Princeton, WV
Glenwood Park Share
Uploaded By: greg_b_4 Hole #7 (Taken 7/2014)
Hole #7 White Tee

Glenwood Park, I belong.

1    5/26/2015   5/26/2015
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Glenwood Park is a solid, all-around course. Don't let the first three holes fool you. Don't let the first three holes fool you. It gets challenging soon enough.
- Don't let first impressions fool you. After looking at pictures on this site, then pulling into the park, my thought was that this would be a pleasant, and somewhat relaxing, round. The first three holes play in the grass next to the water, all of which offer chances for 2s. Then we started walking, and instead of following along the shoreline, we head off into the woods. And then it got interesting.
- Excellence use of the terrain. Plenty of holes have strong elevation factors, from good uphill holes (#4 & 6) to downhill layouts (#7, 8 & 16). #16 was a quasi-version of #9 at Ashe County Park in Jefferson, NC, which is one of my favorite holes anywhere. Then there are other holes that either start out with elevation, and flatten out or play relatively flat until you get to the basket, adding another level of challenge, such as back-to-back stretch of #13 & 14.
- There's a great mixture of open and wooded holes, or holes that incorporate both aspects throughout the layout. One of my favorite holes is the wide-open fairway #9. It's a 412-foot layout from the white tees (which is where the tee signs are positioned), that starts going slightly downhill to the basket. Oh yeah, the basket is positioned less than 30 feet from the lake so don't go long.
- - As for the other layouts, I really enjoyed the back-to-back holes of #15 & 16. #15 is moderately wooded, downhill, 220-foot dogleg left. Standing on the tee, this seems like a 'should birdie' or potential ace-run hole. Then, be like me, hit a tree, end up in the trees, and write a 4 down on your scorecard. #16 was one of my favorite holes on the course. It's a 283-foot downhill hole that forces you to throw through a gap to a basket that's nestled slightly back in the woods to the right. Out of three of us playing, only one of us was able to avoid trouble and get it close.
- Throughout the course, there's a solid flow to the holes. I enjoyed that after a tough stretch of holes, things might get easier for a hole or two, allowing players a chance to pick up a stroke they might have lost.
- The course presents a good challenge to both the physical and mental game. The course requires almost every type of shot. A big reason for that is the elevation and wide array of hole layouts. And with all that elevation, plus the fact the course is spread out, there's a lot of walking involved. By the time you're walking up the hill on #13, just remember, the course plays mostly downhill from there. With the variety of holes, and elevation & woods, shot placement is key throughout. Even on the more 'birdie-able' holes, you'll need to throw well or be forced to settle for par, or worse (such as ending up in the water on #10).
Cons: I know Greg is going to give me grief for saying this, but it is important to point out for first timers. There are several stretches of long walks between holes. Like other courses I've played (Winthrop in Rock Hill, SC; Randolph Park in Dublin, VA; etc.), there are stretches where you play several holes, then have a long walk to the next stretch of holes, then have another long walk. I list it here because it will effect some people's enjoyment of the course. I look at it as you can either have A. a better course that requires some walks, or B. a lesser quality course with holes that are cramped together. Give me the quality and an extra 5 minutes of walking every time.
- Signage could be better at times, especially on those long walk transitions. If you're a first timer, either print out a map or play with the course designer, as my buddy and I did.
- The holes near the front of the park - #1 - 3 & 18 - have to deal with cars parked in the grass or other park users. As Greg pointed out, cars often park in the grass next to the water, and that can force improved tee pads or skipped holes.
- There was only one hole that didn't have a true 'nature' feel for me. That was #7, and it was mainly due to the fact the tennis courts come into play and/or are part of the hole layout. You tee off from the woods, throwing downhill to a basket situated between tennis courts. The courts are OB, but you can throw off the chain-link fences. I've played holes like this before (#17 at Patriot's Point in Grovetown, GA), and it's just not my cup of tea. Even if I hadn't landed OB on the courts, I still wouldn't be a fan of it.
- The course is muddy and has poor drainage in several different parts. #7 & 12 were two of the biggest culprits. #12 was so bad that we had to skip the hole. That was a shame because that had the layout of an awesome, multi-shot par 5, looking like it easily could have been the course's best hole.
Other Thoughts: Glenwood Park was a different disc golf course from what I was expecting going in. In this case different was a great thing. I knew there would be some elevation and wooded holes, but there was more variety than I imagined.
- Credit goes to Greg for getting this course in the ground and growing the sport throughout the community. I was fortunate enough to play with Greg, and even a downpour couldn't ruin his hospitality or patience. He's a great ambassador for the game, and it's encouraging that he's got a growing local disc golf club.
- The biggest surprise for me was the skill level of the course. I was expecting a more beginner friendly course, and that seemed to be the case after the first three holes. The fact this course has a fair amount of bite to it, and it's still drawing in new players all the time, is all the more impressive.
- A big note that can't be stressed enough. READ THE DIRECTIONS TO THE PARK BEFORE PLAYING HERE!!! GPS and Google give a different address than what is the actual park entrance. As I learned after the fact, the address GPS and Google give will eventually get you to the parking lot. You're basically coming in to the park from the backside and will have to weave through the woods, past many of the holes, before finally getting to the lot. It is what it is, but at least I've done my part and mentioned it.
- This was a fun play. It was the fourth course I'd played that day, and seventh in two days, and I was still able to enjoy my round. There was plenty here to like, more than making up for a missed putt or hole that I didn't agree with (or didn't agree with me). With quality holes and excellent variety, this course gets a 3.5 rating from me. Glenwood is a strong cornerstone of the growing southern West Virginia disc golf scene. Let's hope the area gets more quality courses like this in future.

Wild and Wonderful WV Disc Golf

1    4/15/2015   4/15/2015
Review By: TBabb
Pros: The park is beautiful and offers a few other amenities beyond the course itself (mini golf, picnic tables and kiosks, walking trails, etc.) The disc catcher baskets are like new and are easy to spot from the tees. Hand painted signs are easy to spot and they add some character to the course too. Navigation is mostly intuitive, though I did get a bit confused trying to find the 9th tee. The course is well designed, the 18 holes go in a complete loop, every hole is well thought out, and the sequence of holes allows for a nice progression of difficulty. 3 sets of tees allow for varied difficulty and a few different approaches to the same basket. The course is challenging due to tricky basket placement, varied elevation, several tight wooded shots, water in play, OB, mandos, and more. There are several open holes as well as wooded and a variety of distances. Highlight holes include #7 (a down hill throw with a basket situated between two tennis courts), #10 ( a short straight shot over the pond, #12 (the long bomb) and #16 (a steep downhill shot that bends right at the end). There's plenty of parking, lovely scenery, and the park is very accessible for those in the Bluefield area.
Cons: Natural tees were really muddy on the rainy day when I played. Concrete would have been nice. Briars made the rough very rough. First three holes were pretty boring. Free during the off season but pay to play May-September. The fee is modest ($2) but I've played many free, better courses. Hopefully the cash that comes in will make the course continue to improve! I also imagine that bugs will be rough in the summer, and the ground gets pretty saturated in some spots due to rain and snowmelt.
Other Thoughts: It's a lovely place to play a round. Be advised that the address listed on the DGCR listing (1823 Glenwood Park Rd.) will not get you to the course. Follow the directions listed instead, it's off of New Hope Rd. With 3 sets of tees, lots of challenge, and great mountainous terrain, this course really lives of to WV's state tagline: "Wild and Wonderfull!"

An excellent course to help grow DG in Princeton

1    11/25/2014   11/25/2014
Review By: splatbaseball51
Pros: I'll preface my review by saying I was lucky enough to play my round with the designer, Greg, which provided me with additional insight that I'll go into below.

The beauty of the park is the first thing I noticed. The course begins near a mini golf course, both on the banks of a beautiful lake. I didn't see any wildlife while I was there but we did see deer tracks and Greg mentioned he has seen them in the past. I give the scenery an A!

There was an ample amount of each type of shot at Glenwood. A few holes required bombing at least a fairway driver from the whites, while others will be putters. Plenty of elevation changes, namely holes 8 and 16(signature hole) which were both really fun. As short as it is, I really liked hole 2 as well.

The lake comes into play on several shots along the final stretch of holes, but is only thrown over once. It was unfortunate that a longer water shot couldn't have been implemented, but Greg informed me that the obvious spot for such a shot is a typical wedding venue and was off limits. Bummer.

Anyone playing Advanced or higher will probably crush the whites. From what I saw from the blues, the course does become more difficult but I have to say I disagree with many of the pars. See my cons below.

Despite the course being all par 3's (in my opinion, only exception being maybe the par 5 being a 4), there was plenty of challenge on the course. At least half of the holes required technical placement of the tee shot in order to play effectively. There were plenty of open shots where a poor drive could be remedied, however, by a good up shot. The real challenge of the open holes was the wind, which I imagine is present most of the year.

Greg also hand painted the tee signs, which were honestly really nice and I salute the effort.
Cons: As others have pointed out, the walks between holes can be rather long at times. As I was playing with the designer, naturally navigation wasn't an issue for me, but it might be for someone without a map. Just be sure to print off a map. The way the land is set up, it seems like it would be hard to have 2 9-hole loops. If it were up to me, I'd probably lengthen many of the holes to shorten up the walks in-between.

Again, the other top complaint are the pars. There are many holes that are par 4's and even one par 5 and I honestly feel that they could all be taken down by 1 stroke. The pars make a little more sense if you play blues. The other thing to consider, however, is that the disc golf community in the Princeton area is so small/new that you wouldn't want to scare people off with all par 3's. It would be demoralizing for a newbie so given the circumstances, the pars might be ok for this course for a while. The idea of this course isn't to make an A-tier level venue, it's to give the community there something to play and it does a great job.

It seems like the course can hold a lot of water. Not a major issue as many disc golf courses suffer from this and it is uncontrollable, just something to keep in mind when you pick out your shoes.

The tees were natural. I feel like a broken record when it comes to this, but I will add that Greg specifically asked for concrete but the parks and rec denied the request. Just be careful if it has recently rained.
Other Thoughts: Glenwood is a great course to introduce someone to the game (perfect for Princeton) and yet still offers experienced players challenge as they pass through town. I'll be stopping anytime I'm in town.

It's really nice to see new budding communities of disc golfers. I know how hard it can be to start a disc golf scene, so I wish Greg and the other locals the best of luck going forward.

1    11/7/2014   11/9/2014
Review By: greg_b_4
This review was updated on 11/29/2014
Pros: Course has a great mix of open and wooded holes as well as a great mix of throws needed. It isn't a terribly long course but strategic basket locations makes you earn your putt. Course goes around a beautiful lake and situated in a really pretty park. Open holes are well manicured and the wooded holes while short are technical. 7 open holes, 5 completely wooded, 6 mixed woods and open. All holes have 3 tees (red, white, blue) which makes it ideal for most any level of player. Lots of other amenities to make a hole day of it, including playgrounds, fishing, and mini putt.
Cons: As the designer and builder I can still point out some cons. The transitions between some holes are long but there isn't much that can be done about it as it skips playgrounds, shelters, and parking. The park is only technically open may through september but the baskets stay up and playable. Park charges 2.00 per round during in season. Natural tee pads while not an issue yet will become an issue once the grass wears to dirt and become mud pits. Hopefully park allows me to use gravel or concrete in the future. I would also list lack of signage but I am putting permanent tee signs and navigation signs out this week.
Other Thoughts: Being the designer/installer I wasn't going to review my own course but decided to go ahead and do it. Once the course gets some play and once a club is formed to help raise money and take care of more clearing this can be a very nice course. It is definitely the best in the area but then again there are very few other options. As of now I give the course a B but can go to an B+ after singage and to an A- after better tees.

UPDATE... moved course up to 3.5 with addition of signs

Breakdown of holes...

#1 Par 3 357, 315, 281 ... Good wide open hole to pop the joints and loosen up. Lake on right definitely comes into play and road on left is OB. Basket on slope inviting roll aways.

#2 Par 3 234, 216, 183 ... Blind shot to a basket on roll away slope and under a guarding tree. Road in play on left is OB. Should be birdied.

#3 Par 3 317, 260, 210 ... Hole is a left to righter as it has a mando left to protect parking area for shelter. Very unique green protected by large boulder and trees within 10 feet of basket.

#4 Par 4 406, 295, 240 ... Course enters woods on this hole. 200 ft open placement shot then uphill narrow wooded gap to a well guarded green. If first shot is not executed par is a struggle.

#5 Par 3 261, 226, 138 ... Short but technical left to right. Next to impossible to get a birdie putt within the circle. Hit fairway to card your par.

#6 Par 3 197, 175, 127 ... Another short but technical wooded hole. Right to left shot and slightly uphill. A very good birdie opportunity. Blue tee while short is a "U" shaped fairway.

#7 Par 4 301, 260, 235 ... Downhill wooded tee shot to a basket placed between two tennis courts and stuck on a severe roll away slope. Risk/reward hole as if you play aggressive you can get an eagle while if you misplay that shot you are taking a drop at the bottom of the hill. Smart play gives an automatic birdie.

#8 Par 3 353, 296, 203 ... Severe downhill wooded tunnel shot to a green guarded by a huge boulder in front and trees all around. An epic hole.

#9 Par 4 518, 412, 346 ... The best opportunity to rip a drive. Long straight shot toward the lake and usually into the wind. Three huge trees midway down fairway forces you to be careful of your tee shot. Par should be automatic with a well played upshot should give birdie chance.

#10 Par 3 225, 175, 100 ... What's better than a true ace run hole? An ace run hole over the water. While this hole should be a great shot at an ace it is hard not to let the water get in your head as the basket is 10 feet on the other side of the inlet. Extremely fun hole to play.

#11 Par 3 278, 248, 208 ... Deceptively tough hole. It plays more uphill than it appears and tree line on right does not allow for a hyzer shot even though the basket location calls for it. Very few birdies here. Get your par and move on.

#12 Par 5 644, 518, 454 ... Longest hole on the course. Definitely not a grip it and rip it hole. Hole lays out with an open tee shot which plays through a gap in trees into a landing area. Second shot through another gap in trees. If these two shots can be executed a good upshot will give a birdie putt. If not you are looking at bogey or worse.

#13 Par 4 420, 375, 249 ... Hardest hole on the course. Hole plays as a 90 degree dogleg with no cutting the corner. First shot is a severe uphill shot to a landing area. Then a second shot around an old stage foundation which plays as OB. The basket sits on a slope going away from your approach so getting a shot to stick is extremely difficult. Be happy with par and jump for joy with a birdie.

#14 Par 4 414, 367, 303 ... Shot plays 300 feet across a wide open field where you then have to throw through a fairly small opening in the woods to a basket 70 feet down the hill. Too far left or right on the tee shot leaves a very difficult approach into the woods.

#15 Par 3 243, 220, 180 ... Downhill right to left shot with woods sloping downhill on the left and scattered trees throughout the fairway. Should be a par most of the times.

#16 Par 3 358, 283, 231 ... Signature hole on the course for both its view and its fun factor. Scenic downhill shot through the trees with lake in the background. Shaping the shot can be difficult as there is always a headwind coming off the lake. This is one of those holes where you have to take out your camera.

#17 Par 3 408, 352, 298 ... Very tough hole. Lake down the left with crazy wind and tree line down the right. Need a long straight shot. Basket is just into the trees whose branches overhang, requiring a low approach. I've never carded nor seen a birdie on this hole. Get your par like everyone else and move on.

#18 Par 3 315, 250, 197 ... As the designer this is one of my wish I could've came up with something else moments. It's ho hum as a finishing hole as there are really no obstacles other than a sloped green and deceptively longer than the hole seems. Tournament play will be a much longer basket location closer to the lake but for normal play it's just a gimme par.

2-4    8/23/2014   8/31/2014
Review By: scruggzilla
Pros: Beautiful course, right by the lake. Winds through a pretty nice public park. Good variety of holes. Extremely fun course to play. Course designer is really nice guy.
Cons: As some have mentioned, several of the holes have a long-ish walk from basket to tee. However, it seems like a brief walk is necessary at some parts to cross roads and avoid other park fixtures. Water is in play on several holes. Also could be some poison ivy. Paying any amount also kinda is a bummer, even if it is $2. Natural tees are kind of eh, but i think there could be plans to get new ones so... we'll see.
Other Thoughts: This is the closest course to my home (for now) and I'm pretty excited about it! I've played several times and will probably play many, many more!

The Beast

5+    8/26/2014   8/27/2014
Review By: The Rookie9
Pros: -The pros are that its an affordable and nice course to play on.
-More difficult holes than the course at pipestem, but thats a good thing.
-Beautiful scenic shots.
-Friendly staff
-They allow you to rent discs at an excellent rate, and the discs you get to rent, float on water. (Definately comes in handy)
-You will often see animals
Cons: -Extensive distances between the holes
-Could use a few more open holes as well
-More par 4's and 5's would be amazing
-No player that plays this course on a regular basis, will be able to avoid losing at least 1 disc in the water at some point
-The briars are harsh, and rather dangerous, especially if you bring childeren to play

From a Beginner

2-4    8/14/2014   8/19/2014
Review By: cbittler
Pros: I'm a beginner with disc golf, but thought Glenwood was great. 1) The views and scenery are great. The park is beautiful. 2) For a beginner, the course offers a nice challenge, but doesn't challenge you so much that you become disheartened and want to give up. 3) There is great variety to the holes. Some open. Some wooded. Even a water hazard or two mixed in.
Cons: Although I don't have much to compare it to Glenwood does involve a fair amount of walking in between holes. Also, I would suggest playing with someone who knows the course well for your first time. Some holes can be tricky to find.

Great DG In The South

1    8/16/2014   8/16/2014
Review By: knettles
Pros: - Better variety than most courses I play. Alot of holes had a unique feel to them.
- Great mix between wooded and open shots.
- Water in play on a few holes.
- Nice park setting that really showcases WV.
- Two to three tees per hole.
- Appropriate distances for various tees.
Cons: - Only major con for me was the natural tees with the block markers. While they all provided enough room to do a runup, many of them weren't quite level.
- There were a couple places with a bit of a walk in between holes, but it didn't bother me much.
- A $2 fee to play, but it's worth it.
Other Thoughts: Considering this course is brand new, I'm hoping the tees will get worked on sometime in the not too distant future. Having tees that aren't level is a pretty huge deal. Not everyone uses a runup, but a decent percentage of disc golfers do. And not having a flat surface to throw from can really lower the quality/entertainment of a course. Still, even in the current condition, this course was a blast to play. I definitely recommend it to anyone in the area or someone looking for a mini road trip.
Also, I played this on a Saturday in good weather and didn't have much of an issue with park goers getting in the way. That's always a plus.

First take

1    7/15/2014   7/17/2014
Review By: Mando
Pros: Picturesque 55 acre lake surrounded by 325 acres of beautiful land. Nice, new discatcher baskets. Great variety-half wooded and half open.
Three fantastic holes; #8 a 296'downhill bomb, #12 a 518' tasty open/wooded combo and #16 an epic 283' downhill wooded masterpiece. It also has a short throw over a narrow inlet of the lake on #10 to give you a water carry shot.Others good holes;7,9,13,14,15...giving you a great run of holes 7-16.
Basket locations were well thought out and have direction to next tee painted.There is also good course map in the links/files to help with navigation,print it out before playing...you will need it.
Two sets of pads;red and white.
Cons: The biggest con for me was the excessive distances from basket to next pad. Definitely the longest transitions I've ever experienced. Many of the holes could have been improved by being longer, so, lets throw instead of just walking to the next basket. ! It seemed like there was as much walking between holes as there was playing the holes. Consequently, the course in it's present condition does not flow well. Signs are not up and tee pads have not been installed, so locating the tees can be tricky on your first play since pad markers are flush with the ground and not visible from a distance. Without a guide, navigation would have been an issue.
All the really good stuff here is around the 4-h camp (holes 7-16). The other holes were basically filler holes in my book, but that may just be my preference for wooded holes. Poison ivy is vigorous here and good luck staying out of it on #4.
The par here is very generous...518' par 5 for example on hole 12...the five par 4's ranged from 260'-412'. Back home, the guys would call everything a par 3 and still shoot under par (like Hognosesucker did with a 52).
I thought the close proximity of the walking path might be an issue,but the designer does not seem to think so.
Other Thoughts: We had the good fortune to play with Greg, (the designer) and he is enthusiastic about disc golf at Glenwood and wants feedback, so here it is.
I hope he will consider shifting the hole numbers around, starting and finishing at the 4-h camp, if that is an option.

The first take was good, but Glenwood has enormous potential and could be a destination-worthy disc golf course. That's a big responsibility placed on the designer. My advice; don't let good prevent you from making it GREAT ! Tweak and revise until you get it right, then work on pads and signage.
On the other hand, Greg's target audience are the locals who appear to be at the novice level, so maybe it's fine as is.
I look forward to playing this course again and see how it evolves. A 3.5 now, but potentially a 4.5 down the road.