Bonner Springs, KS

< Prev 1 2 3
Easter disc golf

1    4/20/2014   4/20/2014
Review By: Aceman53nc
Pros: Nice course. Pack a lunch and expect to walk a lot , went for first time today and it was beautiful. Don't go on Friday afternoon unless your in league.
Cons: Well manicured fun holes
Other Thoughts: Flags need replacing?

WyCo, Beautiful Course to Test Your Arm

1    10/23/2013   10/28/2013
Review By: constantlyej
Pros: The course is extremely clean, and well laid out. There are a few really long pin placements which really allow you to test your arm. Holes 1 and 18 are some of the prettiest tunnels that leave just enough open space to allow your disc move left to right without banging into trees, but if you're release isn't perfect you are destined to get caught up behind some wood. However, the trees are very well kept, so there is not a ton of underbrush to deal with. Hole 16 has a nasty OB with brush, a steep hill, and a bunch of cedars and thorny weeds along the left-hand side- STAY RIGHT!. Overall, this course is really beautiful, and pretty wide open.
Cons: If it's windy, it's going to be a really really long day. It's not the longest course in the world, and the elevation is moderate, but the wind could make a good player really frustrated. I strongly suggest getting your rollers going for you if the wind is up.

However, as of the time I played (Oct 23, 2013), the grass was just high enough that my rollers weren't as great as I would have wanted- still it helped beat the wind and give me more distance than some of the longer lifted bombs I attempted.
Other Thoughts: This was my worst score in a long time. The par on the placements at the time was a 65- I shot a 76. Part of it is that I wasn't hitting my puts, another part was it was my first cold outing of the year, but mainly- it was just because I don't have the best arm yet. What I would typically get out 300-325 was dropping down around 275. I had a total of 4 pars the entire round.

But the course was pretty much all to ourselves, I think we saw one other guy playing single on the course. The course is so pretty, I really can't believe that there weren't more people out playing! I can't wait to hit this course again!

Great setting and great course for big arms!

1    9/22/2013   9/22/2013
Review By: jjw4ucm
This review was updated on 10/8/2013
Pros: The course seems to work in very nice harmony with the lay of the land. It's sprawled over a large park and many of the trees help to create natural fairways and incorporate some challenge.

A lot of reviewers have cautioned beginners about this course, but I'm new to the game and really enjoyed the chance to throw as hard as I could without worrying I'd lose my disc or end up waaaay in the rough somewhere. The trees/obstacles punish you somewhat on bad drives, so it maintains the same difficulty of a rough/woods without getting burrs all over your legs.

Seemed to be very nicely mowed and maintained when we were there. Very minimal trash and other debris around. The weeds were very closely cut as well.

I liked the park setting; it felt very peaceful and was a great place to spend some time on a Saturday afternoon. The shelters and playgrounds were occupied but they weren't close enough to the holes generally to cause problems (except maybe the playground near 17).

There's a lot of ripping your driver and throwing long and far on this course, but the woods and other obstacles that are there are used very well I think. The trees aren't very thick, but they're deceptively big and can eat up your drives if you're not careful with your shot.

Huge, long tee pads and benches at every hole. There were also several bathrooms at the shelters you pass by on your way through the course. Lots of creature comforts; there's also a gas station very near by for your convenience needs beforehand.

Multiple pin placements that often change the par of the hole. Signage wasn't always perfect, but it generally got us in the correct vicinity. When the holes are around 400-500 feet, sometimes you can't avoid walking up on them.

Not crowded! We played on a Saturday afternoon, and there were only a couple other groups playing close to us.

Yes, the course is long, but there was enough variety that it kept me interested until the very last hole.603

In the middle of nowhere, so the neighborhood is fine.

There's even some water near hole 15 that, if you aren't careful, could eat a disc. Given the pin position that's currently in place, you'd have to horribly overshoot the hole to do that, but just an FYI. I liked the element and how the designer used the obstacles available.

Signs and tee pads are in good condition. Also, there's flags on top of every basket (on a course with 700 foot holes, it'd be cruel not to have them). The flags and baskets look a bit worn, but it doesn't affect the gameplay.

Navigation is significantly aided by the little stones with arrows near the holes.

I also really liked having a warm-up basket right by the first hole to practice on.
Cons: There really wasn't a good sense of a "fairway" on this course. This could go either way, since I also appreciated the lack of burrs/weeds everywhere. However, it made the OB areas on a few holes harder to find and I think it would make the course flow a bit better and look even nicer than it already does.

As much as I loved this course, the shots did seem to be a bit repetitive, mostly since you were throwing so far away. Not excessively so and I wasn't bored, but it's the same basic approach in many cases.

I feel bad listing several of these as "cons", since you should know what you're getting into before you come here. If you like technical shots, tunnel shots, woodsy areas, and shorter holes, this course is just not for you, plain and simple. However, it is stuff you wouldn't think of on most of the area courses I've played.

Carve out a good chunk of time. There's just two of us and it took us over 2 hours to play! It was a gorgeous day and we wanted to go to Legends after anyway so it wasn't a big deal, but if it's extremely hot or you didn't bring water/a snack, you might be advised to play elsewhere.

It's a drive from almost anywhere besides Western Wyandotte/Shawnee/Lenexa. I recommend making a day of it.

Kansas is indeed windy, and with so many huge drives, the effect of wind is exaggerated a bit.

Even I would have appreciated a couple more technical, shorter shots. I have a fairly big arm, but players who can't throw very far could get very discouraged by the time the course is over.

Generally navigation was fairly easy, but we were left wandering a couple times when we didn't see a stone telling us where to go.

Be aware of the roads near 5 and 6; don't bean a car!

Be prepared to spend a bit of time walking up on quite a few holes. They're all pretty spread out and unless you want to shoot blind, you'd be advised to figure out where they are (especially 4!).
Other Thoughts: The course is spread out over a huge park in western Wyandotte County, on the far northwest corner of the metro somewhat close to the Kansas Speedway. There's a gas station nearby for your convenience needs.

There are several shelters, playgrounds, and roads nearby. They are generally not too much in the way of play, so I didn't include that in either pros or cons. There were actually several groups using them when we were there and we never came close to them whatsoever, but just be aware!

The setting for the course is gorgeous, and even through it was long and challenging, we both enjoyed it. My girlfriend, who will admit she can't throw too terribly far, even said that the park itself made up for the sometimes lack of variety and constant approach to most of the shots. Fix those two things, and it'd be an easy 4.0. Even with, I feel comfortable with that rating and absolutely LOVED this course. Happy discing!

The Dotte

5+    6/15/2013   6/25/2013
Review By: bkern85
Pros: Great variety of distances and shot selection. Ranges from wide open to tunnel shots. Multiple pin placements that will change the way you approach many of the pins. Usually well kept and mowed nicely. Multi-purpose park, but the course around that so there are really no distractions or waiting for cars to go by. Good use of what elevation there is available at the course.
Cons: Very long course! Can take up to 2 hours or more to play all 18 holes! Bring water and a snack if you aren't used to the hike. I have gotten poison ivy there before as well, so keep an eye open for that when you're in the wooded parts.
Other Thoughts: Overall, a nice course to try out and one I always enjoy playing.

Like playing in a wind tunnel

5+    8/9/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: bigreddog
This review was updated on 8/5/2013
Pros: Huge variety of distance in the holes, and I really liked that there were a lot of holes that weren't par 3's. There was even one par 5 with an 800 foot hole position up a mild hill for the last two thirds of the hole. At the same time, hole 8 is a very aceable 280. Distance variety is also helped by alternate hole positions mentioned below. For sure one of the best in this respect. 10/10

Concrete tees and good baskets. 10/10

Almost every hole has at least one alternate hole position, and many have 2 alternates. Unlike some courses, there are huge differences in the distance when the alternate hole positions are used, and many change the par scores of the holes. 9/10

Even though the majority of drives are fairly open (about 12 holes, 1,2, 9, 10, 12, and 18 are the tight ones I remember), many of the holes are par 4's with the second shots being tighter, so overall I'd give the variety of openness on shots an 8/10

The course requires players to make decisions on the par 4's, the par 3's are pretty straightforward but the par 4's really make you pick a spot that you want to throw your second shot from. 8/10

The elevation and obstacles are used pretty well at this course even though there isn't a ton of either of them. They do a great job of combining them to keep the holes interesting. Elevation 7/10, obstacles 9/10

Navigation on the holes themselves is pretty good with tee signs. There are still some blind shots that make it hard to tell (holes 4, 5 and 10) in some cases, and baskets 7 and 9 are kind of close together. 6/10

Navigation between holes is a little bit of a problem on some holes, it's not exactly intuitive in several cases. After 7 and 9 both it looks like the next tee is what is actually 17. The course does a neat thing that I've never seen anywhere else though and puts in stone discs on the ground next to the baskets with an arrow pointing toward the next tee on the holes where it's difficult to tell so it's not too bad. 6/10

Discs are easy to find if it's mowed. However, when it's not like it is at the time of this update they can dig down a little to where you pretty much have to be on top of the disc to see it. There are some holes that have slightly blind shots such as 10, that make it more difficult, but in general the brush of the forested areas is very thin relative to many courses and make the discs easier to find without going romping through all of it. Pretty much the only thing is that the trees tend to grab them up, so if you don't see them on the ground check there. 6/10

Course is maintained pretty well for the most part but recently (May and June) it wasn't always mowed well. It was mowed once again in July. There are benches on almost every hole. All the times I played it last year it was mowed down on the actual holes, and even in the more forested areas the brush is very thin. Hole signs are present on every hole, some look like they've been used as target practice for air rifles, but other than that great job. It's an 8/10 if it's mowed but currently 5/10

There are bathrooms on site, benches on every hole, and quite a bit of shade. A couple of sketchy water pumps if you're desperate. There is one major problem which is the longer grass is itchy (see course maintenance in next section), 4/10 on comfort during the round if not mowed, 6/10 if it is.
Cons: The course doesn't require too much of a variety of shot paths to be successful. Straight and as far as you can throw is pretty much always a good start. If you have misses off the tee you could need a certain shape to get close, but if you play a first shot to a good spot you can almost always have a straightforward second shot (hole four is an exception no matter which hole position it's in). With this said, it would be nice if the par threes could throw in some more curves. 2/10

Overall it's a pretty long course which makes it difficult and grueling for beginners or shorter throwers. It is great for intermediates and advanced players (who could just play everything as par 3 for more of a challenge), but as far as challenging all skill levels without being too hard to be fun I'd say 3/10
Other Thoughts: Hole 4 is a very unique hole in both positions. Definitely my favorite hole out there.

This course is extremely vulnerable to wind. The first time the wind was howling the entire time, the second time we got there at ten, so it wasn't too bad at first, but it picked up throughout the round and by about hole 12 it was blowing just as hard. To me this is a con, but I know many people like the additional challenge of wind, so I put it here instead. I would definitely recommend playing early in the morning or later in the afternoon to avoid this unless you like 800ft holes uphill and into the wind.

I like how if you miss with your drives you are punished by making your next shot harder.

I also really like a mix of par 3's and par 4's in a course, it helps add more variety to the strategy and I think most courses need more of them. I'd like to see more course with par in the low 60's like this one.

Distance Contest Mostly

1    7/28/2012   7/28/2012
Review By: paulbmann
This review was updated on 8/2/2012
Pros: Good tee signs with distance to the basket well marked. Good concrete pads and very large. Nice benches.
Cons: Seems to be designed for 450-foot throwers.
The tree locations seemed to be random without providing real fairways. When you do find a fairway on some holes the fairway is 400 feet long and if you cannot throw that far you don't have any other route to the basket. It's hard to describe. I did not find hardly any fun holes. Most seemed similar, just random tree placements. Lots of missed opportunity to create great holes, because the land has potential. Almost every hole is a long shot 10 feet high. Not much variety of shots required.
Other Thoughts: After taking 2.5 hours to finish the round, it really was not worth it. Just not much fun or variety.

Good place for a relaxed round

1    7/26/2012   7/26/2012
Review By: bazillion
Pros: DG-specific area in a large park. Grass is groomed and the course is clean. Excellent, high-quality benches at most tees, a few trash cans here and there (no trash noted), and most pin positions include a round cement marker that shows the direction of the next tee. This was a real plus in my book since I played solo and without a course map.

Most holes have multiple pin placements and the tee signs show all pins with distances and pars for each placement. The unused placements have stubby poles so you can tell in almost all cases where your target is, even if you've never played the course before. All pins have red flags on top, most of which are visible from the tee.

The main "pro", of course, applies to the big arms in the crowd. This is a course designed for throwers who are accurate in the 350-400-foot range and if you're one of these, you'll probably score under par with ease.
Cons: Even though there's some variety among the holes, the general character of the course (long & open) means that it feels a bit repetitive. It would be better if there were one or two tight, technical holes just to mix it up a bit.
Other Thoughts: If you're looking for a course that has the scenic beauty of a bolf course and you're not intimidated by long (500+) holes, Wyco is a real good bet. Play there and enjoy a relaxed round of golf - no real challenges, lots of fun. Good times.

Personally, I was a bit afraid to play here because by D ain't where it should be. But in the spirit of YOLO, I decided to do it anyway and I enjoyed my round a lot more than I thought I would. So noodle-arms, I'm tellin' ya, you can have a good time here even though the course favors the gorillas.

Give the 'dotte a shot

2-4    4/30/2012   5/2/2012
Review By: justactnormal
Pros: Really well kept course, set in a large park with a lot of other stuff to do

Large poured concrete teepads for every hole.

Well mowed when I went with distinct fairways and rough and a few 'greens' around the pins

Clean (not like some other KC area parks), well signed with multiple pin placements for most holes and a bench by every tee. Also, there's a couple of big restroom areas, where you can get water.

Not crowded at all. Only saw a couple other groups the times that I've been, all in the late afternoon after work.

Pretty scenic... although most of the course plays pretty wide open, there was a nice use of elevation and trees that influenced shot selection on some holes.

Starts and finishes with a couple of nice tunnels. Overall, well designed and good use of the large amount of space and old trees available in the park.

Good mix of challenging and fairly straightforward holes and risk/reward factor on several.

Cons: Most holes are fairly straightforward... long drive, layup, putt. But a few require a well placed upshot or fairway drive. You need all shots, though. Hyzer and anhyzer if you want to score well. Or you can usually take a straight line if you're a newer player or don't have all the shots down yet.

Most holes are quite long, which I like, but not everybody does. Only one sub 300' hole. Most are 400-500'. Couple over 700'.

1/2 of the holes are wide open or just require you to hit a big gap off the tee before you're wide open, but the tunnels and playing along the treelines are nice and a lot of baskets have multiple pins and lines to the hole.

Bring a map. It's not obvious where the next tee is a lot of the times, or 2 tees are visible from the pin.

You have to play across the park road several times, and the course plays back on itself a couple of times, but not too bad.

Depending on where you live, it can be kinda far. It's not real close to any of the other courses in the area but the park is right off of I-70 and easy to find.

Other Thoughts: I've really enjoyed this course the few times that I've played it. It's mostly wide open, but you need a well placed shot, not just distance to score well. Decent mix of hole lengths, but all par 3 and 4's. The park is really nice and not crowded at all. It'd be a great place for a beginner even more experienced players that want to work on their game. Not too challenging or long to intimidate, but certainly enough to keep it interesting. This course is a really good complement to some of the other great courses that we have in the KC area. It's a bit out of the way, but if you're out by the Legends or Racetrack/Casino is definitely worth a look.

A long bomber's paradise

1    3/27/2012   3/31/2012
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: The course is set in a park near the speedway with gently rolling hills and sparsely populated with trees. The tee pads and long and wide, and the tee signs are the same type seen elsewhere on KC courses (I think this style is very good and pretty helpful). Most holes have multiple pin positions, which is always a plus with me.

Navigation here was so so. Many of the baskets have a helpful arrow inscribed in a brick in the ground pointing the way to the next tee, but not all do. I brought up the map on this site on my phone, and that got me where I needed to go. A couple times the course loops back on itself.

My favorite hole was 14, a downhill hole approaching a pond. The pin was set on the other side, so you had to decide how hard you could throw without risking going in the lake (it's about 375 or 400 feet away, so you're probably not getting wet without a big arm). And then the approach across the lake, which is not a tough shot, but the water gets in your head. Fun hole.

Hole 5 was also a nice shot onto a mound, and the various positions looked good.

The elevation changes made for some variety.

It is right off of I-70 and is easy to get to.
Cons: See the note on hole 16 above. That sort of decision making is what I love about a course…and it was really lacking on most of the holes. For the most part, you are chucking your disc as far as you can, and there aren't a lot of decisions because there aren't that many trees or other obstacles.

I'm not a huge fan of really long holes in general. This course had two 700+ foot holes. I guess if you have this kind of space, you may as well.

The grass was pretty long when I played. However, it was in late March, and spring started really early this year, so I'm guessing the course just hasn't been mowed yet because who the hell mows in March? So I won't hold that against anyone.

In general, there aren't many holes you haven't seen on other courses.

The course is very close to I-70, so you can hear traffic throughout the course.
As a rec player who can't consistently throw over 300 feet, this just isn't my kind of course, but it might be right for you. Here's the thing about Kansas City: unless you want a mountain course or something set in a lush jungle, they have EVERY kind of course. So if one doesn't fit your needs, try the next one down the road. We'd all be so lucky to have a variety of courses like this city.

a GOLF course

1    3/7/2012   3/8/2012
Review By: asjzn6
Pros: Teepads-long and wide
Baskets-upgraded mach 3 i think catch well
TeeSigns-Good and informative
Benches-everyhole
Trashcans-A few probably a con
Location-right off I-70
This course was a lot of fun, i have some distance when i throw but with trees and some sharp elevation and wind playing on to the green was tough. I imagine be as open as this course is lots of wind so it makes for an excellent factor. yes a lot of these holes can be long and even the short placements are 350+ but there a lot of golf shots playing the fairway and figuring out the greens. Hole 1, 2 and 18 epic beautiful tree-lined fairways
Cons: Not many trashcans. Made for those with durable arms. Several holes slight elevation but wide open with trees.
Other Thoughts: It was real windy when i played and forced to make a lot of smart shots but that is golf so i loved it.

< Prev 1 2 3