Bonner Springs, KS
Wyandotte County Park Share
Uploaded By: jeremiahd Hole #17 (Taken 8/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
in need of mowin'

1    6/25/2016   6/25/2016
Review By: juswinginit
This review was updated on 6/27/2016
Pros: great spacious park setting, rolling hills, mature trees, huge tee pads, great variety in hole length- a couple short enough to make ace runs- several long enough to test your arm. generous space between fairways. well signed, easy layout to follow, benches at every tee pad.....and half of the course was recently mowed.....
Cons: .....but the other half.....not mowed....and parts are getting pretty gnarly....its one thing to spend some time looking for a disc when you miss the fairway, but when it is a realistic possibility to lose a disc when you hit the fairway, thats just not my idea of fun.
Other Thoughts: If completely mowed it is definitely a 3.5. But, in the condition it was in when I was there, I feel I am being generous to give it a 3.0. Mow. please. thank you.

I'll be back!

1    5/10/2016   5/11/2016
Review By: edclay
Pros: A beautiful setting. Not a lot of trees but the ones that are there are large and wide and affect shot selection. With all the rain we've had lately, this course seemed hardly affected. Only a few sloppy spots. The fairway grass was tall in some areas but not overly concerned. Again, it's been a rainy period and that would affect maintenance. I had a course map but found the tees fairly well marked. All seemed to have benches and most had trash containers. A very clean course.
Cons: I never found the basket on 4. I eventually ended up thinking it may be in for repair. Now I think I just missed it. References to the length of the grass in other reviews, I would agree if not maintained regularly could be unpleasant.
Other Thoughts: This is a very good course, at least on the day I played. I did very badly and I"m not that good to start with. But it was my 1st time on the course and figuring out where the baskets are and what would be the best shot makes a difference. I know I'll do better next time. The main obstacle the course presented me were the trees. I would get just high enough to catch the bottom branches and lose distance. Or I would not give a tree enough distance to get around it. Challenging for me but that's what makes it fun.

A Big Course for Big Arms

2-4    1/1/2016   1/2/2016
Review By: SirDreward
Pros: - Nicely maintained concrete teepads and benches.
- DGA baskets fairly well maintained with flags.
- Nice park overall.
- Well marked.
- Bridges over creeks where needed.
- Uses the topography and trees well for such an big and open course.
- Only one real water hazard.
- Lost disc return.
Cons: - Lack of trashcans.
Other Thoughts: As the title of my review states, it's a big course for big arms. The grass in spring to fall can be a bear if not mowed. The wind can be a big factor because it is so open. It takes a lot of people to make this course seem busy.

Air Show

5+    7/18/2015   7/19/2015
Review By: air show
This review was updated on 10/16/2015
Pros: Large concrete tee pads & mach 3s. Beautiful trees and stunning fairways. Many chances to fire the big gun. This is my kind of course. Tight enough to keep focus and long enough to wear me out. This is my favorite course to play in the kc metro.
Cons: Turf Turf Turf.

This is my home course and one of the worst maintained (turf) parks in the kc metro. Yesterday 7/18/15 the grass was higher than a standing disc with wild flowers up to the knees.

Have been throwing here for about 8 yrs and the turf maintenance has always sucked.
Other Thoughts: However not a course to miss. When mowed (maybe every 3 1/2 weeks) wyco is a solid five ranking. This course can be paradise. Rarely busy and always peaceful. I love competing against this course. If you can par 3 this course you got game!

The local club (KCFDC) are the only ones to credit for this great course.

Water hydrants by shelters after baskets 2 and 15.

Park closes at midnight - great place to glow.

KCFDC league play on Friday evenings.

enjoyable course

1    6/26/2015   6/26/2015
Review By: t55dude
Pros: Very large tee boxes. Easy to follow course. Good use of the terrain, trees strategically placed to add just the right difficulty. Lee action changes are subtle but noticeable. Beautiful park, Very clean course. Benches on nearly every hole. Multiple pins on every hole should keep locals coming back. Tee signs are very well done.
Cons: Park is huge and there are no signs directing you to the course. Only one tee pad on e very hole. Most holes are very long and a player who throws up to 300' is not given enough birdie chances. Would be nice to know what pin the baskets are in at the tee pad, The drive definitely changes depending on pin location for most holes.
Other Thoughts: As a visiting player from the east coast, I would definitely play the course again. While not my favorite course in the area, it is definitely worth the trip.

Go Big

5+    4/20/2015   4/24/2015
Review By: ChalkRocks
Pros: I'll start off by saying that this is my home course. I play here at least once a week. It is rarely crowded, which I love. Baskets are all in pretty good shape with giant teepads for each hole. Really nice for the large run ups needed for this beast of a course. It's a great workout and takes around 2 hours to play if you're moving quick. Trash cans are rarely full, if ever and there are benches on every hole. Very nice indeed. You're about 5 min from legends so plenty of conveniences right around the corner
Cons: The average length of this course is around 450 ft per hole. I have a decent arm but even I get a little tired of the constant huge drives necessary for this course.

And then there's the biggest draw back to this course, taking it down a solid 1.5 in rating. Grass upkeep. If you're lucky enough to play immediately after a mowing, it's fantastic. However the grass is generally mown once a month and gets long. I mean really long. In the summer it's gotten above my knees on multiple occasions. Really frustrating on such a pretty course.
Other Thoughts: This course is at least a 4/5 when freshly mown. It's large, open, moderately challenging and pretty. But when the grass is long, it can be infuriating. Make sure you pack a pair of long socks or long pants during the summer months

Easter disc golf

1    4/20/2014   4/20/2014
Review By: Aceman53nc
Pros: Nice course. Pack a lunch and expect to walk a lot , went for first time today and it was beautiful. Don't go on Friday afternoon unless your in league.
Cons: Well manicured fun holes
Other Thoughts: Flags need replacing?

WyCo, Beautiful Course to Test Your Arm

1    10/23/2013   10/28/2013
Review By: constantlyej
Pros: The course is extremely clean, and well laid out. There are a few really long pin placements which really allow you to test your arm. Holes 1 and 18 are some of the prettiest tunnels that leave just enough open space to allow your disc move left to right without banging into trees, but if you're release isn't perfect you are destined to get caught up behind some wood. However, the trees are very well kept, so there is not a ton of underbrush to deal with. Hole 16 has a nasty OB with brush, a steep hill, and a bunch of cedars and thorny weeds along the left-hand side- STAY RIGHT!. Overall, this course is really beautiful, and pretty wide open.
Cons: If it's windy, it's going to be a really really long day. It's not the longest course in the world, and the elevation is moderate, but the wind could make a good player really frustrated. I strongly suggest getting your rollers going for you if the wind is up.

However, as of the time I played (Oct 23, 2013), the grass was just high enough that my rollers weren't as great as I would have wanted- still it helped beat the wind and give me more distance than some of the longer lifted bombs I attempted.
Other Thoughts: This was my worst score in a long time. The par on the placements at the time was a 65- I shot a 76. Part of it is that I wasn't hitting my puts, another part was it was my first cold outing of the year, but mainly- it was just because I don't have the best arm yet. What I would typically get out 300-325 was dropping down around 275. I had a total of 4 pars the entire round.

But the course was pretty much all to ourselves, I think we saw one other guy playing single on the course. The course is so pretty, I really can't believe that there weren't more people out playing! I can't wait to hit this course again!

Great setting and great course for big arms!

1    9/22/2013   9/22/2013
Review By: jjw4ucm
This review was updated on 10/8/2013
Pros: The course seems to work in very nice harmony with the lay of the land. It's sprawled over a large park and many of the trees help to create natural fairways and incorporate some challenge.

A lot of reviewers have cautioned beginners about this course, but I'm new to the game and really enjoyed the chance to throw as hard as I could without worrying I'd lose my disc or end up waaaay in the rough somewhere. The trees/obstacles punish you somewhat on bad drives, so it maintains the same difficulty of a rough/woods without getting burrs all over your legs.

Seemed to be very nicely mowed and maintained when we were there. Very minimal trash and other debris around. The weeds were very closely cut as well.

I liked the park setting; it felt very peaceful and was a great place to spend some time on a Saturday afternoon. The shelters and playgrounds were occupied but they weren't close enough to the holes generally to cause problems (except maybe the playground near 17).

There's a lot of ripping your driver and throwing long and far on this course, but the woods and other obstacles that are there are used very well I think. The trees aren't very thick, but they're deceptively big and can eat up your drives if you're not careful with your shot.

Huge, long tee pads and benches at every hole. There were also several bathrooms at the shelters you pass by on your way through the course. Lots of creature comforts; there's also a gas station very near by for your convenience needs beforehand.

Multiple pin placements that often change the par of the hole. Signage wasn't always perfect, but it generally got us in the correct vicinity. When the holes are around 400-500 feet, sometimes you can't avoid walking up on them.

Not crowded! We played on a Saturday afternoon, and there were only a couple other groups playing close to us.

Yes, the course is long, but there was enough variety that it kept me interested until the very last hole.603

In the middle of nowhere, so the neighborhood is fine.

There's even some water near hole 15 that, if you aren't careful, could eat a disc. Given the pin position that's currently in place, you'd have to horribly overshoot the hole to do that, but just an FYI. I liked the element and how the designer used the obstacles available.

Signs and tee pads are in good condition. Also, there's flags on top of every basket (on a course with 700 foot holes, it'd be cruel not to have them). The flags and baskets look a bit worn, but it doesn't affect the gameplay.

Navigation is significantly aided by the little stones with arrows near the holes.

I also really liked having a warm-up basket right by the first hole to practice on.
Cons: There really wasn't a good sense of a "fairway" on this course. This could go either way, since I also appreciated the lack of burrs/weeds everywhere. However, it made the OB areas on a few holes harder to find and I think it would make the course flow a bit better and look even nicer than it already does.

As much as I loved this course, the shots did seem to be a bit repetitive, mostly since you were throwing so far away. Not excessively so and I wasn't bored, but it's the same basic approach in many cases.

I feel bad listing several of these as "cons", since you should know what you're getting into before you come here. If you like technical shots, tunnel shots, woodsy areas, and shorter holes, this course is just not for you, plain and simple. However, it is stuff you wouldn't think of on most of the area courses I've played.

Carve out a good chunk of time. There's just two of us and it took us over 2 hours to play! It was a gorgeous day and we wanted to go to Legends after anyway so it wasn't a big deal, but if it's extremely hot or you didn't bring water/a snack, you might be advised to play elsewhere.

It's a drive from almost anywhere besides Western Wyandotte/Shawnee/Lenexa. I recommend making a day of it.

Kansas is indeed windy, and with so many huge drives, the effect of wind is exaggerated a bit.

Even I would have appreciated a couple more technical, shorter shots. I have a fairly big arm, but players who can't throw very far could get very discouraged by the time the course is over.

Generally navigation was fairly easy, but we were left wandering a couple times when we didn't see a stone telling us where to go.

Be aware of the roads near 5 and 6; don't bean a car!

Be prepared to spend a bit of time walking up on quite a few holes. They're all pretty spread out and unless you want to shoot blind, you'd be advised to figure out where they are (especially 4!).
Other Thoughts: The course is spread out over a huge park in western Wyandotte County, on the far northwest corner of the metro somewhat close to the Kansas Speedway. There's a gas station nearby for your convenience needs.

There are several shelters, playgrounds, and roads nearby. They are generally not too much in the way of play, so I didn't include that in either pros or cons. There were actually several groups using them when we were there and we never came close to them whatsoever, but just be aware!

The setting for the course is gorgeous, and even through it was long and challenging, we both enjoyed it. My girlfriend, who will admit she can't throw too terribly far, even said that the park itself made up for the sometimes lack of variety and constant approach to most of the shots. Fix those two things, and it'd be an easy 4.0. Even with, I feel comfortable with that rating and absolutely LOVED this course. Happy discing!

The Dotte

5+    6/15/2013   6/25/2013
Review By: bkern85
Pros: Great variety of distances and shot selection. Ranges from wide open to tunnel shots. Multiple pin placements that will change the way you approach many of the pins. Usually well kept and mowed nicely. Multi-purpose park, but the course around that so there are really no distractions or waiting for cars to go by. Good use of what elevation there is available at the course.
Cons: Very long course! Can take up to 2 hours or more to play all 18 holes! Bring water and a snack if you aren't used to the hike. I have gotten poison ivy there before as well, so keep an eye open for that when you're in the wooded parts.
Other Thoughts: Overall, a nice course to try out and one I always enjoy playing.

< Prev 1 2 3 4