Tamaqua, PA
Villas Crossing DGC Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #4 (Taken 8/2014)

Look Out Below ... I mean, FORE!

2-4    7/3/2015   7/11/2015
Review By: swatso
Golf carts - most everyone enjoys driving a golf cart, yes?
It is more a question of WHEN, not IF, a cart is going to flip over, and discs, golfers, beverages, and other assorted paraphernalia go tumbling down the hill.
The disc golf course is roughly evenly split between sharing the open ball golf fairways, and playing through the woods/hidden glade at the top of the ball golf course.

Disc golf holes 1-5 play along ball golf holes 3-6, so are fairly long and open, offering plenty of hucking opportunities, as they wind their way up the slope. Throwing from elevated tee-3 is probably the most fun shot found in this early group.

Holes 6-11 playing within the woods. Other than very long and very straight and very flat #9, these holes are shorter than the first five, offer a variety of shapes, with an emphasis on right turns, and have some minor elevation changes.

Hole 12-15 play into, along, out from a glade. Straight or left-turns from the tee will work on these middling-length holes. Elevated basket-13 presents an additional challenge,and some may suggest that the dense collections of trees mid/late fairway on 14-15 introduce a random element to the round.

Holes 16-17 play somewhat similarly. Open, as you're back on the ball golf course. Major drop in elevation, more so on #17. Baskets located a short distance away from ball golf greens, which are considered out-of-bounds. Basket-16 adds to the challenge as it is set on a ridge, with a steep drop behind it, and the extra "challenge" on #17 is to focus on the basket, and resist the temptation to toss your disc with all your might, to see if you can land on the house an additional ~500' in the background.

Hole-18 serves its purpose, aka brings you back to the clubhouse, but is an open huckfest.

Had fun playing with the Lancaster-area threesome I caught at hole-5, had fun playing solo, and the 2-to-1 ratio of discers-to-ballers seemed to be enjoying themselves, too. By all means, give the course a go if in the area.

Very Fun and Frustrating Course

1    7/2/2015   7/4/2015
Review By: xjwigluszx
Pros: Golf Carts!!!!!! Ok, Let's face it, how often as Disc Golfers do we get to drive around in a kart while playing. But in all honesty, the karts are very necessary because I could never imagine walking this course. Not having to carry a full bag on your back definitely helps with fatigue.

Ok, now to get serious. This course has a lot of variety. After playing two rounds, I don't recall once where I felt like a hole was getting redundant. Starting with a nice par 3 with the basket tucked into cove of trees, followed by a par 5 along a tree line and ball golf fairway, followed by a tee pad on top of a hill aiming through a cut out of trees throwing down hill across a ball golf fairway. And the hole course continues with this style of variety through out.

Great use of elevation on this course. There are ups and downs, but they do a pretty good job of making you not feel like you are throwing up an unacheivable hill. As gradually work your way up the hills, you get to enjoy the very fun drastic downhill. These are kind of fun as a player without a huge arm because you dread seeing a 500+' hole, but could possibly make par when you can actually throw a 400' tee shot or more. #17 is 432' and I took an extra tee shot to throw a putter and landed maybe 50' short. Fun feeling. This is the reason the carts are such a plus.

Scenery is also great. The course has some very nice views including #16 & #17 after coming out of the woods. Beautiful to overlook the country side from the side of a mountain, Right? PLus the course, being originally for ball golf, is extremely well maintained.
Cons: As someone who hasn't developed a great long game yet, there are some real bomber holes here. Now maybe that isn't a con for everyone, but it is for me. Tee off, pick up disc and throw it again, pick it up throw it again. Ok, I'm on my 4th shot, now maybe I have to think about what I'm doing. Especially since the longest ones are usually utilizing the ball golf fairways, so its open shots and just hucking.

Also I think some of the pars are very forgiving. They do have to par layouts, one for pro and one for AM, but still forgiving. For instance #15 AM is a par 5 at only 439' with a decent downhill. There is a pretty tight lane for just over half the hole, but even I threw a 4 my first round, and I was way in the trees on my tee shot.
Other Thoughts: This is a really good course and a course I get the impression will eventually be more about disc golf than ball golf. The staff at the clubhouse are super friendly. Definitely worth the hour and 15 minute drive for me to go check it out. I heard they are considering putting in another 18 holes on another part of the property... yes, please!!! This course should definitely be on and golfers agenda in this area.

Fun Retreat to the Villas

1    5/23/2015   5/26/2015
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: 18 concrete tees and single Discatcher basket positions. Nice tee signs and navigation is a breeze. I flew right through the course with the cart. This course has some huge elevation changes and scenic mountain views! Add in the golf cart, club house, beer, food, and you will have a blast playing here. The fairways were beautifully maintained....like a ball golf course.

This is not your typical disc golf course on a ball golf course, half the course overlays some the ball course and the other half plays through the woods on it's own separate parcel of land. This setup works very well to reduce playing conflict between disc and ball golf, as well as providing more wooded holes than your typical disc golf on ball golf course. The course transitions well with a variety of shots and distances from hole to hole. There's lots of interesting and unique holes here from a couple ace runs to a few long par 4's and a couple monster downhill bombers.
Cons: Much of these are not really cons, but perhaps beware. Only one loop back to the parking lot/club house, although this is not a big deal if you have a cart. If you hike the course without a cart, good luck. There's a decent chance to lose a disc or few if you struggle to control your plastic and there's some poison ivy in the rough. Also beware of flying golf balls. On hole 2 my approach shot to the green was on such a steep slope that when I pivoted I ended up falling onto my shoulder, this happened twice here. There were a few times I was concerned about rolling the cart. Hole 8 and 11 felt like deja vu, short hard right turning tunnel holes. I got harassed by some hornets around the basket of hole 15. I was hoping for a little wider fairway on 15 to be able to reach the basket from the tee. I noticed lots of people searching for discs behind basket 3, I believe they were playing that hole. Then on hole 16 I over flew the basket and landed behind basket 3 and was searching with the rest of the party, luckily I didn't hit anyone.

Hole 17 can be easily over shot and land on the road or onto the ball golf green of another hole which I did. The owner, George, nice guy, was driving by in his car and noticed my Comet on the green across the street, he picked it up and I yelled to him that was my disc and he tossed back and we chatted a little bit. He said I threw the second longest shot(about 750') he's seen, the furthest landed on the neighbors roof top. He said I either have a canon arm or a significant tailwind, actually I threw into a headwind.

I was charged the ball golf fee and then shown the tee 1 for the ball golf course, even after I said I was playing disc golf. I then teed off on hole 1 of the ball golf course a bit confused and searching for a basket that doesn't exist. Hole 1 of the disc golf course starts by hole 3 of the ball golf course. It looked to me like some longer or alternate tees and basket positions could be put in for more variety and challenge.
Other Thoughts: Overall Villas Crossing is one of the most fun disc golf experiences I've had. The course design is more geared to intermediate to advanced level, although most open level players will find a good enough challenge and a lot of fun. I'd highly recommend this course to any non-rank beginner looking for a fantastic day of disc golf.

NEPA's Finest!

1    9/7/2014   4/28/2015
Review By: tbrust311
Pros: $15 for two rounds with a cart, a clubhouse with beer and snacks, golf carts, merchandise for sale, friendly staff, did I mention golf carts?

This place is massive. Huge fairways that intersect with ball golf, fun wooded holes. You feel so much cooler than the ball golfers just for the fact that you can disappear into the woods with your cart.

Great course for people with big arms. Last hole is over 800ft.

Hole 17 is absolutely breathtaking, and a blast to tee off from. Just don't land on the green (especially if there are golfers playing). The cart ride down to the basket is even entertaining down a winding hill (I'll shut up about the carts now).
Cons: The thorn bushes off the fairway on some holes are pretty thick. Hoping this was addressed since last season.

Use a brightly colored disc on the last hole, can be easy for discs to get lost in the brush if you have a huge throw that goes off course.
Other Thoughts: Easily the best in the area. Worth the money.

Elevation, Elevation, Elevation!

1    4/7/2015   4/8/2015
Review By: DiscLoser
This review was updated on 4/10/2015
Pros: There are few flat shots on a beautiful course that plays up and over a classic Pennylvania hilltop moutain - we have mounds in PA, not peaks.

This is a well-thought out course that demands distance, distance with control, mid and putter work (straight shots if you got it), RHFH if you got it, and overhand if you need it.
Pay your small fee and chat with the friendly staff, rent a cart! or walk if you want the experience - I walked and I believe I'll use a cart from now on, as my legs got tired and affected my tee shots. If you want your round to be about the hike as well as the golf, then walk.

Holes 1 - 5 take you across and up, with long fairways (500', 600', 700' +).
#1 seems innocuous enough, a 289' shot into a basket under a large stand of pine trees. Until you stand on the tee and it's more uphill than it looks form the road, with a headwind as well.
#2 is a 577' rhbh hyzer from out between trees with a downhill sloping fairway that wants your disc to roll right. The pin is uphill, well-protected in trees with a horizontal downed tree in front.
#3 is a downhill shot that is trouble if you miss long or right. Calm day in the parking lot all of sudden there's all this wind up here.
#4 is 604' out into a fairway, with the pin tucked away in a stand of trees, with a line of immense trees running straight in the way from tee to pin.
#5 is downhill through another fairway ending with a sharp left into the woods with very thin lines to the basket.

Holes 6 - 15 play through a wooded section, again with elevation playing a huge part of shot selection and missed pars. I won't describe them in detail, but there are varied uphill, downhill, and along the hill shots, through tight lanes, and on some holes, unforgiving rough. These holes play very differently from each other and are not repetitive at all. There are a few that favor LHFH or excellent annhyzer work, but trees have a way of making fools of us all. There a some short shots (200', 204', 257') to break up and even out the distance of the earlier holes. Protected pins, pins on hillsides that flip up your softest putter, elevated pins on crumbling dirt piles (be careful) and on the 439' downhill #15, with a fairway that narrows as it goes down, and a headwind!? wooshing up the hill in your face, a hanging basket to welcome you back out into the open.

#16 takes you back out to the open fairways of the golf course, with a downhill 500' par 3/4 with an OB golf green and a hill behind that will rollout your rollouts.

#17 was perhaps my favorite, a 432' downhill at basket behind a green, with the green playing OB.

#18 is 802' and back home across the hillside, just in case you were a little tired from the first 17.
Cons: * Patience will be needed when the both golf courses are in use. I had the mountain to myself the day I was there, but I would certainly give the ball golfers right of way when in use.
* Tees pads are about 6', I know some folks will want longer walk-ups.
Other Thoughts: The Am/Pro Par scoring work very well - the Am pars were exceedingly fair; if you can throw consistently over 300' and have your other shots in line, you should probably use the Pro par.
Please go play this course, keep it clean, play nice with ball golfers. This is worth driving to, stay and play 2 rounds, and add it to your Eastern PA list.

Bring all your discs!

1    9/20/2014   4/3/2015
Review By: jbetz45453
Pros: Alot of variety. Some very long holes. Some holes through the woods and some holes are more open. You get to take a golf cart.
Has a pro shop with food and drink and bathrooms.
Cons: Some of the holes are shared with the ball golfers. Some of the greens are close to the baskets and the greens are OB. Some of the brush/woods is pretty thick and has thorns.
Other Thoughts: Very fun place to play. The long holes will favor the folks who can chuck it far. You get to use your long range discs that you don't need on some other courses.

We went later in the day so all the ball golfers were off the course but talking to some guys who had just finished playing disc golf they said they had to wait a few times for the ball golfers.

The hill through the woods on hole 7 was pretty steep and almost seemed a bit unsafe. Would probably not really want to walk this course.

You have to pay to play but I felt it was worth it. I will go back again.

The greens being OB on some of the holes seems a bit unfair on some of the holes like 17 where you throw down the hill and there is a very small landing area below right next to the green. You could end up like 20 feet from the basket but on the green and be OB.
Hole 17 is awesome though.

When ball golf meets disc golf

1    11/22/2014   11/22/2014
Review By: adlacro
Pros: 18 holes with nice, new DIScatcher baskets. Concrete tees on every hole. Good mix of lefty/righty, open/wooden, and uphill/downhill holes. Some shorter par threes mix in with long pro par fours and even a five for good measure. Course doesn't interfere too much with the ball golf. Carts available in-season, which will shorten the walk from hole to hole, shot to shot.
Cons: Carts not available in winter. Those physically out of shape will have a grind on their hands on this course. While most of the tee boxes are long enough, some are shorter. The golf greens are OB on the last three holes, which is understandable if someone was playing the ball golf course(but why would they waste their time).
Other Thoughts: While I was exhausted by the walking and tested by my inability to consistently put good shots together, and compounded by a lost disc, I still found Villas to be an excellent disc golf course. It is well designed (Dunkle and company doing it yet again), makes good use of the land, and tries not to interfere a lot with the ball golf course on site. The end result, disc golf always wins, and you should make this course a stop. It is only an hour from Allentown and its plethora of good disc golf courses.

Awesome course

1    11/2/2014   11/6/2014
Review By: katiegurl19512
Pros: This course has alot to offer, great scenery, golf carts to use, good elevation changes, bar at the lodge, they have a hanging basket and one high up on a rock pile. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the course is very clean and well taken care of. Nice solid concrete tees and large signs showing the course. The holes can range anywhere from 300 to 800 ft, so there is a good variety of shape and size for each hole.
Cons: The brush tends to get a little thick on the sides but seeing as this is a fairly new course im sure overtime that will be taken care of. This course is also ontop of a ball golf course so you have to watch out for other players.
Other Thoughts: Its a fun course for beginners or pros, though the drive was a little far, i would come back in a heartbeat. Great staff, great course, great times!

Best Day Ever

2-4    11/2/2014   11/5/2014
Review By: Onenationunderpar
Pros: A wonderful course for both beginners and advance players alike. Many serious elevation changes in the course, mostly high to low drop shots. Great mix of both short and long holes ranging from the 200-300ft zone to the 700-800ft range. Golf carts are available which puts this course far far above any that I have ever played. $15 dollars for two rounds is more than fair tho for the carts. Staff at the lodge are extremely cool and knowledgeable about the course itself.
Cons: The course is always free to walk, however it is a very physically demanding course to do so on. People not used to big courses I highly recommend spending the money and getting a cart. (This isn't even really a con)
Just saying.
Other Thoughts: This is by far the coolest spot for disc golf I have ever heard of, played, and let alone found before. The first day I shot there my group and I must have said "BEST DAY EVER" at least a collective 100 times. Also I cannot leave out that you can buy beer from the lodge to take with you on the course. (NO BYOB) oh yeah.... and the lodge is a bar :). If you visit this location and you love having a good time disc golfing I can almost promise you and your friends will leaving saying "best day ever".

Tons of fun

2-4    10/2/2014   10/2/2014
Review By: Hartley444
Pros: This course is awesome. Great signage, teepads, well maintained. Holes were all unique. Having a golf cart made it even more enjoyable. Scenery is awesome as leave are changing colors. Good mix of short and long holes as well as wooded and non wooded. The addition of a clubhouse where drink, food and merchandise was available is an added bonus. Great elevation changes also.
Cons: Not many here. The only thing I can think of is just off the fairway the pricker bushes were thick in some spots. Though the course is brand new so I am sure this will be better over time.
Other Thoughts: Definitely worth spending the extra $5 for a 2nd round. This place is a premier course for the area ranking right up some of the best.