Colorado Springs, CO

1 2 3 Next >
 Its ok...

2-4    6/1/2005   6/10/2010
Review By: Drew Heintz
Pros: It is pretty open so you have less chance to loose a disc. The river that runs through some of the course is very nice and fun to play around.
Cons: Nothin too cool about it. Just a regular course in a park.
Other Thoughts: Out of three Courses in the Springs, this one is third for me.

Nice Park

1    11/25/2009   11/30/2009
Review By: Camgolfer
Pros: Widefield has many mature trees that add a level of difficulty to each shot. Most of the holes have alternate pin or tee placements. The winding creek through the course adds a challenge. The course was well maintained and was quiet and clean. The back section of the park consists of shorter holes that offer great risk/reward with the creek behind many baskets. The course was not busy at all, and I have heard it stays that way most of the time. The bright red baskets are easy to spot.
Cons: The proximity of some holes to neighbor's yards poses a lost disc problem. Many of the fairways cross, so keeping a watch out is imperative. The tee signs are nice, but do not tell which of the pin locations the basket is in. We were lucky to play with a local.
Other Thoughts: Many holes had alternate tees so your experience with the course may be different depending on the tees you played from. We played from more of the "Pro" tees. There are many holes that make you work hard for par, and many that a 2 is easily achievable. It is the least busy of the two public courses in Colorado Springs, but still offers a good time.

Widefield

5+    7/14/2008   7/21/2009
Review By: The Crit Piece
Pros: This is a pretty sweet course that can be challenging for most players, especially when its windy which is often. There are some nice longer holes which occasionally have a tough alley to shoot through. The creek can create some tougher shots. There are a solid amount of trees to get in your way and knock down otherwise great drives (story of my life). Also a great place to bring your pup along with you especially if they like to swim. We usually roll with a bulldog who LOVES the water but cant swim so the creek is perfect for smaller dogs and younger dogs. Its also almost never crowded which is a huge bonus so you can work on some shots and take some extra practice drives.
Cons: My main issue here is the bugs. The creek breeds tons of bugs and mosquitos that seem to only go after me and leave everyone else alone. The creek also gets pretty ill at times when the water is more stagnant but the usual quick rain storm in the afternoon fixes that up nicely. They let the grass get out of control at times which makes it tougher to find your disc and tends to have a ton of bugs that are pretty annoying. When they mow it occasionally it makes things a lot more enjoyable. Sometimes trash is an issue which is more of an ambience issue then anything that will get in the way of your fun so dont litter and toss a couple pieces of trash for the greater good.
Other Thoughts: This is a really fun course that is moderately difficult at times, especially for beginners. I have had a lot of fun here so if you're around this area definitely take a couple hours and hit it up

Challenging course, if you know the local rules

1    3/14/2009   5/21/2009
Review By: mwgheaton
Pros: This is a well designed course in a great park. It almost has a Midwestern feel as it plays very long and sits on flat land playing over a small creek with huge hardwood trees (mostly cottonwood). The pins and pads are very high quality and durable. There are multiple tee pads for various levels of players and a very challenging layout if you are aware of the mandos (areas that are mandatory to keep you disc within or it considered out-of-bounds).
Cons: The large sign/map at hole #1 is very worn out and is not very helpful and the mandos are not marked anywhere. It is the mandos that make this course challenging. A nicer and less confusing downloadable map would be helpful as well.
Other Thoughts: I was fortunate to be joined by Sk8 (David) Kendrick, a former pro and local Colorado Springs disc golf figure. He showed me the ins and outs of the course. I had found the course a bit on the easy side until he pointed out the mandos and got me on the pro tees. This course has a great history. Evidently the neighborhood used to be considered a fairly rough area and the park reflected this. The disc golf course and the local community investment into the whole park has helped to make the park one of the nice community open spaces in Colorado Springs. One note, on hole #3, there are a set of younger trees grouped to the right of the fairway on the west side of the creek. This is a memorial for the passengers of a plane that crashed in that spot. Locals consider it disrespectful play into those trees. West of the creek is considered out of bounds so play it safe to the left of the creek. This makes for a tough shot on the pro tee, so if you are worried at all about it, head down to the amateur tee.

Throw it out, get it close, tap it in.

1    7/2/2008   3/1/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: Widefield is on the south side of the Springs, opposite Cottonwood Creek which services the north side of town . The course has red baskets and plays around a park for the first few holes then picks up along a creek and back with one strange street crossing in the back. Giant cottonwood trees and the creek give the course its character. There are good usable facilities and the teepads are long and level toward the ground surface. There are two tee pads per hole on some holes and up to four pin locations per hole, as always, I tried to play the longs. In the spots where there was only one tee pad there was a lot less confusion. Each tee pad has a post with a faded but quality picture of the fairway with each a,b,c, and d locations on the picture along with their distances. Because of their multiple tee boxes, and easy navigation I could recommend this course for all levels of players. When I played, I had the course all to myself.

This is the only course I have ever dragged my 50 year old mother onto, and I caught her digging the sport, I could tell that she "got" it. If it was good enough for my mom, it will always have a good place in my memory.
Cons: One course quirk is by the turnaround, the backyards of the neighbors are very close to play, I imagine recreational players hook em in there all the time. Some of the neighbors have put those huge military style coiled barbed-wire on their fences. In a way I don't blame them. If it were me I'd be taking down my fence and building my own tee boxes and BBQing during tournaments but I guess it takes all kinds. The course is pretty flat and there are no elevation changes. Keep an eye out for the few tee boxes that are spray painted onto the sidewalk. I had an easy time finding things, but just to be on the safe side print out the map from here.
Other Thoughts: I'd say that I like Cottonwood Creek more because of my preference for natural settings but they are almost equal in quality. The afternoon I played the weather was typical, "summertime in the Rockies." Sideways rain with bursting gusts and intermittent sunshine which forced me to make about five minutes worth of practice putts with my wind breaker on. I look forward to playing the Springs again someday!

decent course

5+    2/23/2011   2/28/2009
Review By: wolito
This review was updated on 3/1/2011
Pros: Nice clean course in a city park. Pretty good mix of hole lengths. Nice baskets in pretty good condition.The teepads are all cement and just the right size. Moderately wooded on the middle part of the course, forcing some well shaped shots. Larger mature trees add to the challenge but I wouldn't consider this a wooded course. They move the pins around frequentlyto keep it exciting. Good risk/reward potential here, well thrown/placed shot and you got a birdie. Creek throughout comes into play on several holes, especially in the middle part of the course. It is a small creek that is easy to get your disc back, when it is low. Play is pretty straightforward and easy to get around. Short walking distance between basket and teepad. Course is mowed often and no underbrush to worry about losing a disc here.
Cons: Mostly grass area with trees. A majority of the holes are straight shots. Only a slight elevation change throughout the course. There is a walking trail throught the middle of the course that you see walkers on, so you have to wait sometimes. Lots of beginners play here and often congest the course with their slow play. Graffiti on the baskets and teesigns frequently.
Other Thoughts: A solid 18 hole course that is easy to get to and easy to play. A few holes do require some skill to place it carefully, especially on the middle portion of the course. The creek may be small, but it winds around the fairways and for some reason my discs just gravitate towards it. A fun and enjoyable round can be had at this course.

Widefield DGC

2-4    2/4/2009   2/21/2009
Review By: J.Kasm
This review was updated on 2/26/2009
Pros: This course is outstanding! Although I when I played it, it was around 17 degrees and snowing, it was still a great time. My friend and I were the only two golfers on the course because of the weather and we took our time. I'll admit that I didn't play very well. The course has a lot of open shots along with hyzer and anhyzer baskets. An added bonus, that makes this course so friendly to beginners, is that it has AM and Pro tees with over half the baskets. Plenty of obstacles and the creek is also nice when teeing-off on the #3 basket.
Cons: A couple of the bottom 9 baskets share greens, which could cause a little traffic when the course is busy; other than that, there aren't really any cons to this course. Just try to stay out of the water.
Other Thoughts: The creek isn't very deep, but it is a pain in the you-know-what if you sink a disc into it. I'll try to post some pictures of the course, but I'm not sure how useful they'll be considering everything was white while we were playing. LOL

Much better than Cottonwood

5+    6/2/2005   1/3/2009
Review By: ddevine
Pros: Great variety of shots required, challenging OB creek comes into play on numerous holes, very scenic with shade in the summer. Very challenging back 9.
Cons: They nearly ruined the back 9 when the cut down numerous trees several years back. Some of the holes run very close to houses (back yard potential).
Other Thoughts: This course was never crowded when I visited several years back. My kids enjoyed this course as much as I did, and the cold creek water felt good on a hot day.

Wonderful Widefield....

9/13/2001   3/31/2008
Review By: weum107
Pros: Nice cement tees in a beautiful park. Great views, a cool creek to play around and lots of great trees. 18 holes with multiple pin placements and a good community of golfers on most days.
Cons: Can be very woody and a few yards can impede on your throws here and there, but nothing really bad at all. A gem.
Other Thoughts: Played in the Colorado State Championships here in 2000 or 2001 (can't remember which). I do recall that my play was poor that weekend, though. Not easy at all to get pro par (54) here, but i have emerged at or under 54 a few times, with a 50 being easily my best. That was one of those days where your shots are just rockin' and the chains keep ringin'. Usually get a 56 or so. Don't be fooled by the birdie hole on 1. It's a nice way to start each round, but the back 9 will typically eat you up and spit you out anyway. Highly recommended course....probably the best one i have played (yet). Check it out for sure!

Widefield - Great Course, Great People

5+    7/12/2009   3/12/2008
Review By: DG_Wizard
This review was updated on 8/4/2009
Pros: Really nice course overall. Not too hilly, but wooded. Nice elevation changes on a lot of holes. There is a strong disc golfing community here, so there are frequent tourneys and leagues. This is my brother's home course, and I played it a few times while on vacation. Very well maintained grounds, and a good lot of people to play with.
Cons: There are a couple of holes where pedestrians seem to get in the way, but not to a fault.
Other Thoughts: This course is a lot of fun, and I recommend getting in with the league crowd if in the area. My brother runs the weekly league here on Saturdays.

1 2 3 Next >