Rockford, IL
Hole #5

Intermediate

1    6/25/2011   6/28/2011
Review By: notapro
Pros: - Course is set in a large, hilly, and wooded park that has lots of room. Aside from a pavilion and some other random stuff, it is pretty clear for disc golf. A few spots by the road at worst.
- About half of the holes are set in a hilly, wooded section that is chock full of tall trees. Good variety of lines here, a few left and right, and a bunch straight ahead. It's pretty tight in spots; not many places to find a local route. The elevation changes here are very prominent, with some uphills, downhills, valley shots, and some sloped greens.
- The other half is more out in the open, with many areas of deep, thick rough to contend with. Kicks off right with a long RHBH anny on #6 and a long uphill hyzer into the forest on #7. Long uphills and downhills out here, and lines of varying difficulty. Usually a tough finish, after some long driving.
- A good deal of challenge in many spots due to protected or tucked away baskets, in both the open and wooded spots. Shot placement can be very important, especially on the longer ones, to get a clear look at the pin.
- Wide range of hole lengths, with some shorter wooded shots (not that short), and some absolute bomber shots with strategy involved. Both uphill and downhill to add challenge and fun on the longer ones too.
- Great pads, signage, and baskets. Signs showed correct pin placement, which was a huge bonus. Flow was good, went forest-open-forest.
Cons: - While the terrain is awesome for discing, it is pretty much evenly divided between the two sides. This means that there is basically only two types of holes here. The shots themselves are only somewhat similar, but the feel remains constant.
- No water, the only real hazards are some thick patches of rough/forest.
Other Thoughts: - Not many cons here! I thoroughly enjoyed this course, very few easy/throwaway holes and lots of different challenges. Holes of varying difficulty, from fun to tight to tough to brutal. A lot of open air, but the elevation still keeps it fresh, and it's well balanced with some tough pin placements. I would think everyone would enjoy this one, if ya don't mind a little length.

What a round...!

2-4    5/30/2011   6/1/2011
Review By: chillis
Pros: -Fantastic difficulty. First set of holes winding through the large trees, with the next 4 or 5 that area wide open demanding distance and accuracy to par. These sections are separated by a nasty & magnificent hole #7.
-Beautiful, mature trees all around, provides lots of shade and dynamic lighting effects when you're traversing the area.
-Elevation change, and using the ravines to supplement the course layout is evident! Most, if not all of the wooded holes have good elevation change.
-Good variety throughout the course. Some of the shots in the wooded areas seem similar, where you're beaming 350+ footers toward the pin. These holes still provide a challenge and are very enjoyable.
-More testament to the variety: I used all but one disc in my tourney bag on this course. (Sure, I would've made do with 8-10 discs)
-More shade on the West side than East (well, at least the local we played with made this assertion).
-Love the 750ft and 600+. Great challenge to par.
Cons: -Some of the wooded holes feel repetitive. They're straight-ish layouts between 350-400ft. They demand accuracy and power, no doubt, but there's 8 or 9 of these holes.
-Poison ivy is all over Anna Page(East & West).
-BUGs were HUNGRY!!

Other than those issues, this course has very few negatives.
Other Thoughts: What an awesome park! With another 18 holes currently in planning, Anna Page could rival the best that Illinois has to offer. In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to find an area with two 4-star courses situated right next to each other in this state (Joliet or Peoria, maybe?!)

There are now downed oak trees littered throughout the West course. What a tremendous loss! The local who joined us for the round told us a couple of massive windstorms came through this area, and pulled down 20-30 trees, splitting branches on others. The (obvious) negatives are plenty of holes are affected by this, some with downed trees now altering the line you must take to reach the pin. On the bright side, these downed trees add to the difficulty, which I like.

My crew of 6 were debating between Mokena/Highland Park and Anna Page, looking back at our decision I'm glad we chose Rockford for our Memorial Day discing adventure!

Play here!

Heavily oaked course and some long holes.

1    11/1/2009   11/4/2009
This review was updated on 11/25/2009
Pros: 1) The best baskets I have ever played on. 24 chain baskets really do catch well and these were in great condition.

2) Nice large concrete pads are always a plus to any course. They are kind of expected, so this doesnt get them bonus points, but it will not take away from their score.

3) Challenge on this course is brough mainly by the massive sprawling oak trees. They have a lot of lateral limbs that you need to avoid and definitely give you a top ceiling you need to play underneath.

4) Some of the holes have recently had some new basket positions installed as it was obvious there was fresh soil around the baskets. I love it when course get better by adding new basket locations to change the courses up a bit from time to time.

5) This course really makes you work for birdies, which I enjoy even though i didnt get to make a single one all day. I like that the baskets are not easily reachable. They provide a challenge for you on every hole and it is up to you to execute.

6) Gently rolling hills come into play on quite a few holes. There is a little more dramatic elevation change on this course compared to the east, and when you factor in those holes are set amongst the tough sprawling oaks, it makes the elevation and importance of shot selection (mainly height of throw) even more pronounced.

7) Overall the variety on this course is good. It includes the elevation changes, holes going around corners to the left and to the right. long open ripper holes and some tighter technical shots. All in all this was an enjoyable course.
Cons: 1) Tee signs were homemade and some of them were not even readable. There were a couple missing completely. EDIT: APPARENTLY NEW SIGNS WERE RECENTLY INSTALLED. I WILL EDIT WHEN I SEE THEM.

2) On occassion the layout was hard to follow. There were no directional signs telling you where to go (at least I didnt see any). I walked to the wrong teepad 2-3 times and even skipped hole #11 and ended up playing it after hole #16 when I realize my error.

3) The distances on many of the holes seemed inaccurate . . . this may have to do with new basket locations so forgive me if this is a negative, but you would think that if they moved the basket they could easily sharpie the new distance on the homemade signs at the same time!

4) The basket for #15 is actually across #16 fairway. There really is no need fo rthis as the basket could easily be tucked up the hill further towards #18 basket to avoid the fairway on the next hole. This has got to cause a logjam in tourneys and busy days.

5) Holes #10 and #12 irked me a little bit. They were boring wide open and long. For the beginner or someone who does not have a massive arm, these holes will end up hurting your arm trying to throw as hard as you can 2-3 times to get to the basket. It is nice to include some longer holes into the layout, but make sure that they incorporate some interesting shots too in my opinion. These were fairly simply throw as hard as you can holes.

6) Leaves are tough in the fall and as I said in the East review this doesnt take away from the course rating, but it is worth mentioning. What trees provide an incredible course, also provide a headache for finding discs in the fall.

7) Not very beginner friendly because of how difficult some of the wooded holes are and also the length on most of the course is longer than your average course, but it obviously wasn't designed for beginners so I cannot hold this against the course too strongly.
Other Thoughts: I had a real hard time differentiating between the two courses quality. I think they both offer a lot of great holes. I like the heavily oaked holes on this course a lot, but the long wide open holes kindof irked my overall impression of this course. I still think there is enough for this course to be a 4 disc course in my book, but I feel like I enjoyed the East course just a little bit more. it had a consistent design, it flowed from hole to hole a little better, and overall just felt like a better designed course to me.

I really did enjoy my morning here to play both courses and wil; definitely be back again sometime. Hopefully I will get to play some of the different basket locations on both courses. I look forward to coming down for a tourney here sometime too as I think it would be a great course to play a tourney.

The arm snapper.

1    10/11/2009   10/12/2009
Review By: TheWCG
Pros: A lot of challenging pin placements. Many route options through the trees. Nice, well maintained course overall. Some elevation change to spice it up.
Cons: All holes were played par 4's. A constant huck fest with not much deuce potential. A lot of walking period... Both courses are EXTREMELY difficult to navigate if you don't understand what the heck they are doing with the pin placement(more info on DG Course Review). Alternate pins are switched with no warning on the course(East Course). It really screwed my game up.
Other Thoughts: On the West course they changed all the pin placements from the original. A lot more difficult. Thankfully we ran into one of the locals with a Ford pickup selling the most discs I have ever seen(Sorry I Forgot your name) informing us on where the NEW pin placement were with a map he had available. Otherwise I would Have been lost and pissed. Course NEEDS to be marked better! All in all Im glad I played it.

The wooded page

1    5/28/2009   6/22/2009
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a very large park with some open area, some areas with scattered mature trees, and some wooded areas. The course plays through all of these, and offers many different kinds of holes. Most holes offer some sort of elevation change, and the hills are used well to add interest and challenge to many of the holes.

This course has a great variety of holes that do a great job of using the various terrains available. You'll use every kind of shot you have if you want to score well here, from short touch shots through the woods to long bombs out in the open. I really enjoyed getting to play tight wooded fairways and more open holes on the same course, and the variety really made the course more fun.

The tee pads were nice concrete pads on the long tees, and were in good shape. The signs that were still there were nice handmade wooden signs. Most of the holes have lots of lines to the hole, which all offer different levels of risk/reward. I enjoyed all the thinking this course made me do.
Cons: The biggest issue on this course is the lack of signage and resulting navigation issues. I don't like having to wander around to find the next tee or basket, and a lot of that was required here. Many of the signs were missing, and so it wasn't always clear whether you were on the correct hole. There were also a few places where it was too easy to skip holes. This is the biggest issue preventing a higher rating on this course.

The course supposedly had short tees, but we didn't find many, and they weren't very nice to tee off from. I wouldn't recommend spending time looking for them, just play the concrete long tees.
Other Thoughts: This is a fairly tough course that would be frustrating for many beginners. There are lots of challenging holes, and lots of variety, so most experienced players will have a good time here. This side of Anna Page is the more technical and challenging of the two, and offers much more variety.

With two nice courses here, it's worth driving out of your way to play here. Definitely play both courses if you have time, the more open east course makes a nice warm up for the tougher west course. If you can only play one, I'd say play the west course if you're up for a challenge.

A- = Almost As Good As It Gets

1    5/20/2009   5/25/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution -- B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max -- A-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A-
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- N/A

Anna Page, part deux

5+    8/1/2008   11/9/2008
Review By: Tripod2
Pros: Bring your A game! This one will test just about every facet of your game!! There is a wonderful mix of shots for both lefties and righties. There are open shots, clear shots, and near-clear shots that should all make you stop and think about your next shot.

Anna Page East is just across the road. Please play that one first.....you might need the confidence boost.

There are some decent elevational hazards on this one that makes thing rather interesting. #4 will force you to throw uphill and 5 has an awful "downhill roll" threat as you approach the basket. Hole #17 makes you pay the valley/dip (can't think of the proper term for it!) that's in the middle of the hole before it turns upward, which is where the basket is. I'm not accustomed to many elevation changes, so I find this very challenging and interesting.

There is a 600' hole that is jaw-droppingly
wide open....until you get towards the basket. It sits pretty close to a pine tree that, if your approach is not long or straight enough, will make you (double, triple, quadruple, etc.) bogie. Nice pin placement on this one!
Cons: This course was closed for quite some time during the summer for construction. Unfortunately, the construction did not include the replacement of the multiple signs that are either missing or in total disrepair. That leads to major confusion.

For example, I had missed 2 holes on this course for years because I was unaware of their existence.......and so were the locals who had brought me there. They had long written off the 2 holes after the 600' beast as "gone". Alas, they were there, within plain sight, but the signs were missing.......

Signage is important. The signs on this course need to match the signs on the Eastern course. That would make things less confusing.
Other Thoughts: Anna Page is a quality day out for any and all disc golfers. The two courses offer enough variety and gameplay to challenge just about anyone.

When you get hungry or your cooler goes dry or empty, civilization is just a few miles east, and there is a Wal-Mart! It is realistic to think that you can hang out at this park all day.

A tale of two courses

7/21/2008   7/21/2008
Review By: -HUC-
Pros: Anna Page West is the more professional of the two courses. It is tight and technical with holes that stress shot selection and execution.
It offers a lot of challenges but is still a lot of fun.

The park is very well maintained and has fantastic facilities near the parking lot including grills, bathrooms, water, and a field to practice in. The course is very well groomed and the gateway baskets there are probably the best I have played. Despite what it say in the course description all the tees are now concrete. The course is very easy to follow and it is difficult to lose discs even when you go into the schule. The course is easy to follow as you can usually see where you are teeing off next or there is a defined path to the next hole.

The course and hole design are fantastic. It starts and ends in the woods. There are holes that skirt the woods and then there are some long and open holes. The woods are tight and technical stressing hitting your line with a relatively low ceiling. There is almost always a good route to take and there is good lefty and righty balance. Most of the elevation change happens on the woodsy holes. The more open holes usually are well thought out with a well guarded basket. They typically will either have well placed trees that will limit the height you can choose for your line. On about half the holes there is well thought out risk reward with the opportunity to push for a bird or take a relatively easy three. There are a couple of par fours here as well.
Cons: The course has undergone some recent changes with the new tee pads and there is still some damage left from the old grass teeing areas. There aren't tee signs on every hole yet which can leave you guessing on distance. The one on 14 incorrectly says it is hole 13. Some are falling apart and could use an update. Some of the signs show am teeing areas that are not marked. There is only one set of pin placements and visually, the course has a clean but not very compelling look.

It is difficult to get to Anna Page. It is on the extreme north west corner of Rockford and it usually takes at least 20-30 minutes to get to from the interstate. Also, I could see that there could be people who could mistake the open holes as multiuse space.
Other Thoughts: With two courses in one park Anna page is a good place to visit even if it is out of your way. The West course is the best course in the park hands down. I find this course very fun and has a lot of variety. It seems like the park service gave them more space and let them do what they wanted with this one. I am concerned that it could face the same problems with erosion the the East course has in the future, but right now it looks great.

Great Course

- Easy to navigate
- Much improved tee signs
- Hardly any litter
- Garbage Cans
- Good amount of benches but poorly spaced
- Requires accurate shot placement
- Good mix of tight and open fairways
- Different wind directions really change the course. sometimes the wind is different at the tee and pin.
Cons: -Redesign removed some of the technical aspect of the course and turned it into distance (technical is preferred over distance, technical and long now thats good golf)
- Pin markers are always nice
- Some of the new alt pin are lame and some are really good.
- Equestrians are always a P.I.T.A. and think they have the right of way. They don't, multiple signs throughout both courses say "disc golfers have right of way"
- Although it hasn't happened to me personally i've seen peoples disc and feet go in horse poop
- Picnickers are sometimes in the way but usually are more than glad to move.
Other Thoughts: I'm not really a big fan of the changes that were made in the new layout. The 2 competely new holes are essentially pure distance shots and removed the more technical aspect of the course. I did think that those last 4 were short and easily dueced but they were fun and techincal. they should have remained as technical but longer.
Favorite Hole #14 (i think) - This is a long, right-curving shot down a fairway that slowly becomes a smaller and smaller tunnel. You can not see the basket from the teepad and the visible fairway appears to be slopping gentle down. The basket is actually slight above the teepad and is protected by a low-hanging ceiling. Half way down the fairway it starts to slowly work its way back up in elevation and seems to play up an old draw, so there is a gentle winding "valley" up towards the basket. (I use the term valley loosely, only to describe the shape not the size.) Taking a 2 is very rewarding.
Best Designed Hole #7- hands down. Only way to make good attempts at a 2 is to have a pretty good arm (400+) and be able to put a long high hyzer up there to get into the green area. The picture doesn't do it any justice. The basket is higher in elevation and is well protected by the trees and low ceiling.

Anna Page Park West

2/26/2008   2/26/2008
Review By: Dahminator
Pros: Awesome course here. Comparable to Plamann (in Appleton, WI) in that it has some nice longer holes including the 600 footer. Variety of elevation and terrain, highly recommended.
Cons: As a first timer, it was a bit confusing as to the layout of the course (I didn't know there were two courses at first).