Saint Charles, IL
Campton Hills Share

Something different

1    7/9/2012   7/9/2012
Review By: geognerd
Pros: Lots of trees. Elevation changes. Paver block tee boxes. Nice scenery. Wood chips are spread around to keep things from getting too muddy. Short hole lengths mean us weaker players don't have to worry about cranking out a long drive.
Cons: I listed the elevation change as a positive, but it is also this course's biggest con for me. The elevation change is too steep at #7 and #8. #7 was a little treacherous, but the wooden blocks made the hillside passable. #8 was ridiculous. Blocks were in place, but they were too far apart and the hill was rather steep. Being my first time playing here, I didn't see the staircase on the left side of the hole. By the time I saw it, I was struggling up the hillside and turning back down to use the staircase would've put me on my rear end. Apparently #7 and #8 have staircases, based on the tee signs. Wish I was paying more attention.

The hilltop baskets struck me as gimmicky. I don't mind an uphill shot, but the terrain is steep enough that you're throwing farther up than you are forward. I also did not like how there were several blind shots. You don't know if your disc is going to roll down another hillside if you throw past the basket.

The navigation was terrible. There were a few holes where I had to wander around to find the next tee. I printed the course map, and I don't think it's entirely accurate in terms of the relationship between tee and basket locations. It's easy to lose your bearings and get turned around in the wooded environment. Guide signs or markings on the basket to point out the next tee would be beneficial.

The steps seem short going down the staircase at #9. My feet were too big for the steps, so I had to go down the steps gingerly.
Other Thoughts: The water in front of #8 was shallow, but foul-smelling. It looks like disc golfers over the years have thrown a lot of tree limbs in there so you can tip-toe out to retrieve discs that have landed in the water. I took the recommendation of a previous reviewer to walk the hole first to see where the water was. Good idea.

This course is a unique offering. I haven't played another course with this combination of woods and hilly terrain. If #7 and #8 weren't so steep, I would have enjoyed this course and would be coming back. At least I can say I have played this course and decided it's not for me. A wooded course that has gentler terrain is Black Bear in Hoffman Estates.

Stupid course

1    8/7/2009   8/23/2009
Review By: Watch Your Hyzer
Pros: Nice and scenic.
Cons: Stupid hole layouts.
30'-40' elevation changes on 125' holes!
SHORT holes!
MUDDY!
Easy to lose disc.
Other Thoughts: Bring your bright colored discs for this course. Also BRING YOUR BOOTS! This course is very misplaced.

Short & Quick

5+    11/28/2008   12/1/2008
Review By: J.W.I.
Pros: There are baskets to throw at. The signs are accurate. (But, when there is only one pin placement and one tee for each hole, what do you expect?) Good elevation in play.
Cons: It's short. It's often crowded. The gate is sometimes closed on the lot. There are only nine holes. There is one pin (#2) that my 10-year-old can easily drive past with a putter. Very short tees, but they are just gravel and wood so you can walk right through them and not miss much.
Other Thoughts: You might want a driver for the 8th & 18th holes, but you don't really need one. Beyond that, some midranges and putters will do it out for you.