Spokane, WA
3 / 472ft.   3 / 390ft.   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

1st Western Course Fun

1    9/1/2013   9/15/2013
Review By: #19325
Pros: High Bridge Park is a very scenic park with a bridge over head. It has huge trees and has elevation all over. The terrain is perfect for hiking. The ground is mostly dirt and rock with grass in a few places. It was absolutely bone dry when I played. This is the more traditional par 54 course with no true par 4/5 holes. With the roads and terrain it is one of the more unique courses that I've played.

The tee pads were perfectly fine.

Multiple pins.

Tee signs were adequate with hole location information.

There were several sets up stairs created to help getting up a couple of hills.

There are some challenging holes on this course and quite a few trees. I had no trouble locating discs as the rough on the ground is thin.

Overall this is a fun course to play with a handful of really fun holes. I enjoyed the course a lot.
Cons: Hole #18 was very disappointing. Excellent elevated tee and very scenic. I was ready to rip a drive. The hole is very short and dumping a putter down the hill was not a fun finish to the course.

Hole #15 is a good hole but having #3's basket in the background takes away from the hole. I actually thought it was the actual hole until I saw the flag on the shorter #15 basket.

The baskets have been vandalized like crazy.

The long walk to #5 & 10 could have been avoided in the design.

In the current setup that I played I found myself throwing many of the same shots. I wish I was a lefty on that day.

With many of the hillsides and unique rocky areas many of the greens could have had some creativity.
Other Thoughts: It wasn't the easiest finding the entrance to the park. Navigating the course isn't the easiest either. I used the map often and they are quite a few blind holes.

This was my first course that I've played out west and I enjoyed it a lot. I got up early and there was only one other group on the course. When I left some groups started rolling in. Looks like this course is a popular option in the area.

First time through

2-4    6/17/2012   6/20/2012
Review By: trswem
This review was updated on 6/24/2012
Pros: Technically challenging, recent "upgrades" like new stairs, good locals that help you find the next whole.
Cons: When we played through there was some confusion as to whether we were playing the A or B, but we always figured it out.

Fun City Course with Forest Feel

5+    1/2/2012   1/4/2012
Review By: Simmeltron
Pros: Very nice signage with distances/fairway layouts and also indicating which basket location is current, A/B basket locations which change several times per year allow for nice variation. Good use of elevation changes. Both wide open drives and shorter technical shots make you think about your next shot. Very close to downtown, easy access off of freeway. Located in a park with nice picnic/BBQ area which is located away from course.
Cons: Several holes use old concrete roads as fairways, new and soft discs beware. Several teepads are natural and can be a bit hairy in spots. Parking on 11th hole can be nice but can also cause log jams on busy days.
Other Thoughts: This course has gone through some changes over the years, some due to safety concerns (throwing over the road) and some due to I'm really not sure why. Overall, this is a pretty nice, fun and challenging course that will ultimately make you better.

A good course getting better

5+    9/2/2010   9/10/2010
Review By: Sean Johnson
Pros: This is one of my two "home" courses, and I think that the course makes good use of the terrain around it. They made especially good use of elevation changes, so that about half of the holes play up or down I strongly believe forehanders had a role in course development as there are a fair amount of right turning shots on the course The climate here is dry and generally pretty hot, so not only is the weather nice and mostly wind-free, but the vegetation isn't so thick to lose lots of discs. The course has had new placements and some entirely new holes added, and they greatly improve the quality of the course. Hole 13 went from a hole that some pros aced dozens of times to one of the most challenging and dynamic holes on the course. It is the kind of hole that requires a controlled, accurate drive that leads to a well protected pin. Sadly, it is currently in its old placement which is the very definition of a throw away hole. Hole 5 and 6, both of which shot across the road were moved due to a Park/City "request." This eliminated having to stagger down an eroded hill only to have to cross the fairway and walk right back up. New 5 is also a much better and more challenging hole, but it now has a long walkout across the main park area. Many players hate the new placement, but it is the kind of hole (like new 13) that makes you a better player. The course then dips down by Latah Creek, which gives dogs access to water. Hole 14 is another notable and difficult hole that is the very definition of drive placement.

I will agree that the signage around here has been pretty bad, but I promise that changes are in the wind. New tee signs are going in and tee pads are being rebuilt, leveled, and resurfaced with high quality flymats.
Cons: There is one petty little group of wannabe thugs that have been tagging everything in sight. While unsightly, the SDGA has been repainting the benches on a regular basis and most vandalism comes strictly from this one group so I see it being a temporary thing. However, our course has it share of people who do not respect etiquette, the course, or each other. Like all areas, we have had an influx of new players in the last few years and the course can be quite busy. I do not think that these things reflect poorly on the course or those who maintain it, but it is worth noting.

There are many great holes here, but I wish that some of the old and new placements would be eliminated entirely as they are too simple and easy. A half dozen alternate teepads would take the sting out of the par 3.5 holes and would make a lot of newer players happy
Other Thoughts: I really love this course and there is a lot to like, but the inherent lack of space, a few easy placements, and not-yet-installed signage keep this from becoming a truly remarkable course. It is still a lot of fun and I would recommend it to anyone

a fun challenge

1    7/11/2010   7/12/2010
Review By: geezergolfer
Pros: We really like the parks terrain, hilly with lots of trees and brush, and clean grassy park grounds. good tee pads and good basket placements.
Cons: We asked the help of local players in regard to course layout. It would have been difficult without their excellent help.
Other Thoughts: As we were traveling thru Spokane, we found this to be a good opportunity to play as it is very close to I-90.

Spo-Compton

1    6/29/2008   7/21/2009
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 7/7/2010
Pros: Good mix of holes left and right. Lots of well used elevation. There is a great mix of short to long holes which should satisfy just about everyone. Hole eighteen was my favorite and is very memorable.
Cons: The course is a little tough to navigate for the first timer which distracts from the rest of your round. The park gets alot of vandals from the nearby neighborhood.
Other Thoughts: This park used to be a street block I think and the old roads are still in place. The parking lot is located very near to the bridge where the trains fly by which is where I think they got the name from. All in all a well rounded course that I would love to come back to after playing downriver first of course.

Rugged Challenge In Spokane!

7/1/2008   7/8/2008
Pros: Great terrain for a course with elevation a factor on many holes. You will need a variety of throws and the challenge is certainly there. The course seems fair to both lefty and righties. Some teepads are concrete, some rubber mats, some wooden platform, some painted on the old street. There are benches available to escape the Spokane sun. The baskets are especially made by someone locally and extremely heavy duty.
Cons: It isn't always signed real well. I also played shortly after the 2008 Lilac Open so many of those temporary signs were still up and useful. Holes # 4 and # 14 both use the old street as the fairway. I didn't particularly grinding up my discs on a perfectly placed fairway shot. As mentioned by the previous reviewer, there is a lot of climbing involved.
Other Thoughts: This course borders on the shady, ghetto area of Spokane and has had a lot of problems with vandalism. Hopefully, they've solved the basket problem by installing the new heavy duty models. Signage seems to be an ongoing problem. This course could really benefit from the low to the ground signs that Cascades Gateway course in Salem, OR has and also at Erwin Young in Newberg, OR. They're very informative, almost vandal proof and easy to repair/replace if damaged. Hi Bridge Park might also want to incorporate the next tee signs that are used at the North Star course in Athol, ID. They are thin plastic strips which are flexible with a number and an arrow pointing to the next teebox. They too, would be a great asset to High Bridge.

Spokane players are luckier than most to have both this course and the Downriver course to call their own.

Fun And Challenging Course

5/23/2008   5/31/2008
Review By: LanceInTacoma
Pros: Lots of variety in hole lengths, elevation changes, styles of shots required. Even finishes with its own version of a "Top Of The World" type hole. Lots of locals around and playing (mostly helpful).
Cons: Could use some better signs to indicate the directions to go to find the next tees/holes. We did quite a lot of scouting (walking around looking for the next place to go). The course could really use some type of stairs/landscaping built in. Many times we were climbing up or down hills and wished there was an easier way to get from the tee to the pin, or the pin to the next tee. I am sure that with the number of users out here, this can be done in time.
Other Thoughts: We played this course sometime around a tournament, I guess, because there were still some temporary signs up on many of the holes. They all had distances listed, although several times the distances listed were significantly different from what we faced. I am not sure whether some of the pins had been moved since the tourney, or maybe we were supposed to be playing from different tee pads, or just what, but all in all, I really enjoyed this course, though there was a fair amount of climbing involved.