Vineland, NJ
Landis Park Share
Uploaded By: Tolbert Hole #1

1 2 Next >
 Locals sling rocs I meant rocks!

2-4    11/21/2009   4/7/2009
Review By: optidiscic
This review was updated on 11/23/2010
Pros: The tee signs that are left are true works of art....very descriptive and artistic rendering of each hole, maybe thats why 12 of them were stolen? Multiple tee options, if your brave enough to play more than one round!
Big old growth trees all over course that create canopy to throw under and several defined lanes to choose from. 18 holes which means something when in underseved Jersey. No undergrowth, schule, pickers, thorns or high weeds anywhere(you might be offered weed by a dealer however), impossible to lose disc here unless it gets stolen or flies into a street. There is a decent option 5-10 minutes away at South Vineland Park to look forward too.
The course itself is a nice place to air out drives and do some line shaping around beautiful old growth trees.
Cons: Excuse my negative sarcasm in my pros section, it is not my nature but I had to warn my disc golf brethren. First of all this is a city block park, meaning the park takes up an entire city block and is thus surrounded by noisy street and one hears constant hip-hop bass, honking and sirens throughout your round. There are no locals here except for a few bums, gangbangers and kids sadly trying to play little league in this squalor, don't trip over that 40 bottle. First time I ever putted into a basket where I almost broke a thunderbird bottle rather than a splash of chains. I arrived at hole #11 which is the signature throw off the pavillion and was met by a bunch of thugs slinging rocks, yes crystal rocks not KC rocs. I decided to not step on their turf and skipped that hole. I wasn't about to mess with their pit bull and the sea of red clothing made me realize this was not hippie disc golf territory. As I played, they tried to bait me, hey you suck white boy! Blaaaat! that shot wasn't close white boy! etc. etc. While this was a true challenge to focus throughout the back nine it was not the kind of challenge I think my disc golf brothers are searching for. I skipped hole 18 which played back at the pavillion and would have probably appeared as though I was throwing at them...was tempted but chose the safer route and hurried back to my jeep. Sadly enough several blue collar types with kids were asking me about the sport and were interested in what I was doing....I usually stay and chat, I think we are all ambassadors to the sport, but I just briefly spoke to them and rushed off before it got dark. I was concerned my jeep might be getting broken into. The only cons with the course itself are the total flatness, which does not bother me. There are several dangerous holes that have baskets situated next to busy street#1, or tee off facing busy streets. It is also hard to find the alternate tees.
Many complain that you can throw a hyzer on every hole but I found that often an anhyzer was a better option on many holes.
I think when I originally played the course the gang activity and being harassed didnt allow me to appreciate the course as much as I could have. I played it early AM for a tourney and it was a fun play. I think this is a course that suffers from circumstances beyond the locals control. I suppose I have had rounds ruined in more affluent locales just as much as this one.
Other Thoughts: This was a unique experience for me. I am not afraid of urban life, I just usually play disc golf as a means to get away from such environments. This was probably once a nice disc golf can see remnants of it's heyday. Sadly the neighborhood has decayed and the local disc golf scene must have fled to South Vineland Park about 5-10 minutes away.
Bottom line its a decent course that if played at the right time makes for a fun 18 hole round.

play South Vineland

1    1/24/2009   1/24/2009
Review By: valkyriefb11
This review was updated on 3/4/2009
Pros: Landis Park DGC is a simple straightforward disc golf course located in a small city park. All of the holes are pretty much open and grip & rip shots. The course makes large use of OB to mix things up on some of the holes and it is much needed. There isn't much variation to any of the holes except distance. There are three tees per hole which can add a different perspective to each hole
Cons: Landis Park doesn't have much going for it. The course looks like no one takes care of it. The natural tees need to be leveled, and it seemed like some were actually missing. The signs are mostly missing or very weather worn. The baskets are rusted and need a lot of TLC. Vandalism has really taken its toll at this course. The basket numbers are gone on most and since it is easy to see several baskets form any tee, teeing off to the wrong basket is a distinct possibility.
The course is surrounded on all sides by busy roads. Due to the close proximity of the holes to the roads sometimes you have to wait to tee off because of heavy traffic (an errant throw can hit a car). The park also seems home to a lot of local bums which detracts from the course.
Other Thoughts: With the nicest disc golf course in south Jersey only 5 minutes away at South Vineland Park there is no reason to play Landis Park. I like to play new course and so I don't regret playing this course once, but I would never go there again. Play two rounds at Vineland (whites & yellows) and you will enjoy it far more than the stress of playing at Landis Park.

The 18 to play is 2 miles down the road.

1    1/13/2009   1/14/2009
Review By: Tolbert
Pros: Its nice there's an 18 hole course here, in Jersey they are very hard to come by. (only 5 in the state I think) All drives from the tee needed accuracy, especially with the amount of OBs the course has. Using park features like the pavilion and ball fields was a good choice as it added some needed variety to the course.
Cons: With the exception of the #11 pavilion shot I was using the same drive the whole time and it got repetitive. Most of the tees were missing there signs, I assume do to vandalism. This made playing and navigation a bit difficult. From some tees you can see 2-3 baskets (some with numbers rusted off) so it took some figuring out as to which to throw at. Also tees are simply a board in the ground and some are hard to find with direction. A lucky guess landed me at tee #10 as it is a 200 yard walk from basket #9. (Go to other side of ball-field, tee 10 near road.) It seems that course upkeep here has been abandoned. Additionally most of the course played right near busy roads. One thing I really enjoy about playing is getting out into nature and away from everything, so teeing off next to honking cars and cops pulling people over was not appealing. At one point a giant street-cleaning sort of truck drove right down the fairway in front of me.
Other Thoughts: Playing a new course is fun, but I should have taken the advice some locals gave me- Skip Landis and just play 2 rounds at South Vineland Park.

A real dump

5/10/2008   5/11/2008
Review By: Godard
Pros: Lots of trees yet fairly open. Some decent decison-making with fair routes to each basket. 3 tees on every hole.
Cons: "New" blue tees are very hard to find. Signs missing on about half the holes. Baskets are rusting. Park looks like it hasn't been maintained for years. Grass and dirt is splotchy.
Other Thoughts: What should have been a signature hole, teeing off from a pavilion down to the canopied fairway below, was ruined by a drunk woman asking us for a dollar or some beer. There was no one else on the entire course except a few joggers passing through on a Saturday.

Bring the family

1/16/2008   1/16/2008
Review By: dancordle5360
Pros: Novice to Pro can appreciate the use of what little space was available. Take the time to bring your family to this park and find the blue tees for the kids, or bring a first timer for a great first time experience with disc golf.

Sublime use of large spaced out trees.

Fun course.
Cons: Roadways, multiple use park can be unsafe for bystanders. No real trouble off of fairways.
Other Thoughts: Use as a warm up for South Vineland Park.

Nothing Special

12/20/2007   12/24/2007
Review By: mactavius
Pros: It's a disc golf course in New Jersey.
Cons: No challenge. Predictable. Grass tees.
Other Thoughts: Straightforward course. Go to South Vineland Park instead for a rewarding disc golf experience.

1 2 Next >