Wakefield, RI
South Kingstown DGC Share
Uploaded By: whitewaterhelix   (Taken 7/2014)
Course Kiosk

Short. Sweet, and not Ninigret

1    8/20/2014   9/11/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
This review was updated on 9/14/2014
Pros: It is a disc golf course, and that is the main thing you want more of if you're an Ocean State native. I wanted to play a round in Rhode Island on my quest to disc golf in all 50 states, and Ningret isn't winning over many of our DGCR contemporaries. As daylight was fading fast when I arrived at South Kingsdown DGC, 10 holes is about all I had time for. The length is usually short, measuring 2829' in total distance, and only one par 4. Elevation change is not completely absent, but not extreme on any hole, either. There are nice fairways, cleared out of woods and providing a good path to each DISCatcher target. Layout was good, mixing in lefts and rights, with some distance occasionally. The pin placements were chosen well, and used the terrain very well. The tees are rubber mats installed nicely on leveled surfaces. Each hole has a nice new sign. Some cool old stone walls intersect the fairways on a couple of holes. This is a quick and easy to navigate course if the sun is up.
Cons: There was some growth fighting to regain its territory on the recently cleared fairways, and briars and poison ivy reached for my legs. I would think rough can get ugly if you get a bad ricochet off a tree in the wrong place. There are places where the course may be close to other people in the park not playing disc golf. There is a walking path winding through, and a play ground kind of near the first and last holes. Not the most challenging course, and only 10 holes. My smartphone parked me in a residential cul-de-sac, and my dog and I walked in the back entrance to the park. Not sure, but there must be a better place than that to get in.
Other Thoughts: South Kingsdown DGC is a compact course in a pleasant park, and I am sure the locals are glad to have another option in state. It is fun, and I only managed even par (28), scoring a bogey, a double bogey, and three birdies. Wish I hadn't had to rush to beat the sunset. The kiosk and all of the equipment is brand new and nicely installed. If 8 more holes are installed, and they are consistent with the quality of the first 10, I could see boosting my score to a 3 rating easily.

Quick rounds!

2-4    8/22/2014   8/22/2014
Review By: gabereif
This review was updated on 8/31/2014
Pros: -A great resource for an area without many disc golf courses. My experience here was WAY better than Ninigret Park, the only other course in RI to my knowledge.
-Free
-Easy parking
-I played a solo round in 23 minutes without rushing, including the time to walk to and from the car. Verys hort walks between all holes and parking lot make for quick, fun rounds.
-They squeezed the holes in perfectly on to the course. They don't intersect and they keep a safe distance from one another.
-I like that they did 10 rather than the traditional 9. If you've got the space, use it!
-An array of shots. A couple dog-legs right. A couple dog-legs left.
-Nice use of scenic stone walls.
-Great signs
-Most tees are great
-Baskets are good
-Hardly any poison ivy
-It's easy to find an errantly thrown disc in the light underbrush
-There are lots of trees, but they make the course challenging and fair. Every hole has clear fairways and you don't get punished if you throw it straight.
-Navigation was pretty easy going solo for my first outing.
-Nice kiosk in the parking lot with map and sponsor info.
Cons: -Underbrush has thorns. Yowch!
-Only 10 holes
-1 or 2 of the tees are dirt
-It took me 5 minutes to find the first tee. After that navigating was easy without a map, playing solo for my first time.
-There's no "wow" factor to the course. When a course has 10 holes and no "wow" factor, a 3 rating is pretty darn good in my book.
Other Thoughts: I played 3 rounds in about 80 minutes. I loved the experience. There's nothing spectacular about the course, but they did a great job with it. If you come, be prepared for lots of trees, but all the fairways are wide enough to keep things challenging and fair.

Hole 1 is a nice warm up hole. Anny RHBH through a gap to the pin. Potential birdie.
Holes 2 and 3 start to work the arm on straight shots that make you pick a line and nail it.
Hole 4 is dog leg left around a bunch of trees.
Hole 5 is a sweet shot that will challenge how straight you can keep your disc. A great hole.
Hole 6 is a beast. Lots of trees and distance makes for a hard par.
Hole 7 has a couple routes to choose from. Pick one and nail it.
Hole 8 is a sweet dog leg right. Felt so good nailing a birdie.
Holes 9 and 10 are like the others: a couple options, a bunch of trees. Challenging and fair.

For improvement, build some more holes, get down all the rubber tees, and get rid of all the thorns. Oh, and put in beginner tees so we can turn more locals onto this sport.

I travel to this area to visit my in-laws. I will play many rounds on this course every time I'm in town!

Rhode Island Where have you been!

2-4    7/4/2014   8/22/2014
Review By: DNewq
Pros: First I must profess that my excitement for the opening of this course is particularly high. As a native of Rhode Island (now living in South Carolina) I have been anxious to see some signs of local disc golf growth in the state. Ninigret Park remains a worthy course, but an addition is warmly welcomed.

Here are my overall comments:
- While there is only one Par 4 of the ten holes installed, many of the Par 3s are long and tough. Plus the course is mostly wooded, so accuracy off the tee is critical for good scoring. It is a course that requires ~950 rating level play to break even par from my first impression. Easiest holes from recollection were 1, 4, 5 and 10. I also thought the course was a good balance between being an honest challenge to skilled players while not being overly brutal to newbies.
- I really liked the elevation profile of the course. Only 1 moderately steep uphill (hole 2). Otherwise the course has some nice ups and downs with some really good pin placements.
- There is a network of old stonewalls that frame many fairways adding some great overall character to the course. I believe many of the walls play as OB boundaries as well. Reminds me of Borderland State Park, One of my favorite courses in MA.
- The tee signs/pads and baskets are all nicely done. They were actually working on the teepads while I was there which was exciting to see.
- From reading different articles in the local paper, they have done an outstanding job securing course sponsors. I was really impressed and glad to see the local business community support this.
Cons: - It is a relatively big park, so at first I had a difficult time finding the course. Once I got my bearings the parking lot was central to several tee pads and the hole sequence itself was easy to navigate.
- There was some poison ivy on 4-5 holes so watch out for that. It appeared that they were trying to remove it (not a fun course maintenance task).
- There is a walking path that cuts through the course in 2-3 different places. The course designers did a good job with tee and basket placements where this should not be a big issue. Watch out throwing long on hole 1, and way left on Hole 5 otherwise you are fine. However, the path was busy so do be careful.
- I am glad it is in a busy park, because I think it can provide a lot of exposure to disc golf to Rhode Islanders(disc golf is still very foreign at this point). However, I did get mixed feedback from people I came across while playing the course. Most were very friendly and intrigued, however I did come across a few who were very negative. Not sure what their specific issues were, but I did my best to give them my disc golf sales pitch. I just hope there is no us against the disc golfers mentality develop here.
Other Thoughts: - I am incredibly curious about the layout of the remaining 8 holes. It looks like there is some areas in the park with more open space where they could hopefully add 1 or 2 more par 4s or even a par 5. It would be awesome if they were able to fit in a legit Par 58 course. Either way, I have a lot of confidence that the remaining holes will be well designed based on the installation of the first 10.
- Maybe I am missing it, but I would love to see them develop a stronger social media facebook presence. It would be great to join some locals on a league round whenever I am back home and really build a club presence at this course.
- I guess my ultimate hope is that this becomes a model course Rhode Island can point to and inspire the development of a few more courses in the state. Time will tell, but this course is a huge addition to the area.
- As it stands, my rating is a firm 4 and honestly could go up to 4.5 when the remaining 8 holes are finished. Definitely check this one out and spread the word that Disc Golf is finally here in Rhode Island (thought I would never say that)

2-4    8/16/2014   8/16/2014
Review By: ziggynagy
This review was updated on 8/17/2014
Pros: No fee to play. Course is great for beginners with a blend of short and medium length holes. Lotta character with old stones walls. Courses are well designed with a couple challenging basket locations.
Cons: Trails between tees could use more foot traffic as there are a lots of briars. Hole 4 and 8 out-of-bounds is covered in poison ivy. Tees 9 & 10 are unfinished at the time of this review.
Other Thoughts: Only 3 DG courses in RI, and this is the best imho. Can't wait for holes 11-18 to be completed.

Great new RI Course

5+    8/1/2014   8/3/2014
Review By: Bryson0082
Pros: Great new course to southern Rhode Island. Mostly wooded with stone walls and hills. 10 baskets are in the ground with 8 more being planned. Rubber teepads on most holes. Keep up the great work RIDG.
Cons: Still needs more work clearing brush and dead trees. briars and ticks can be bothersome. Its behind a school so no swearing and drinking.
Other Thoughts: Love the new course and hope for many more in RI