Tamaqua, PA
Villas Crossing DGC Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #18 (Taken 8/2014)

Fun Retreat to the Villas

1    5/23/2015   5/26/2015
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: 18 concrete tees and single Discatcher basket positions. Nice tee signs and navigation is a breeze. I flew right through the course with the cart. This course has some huge elevation changes and scenic mountain views! Add in the golf cart, club house, beer, food, and you will have a blast playing here. The fairways were beautifully maintained....like a ball golf course.

This is not your typical disc golf course on a ball golf course, half the course overlays some the ball course and the other half plays through the woods on it's own separate parcel of land. This setup works very well to reduce playing conflict between disc and ball golf, as well as providing more wooded holes than your typical disc golf on ball golf course. The course transitions well with a variety of shots and distances from hole to hole. There's lots of interesting and unique holes here from a couple ace runs to a few long par 4's and a couple monster downhill bombers.
Cons: Much of these are not really cons, but perhaps beware. Only one loop back to the parking lot/club house, although this is not a big deal if you have a cart. If you hike the course without a cart, good luck. There's a decent chance to lose a disc or few if you struggle to control your plastic and there's some poison ivy in the rough. Also beware of flying golf balls. On hole 2 my approach shot to the green was on such a steep slope that when I pivoted I ended up falling onto my shoulder, this happened twice here. There were a few times I was concerned about rolling the cart. Hole 8 and 11 felt like deja vu, short hard right turning tunnel holes. I got harassed by some hornets around the basket of hole 15. I was hoping for a little wider fairway on 15 to be able to reach the basket from the tee. I noticed lots of people searching for discs behind basket 3, I believe they were playing that hole. Then on hole 16 I over flew the basket and landed behind basket 3 and was searching with the rest of the party, luckily I didn't hit anyone.

Hole 17 can be easily over shot and land on the road or onto the ball golf green of another hole which I did. The owner, George, nice guy, was driving by in his car and noticed my Comet on the green across the street, he picked it up and I yelled to him that was my disc and he tossed back and we chatted a little bit. He said I threw the second longest shot(about 750') he's seen, the furthest landed on the neighbors roof top. He said I either have a canon arm or a significant tailwind, actually I threw into a headwind.

I was charged the ball golf fee and then shown the tee 1 for the ball golf course, even after I said I was playing disc golf. I then teed off on hole 1 of the ball golf course a bit confused and searching for a basket that doesn't exist. Hole 1 of the disc golf course starts by hole 3 of the ball golf course. It looked to me like some longer or alternate tees and basket positions could be put in for more variety and challenge.
Other Thoughts: Overall Villas Crossing is one of the most fun disc golf experiences I've had. The course design is more geared to intermediate to advanced level, although most open level players will find a good enough challenge and a lot of fun. I'd highly recommend this course to any non-rank beginner looking for a fantastic day of disc golf.

When ball golf meets disc golf

1    11/22/2014   11/22/2014
Review By: adlacro
Pros: 18 holes with nice, new DIScatcher baskets. Concrete tees on every hole. Good mix of lefty/righty, open/wooden, and uphill/downhill holes. Some shorter par threes mix in with long pro par fours and even a five for good measure. Course doesn't interfere too much with the ball golf. Carts available in-season, which will shorten the walk from hole to hole, shot to shot.
Cons: Carts not available in winter. Those physically out of shape will have a grind on their hands on this course. While most of the tee boxes are long enough, some are shorter. The golf greens are OB on the last three holes, which is understandable if someone was playing the ball golf course(but why would they waste their time).
Other Thoughts: While I was exhausted by the walking and tested by my inability to consistently put good shots together, and compounded by a lost disc, I still found Villas to be an excellent disc golf course. It is well designed (Dunkle and company doing it yet again), makes good use of the land, and tries not to interfere a lot with the ball golf course on site. The end result, disc golf always wins, and you should make this course a stop. It is only an hour from Allentown and its plethora of good disc golf courses.

Awesome course

1    11/2/2014   11/6/2014
Review By: katiegurl19512
Pros: This course has alot to offer, great scenery, golf carts to use, good elevation changes, bar at the lodge, they have a hanging basket and one high up on a rock pile. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the course is very clean and well taken care of. Nice solid concrete tees and large signs showing the course. The holes can range anywhere from 300 to 800 ft, so there is a good variety of shape and size for each hole.
Cons: The brush tends to get a little thick on the sides but seeing as this is a fairly new course im sure overtime that will be taken care of. This course is also ontop of a ball golf course so you have to watch out for other players.
Other Thoughts: Its a fun course for beginners or pros, though the drive was a little far, i would come back in a heartbeat. Great staff, great course, great times!

Worth every penny

1    8/21/2014   8/22/2014
Review By: Grip N Rip
Pros: This course has fun written all over it. Besides the obvious fun of having a cart and adult beverages this course offers a challenge to all skill levels. Some holes you feel as if you're on The Slyline at Blue mountain. Other holes you feel like you're in your local wooded course. And then some holes you feel like you should have a ball and club in hand. I'd say the average hole length is around 350-400ft. Elavation makes holes play much shorter or longer so always keep that in mind. The rough isn't too bad for a new course. If you go make sure you have time for two rounds. After 18 we all felt great and barely hungry. The carts do most of the traveling so you stay fresh for more fun. I didn't check out the clubhouse but the girl (didn't get your name sorry) who was runnin it was kind enough to let us squeeze in another round just before sunset.
Cons: Not enough risk-reward holes. No water. Criss crossing between ball golfers and disc golfers seems like it could happen a lot so stay attentive.
Other Thoughts: Villas Crossing has a good thing going for them. Please don't ruin it for them or us disc golfers by being an idiot with the carts or other golfers (ball or disc).

Golf cart increases fun factor

1    8/9/2014   8/10/2014
Review By: blazerico
Pros: This course shares a lot of ground with the ball course on the same property, so you get to use golf carts! Not only do you get to drive around on the golf/dg fairways, but you get to take them into the woods too. The course is good on its own, but the cart experience increases the fun factor and gets an extra 0.5 disc because of it.
The course has a lot of variation: wide open shots, tunnel shots, r to l, l to r, short with canopy, loooong, serious elevation change...
Then there's the clubhouse with a good selection of beer, other drinks, food and bathrooms.
Cons: Being a new course and being in PA, the rough is really dense pricker bushes for the most part. Generally each hole has at least one area that you want to avoid or you pay the price...in blood!
No map. Even though the signage is very good and you are never left wondering where to go, I like to have a map of the courses I play.
Other Thoughts: I started the day thinking I would play here once and never go back because it is about 1.5 hours from my house and it is not on the way to anywhere I usually go. Figured I would enjoy the novelty of the golf carts, have a good time, then be done with it. Well, I had a great time, the drive wasn't too bad and the course is fun enough to make me want to go back. I'll probably go again in the fall to see how everything looks in fall colors.