Terre Haute, IN
Deming Park Share
Uploaded By: HighFlyer88 Hole #6 (Taken 8/2010)

1    10/22/2015   11/10/2015
Review By: Nathanwojo
Pros: Easy to follow the path from hole to hole
The baskets are in great condition
The baskets are placed in great spots
The tees are concrete and new
Very hard to lose a disc
Cons: The signs are dated
The course has been updated but the signs are the old ones
-some signs are missing

So Nice I Played It Twice

2-4    8/31/2015   9/9/2015
Review By: Jukeshoe
Pros: - Deming Park is a bustling downtown park in Terre Haute, IN. From the main entrance, take the road counter-clockwise around the park about 3/4's of the way. #1's teepad is located directly next to the road. I didn't see any obvious parking lots, so I just parked alongside the road (which seemed to be allowed). The course is a mix of open with a few semi-wooded holes thrown in on the edge of a small strip of woodland running the length of the course. There're plenty of trees here for line-shaping but lots of space with which to work around them as well.
- Rolling elevation throughout the course gives this old-school park a lot to work with, and mostly it's put to great use. Most holes have some sort of up or down, often smartly incorporated with large trees to force certain shots that aren't possible using just elevation or just trees. Hole #2, with its short downhill low-ceiling trouble-behind the pin shot, is a perfect example. The low branches and short downhill nature really make you stop and think about shot selection here. #18 is another shot that effectively uses trees and hillside in conjunction with each other.
- Decent enough amenities. Old-school but effective signage. Dual pin positions. Benches added to a few of the more nature-y spots. Concrete tee pads in fine shape.
- Good, but not great, mix of distances. Enough length here for more experienced players to not get completely bored, but nothing in the 500'+ range. This is park-style, collect "Dem" birdies golf.
Cons: - The signage could get updated to reflect the dual pin positions, and a few tee signs were missing entirely, but it really didn't detract much (if at all) from my rounds here. The flow is pretty obvious in most instances, with only one or two areas where brief confusion might pop up.
- Not much to object to here, really, other than the missing signage. Everything felt really well maintained, the grass was freshly mown, and the course was fun and engaging without ever really kicking the "awesome factor" into overdrive or anything.
Other Thoughts: - I liked Deming Park more than I thought I would, which typically seems to be the case whenever I play old-school 80's courses. This course does hold up well, though, for modern golf as well as for putter- or mid-only rounds. I had a busy day of course bagging scheduled and Deming was first up to bat. I enjoyed myself so much I ended up circling around and playing a second round. I wanted to take another stab at several of the holes (I'm looking at you, #2...) I thought were easy-peasy but ended up botching first time around.
-Public service announcement: the fuzz pulled the "slow roll-by" past me no less than 5 times during my two (fairly briskly paced) rounds here. Apparently even white, middle class, mid-30's dudes look suspicious in Terre Haute.

2-4    8/6/2013   8/6/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: Deming Park is a nice "public" park course that really reminds me of Bradley Park in Peoria, Illinois. Its easy to play (though when I played the course it was 100 degrees) and the chance of losing a disc is very low. I would classify the course as an easy course for an advanced level player and a good course for a new player to get started. Here are my pros:

1) It seems that more and more of the new courses being put in the ground are super challenging gold level courses: this is not one of those courses. This course had some age to it (apparently its been here for 30 years) and I was okay with that. Sometimes its fun to just come out to the course and play a quick round and not worry about looking for discs or being crushed by a long par 5 in the woods. Deming Park has a feel of the "oldie" disc golf courses, where the typical course was in a public park and didn't even flirt with the woods. Its a nice, easy play.

2) Rolling Hills: This course actually has some nice elevation. There's a couple downhill shots and there's a nice uphill shot on hole 11 (which I aced!). The elevation definitely adds some "intrigue" to the shortness of the holes.

3) Course Features: The signs are very descriptive and show the lines of the hole and everything you need to know. The pads were nice and concrete and the baskets caught well.

4) Multi-Use Park: This park is actually a very nice park and not just used for disc golf. That's okay, because the park had some nice features outside of disc golf. It contains an arboretum, gardens, playgrounds, pool, lakes, and gazebos with concrete floors.

5) The trees in this park were truly stunning. They were majestic and old and really provided the main obstacles the course featured. The trees also had massive branches which over arched into most of the fairways, causing a lot of low ceiling shots.

5B) Design: Going along with that last point, the design of this course is actually really strong considering the land that was available to the designer and the fact that it was designed so many years ago. As stated above, the main thing this course has going for it are the trees and the hills and both are great obstacles. The HUGE trees and branches (like Lord of the Rings "Ent" trees huge) force some very specific shots and a lot of low-ceiling shots.

6) Even though the course is fairly short (right around 5000 feet) there were actually a few places where you could air out a disc. Holes 12 and 13 were over 400 feet and really required a long drive to get near the basket. In particular, hole 12 was a lot of fun to throw as this was a neat downhill shot.

7) Ace opportunities: Who doesn't like to have a chance at some aces? I actually hit an ace and hit another basket dead center in the same round. I like hard and challenging but if a course is going to be easy I like the opportunity for an ace. 6 holes were 250 feet and under so there were some great chances.

8) Navigation: This course was very easy to get around. I had no issues getting from hole to hole!
Cons: Just a few cons on this course:

1) Back in the 1980's it seemed that courses were designed with a RHBH hyzer shot in mind. This course is no different. This course heavily favors that shot.

2) Alternate Pins: I like alternate pins but I feel they should always be marked on the sign. Its as simple as having a screw on the sign next to the pin and then putting a washer on the specific screw for each position. That's just a suggestion but would help out of towners.

3) Some of the holes became a bit too repetitive for me. Maybe it was because of the over-abundance of low ceiling shots or the reliance on the RHBH hyzer shot but it did feel a little repetitive.

4) While I do tend to thoroughly enjoy playing "fun and easy" courses, its tough for me to rate that kind of course anywhere above a 4. If the course doesn't have a lot of challenge I can certainly still enjoy the course but if a course is too easy then I do tend to downgrade the rating a little bit. I definitely would not say that for this course but the challenge factor is lower here. Its just over 5000 feet with no wooded holes so one certainly shouldn't come here expecting to play Highbridge Gold or Iron Hill.
Other Thoughts: All in all this is a solid city course with some nice rolling hills and well placed trees. In my opinion its probably somewhere between a 3 and 3.25. If I was coming through town I would definitely play this course again. This course is a "Good" course that offered some fun holes.

Troll's Review

1    8/30/2012   10/5/2013
Review By: Eric troll Biscuits
Pros: 18 holes in a 'user" friendly fashion
Nice park setting, and has a "stroller friendly' strip
Well maintained too, no "disc fearing" spots.
Newer Baskets
Some elevations, and mature trees, good use of the landscape.
Cons: None, that I can think of...:) I guess just like any course, expansion, and a make over with the sports progression could happen...
Other Thoughts: For people who don't like my reviews. play this course. Its a great example for its location. Excellent = course does not have to be over technically designed to frustrate players...

5+    5/19/2013   5/20/2013
Review By: gskinner
Pros: New baskets! Well marked. The layout is great, natural play no searching required for play. Open holes and tree paths offer challenges for beginners and the experienced. One of the nicest parks I've played in. Up and down shots through rolling hills. Mature trees offering great shade, most of the course is shaded.
Cons: Distance is a little off and some holes do not have signs or the signs are old and hard to read. The park is great and some ppl are usually in the way at some place or another. Lots of ppl play but usually let you play through.

The hills of indiana are alive with the sounds of chains

1    6/4/2011   6/27/2011
Review By: numbernine
Pros: Variety of shots - The first hole is a nice shot on to the side of a hill. The second hole goes way down hill to a basket that is protected by a gigantic tree and a thick woods behind the hole. There are sharp, tight turns that demand accuracy and wide open shots. Long, incredibly tight wooded holes along side short, wide open, hilly holes that punish ill placed shots.

Tee pads - All of them seemed to be in very good shape and were surrounded by mulch and/or dirt to ensure that you didn't fall off of the end and break an ankle. Some might complain that these pads were too long, but it felt good to me.

Layout - Intuitive, natural layout that led you from one hole to the next without having to guess where you were going. There wasn't any point during my three rounds there that I was wondering where I was off to next.

Signage - Good job marking the distance of both pin locations as well as the big terrain in play. Though I found some of the distances to be a little off, most of them were spot on and in place.
Cons: Baskets - I can't be sure, but I think that I counted five different kinds of baskets on this course. Of the 18 holes, I would venture to say that half of them had "good baskets". Hole 1's basket is terrible. Very shallow and the chains are laying right against the pole. There was another hole, I want to say it was #7, where your disc could literally fall through the bottom of the basket. Some of the baskets that sat on the hills were not level. How do I know? Because all of the chains leaned to one side of the target! Fixing these issues would bump this course up another half point at least for me.
Other Thoughts: This is a good course with a great club running the place. The park is beautiful and the DG course really uses the terrain well.

Great park course

2-4    5/19/2010   5/20/2010
Review By: bilemshious
Pros: Beautiful park with nice rolling hills and mature trees. It's very well maintained even after a few days of rain. Even though this park has a good amount of other activities, the disc golf course stays in it's own area. This is not a rinky-dink park course though.

This is a fairly difficult course. The distances are somewhat deceiving. Most of the holes are in the 200-300ft range, but what makes this course difficult are the obstacles and low canopy on many of the holes. This course certainly requires a your entire bag of shots - hyzers, anhyzers, mid-range, long bombs. The mature trees in the fairways and the tree line on the outskirts really shape the holes. The trees aren't your only obstacles - the rolling hills provide some fun problems.

As far as logistics - the tee pads are nice, level cement; the baskets are nice and new; there are a couple places go use the restroom and drink from a water fountain. No benches but there are plenty of trash receptacles. Tee signs show course par, distance to the basket and a rough diagram as to where the basket is located. The course was busy but they were friendly people. Being a stones throw from Rose Holman and Indiana State, I'm not surprised.

While I've only played one set of basket placements, I saw many of the alternates. They all looked to drastically alter the play of the hole.
Cons: Some of the holes seem crammed into one spot. Holes 5, 6, and 7 are all very close. I think the designer (while I do like the layout) could have used the land a little wiser than this. After all, there is plenty of space in this park.

The first time out, it was difficult to grasp the layout of the blind holes. The only reason this is a con is because of the vague tee-signs. They don't change the tee signs based on the alternate tees either.

Being a park course means that the scenery is fairly limited. Sure the mature trees and elevation changes provide some variety, but there was a point where it seemed repetitive - throw from the tee towards some large trees.

Watch out for those mosquitoes in the woods during the summer months. Also, those squirrels aren't scared of anything - including you.
Other Thoughts: This would be a pretty good course to take a beginner. They are able to learn while more experienced players can still enjoy the challenge of this course.

I think my review conflicts in some ways with some of the other reviews. Obviously I can only write from my own perspective.

It was difficult to think of drastic oversights that would really drag this course's score down. It's a nice, clean, well-thought out course. I drove an hour from Bloomington and was a little jealous of the people who live much closer as a result of this course. I will definitely be back to play this course. Like LeVar Burton, don't take my word for it.

Nice course

1    8/19/2008   7/29/2009
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course is in one corner of a giant park with scattered mature trees and rolling hills. Most of the holes have at least a little elevation to add interest and difficulty. There aren't many wide open holes, most play through scattered trees with denser woods off some of the fairways. Most of the pins were protected by trees, and used the available trees well to create interesting lines.

The park is beautiful with nicely manicured grass on most fairways, and beautiful older trees. The tees were concrete, and most were in fine shape. There were accurate tee signs on each hole, with all the various pin placements marked with distance. The alternate placements made for very different shots, and would change the course up quite a bit. The course was very well marked, and easy to follow with no real navigation issues.

There are some holes that are definitely aceable, but most will reward good accurate tee shots and punish errant drives. The trees create interesting canopies and windows that make most of the holes more difficult than expected given the relative openness of the course.

The park was full of other activities and tons of people, but the course was designed so that it completely avoided other park users. Despite a huge number of pedestrians throughout the park, none were wandering around on the course or disrupting play.
Cons: I love multiple pin placements, but when they are there I want to see a way of marking which locations the pins are in. This could be as simple as posting the current locations at the beginning of the course or marking in grease pencil on the tee signs.

The course was very biased toward RHBH hyzer shots, it would have been nice to see a little more variety. Though the course didn't feel repetitive, it also didn't really test different kinds of shots, or play as fair for a left handed or forehand player.
Other Thoughts: This course is a great beginner course, with no real chance of losing discs and generous fairways for shorter throwers. More experienced players will find this course fun, but not terribly challenging, though accuracy is required to deuce many of the holes.

This is the best course in the area, so stop by and play if you're anywhere near. Definitely worth a little bit of a drive to get here and play a fun round in a great park.

Beginners Pars

1    6/26/2009   6/30/2009
Review By: I3ooI3oo
Pros: While on a recent trip up to Indiana I had the joy of playing this course. It is very well maintained, the grass is cut and the concrete tee pads are pour into a trapezoid which points to the basket. The signs were good, all except one which was a replacement, show the possible lines you should take, along with next pad location in relation to the basket. There are big trees that require you to bring a technical game if you want to throw a < 54 round. There are also some nice hill which to a flatlander was nice change.
Cons: Course par is 72. There are many < 300' holes that are par 4's and two par 5's that were under 500'.
Other Thoughts: This course is fun to play with a much lower chance of loosing a disc. There is only wood off to the left of 1 or 2 holes. I think this course should be labeled as a beginners course, well with the par being 72. I could see being a local playing it as a 54 and having a negative round.

Good Course from this beginner's perspective

1    6/12/2009   6/15/2009
Review By: corey
This review was updated on 6/26/2009
Pros: This was my first time playing disc golf, and I enjoyed this course. It had some easier holes for new players like myself, and several holes that were challenging (though I imagine more experienced players might find the course relatively easy). The course is well maintained and not very busy on a Friday afternoon with great weather, so we were able to play right through with no problems.

I liked the variety of holes- some heavily wooded, some with blind baskets, some making great use of elevation (both up and down). Most of the holes were pretty short, so new players without booming drives don't find themselves well behind long-throwers.

EDIT: I've now played this course three times, and the baskets have been changed each time, so I think the course gets weekly changeups.
Cons: The course could use updated diagrams/maps at several holes- marking the different pin placements, etc. including #1, where several of the signs were unreadable due to grime/age. The layout of the course was slightly confusing for someone who had never been there- it was at times difficult to figure out where the next hole started.

Most of my throws tail to the right, and it seemed many of the holes end with a left-ward bend (which posed challenges for me, but might be a benefit to others).
Other Thoughts: This course was a great start for me, and since it's only 5 minutes from home, I imagine it will become my home field. Now to work on turning that into a home field advantage!