Rockford, IL
Hole #1

The West Side

1    10/3/2014   12/4/2014
Review By: MidwestZest
Pros: - Sprawling park setting with large mature trees as the main obstacles.
- Great location with 2 other courses. Ample parking, bathroom/shelter/playground facilities.
- Good concrete tee pads throughout the course.
- Baskets are fine, but older.
- Multiple pins on most holes. Doubt they're changed very often though, from the upkeep of the rest of the course.
- A variety of hole types, ranging from wide open and long to shorter.
- In general, some tight gaps that need to be hit from quite a few of the tees.
- Nice, rolling elevation on this course, used on quite a few holes. Very nice.
- #6 - Liked this pin placement, as the drive is in the open, but you need the shot to land on a certain side of a long row of trees that are guarding the pin. Very nice, obvious addition to this hole.
- #7 - I like this blind pin placement, even though I had to run up to see where the basket was. You feel like you need to throw a hearty 'S' shaped drive to get through the gap, but in fact the gap is 250 or 300' out there, so there's really no need. Just hit a landing zone. Nice hole shape.
- #15 - A nice L to R hole that curves all the way to the pin. Requires a strong RHFH or a huge, accurate RHBH anny.
- #17 - Narrow gaps to hit on a shorter, uphill hole. Accuracy is key.
Cons: - Pretty terrible signage. At least there's something, but the signs are plywood with crude pictograms wood-burned in. Most have the multiple pins listed with distances. There was also a bolt to indicate pin position in some signs but missing in many.
- Navigation wasn't always the easiest. Definitely needed the map in order to find my way in a couple places. (7-8, 10-11). Also used a map to decide which pin placement was in multiple times.
- I was not a huge fan of 10, 12, and 13. One, or maybe even two of these types of hole (if separated from each other on the course) are fine, but these are long holes for the sole purpose of being long. If you were looking for scoring spread between 300' driving players and 450' driving players, I guess you got it. No obstacles whatsoever on these holes. I understand everyone's preferences are different, but it felt boring to me.
Other Thoughts: - This course is just obviously pretty well neglected. I played this course first of the three, and I'm glad I did. I wasn't overly impressed, and I can only imagine how unimpressed I would have been if I had played it after one of the other courses.
- All sorts of potential here with better maps and navigation, but in the end this course is just for big arms, without a lot of technical requirements.
- Judging from previous reviews, I feel like the course has been neglected over the past few years, and has suffered. I was unfortunately disappointed with the course.

a close second

1    5/5/2013   5/5/2013
Review By: buggzbrown
Pros: -lots of technical shots but also a few holes to just launch off the pad

-nice sized course definitely will get some excersise

-nice park lots of shade
Cons: - the Signs are terrible.. i appreciate that someone took the time to hand make them but the lines are not very helpful and the distances are all way off

-BUSY the whole time we were there lots of waiting or letting people play through

- a couple holes next to road almost got my car hit while driving
Other Thoughts: Pretty decent course overall a fun time but i prefer the eastern course to this one

Long and lost

1    10/26/2009   11/5/2009
Review By: tomjulio
Pros: -cement tees
-new baskets
-a variety of natures elements
-long bomber holes
-the beauty of playing in majestic large trees
-technical pin placements..in some
-right across from Anna East
Cons: -poor flow
-blind holes that are 300+
-bad bad signage
-repetitive after the first holes
-long bomber holes with no rhyme or reason
Other Thoughts: Took the day to head down to the land of Bears and wind to play Anna Page East and West. A great park with two nice disc golf courses back to back and across a parking lot from each other. Started with Anna page East and moved on across the road. LUCKILY, and this is a huge luckily, we ran into the course maintainer who actually drew on the back of my Rhyno the course map for Anna west with a sharpie, pretty cool. This would become INVALUABLE! What a great guy who talked to us about his courses. If we didn't have a map I could only imagine the hell and frustration this course would have given us, because even with a map we had a bitch of a time.

The course is still in it's infancy with almost no signs except for a few hand written wood posts with numbers on them. No next of, no yardage, not much of anything...and unfortunately with the layout this course needs it badly. Even with the map we were given, finding the next tee, and even the basket we were shooting at become annoying and downright painful. We shot at the wrong basket MANY times. Unforgivable.

The course starts off in these majestic older trees in the rolling land. No real marked fairways, but the trees make up for it. This goes on for the first six or seven holes. 300+ being normal for all. I can't even recall one hole under 300'.

The course opens up, WAY too much, on the back nine. You literally are just chucking and throwing again to get to a basket on the other side of a huge grassy soggy field. I never get these, especially when they are back to back. Such a waste. This is where the ability to be shooting at the wrong basket can come into play...and who wants to walk 700'+ to find out if the basket you see is the right one?

You end up the course back in the trees where finding the last tees and the baskets took a toll on us. We just didn't want to play any more. This is one of the very few times that I have never finished a course. 16's basket is right by the parking lot (after we found it) and we just quit there. 17 and 18 looked super repetitive and created a mini loop at the end of holes that looked exactly like the tree holes in the beginning.

In summary: with Anna East and West being in such close proximity this is a great little park. Not so much a destination duo, but one that is worth a play. Anna East is by far my favorite of the two (I rate that one a solid 3.5). West is young and needs help, and unfortunately is no where above the 3 I rate it as.