Hot Springs, SD
Uploaded By: DGtourist Hole #5

SD State Parks/Rec Areas are Good

1    8/19/2012   8/20/2012
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: -Lots of elevation changes. Makes for tricky greens, tricky approaches and makes you choose safe and long or short and dangerous!
-Nice innova baskets
-Scorecards are among the best I've seen
-Beautiful scenery over the Angostura Reservoir
-Lots of other things to do in the Rec area
-Fairly long and challenging 9
-Lots of risk/reward shots.
-We saw a moose while playing. He was sitting past hole 2's basket. Also saw deer.
-Signage on holes and mowed paths make navigation pretty good.
-I really liked holes 2, 5, 6, and 9. 2 is the second longest and is over rolling hills with a slightly protected basket. 5 and 6 are the signature holes over the edge of the course. They have a lot of risk/reward and are fun. 9 is a great closer to this course.
Cons: -Some of the tees are bad, unlevel, rocky, etc. 9 was especially bad.
-The grass could get long and eat some discs
-The grass also contains cacti and critters. Watch your step.
-There aren't many trees but this course is beautiful and challenging in other ways.
Other Thoughts: This course is pay to play, like all SD State Parks and Rec areas. I would say it is worth buying the season pass if you travel around there often. 28 dollars for access to 12 courses. They are all decent and some are a lot of fun. I would recommend a stop here if you are ever in the Southern Hills area. This is my favorite 9 hole in the hills and is an excellent compliment to the other great area courses Pageant Hill in Custer, Jackson Park in Rapid, and Spearfish Canyon. Another note; this course could be very windy. Some say con, some say pro. Either way, I like this course.

Decent Course

1    6/11/2012   6/12/2012
Review By: Lwassner
Pros: Beautiful scenery
good layout
Cons: TERRIBLE TEE BOXES! The tees are unlevel, loose rocks, and very hard to use.
The wind makes this course very difficult to play.
Not many challenging shots
I lost a disc in the tall grass
Other Thoughts: Most the shots are just straight, only up and down hills. A few are really fun though just don't go on a windy day. definitely long pants and good shoes

Off the beaten path, but great scenery

1    6/18/2009   6/14/2010
Review By: dwsutton
Pros: Great scenery, as mentioned by other reviewer. Particularly nice on those holes that overlooked the lake. The course was a bit short, but some challenges. A windy day would make this really tough! Though the grass was a little long, I much prefer searching for discs in western prairie grasses than eastern poison ivy patches!
Cons: Out of the way location; cost to enter park; 9 holes. Cacti only a problem if you forget they're there.
Other Thoughts: Found a brand-new un-marked Valkyrie in the notch of a tree. Hard to be critical of a course that gave me my current driver! ;-)

Keep mowing it!

1    7/10/2008   11/26/2008
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: Very nice scenic natural setting next to the Angostura Reservoir. The people at the park entrance are very helpful ready to answer any question you can think of. They provide you with a map. The fairways are mowed and without it you may never locate your disc. They make good use of the elevation changes and in return you get some magnificent views. At one point you play a good 80 feet above the lake. I saw a deer on number two that bounded away before I could get my camera. A couple of interesting holes had you throwing over cliffs with narrow landing areas, which I found to be very fun. They do a good job guarding baskets in an otherwise open course. The parking lot is near restrooms and a picnic area. When I played I was the only person on the course.
Cons: The course is pretty wide open. Some cactus and critters make this a boots and pants course. I got turned around on number two. I consider myself apt at reading maps but this map was a challenge. My shoe strings picked up a ton of stickers, I was picking them out of my clothes for a few days.
Other Thoughts: I think this course looks exactly like the header on the DGcoursereview homepage but with a lake. I played in July just before sunset and I could not have asked for better conditions. I would diffidently love to play here again. This could be one of my favorite nine hole courses. It is somewhat in the middle of nowhere.