Saint Charles, IL
Campton Hills Share

So much fun

2-4    7/29/2012   8/2/2012
Review By: DocHaole
Pros: This course is a pleasant change of pace for the area. The biggest surprise is the amount of elevation that comes into play. The hills come into play on basically every hole. The course winds through some moderately thick woods, however there are clearly cut fairways that reward accurate throws. Missing the fairway can be punishing however the brush is cleared enough that the risk of losing a disc is pretty low.

I appreciate that the course design forces you to throw a variety of lines to stay on the fairways. I really enjoyed throwing hole #9: a blind downhill dogleg to the right with a steep drop off. This is a great course for new players to come out and learn to throw accurate shots and leave the drivers at home.

The stairs are definitely necessary with the steep slopes however it is nice to see that the designers put in so much effort to make the course.
Cons: The course is ridiculously short, especially Hole 2. And unfortunately the design makes it hard to move the baskets futher back or add long tees.

Safety could definitely be a concern on this course. Personally I almost killed someone walking off of 7s tee box as my drive on 6 made it clean through the trees and over the basket. Also the blind shot on 9 is asking for trouble. How's about yelling clear when you're done? None of this merits changing the design, but worth noting to be careful.

I am told that this course can be very buggy, thankfully it is a dry summer. Also I can't imagine playing this course when it is wet and muddy.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed playing this course. It is easy to write this course off as being too short and easy, however once you approach the course with the mindset that it's not trying to host the Pro Worlds I think it is a lot of fun. I played all three rounds using just my Ion putter and would recommend experienced players approaching this course as putter only. Hat's off to the designers of this course because it clearly took a lot of work, I will definitely go out of my way to play here again when I am in the area.

Something different

1    7/9/2012   7/9/2012
Review By: geognerd
Pros: Lots of trees. Elevation changes. Paver block tee boxes. Nice scenery. Wood chips are spread around to keep things from getting too muddy. Short hole lengths mean us weaker players don't have to worry about cranking out a long drive.
Cons: I listed the elevation change as a positive, but it is also this course's biggest con for me. The elevation change is too steep at #7 and #8. #7 was a little treacherous, but the wooden blocks made the hillside passable. #8 was ridiculous. Blocks were in place, but they were too far apart and the hill was rather steep. Being my first time playing here, I didn't see the staircase on the left side of the hole. By the time I saw it, I was struggling up the hillside and turning back down to use the staircase would've put me on my rear end. Apparently #7 and #8 have staircases, based on the tee signs. Wish I was paying more attention.

The hilltop baskets struck me as gimmicky. I don't mind an uphill shot, but the terrain is steep enough that you're throwing farther up than you are forward. I also did not like how there were several blind shots. You don't know if your disc is going to roll down another hillside if you throw past the basket.

The navigation was terrible. There were a few holes where I had to wander around to find the next tee. I printed the course map, and I don't think it's entirely accurate in terms of the relationship between tee and basket locations. It's easy to lose your bearings and get turned around in the wooded environment. Guide signs or markings on the basket to point out the next tee would be beneficial.

The steps seem short going down the staircase at #9. My feet were too big for the steps, so I had to go down the steps gingerly.
Other Thoughts: The water in front of #8 was shallow, but foul-smelling. It looks like disc golfers over the years have thrown a lot of tree limbs in there so you can tip-toe out to retrieve discs that have landed in the water. I took the recommendation of a previous reviewer to walk the hole first to see where the water was. Good idea.

This course is a unique offering. I haven't played another course with this combination of woods and hilly terrain. If #7 and #8 weren't so steep, I would have enjoyed this course and would be coming back. At least I can say I have played this course and decided it's not for me. A wooded course that has gentler terrain is Black Bear in Hoffman Estates.

Top Notch 9

1    6/3/2012   6/7/2012
Review By: Chicagolandlefty
Pros: Incredible slopes and creative tee shots.
Challenging finesse shots and some of the coolest holes I've played here.
Elevation on almost every tee and you'll rarely be able to throw the same shot twice on a round.
Cons: 8 is a mess. Standing water right where most people will wind up. Be aware of this before teeing off because you can't see the water from the tee.
It can be difficult to climb around if you're not a little acrobatic. The steps in some places are falling apart due to erosion.
Other Thoughts: It's probably the best 9 I've played. Great design with some shots you won't find in many other courses in IL.
As far as 9s go it's great, but short.

5+    8/26/2011   9/4/2011
Review By: Rexdiscus
This review was updated on 5/29/2012
Pros: This is my favorite nine-hole course. I know it is short (pitch and putt in disc golf parlance). However, what it lacks in length, it makes up for in elevation, trees, and just a cool scenery. There are lines to be hit on each hole for a safe passage to the basket, but since I am not a pro, I cannot always hit that line. I like the fact that trees abound, yet the risk of losing a disc in the woods is not very high. People who do not play disc golf would enjoy this place if they liked walking in a wooded environment with elevation changes if they came very early in the morning to avoid all the disc golfers. My first Campton Hills outing of 2012 was met with the addition of new cement tees to replace those other shabby little things that were still here Aug. 2011. That is just another plus for this place I dig so much.
Cons: Like I said, it is very short. It also gets crowed later in the day. I played this course on August 26, 2011 and encountered standing water on hole #8. That is the only time I have ever encountered that here, but it swallowed one of my discs. I like water hazards to make things interesting, but this was a hazard I did not know existed since one cannot see the standing water until you walk closer to the hole. One of those many trees (the last one before the hill on which the basket sits) came into play, then kerplunk! Goodbye mid-range disc. Maybe a little canal system to divert some of that standing water would be nice. I also do not like the fact that it is closed in winter. I play in winter as long as there is not too much snow on the ground. Unfortunately, there was standing water on hole eight again in April 2012. I hate laying up for fear of losing a disc. It means I am ruling out a realistic chance of a deuce.
Other Thoughts: Some people knock off points for a course being only nine holes. I do not believe in that. I enjoy this course more than most 18 hole courses I have played in Illinois. There is just something about this place that keeps bringing me back. If you hate pitch and putt, do not bother coming here. If you do not throw 400 feet (I throw about 320 max), but like to work on finesse, I recommend Campton Hills. If possible, come before noon.

campton hills

5+    7/23/2011   9/1/2011
Review By: dg11
Pros: great scenary cool place to be fun place to play on great for finding frisbees n great for beginners
Cons: lots of hills and trees usually muddy on a couple of holes sometimes a lot of mosquitos
Other Thoughts: love this course

Awesome Spot

1    8/18/2011   8/18/2011
Review By: cpoquette
Pros: Thickly wooded, good atmosphere, never very windy so its easy to like a cig. Its close to my house. Good elevation changes on almost every hole. You can play it when it is kinda raining because of the tree canopy over your head. Cant get sunburnt there, so that cool! Once I found 10 cold unopened beers in a garbage there, guess security made some little idiot highschool kids throw them out. Got my first ace there.
Cons: Lots of idiot kids all summer and after 3pm during the school year. Hole eight reminds me of the Degobah system where yoda lives, swampy and buggy for the rest of the season after a big rain. You never really get to open up and let it rip.
Other Thoughts: Overall a pretty fun little 9 hole course. Its basically like a putt putt course for disc golf. Its also fun cause you can play 54 holes and not have a sore arm and it only takes 20 minutes per 9 if its not crowded.

The course that Got me Hooked

1    8/5/2011   8/17/2011
Review By: Disc Jedi
Pros: A beautiful course that couples a rousing game of Disc Golf with a nature hike. The holes are challenging and tempt the player to take risks that can pay off.
Being as this was the first time I'd ever played disc golf this course will forever hold a special place in my Disc Golf heart.
Cons: It is easy to lose discs
Other Thoughts: I would recomend this course to anyone who either lives in or is visiting the Chicago land area

Great Complement to Area Courses!

2-4    12/23/2010   4/5/2011
Review By: cefire
Pros: As the title of this review states, it is refreshing to have a moderately/tightly wooded course in the area. So often, area courses consist of wide open holes where the player can choose from any number of shots. Campton Hills really requires that most shots are shaped according to the fairways which are defined by small, skinny trees. This means that the average midwest player may have to step out of the comfort zone to 'get it done' on these shorter, tighter holes. It is a great place for a newer player to take a putter and a midrange and learn to throw with accuracy - plenty of other local destinations to practice with a boss or katana. Fast greens are another nice complement to area courses. Because of the dirt and elevation, putts and approaches that don't have a bit of finesse may be flying right by the basket on the way to a three putt.
Cons: Safety: As other reviewers have noted, several of the previous baskets and subsequent teepads are very close together. In an especially bad combination, players are throwing downhill almost directly towards the next tee. Be vigilant out here or you may end up with a disc in the head!

Erosion: Most of the fairways and especially near basket placements have rolling elevation and consist mainly of a mud base. When it is wet, I'd imagine this place is really tough to play. When we visited, it had been fairly dry for a few days prior, but there was plenty of evidence of past erosion.
Other Thoughts: All-in-all, Campton Hills is a nice flip-flop of the usual NW Illinois niner. It incorporates both nice tight fairways and decent elevation. This course is perfect for the family (as long as people keep a 'heads up') or for the newer player who needs to figure out how to play in the woods. More experienced players are going to have a birdie-fest and while they may have a fun round or two, aren't going to be making a regular trip out.

Change of pace

1    10/10/2010   10/10/2010
Review By: flingkaching
This review was updated on 10/17/2010
Pros: Easy to find due to Dics Golf Course sign from the road, only disc golf here, had signs & map so easy to navagate, not overly busy, was nice to throw a few steep up & down elevation shots, there are plenty of obstructions and trouble areas including inadvertant shoots over steep ledged areas to sides or past some pins. Good course etiquette from other players. Plays fast.
Cons: Tee pads too small & some are not level surfaces, also poor footing if shooting at sides of pads from dirt (potential for injury issues with this course). It's a short course, most holes too short, hole 2 is rediculously short and too easy a shot. Had a large standing water pool at back side of hole 8 with trees all around, had no idea it was there, shot skimmed a tree & landed in it, lost a gray x wildcat. Course lacks variety & only 9 holes.
Other Thoughts: Not too bad aside from the footing issues which is a major deduction to me. Definately room in areas for improvements. Has some uniqueness to it in comparison to other courses in area & some fun shots at least. You get a workout walking up & down all the steep inclines. Wouldn't go out of my way to play here but might stop by again if in the area & will be wearing my high tops next time.

Fun for all ages

2-4    10/9/2010   10/9/2010
Review By: notapro
Pros: - Park is devoted completely to disc golf, to the point where it isn't really a park... just a course. The land is perfect for it, with large hills and cliffs and a good amount of trees.
- Almost every hole has some kind of elevation change, and can be pretty extreme. A few uphill and downhill cliff shots, hills off the tee and by the basket, and some nasty ravines as hazards. The shorter length on some holes make it even more pronounced, shots have to get up or down quickly.
- Great mix of different lines to hit, which are pretty much forced due to plenty of trees in the fairway (and off it). Almost a perfect mix with 3 left, 3 right, and 3 straight holes. Being able to throw BH, FH, and OH accurately can lead to some great shots.
- There is only rough in a few places, the majority of the course just has dense clusters of trees that force the way. This means there are tons of opportunities to get creative with shot selection, to find that perfect hidden line, if you don't like the obvious one.
- When I was there, a puddle of water in #8's fairway, before the hill, was a huge hazard. It really added a challenge to avoid it, and is in a good spot to punish short or redirected shots.
- A few well protected baskets thanks to ravines, some trees, hills, and slopes.
- Good baskets, good signs. Navigation pretty easy. Great staircases and paths to get around as well. Nice, short teepads for a short course.
Cons: - Although it is a newer course, it has a very old school feel. This includes the very, very short hole lengths. It is tough to list that as a con; as it is not trying to be a long course, but the average length is 176'.
Other Thoughts: - This course doesn't care if you can throw over 250', it just wants you to hit a bunch of different lines and show some good control. There are some punishing areas, like left of #1 and right of #7, and plenty of trees to avoid all over the place. It might be a bit frustrating for a beginner, but everyone should enjoy this course.