and I signed the liability waiver.

Parking in the designated spots for players was not easily identified until after I began walking to the first hole, but maybe it's different on weekends.
Other Thoughts: If you're playing around dusk, it seems a bit ominous to be in the forest alone.

If you're new to the course, I wouldn't go without the map. Some of the holes are long and it can be a bit confusing, especially when you can't see the basket.

Would not be surprised to see more wildlife each time I went! Very peaceful location.

This course is free, but definitely worth a $5 donation, if not more.

Challenging for the best of the best

2-4    11/10/2014   11/11/2014
Review By: AceInTheHole88
Pros: Built with the land, not on the land: great thought and craftmanship with the various benches, guide rails, steps, etc. Pretty good marking between holes, and I really like the waypoints/visual markers with distance marked on the holes themselves. Long, narrow, fiercely challenging.
Cons: Bad shots! Brutally unforgiving if you badly misplace a drive. Numerous 6's and a 7 or two for a 10-year veteran. Water hazards aren't too bad save for the ace hole (currently 10W) which shoots at the far bank of the converging creek braches. Pretty cool, but very risky. General brush cleanup on a few holes (which is in the works)
Other Thoughts: Owner Eric was very friendly and helpful.
Any disc golfer looking for the ultimate challenging course should play here. Having played all over Ohio and probably a dozen other courses in various states, this is easily in my top two or three in terms of difficulty. Eat well beforehand and bring some snacks because this course will take it out of you!

Coyote Trace

2-4    8/9/2014   8/11/2014
Review By: Atvizory2000
Pros: This brand new private course in the Louisville area is phenomenal! Great use of the land. The course has elevation changes, creeks, ponds, tunnel shots, and a few open shots. Owner is very hospitable and keeps the course very clean. You will use a lot of shots here and the course punishes you for not hitting your lines. Overall this is an awesome new course that will make you a better player.
Cons: The course has no concrete tee pads. Only mulch pads. Just takes some time getting use to them. Expect a few slips throughout your round. The rough here is really rough. Being a new course, there are piles of brush and logs throughout the course. Ticks and chiggers are really bad, but that's also to be expected from a course in the woods.
Other Thoughts: This course has championship capability! It's still a little rough around the edges but that's to be expected for a new course. Really the only thing I thought was missing, was 2 or 3 more open holes. Hole 5 is the only open hole you can let it rip. My rating could definitely move up from a 4.5 to a 5 when the course really gets settled in and all the edges get smoothed out!

1    8/9/2014   8/10/2014
Review By: matthew pinkston
Pros: great course and long very technical will be a great course for a future a tier or even bring in the pros on there national tour be interesting to see them throw this course on the rating I give it a 5.
Other Thoughts: will love to see pdga tournaments here in the future.

The new best!

1    7/5/2014   8/7/2014
Review By: xTOMMYxIRISHx
Pros: -The best of both worlds! This course has a great mix of short and long holes.
-The course will make you hit you're lines and you will also need to make a lot of placement shots.
-The course is private so you won't have any random people walking on the course.
-This course works great with CV and SL.
Cons: -They need some better tee pads and I know Eric and Kyle are working on that.
-I like to see some trash cans and benches.
Other Thoughts: -I plan on running one event here before the end of the year and I hope to see a ton of people there!

Gold Mine

2-4    8/2/2014   8/3/2014
Review By: goosefraba1
Pros: Let me preface this by noting that I have played several top notch courses including: Flip City, Idlewild, Mt. Airy, Lincoln Ridge, and Holler in the Hills. This course is not just on the level of those courses.... it exceeds them. From other golfers, I had heard that this was new gem for dg in the state.... but they had no way of explaining just how great the piece of land is. I had heard, "it's a short idlewild", "it's a long veterans park", or "it's like the good parts of CV mixed with the woods of Iroquis". None of these really held true. Coyote Trace is its own beast. We made a tee time the night before and met the owner, Eric, the morning of the round. Eric explained shortly how he got into dg and started building his dream (I will let you get that information on your own). His ball golf background quickly shows in the course... and that he really knows how force you to throw a placement shot. Among other things, he had a course map waiting for us, some bug spray (which was much needed), and told us that he had beverages for after our round. He then led us to hole 1. Without going into details of every hole (which you can read in the previous reviews) I must say that hole 1 is a tone setter for this course. It quickly shows you that in order to score well on this course, you have to hit technical lines and get the distance to boot. Just one more hole to talk about quickly.... Hole 5 makes the 1000 footer at Idlewild look funny. It is a 880ish footer that let's you throw about 400 feet before having you throw another 400+ feet downhill and over cedars. Just an amazing hole and very picturesque. The whole course is filled with holes that would be a signature hole on any other course in Kentucky. The wooded holes are tight and technical. The Openish holes make you hit lines to set you up for your approach. This is no ordinary course. The course offers several elevated baskets. These are well done so that if you miss the putt, you are probably going to have an even harder comeback putt. The risk/reward is probably better than most courses that I have played and I was constantly forced to throw shots that I was not necessarily comfortable with. I cannot believe that this course has only been open for a month, it looks like it is already broken in. I would be amazed if this course did not find its way into the top 10 courses on dgcr at some point. I am also amazed that it doesn't have more 5 star reviews... these guys must be playing much better courses than me.

Cons: There are very few cons to speak of. The first being that the cedar chip pads are not compacted yet. This is not something that I would knock a review down for because they will compact in the future. There is possible plans it seems for a different surface. Secondly, the bugs are serious here... I have 50+ bites on me. Not a big deal... something that I expect when I play a course during the dry months. Finally, I regret that this course is not in Lexington. I would play it constantly.
This is a great addition to Kentucky disc golf. I see there being several huge tournaments here in the future... and possibly featuring some big names. My only fear is that this course becomes too popular for the owners to handle. I am not sure that they understand how awesome this course really is.

Coyote Trace

1    7/28/2014   7/31/2014
Review By: Ghov502
Pros: Great Course that will challeng all levels of disc golfers. Even the most seasoned players will find they will need to pull out all the shot shaping skills they have. The course has varied terrain with open shots and tunnel shots as well as long holes and short holes. Alot of thought went in to the layout and design and it shows.
Cons: Some of the rough is really rough but that will change as more people have played and knock some of it down
Other Thoughts: You need to make a tee time but the hospitality was awesome and you should go out of your way to make it out to this course

fair and honest challenge

1    7/4/2014   7/27/2014
Review By: g1nked
Pros: i could repeat Russ Marcus and Adams reviews but they are spot on. Id just be repeating myself with the accuracy already aforementioned
Cons: cant call mulch teepads a con seeing as im sure with time that will be corrected. nothing else
Other Thoughts: The course is worth twice any pay course I have played I personally feel its worth the donation and them some.

Worth the trip

1    7/4/2014   7/16/2014
Review By: MarcusGresham
Pros: First you have to start with the family who owns the land, the Parrs. They were absolutely wonderful and were accommodating to anything our group needed on the opening day of the course. They even had bug spray for us to use as we were told the ticks are very thick on the course (that being said, the spray must have been very good because I didn't see a single tick, nor do I recall any of the other three players in my group mentioning having one.)

The course is a challenge for even the best of golfers. You will be punished if you are errant and you will need a wide variety of throws to successfully navigate these 18 holes. You have elevation changes on most holes.

Signs are adequate and they give you a pretty good idea of what you'll need to do from each teepad.
Cons: Even if you have a terrible round you should enjoy your day, as your surroundings are beautiful. The course is on farmland that has been in the family for over 150 years and you'll feel like you've left civilization, as you don't really even see other houses or people while you're out there.

Other Thoughts: *These descriptions are from the white tees, which were what was set up for us to play the opening day. Some holes have longer gold tees.

1. 384'. You tee from inside a grove of trees but they shouldn't be too much problem unless you release extremely high. The fairway is one of the most open you'll experience, but even it isn't a guarantee. There is a large cedar tree in the dead center of the fairway just over 200' from the tee (which currently holds a bright yellow TeeDevil in the extreme upper branches that I hope to get back,) which most will choose to pass on its right as the fairway slopes downhill from the tee and slightly to the left. You want to keep it right, as that left slope takes you into the trees and a stream bed. That stream bed from the left of the fairway runs very close behind the basket.

2. 354' slight dogleg left. There are stream beds along either side of the fairway that converge behind the basket.

3. 261' with a left turn at about 200'. Throw down a narrow valley and make the turn back up the hill.

4. 451' par 4. Long, straight hole. From the tee you're throwing uphill through a tunnel. The fairway does open up, but you'll have to throw back into the trees, as the basket is well-protected in a grove.

5. 855' par 5. This is the longest hole on the course--kind of the (slightly) smaller brother of the monster hole at Idlewild for those who have played there. Tall grass is on both sides of the fairway, although the grass on the right will most likely be what comes into play as the hole does a very slight turn about 400' down the fairway. At that 400' mark there is a large tree in the middle of the fairway that will force most people to stay to the right. Past that tree the fairway begins narrowing and going downhill. Another grouping of trees sits on the right side about 75' in front of the basket, which sits at the edge of the woods, sloping down to a stream bed.

6. 282'. Straight shot, but there's a stream bed to the right.

7. 297'. Stream bed runs along the left side the fairway and there's a very slight left turn at the end of the fairway.

8. 532' par 5. This is a tricky one, as most people won't be able to throw a full-power drive off the teepad. At about 250' the fairway makes a slight left turn, but at that point you have to get through several trees that are still in the center of the fairway which is a bit of a bottleneck. The fairway turns back to the right, and at the end of the fairway you have to cross a stream that is no more than 20' in front of the basket. To make this one even more difficult, there is an alternate gold tee that extends the hole to 567'.

9. 372' par 4. The fairway is narrow at first as you throw out of a group of trees, but opens somewhat to the left. The basket is set back in a group of trees to the right. This one plays slightly uphill.

10. 428' par 4 dogleg left. You throw over a valley that goes back uphill and there is a large cedar tree in the center of the fairway 150' from the basket.

11. 225'. Shortest hole but not the safest. The hole is a slight bit uphill and plays from left to right. The difficulty in this hole is that there is a pond about 15 feet to the right of the basket.

12. 246'. Fairly narrow. There is an extension of the fairway on the map that would indicate that this hole could become a dogleg right that would extend about another 60'-70' .

13. 642' par 5. There is a stream bed that crosses the fairway from about 175' on the left side of the fairway to about 250' on the right. Past that stream the fairway takes a bend to the right and the basket is tucked away with another stream bed behind it.

14. 402'. Dogleg left with two options. From the tee the fairway is a wide open field, slightly uphill. About 175' away there is a group of trees in the middle of the fairway, forcing you to choose to go the short route to their left or slightly longer past them to the right. Whichever choice you make, the fairway turns left there, continuing uphill to the basket.

15. 302' Straight shot with a stream bed about 280' away crossing the fairway.

16. 275'. Drive is across a short valley of high grass and then uphill a bit, with the basket tucked in to the right in an opening in the trees. This hole is listed as a par-4 on the scorecard but that may be a misprint unless there are plans to lengthen the hole. As there is a good distance between the #15 basket and the tee pad this is a possibility.

17. 425' par 4. Throw uphill from the tee and dogleg right about 150-175' into the fairway. If you go left (or even straight through the end of the fairway) you will be in extremely thick rough, much of it thorns & briers--have fun finding your disc, as two of the four in our group lost one here. The fairway widens significantly, and about 250' from the initial left dogleg you'll need to make a 90 degree left into the trees to get to the basket.

#18. Great finishing hole, 398'. The fairway is narrow for the first half of the hole and the entire hole plays uphill. There is a large tree in the middle of the fairway at about 250' that probably makes you play to the right of it, but that makes your second shot tricky, as you'll have to carry a pond that sits in front of the basket. Going directly over the pond is not recommended, as there is a tree on the front left edge and another directly behind the pond. Splitting these two trees to go straight at the basket is difficult (I did it, but it was an accident, as I was trying to go around and just had poor aim that turned out OK.) If you get left of the big tree in the center of the fairway you can throw a turnover, but if you're right of it (and have the arm to do so,) a big hyzer is probably your best bet.