South Bend, IN

< Prev 1 2 3
Ok

1    4/2/2014   4/4/2014
Review By: Indiana574
Pros: Free to play. I really liked the front nine
Cons: Some sign were deffinetly wrong like hole 12 says it tapers to the right when it's really left. Lots of trash hard to tell were to go. And it's missing basket 4
Other Thoughts: It's worth playing if ur over that way but it's not worth makin a trip out to in my opinion

Pour me another

1    3/29/2013   11/19/2013
Review By: B3NDER
Pros: ***FREE TO PLAY***

A lot going on here in terms of other activities. Playground in one corner, with hiking/walking trails and picnic areas about.

- There is a large, fenced off village in the middle of the park that the course plays around. There is no real risk of your discs getting lost over the fence unless taking wild shots is your thing, or if you're having a REALLY off day. This also just adds a nice feel to the course, as it seems like you're playing around a ghost town.

Mach 3 metal baskets, mostly in good shape.

The elevation change here is a large focal point of the course. I'd say it adds an entire disc rating to it by itself, as it really makes for a variety of shot placement options as well as a good risk/reward for putting and laying up.

-Variety of shots here, from some longer bombers (Hole 8: 605'/ Hole 12: 700')

- The pads here are concrete which is a huge plus, and are actually located at each hole. Some of the bigger pads I've seen before (I play with no run-up so the size of pads wasn't a blunder for me)

Fairly obvious lines present here, but still with all the trees and elevation changes you'll do well to pay attention to accuracy and placement for your next shot. Just because the line is clear, doesn't mean you're going to hit it every time.

Cons: This course was a DISASTER in terms of trash and debris everywhere. I realize it was technically a "winter"ish month we were there and not exactly in season, so hopefully this has since been addressed, as it could look beautiful here with some simple trash pickup.

Also, as apdrvya mentioned the routing and signage here was downright terrible. Without the map he had on his phone we would have probably missed out on half the teepads etc. The signs that WERE present were either drawn all over and basically ruined anyway. A few signs had been drawn on with sharpie to try to correct the awful signage, but even that barely helped

A good portion of the course plays along the road running through the park which could be dangerous for those walking or driving down the path - exercise caution here please.

Also, the neighborhood the parks rests in itself isn't the nicest, so again use caution if you're playing a solo round.

Other Thoughts: There you have it, I tried to touch on the key points for this course. This is the first course I played out of state and was pleasantly surprised with the amount of variety and elevation changes here.

I would love to play this course again to see if maybe the trash/debris issue was simply because of the "off season" time we played, but I probably won't be back down that way anytime soon.

With some work and clean up this place could be great someday. If this course were closer to me (thinking home course distance or within 20 minutes drivewise) I would frequent this place.

PLEASE don't miss out on a chance to play this city park, as it really may surprise you how much fun you find yourself having.

Great Course to Learn On

5+    8/13/2013   8/14/2013
Review By: CoganDG
Pros: Beautiful setting
Very hard to lose a disk
Good use of elevation
Well thought out course design
Giant tee pads
Cons: Not the best area of town
Signs are constantly being vandalized
Can be confusing due to lack of signage
Lack of trash cans means that people leave trash near the tees
Other Thoughts: This is the course I learned to play on and that I spend the most time on because FREE is great! I noticed some people saying that hole 4 is missing the basket this is not true. They removed that hole several years ago I believe because the pin sat in an area where a lot of rain run off went through and it kept eroding the area around the pin. They added a new ( and in my opinion better) hole after the 700 ft. monster. So when playing through the holes labeled as 5-13 are actually holes 4-12 a new hole 13 was added and is obvious because the pad is made a brick pavers not poured concrete. When you finish what is now hole 12 (the 700ft one) follow the tree line up the hill and you will spot the new hole 13 at the top. Holes 14-18 are all labeled correctly. Keep this in mind if you look at the pictures on this site, they are of the old layout and do not include the new hole 13.

Love this course give it a try if you are in the area!

I'm being generous but elevation saves this place!

1    3/29/2013   3/29/2013
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Aesthetic/elevation- This park is certainly multi-use but the areas that are for DG are pretty much away from all the little kids and their activities. there are holes that are close to the enclosed "village" but it shouldn't really be much of an issue. The elevation really saves this place. this course reminds me of Riverside (here in grand rapids) but with elevation and no river. Old growth trees abound and provide a relatively high canopy making it damn near impossible to lose discs.

Teepads- BIG and in decent repair. some are a little wonky but they're not terrible or missing parts and hey, they're all present and accounted for.

pin placement- Great! love the roll away potentials here, forcing you to decide If you want to lay up or play it safe. great for a city park!

Variety/challenge- The variation in hole length, elevation changes and rolling fairways provide a truly unique challenge here.

#12- this 700' hole is truly beautiful with it's rolling fairways and old growth trees. a very fair par 4.
Cons: Routing/Navigation/Signage- Awful. I nearly gave the course a 2.5 based solely on this fact. If it weren't for the map that someone posted I would have been incredibly lost. we played the "extinct" teepad 4 to basket 7 then realized that wasn't right... the map is truly the only thing that saved our asses. The signage is terrible. With vandals ruining the signs, it's impossible to know what basket you are on/throwing to/direction to throw? the sharpie is helpful but somewhat confusing in and of itself.

Upkeep (current)- there is a LOT of trash on the course, sled pieces, whiskey bottles, treasures chests with acorns in them and a lot of other miscellaneous garbage. I'm sure that once the season fully starts, it will improve.
Other Thoughts: For a free to play course in the "inner" city this is a nice course. With some tweaks and TLC, this place could be wonderful!

Good Neighborhood Course

1    8/14/2012   8/14/2012
Review By: silvertransformer
Pros: Overall I feel this course is a good one. Especially since the park itself is located in the city. I really liked the layout. The front nine I would say rates on the easy side of things and the back nine is a little more tricky. Every tee pad was concrete which I find is better then rubber mats. A few of the baskets are in the open, but a lot of then you have to throw between or around some trees. Another plus is the variety of distance on the baskets. Some short and some long.
Cons: One thing this course lacks is trash receptacles. There were more then a few baskets that had cans and bottles just thrown on the ground. Another thing I did not like is most of the signs at the tee pads were in bad shape. A few you could read, but most of them you could not. Because of this the course could be just a tiny bit hard to navigate for first timers.
Other Thoughts: Overall I would say this is a good course. I would recommend this course for anyone just starting out in the game or for someone who has played for awhile.

Great for the price

2-4    7/15/2012   7/15/2012
Review By: cmchavis
Pros: Rum Village is a very solid course. The course was busy but the flow was steady and there were no backups. The course is free to park and play - the disc golf parking lot is about 3/4 way around the circle and has a tiny little sign claiming, 'Disc Golf Course'

Hole 1 starts behind the pavilion by the parking lot.

Having played a variety of courses, Rum Village stands out as one of the only courses that has pretty much, ZERO, rough.Holes 1,2 and 3 run along the edge of the park and has a treeline with some scrub, but other than that - the rest of the course is wide open grass and trees. If you can shape lines here, you'll be fine.

Nice concrete tees poured for all the holes with gravel around them to reduce mud. The baskets are all in good shape and overall the course looks great.

The lack of rough here make this an excellent place to practice throwing all kinds of lines. Tree placement makes the holes what they are, you can see the basket from most of the tees, but tree placement makes straight throws difficult and you need to shape some lines through the trees.

The front 9 and back 9 are separated and the front 9 almost leads back to the parking lot. It's a little walk away form it, but not bad if you want to just play 9 and return to the car. Navigation between 9 and 10 was the only place we got 'lost'. 10 is over the road and 'up' from 9 basket.

There is a great mix of long and short holes - allowing some long bombs (if you can make it through the trees) and some short upshots. Along with the length, the course has some great elevation changes. There is only 1 hole under 200' in length.

Although there are some long holes here - 600' & 700' - this is nothing that I would steer a beginner away from. The trees might be frustrating if you are playing plinko - but the lack of rough makes hitting the tree your only punishment. There are great rewards for shaping some lines through the trees.

Cons: Course is very easy to navigate, but I wish there was a course map with hole lengths since the tee signs are pretty much useless (torn and vandalized beyond recognizable for most and just wrong on the front 9 since they moved a hole)

Hole 4 plays right along side the road and while I was teeing off on 5, I saw three people throw discs into the road and one across it. Definitely a concern for players that cannot control a throw.

It's hard to rate down a course for the neighborhood it's in, but I wouldn't want to play here at night. During the day it was fine, but night might be questionable. Not having been here at night before though, I cannot say for sure, but I'd be uneasy. Every play here has been during the day.

Besides having to weave around trees - there isn't a lot of left to right variation. Hole 11 is the exception, but other than that - most are just straight.

Other Thoughts: As stated by all the other reviewers - the neighborhood is shady, but it's not as bad as other parts of South Bend. The park sounds like it's regularly patrolled and was very busy with DGers when I was out there.

Some local teens were hanging out, non-dgers, in the parking lot, which seemed strange since the parking lot for the DG course is separate from the rest of the park. The flow of disc golfers seems steady enough that no one seemed concerned about their vehicle. Just be sure to lock it.

Replacing the tee signs would go a long way to improving this course.

Not a lot of real 'remember-able' holes here - but they are all pretty good. There doesn't seem to be any 'let's place one here since we have to get 18 holes in' type holes. The land is well used and being one of the only free DG parks in NWI is a plus.

If you're passing though, I would hit this and Wilson up. Both are relatively easy to get to from the 31/20 bypass and on the south side of SB/Mishawaka.

Well, it's free, so there's a disc right there...

1    5/19/2012   5/25/2012
Review By: b-mart
Pros: Rum Village is free, and is the only free course I played in that area. Granted, I only played three courses, but Indiana has spaced them out AND expects me to pay, so I didn't have as much of a chance to wear myself out while I was there as I would have liked. The upkeep of the course was top notch though. I don't know if it's the South Bend Parks Department or who maintains the grounds, but the groundskeeping was phenomenal. The baskets were all in great shape, and the concrete teepads were grippy and long.

There's plenty of challenge on this course. Unlike the other courses in the area that don't seem to understand what the word "par" means, they're spot on here. None of the holes are more than a par 4, and even those 4's are a good 600+ feet to the pin. The challenge I refer to is a mix of distance, elevation, and technicality. Although I would argue with this course being rated as "4/5 trees" for technicality, it still offered plenty of challenge. The fairways were undefined due to a lack of underbrush, so even hitting a tree won't hurt your score that much (unless you hit one 50 feet from the pad on a 600 foot hole).

I was very happy with the course design, as there's something here for everyone. Uphill and downhill (including an epic downhill bomb on the current 9), short and long, and right and left hand turning shots. As I mentioned, there's almost no undergrowth whatsoever, so the only way to lose a disc would be to go long on holes 1, 2, or 3 or to have one take off down a hill when you aren't looking.

I've never dealt with such a thing before, but I'm told that the other course in South Bend takes down half of their baskets in the winter. Rum Village stays up year round, so there's another pro that I probably wouldn't have thought of.

The locals I ran into were friendly and not like the "rabble" that I would expect in this semi-shady neighborhood and on the only free course within a short drive. Everyone let us play through and the guy who guided me through the course was very helpful.

I hit a good 100+ foot putt on one hole, so this place already holds a special place for me :D.
Cons: The neighborhood isn't exactly the best one. I say this from experience as I used to have friends living in the area and have been assaulted here as well. By "here" I don't mean Rum Village, but the neighborhood. This experience had nothing to do with my experience at the course, but I still had to throw the warning out there: It's not a ghetto by any means, but I wouldn't send your 16 year old daughter there at 8:30 at night either.

Navigation on this course is off. Many of the teepads are either missing signs or have the signs vandalized so much that they're unreadable. I didn't see any tape on the basket to guide us to the next hole either. I was lucky enough to run into someone there who knew the course or I would have rambled for another half hour. Hole 5 is gone completely due to erosion. I'm not sure where the erosion was, but there you go. They put in a new hole later on to make it a full 18, but the signage hasn't been updated. This is much like Dabney State Park outside Portland in the sense that they changed it up but didn't change the signs. Not a huge deal, but it might confuse someone playing for the first time or trying to show off the course to their friends on this site after playing there.

Some would complain that the short holes are too short. I liked that there was a mix though so that there's something for everyone and a few holes that keep you from wanting to chuck your bag under a car and go home.

Much of the course plays dangerously close to a road. Whether it's OB or not is beside the point. I managed to steer my discs clear of the road, but with this many trees kicking errant shots all over the place and hills trying to roll your disc for days, you're just asking to hit a car or get your disc run over.
Other Thoughts: I was very pleasantly surprised by this course. I expected a free course in a semi-shady neighborhood to be a waste of time, but I really enjoyed it. Most of the lines were pretty obvious, but that doesn't mean that they were easy to hit. If I were a local I'd be here every day and would shape new lines just to keep myself entertained... But I'd still be here every day.

I didn't explore the park further, but there seem to be many other available activities here besides disc golf, including a playground, hiking and mountain bike trails, and picnic areas.

Needs new signs but great course

5+    5/4/2012   5/6/2012
Review By: stoltzjl77
Pros: This is the only free course in the Michiana area. Rolling terrain and mature trees with tucked-in baskets make for a challenging course.
Cons: Signs are vandalized/deteriorated so making your way around can be tricky if you don't already know the layout. The road through the park comes into play often.
Other Thoughts: I played this course back in the late '90's and just moved back to the area. I like the updated basket placements and the extra length on #8 and #12. This is a fun course with something for everyone - up/down, long/short - but even though the course isn't tight (contra other courses in the area such as Ox Bow, Maddie Bertrand, and Ferettie-Baugo) accuracy is still needed due to the well-thought-out pin placements. All in all a fun course - would get a higher rating if the signs were maintained and baskets were in better shape.

Rum Village, needs some TLC

5+    3/15/2012   3/27/2012
Review By: Nico28
Pros: -Free to play.
-Long holes with some good down hill shots.
-Hardly ever a wait to tee off.
-Can be very pretty in the summer with old trees that can make some good obstacles.
Cons: Unlike what some other people have said the city of South Bend has not done a great job of maintaining the park. The signs all need to be replaced due to vandals, and hole 4 is missing its basket. There is also trash everywhere.
Other Thoughts: If Rum was cleaned up a little then it would be a nice little city course to play, this does not mean that the course is a bad course to play. If one would really like to play a nicely maintained head over to Mishawaka to play on George Wilson.

My Tax Dollars @ Work

5+    10/5/2011   10/6/2011
Review By: TorboniousD
This review was updated on 12/28/2011
Pros: This is my second favorite course and for a few simple reasons: It's absolutely free and they keep the chains up ALL YEAR, (which adds at least +1.0 in my opinion.) Plus the city of South Bend does a great job of maintaining the grounds and minimizing the vandalism to the baskets. Nothing is exactly "new" but the baskets are not leaning and the cages are still welded on. Some may complain that the police are an irritating presence, but those same officers hold a doubles tournament every June that has TONS of free stuff sponsored by Innova. The last tournament I walked away with 12 stickers, three mini-drivers, a driver, flex-fit hat, and two tickets to a hog and corn roast the F.O.P. 36 holds later in the summer, all for just $30 plus they had a cash prize for the Pro and AM I divisions. The cops patrol the park to prevent people from committing lewd and indecent acts, and some people are brave enough to bring their family there. The course itself presents different challenges based on the season and since the course lacks a lot of good wind breaks a day can change fast. When the leaves are off the trees you can get a great view of the city from hole 10 (9) and the pad for 11 (10).
Cons: There is NO bathroom (which may be for a reason).. The first few times I played I missed 12,13, and 14. To get to them you must cross back over the road and 13 has a temporary pad made of paver blocks. During the winter the wind screams through parts that normally had no wind in other seasons and the kids slick down the hills with their sleds/snowboards where an errant throw can and WILL take your disc to the street. The city should really spend a couple bucks and update the signs, replace the practice basket, make the permanent pad with no basket go away, make the temporary pad permanent and do a top down map of the course at the shelter near hole one since they won't make maps.
Other Thoughts: DO NOT PARK NEXT TO A TRASH CAN. DO NOT LOOK IN THE TRASHCANS. Curiosity killed the cat and you may get more than you bargain for.

< Prev 1 2 3