Colorado Springs, CO
Widefield Park Share
Uploaded By: LeewayeDiscGolf Hole #1 (Taken 11/2009)
Hole #1 Pro Tee (on sidewalk)

1    7/9/2010   7/9/2010
Review By: mgcarney
Pros: The course has a wide variety in lengths. This was nice. Several holes had an abundance of trees between you and the basket, especially number 17. This course requires some finesse.
Cons: The OB's were very intimidating. Let go to late or throw an under-stable disc (if you are a righty) and you are right over the barb wired fence of many less than happy residents. Rescuing one disc took about 30 minutes to count the houses and talk to the owner, and finally return to the course. The creek also provided a problem. Fast water steep sides make for a tough rescue.
Other Thoughts: I would play this course regularly only if I lived within a few minutes. It's not worth a long drive.

Walk in the Woods

2-4    7/2/2010   7/4/2010
Review By: DGRunner
Pros: This course is fairly unassuming with some variation. The course is entirely flat with a small, but quick creek. Most of the holes wind along the creek around the mature trees. There are several ace possibilities. Many holes have multiple pin positions and multiple tee pads which increase the difficulty. The trees affect almost every shot.
Cons: The lack of elevation (surprising because Springs is so hilly) makes the course bland. The course is very easy even from the long tees. I would not want to play here when the creek is high. You cannot avoid the creek unless you layup on most of the holes.
Other Thoughts: If you live in Denver, I recommend Cottonwood. This is not an amazing course. It is a nice course with some easy holes. I could see some really low scores here. The course has grass, but many dirt patches. There is a very nice memorial by hole #3 for victims of a plane crash.

Great Springs Course

2-4    6/30/2010   7/1/2010
Review By: ColoradoDiscGolfer
This review was updated on 7/17/2010
Pros: This course has a lot going for it, from long drives in open fields to tight areas in the trees. All in a very long and narrow park (great use of space) which can provide nice shade on those HOT summer days. This course has many "pro" tee options for more advanced players.
Cons: A small creek can come into play on a few holes, depending on pin placement. Houses are close to a few tee pad as well, with many "No Trespassing" signs, resulting in a possible long walk around to ask for a disc back (not fun).
Other Thoughts: Coming from Denver this is by far my favorite Springs course, it spread out well and usually far lees crowded than Cottonwood Creek can get. Terrain is fair enough for children or strollers.

Its ok...

2-4    6/1/2005   6/10/2010
Review By: Drew Heintz
Pros: It is pretty open so you have less chance to loose a disc. The river that runs through some of the course is very nice and fun to play around.
Cons: Nothin too cool about it. Just a regular course in a park.
Other Thoughts: Out of three Courses in the Springs, this one is third for me.

Nice Park

1    11/25/2009   11/30/2009
Review By: Camgolfer
Pros: Widefield has many mature trees that add a level of difficulty to each shot. Most of the holes have alternate pin or tee placements. The winding creek through the course adds a challenge. The course was well maintained and was quiet and clean. The back section of the park consists of shorter holes that offer great risk/reward with the creek behind many baskets. The course was not busy at all, and I have heard it stays that way most of the time. The bright red baskets are easy to spot.
Cons: The proximity of some holes to neighbor's yards poses a lost disc problem. Many of the fairways cross, so keeping a watch out is imperative. The tee signs are nice, but do not tell which of the pin locations the basket is in. We were lucky to play with a local.
Other Thoughts: Many holes had alternate tees so your experience with the course may be different depending on the tees you played from. We played from more of the "Pro" tees. There are many holes that make you work hard for par, and many that a 2 is easily achievable. It is the least busy of the two public courses in Colorado Springs, but still offers a good time.

Widefield

5+    7/14/2008   7/21/2009
Review By: The Crit Piece
Pros: This is a pretty sweet course that can be challenging for most players, especially when its windy which is often. There are some nice longer holes which occasionally have a tough alley to shoot through. The creek can create some tougher shots. There are a solid amount of trees to get in your way and knock down otherwise great drives (story of my life). Also a great place to bring your pup along with you especially if they like to swim. We usually roll with a bulldog who LOVES the water but cant swim so the creek is perfect for smaller dogs and younger dogs. Its also almost never crowded which is a huge bonus so you can work on some shots and take some extra practice drives.
Cons: My main issue here is the bugs. The creek breeds tons of bugs and mosquitos that seem to only go after me and leave everyone else alone. The creek also gets pretty ill at times when the water is more stagnant but the usual quick rain storm in the afternoon fixes that up nicely. They let the grass get out of control at times which makes it tougher to find your disc and tends to have a ton of bugs that are pretty annoying. When they mow it occasionally it makes things a lot more enjoyable. Sometimes trash is an issue which is more of an ambience issue then anything that will get in the way of your fun so dont litter and toss a couple pieces of trash for the greater good.
Other Thoughts: This is a really fun course that is moderately difficult at times, especially for beginners. I have had a lot of fun here so if you're around this area definitely take a couple hours and hit it up

Challenging course, if you know the local rules

1    3/14/2009   5/21/2009
Review By: mwgheaton
Pros: This is a well designed course in a great park. It almost has a Midwestern feel as it plays very long and sits on flat land playing over a small creek with huge hardwood trees (mostly cottonwood). The pins and pads are very high quality and durable. There are multiple tee pads for various levels of players and a very challenging layout if you are aware of the mandos (areas that are mandatory to keep you disc within or it considered out-of-bounds).
Cons: The large sign/map at hole #1 is very worn out and is not very helpful and the mandos are not marked anywhere. It is the mandos that make this course challenging. A nicer and less confusing downloadable map would be helpful as well.
Other Thoughts: I was fortunate to be joined by Sk8 (David) Kendrick, a former pro and local Colorado Springs disc golf figure. He showed me the ins and outs of the course. I had found the course a bit on the easy side until he pointed out the mandos and got me on the pro tees. This course has a great history. Evidently the neighborhood used to be considered a fairly rough area and the park reflected this. The disc golf course and the local community investment into the whole park has helped to make the park one of the nice community open spaces in Colorado Springs. One note, on hole #3, there are a set of younger trees grouped to the right of the fairway on the west side of the creek. This is a memorial for the passengers of a plane that crashed in that spot. Locals consider it disrespectful play into those trees. West of the creek is considered out of bounds so play it safe to the left of the creek. This makes for a tough shot on the pro tee, so if you are worried at all about it, head down to the amateur tee.

Throw it out, get it close, tap it in.

1    7/2/2008   3/1/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: Widefield is on the south side of the Springs, opposite Cottonwood Creek which services the north side of town . The course has red baskets and plays around a park for the first few holes then picks up along a creek and back with one strange street crossing in the back. Giant cottonwood trees and the creek give the course its character. There are good usable facilities and the teepads are long and level toward the ground surface. There are two tee pads per hole on some holes and up to four pin locations per hole, as always, I tried to play the longs. In the spots where there was only one tee pad there was a lot less confusion. Each tee pad has a post with a faded but quality picture of the fairway with each a,b,c, and d locations on the picture along with their distances. Because of their multiple tee boxes, and easy navigation I could recommend this course for all levels of players. When I played, I had the course all to myself.

This is the only course I have ever dragged my 50 year old mother onto, and I caught her digging the sport, I could tell that she "got" it. If it was good enough for my mom, it will always have a good place in my memory.
Cons: One course quirk is by the turnaround, the backyards of the neighbors are very close to play, I imagine recreational players hook em in there all the time. Some of the neighbors have put those huge military style coiled barbed-wire on their fences. In a way I don't blame them. If it were me I'd be taking down my fence and building my own tee boxes and BBQing during tournaments but I guess it takes all kinds. The course is pretty flat and there are no elevation changes. Keep an eye out for the few tee boxes that are spray painted onto the sidewalk. I had an easy time finding things, but just to be on the safe side print out the map from here.
Other Thoughts: I'd say that I like Cottonwood Creek more because of my preference for natural settings but they are almost equal in quality. The afternoon I played the weather was typical, "summertime in the Rockies." Sideways rain with bursting gusts and intermittent sunshine which forced me to make about five minutes worth of practice putts with my wind breaker on. I look forward to playing the Springs again someday!

decent course

5+    2/23/2011   2/28/2009
Review By: wolito
This review was updated on 3/1/2011
Pros: Nice clean course in a city park. Pretty good mix of hole lengths. Nice baskets in pretty good condition.The teepads are all cement and just the right size. Moderately wooded on the middle part of the course, forcing some well shaped shots. Larger mature trees add to the challenge but I wouldn't consider this a wooded course. They move the pins around frequentlyto keep it exciting. Good risk/reward potential here, well thrown/placed shot and you got a birdie. Creek throughout comes into play on several holes, especially in the middle part of the course. It is a small creek that is easy to get your disc back, when it is low. Play is pretty straightforward and easy to get around. Short walking distance between basket and teepad. Course is mowed often and no underbrush to worry about losing a disc here.
Cons: Mostly grass area with trees. A majority of the holes are straight shots. Only a slight elevation change throughout the course. There is a walking trail throught the middle of the course that you see walkers on, so you have to wait sometimes. Lots of beginners play here and often congest the course with their slow play. Graffiti on the baskets and teesigns frequently.
Other Thoughts: A solid 18 hole course that is easy to get to and easy to play. A few holes do require some skill to place it carefully, especially on the middle portion of the course. The creek may be small, but it winds around the fairways and for some reason my discs just gravitate towards it. A fun and enjoyable round can be had at this course.

Widefield DGC

2-4    2/4/2009   2/21/2009
Review By: J.Kasm
This review was updated on 2/26/2009
Pros: This course is outstanding! Although I when I played it, it was around 17 degrees and snowing, it was still a great time. My friend and I were the only two golfers on the course because of the weather and we took our time. I'll admit that I didn't play very well. The course has a lot of open shots along with hyzer and anhyzer baskets. An added bonus, that makes this course so friendly to beginners, is that it has AM and Pro tees with over half the baskets. Plenty of obstacles and the creek is also nice when teeing-off on the #3 basket.
Cons: A couple of the bottom 9 baskets share greens, which could cause a little traffic when the course is busy; other than that, there aren't really any cons to this course. Just try to stay out of the water.
Other Thoughts: The creek isn't very deep, but it is a pain in the you-know-what if you sink a disc into it. I'll try to post some pictures of the course, but I'm not sure how useful they'll be considering everything was white while we were playing. LOL