Saint Charles, IL

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Fun 9 Hole

1    8/31/2014   9/4/2014
Review By: Scramble630
Pros: -Fun to play
-Well designed
-Tee signs were accurate and informative
-Cement tee pads(small but the holes were short so not really a need to get a run up)
-Well maintained (didnt see too much trash)
-Heavily wooded, secluded space dedicated to disc golf.
Cons: -there were few, if any, benches
-the baskets were in terrible shape, some were bent and some had chains that werent connected (i think i even noticed one completely missing a ring)
Other Thoughts: This is a fun and quick course that I will definitely play again considering its within an hour drive and is located close to Aces in Chains in Geneva. I think the course would be worth a 4/5 if it had nicer baskets and a few benches.

Great Course

5+    5/10/2014   5/14/2014
Review By: toxicsasquatch4
Pros: This course is a great place to go. It is a 9 hole course so you can play through it multiple times in a row in a short amount of time. There are many opportunities for a hole in one if you find a way to weave the Frisbee in and out of trees (since the course is in the forest).
Cons: All I would say for a con is that it is only 9 holes.

Good, challenging play.

5+    11/2/2013   11/9/2013
Review By: MarkG
Pros: Campton is a great place to frolf. There's never too many people there, so for the most part you don't have to worry about being rushed and what not. Not really the place for beginners, but If you know how to get around your obstacles this will be great! There's a couple holes that DEFIANTLY have ace potential. Hole 2 If I were to guess without peeking on the par info would be 140'. So it's not too bad.
Cons: There's only 9 holes, but that's fine cause you can go as many times as you'd like!

Fun, technical, short course

2-4    7/15/2013   7/28/2013
Review By: ChrisMacG
Pros: One of the most challenging short courses I've ever played. Usually courses this short are for beginners, but not here. This is a challenging course that pits you agains the many elevation changes and tight fairways.

This course is well thought out with a number of very challenging holes, each with different skills required. Even the shortest hole, #2, is a challenge due to trees and the hill behind the basket. Hole 6 has a number of tight lines and you have to know how your disc will fly to negotiate one of them. Hole 9 is such fun to throw with it's tee located at the top of a cliff overlooking the canyon fairway. All of the tee boxes are perfectly sized for the hole, they keep this course about technical skill with a disc.

The course is short enough to play through almost twice in an hour. If your game is the long drive, this course will teach you more about disc golf than any other short course in the area.
Cons: Safety. The hills on #7 and #8 are treacherous with poor steps. The drop off behind the #1 baskets needs steps too.

Other Thoughts: Have seen the cops walking through this course a number of times. They're friendly enough, but they tend to sneak up on you.

Picturesque course that will challenge your line-shaping.

1    7/29/2012   6/28/2013
Review By: rikomenzies
Pros: While the holes are pretty short, this course will really challenge you on your ability to shape a good line around obstacles. Taking risks can really pay off, but punish you harshly as well.
The course is all wooded areas and elevation changes, with no holes ever stretching beyond 225'.

The course is very picturesque to say the least. I stopped often to take pictures. It's a great-looking course. Really felt like an adventure. You're in the shade pretty much the whole time, too, so it felt really cool.
Cons: If you rely on your cannon of an arm, you won't find any use for it here. There aren't any points in the course where you can just crush a disc. You *will* over-throw the basket a lot if you're used to powering up your drives.
I brought my Crunch Box here with fifteen discs in it and after seeing the first hole, I should have gone back and put the bag back in my car. The only discs I used were a DX Roc, DX Stingray, and Soft X-Putt'r. Seriously, leave your drivers at home. You won't need them.

Like I said, there are plenty of risks to take with great payoff, but you'll be punished harshly if you miscalculate. There are a lot of drop-offs and ugly uphill shots here.
SCOUT Hole 8 before you throw. There's a swap between you and the disc and if you're not careful, you'll wind up in it. Get a good idea of where it is.

The nature of the terrain makes it hard for any real effort to clean the place up, so as pretty as it is there is plenty of litter around from inconsiderate players.
You will find crowds here from the nearby high schools that will likely be irritating to play around, so just keep that in mind. When my girlfriend and I went up there it was a real test of patience waiting for a group that was jacking around or having a group at the tee hucking discs while we weren't yet done with the hole.
Other Thoughts: Get one of these if you can: http://nutsacbags.com /
NutSac disc golf bags are great for really short courses like this that don't demand more than a couple of discs from you. Since the entire course is a hike, you'll want something to keep your discs in.

I'm serious about leaving your drivers at home. Even beginners should stick to midranges and putters here. Even the 225' stretches aren't going to give much room for a driver here with all the trees you'll have to throw around.

Short and sweet

1    9/29/2012   10/11/2012
Review By: LeddZepp8687
Pros: -Serious elevation change
-Lots of ace potential here
-TONS of wood
-Very secluded
-Unlike any other course in the area
Cons: -Some shots are just too short... Hole two is likely the shortest hole I've ever seen
-Littering is apparently acceptable here?
-A few holes with very good potential of getting hit or hitting someone else
Other Thoughts: This is a cool course and I would like to go back and play it again, It is unlike any other course in the area really.

I like all the possibility of aces here, all of which can be done with putters or mids and I love throwing mids.

I made the mistake of carrying my entire bag here and a competition bag full of discs gets old carrying up and down all the hills at this place. Next time I am bringing a roc, a buzzz and a putter or two and maybe one good flick disc for hole nine..

campton hills

2-4    9/22/2012   9/27/2012
Review By: booradly
Pros: -located in heavy woods that make for lots of hard shots for such a short course
-secluded
-lots of chances to ace
-can go there with a mid and still shoot to the basket
-decent tee pads
-great use of the land so much elevation change
- has good paths and stairs that make the elevation change safer
Cons: -the tee pads are small but you do not really need a run up on your shot
-the course is very short i have only made one trip out there but will most likely only go again when i am already out that way
-if you have bad knees / legs for any reason you might have a hard time getting around
- i like some nice technical short shots but some of these shots are only 100 feet or so.
-with all of the elevation change i can see how it would be easy to lose a disc
Other Thoughts: - i think that this is one of the best 9 holes around and if it was an 18 i would be there almost every day
- if you are like most disc golf players and are poor as hell this place is awesome. there are so many squirrels running around it is easy to take two or three of them out with a disc for the stew pot and if any one asks you can just say it was an accident

A Nice Short Hit or Miss Course

2-4    8/7/2012   9/18/2012
Review By: 4_Of_Spades
Pros: Nice, isolated course

Nice baskets, lots of graffiti from all the aces however.

Very wooded on all holes and some different shot variety with major elevation change.

Short, quick round with some technical shots but nothing long.

Signs are okay and navigation is fairly straightforward.
Cons: Very short course.

Erosion of hills, cliffs, tee pads, and slopes makes getting around a bit dangerous in some spots.

Some technical shots, but its either you make it to the hole or you take an extra throw to get to the hole. After a few rounds it gets a bit boring.

Space not able to fit a legitimate 9 hole disc golf course. Holes are very close together.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed some of the elevation and technical shots and would say that this course is worth a play at least a few times in the area but should not be something you should make a day trip for. It is a fun, very quick 9 hole round but not something I am dying to go back to after playing it for a day.

So much fun

2-4    7/29/2012   8/2/2012
Review By: DocHaole
Pros: This course is a pleasant change of pace for the area. The biggest surprise is the amount of elevation that comes into play. The hills come into play on basically every hole. The course winds through some moderately thick woods, however there are clearly cut fairways that reward accurate throws. Missing the fairway can be punishing however the brush is cleared enough that the risk of losing a disc is pretty low.

I appreciate that the course design forces you to throw a variety of lines to stay on the fairways. I really enjoyed throwing hole #9: a blind downhill dogleg to the right with a steep drop off. This is a great course for new players to come out and learn to throw accurate shots and leave the drivers at home.

The stairs are definitely necessary with the steep slopes however it is nice to see that the designers put in so much effort to make the course.
Cons: The course is ridiculously short, especially Hole 2. And unfortunately the design makes it hard to move the baskets futher back or add long tees.

Safety could definitely be a concern on this course. Personally I almost killed someone walking off of 7s tee box as my drive on 6 made it clean through the trees and over the basket. Also the blind shot on 9 is asking for trouble. How's about yelling clear when you're done? None of this merits changing the design, but worth noting to be careful.

I am told that this course can be very buggy, thankfully it is a dry summer. Also I can't imagine playing this course when it is wet and muddy.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed playing this course. It is easy to write this course off as being too short and easy, however once you approach the course with the mindset that it's not trying to host the Pro Worlds I think it is a lot of fun. I played all three rounds using just my Ion putter and would recommend experienced players approaching this course as putter only. Hat's off to the designers of this course because it clearly took a lot of work, I will definitely go out of my way to play here again when I am in the area.

Something different

1    7/9/2012   7/9/2012
Review By: geognerd
Pros: Lots of trees. Elevation changes. Paver block tee boxes. Nice scenery. Wood chips are spread around to keep things from getting too muddy. Short hole lengths mean us weaker players don't have to worry about cranking out a long drive.
Cons: I listed the elevation change as a positive, but it is also this course's biggest con for me. The elevation change is too steep at #7 and #8. #7 was a little treacherous, but the wooden blocks made the hillside passable. #8 was ridiculous. Blocks were in place, but they were too far apart and the hill was rather steep. Being my first time playing here, I didn't see the staircase on the left side of the hole. By the time I saw it, I was struggling up the hillside and turning back down to use the staircase would've put me on my rear end. Apparently #7 and #8 have staircases, based on the tee signs. Wish I was paying more attention.

The hilltop baskets struck me as gimmicky. I don't mind an uphill shot, but the terrain is steep enough that you're throwing farther up than you are forward. I also did not like how there were several blind shots. You don't know if your disc is going to roll down another hillside if you throw past the basket.

The navigation was terrible. There were a few holes where I had to wander around to find the next tee. I printed the course map, and I don't think it's entirely accurate in terms of the relationship between tee and basket locations. It's easy to lose your bearings and get turned around in the wooded environment. Guide signs or markings on the basket to point out the next tee would be beneficial.

The steps seem short going down the staircase at #9. My feet were too big for the steps, so I had to go down the steps gingerly.
Other Thoughts: The water in front of #8 was shallow, but foul-smelling. It looks like disc golfers over the years have thrown a lot of tree limbs in there so you can tip-toe out to retrieve discs that have landed in the water. I took the recommendation of a previous reviewer to walk the hole first to see where the water was. Good idea.

This course is a unique offering. I haven't played another course with this combination of woods and hilly terrain. If #7 and #8 weren't so steep, I would have enjoyed this course and would be coming back. At least I can say I have played this course and decided it's not for me. A wooded course that has gentler terrain is Black Bear in Hoffman Estates.

< Prev 1 2 3 4