Rockford, IL
Hole #17

one of two good 18 hole layouts

2-4    8/25/2009   1/5/2010
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: New tee signs are done; awaiting installation in early 2010.
New set of long pin placements; making three pin spots on most holes.
Greens on pin placements have recently been mulched and or fixed up.
Nice tees.
This, and East, IMO will be found challenging to all level of players. Despite only having one set of tees; different challenges are offered. i.e. There is plenty to hit if you're a long arm....you must choose your shot and hit it...and hit some putts to "run with the big dogs." For lesser arms; the pure footage of this course, in addition to the lines required, will test every bit of your upshot/putting ability. (Note that the yardage for this course is not correct; as of 1-5-09. I don't think it was correct; even for the older set of pins; but now they have added an even longer/tougher set.)
Large, stately trees. West is more "tree" orientated; while East has more of a "bush" feel to it.
Quality water available from "bubbler", near bathrooms; at end of main lot.
Cons: To me; (I throw 340 max; and usually am solid more around 290 ft), this course is "somewhat boring." There is a lot of grip it and rip it here; which is why I believe high level players will find it to be a decent quality course. Back nine kind of plain (we'll see whether or not the new pin placements make this better?)
I do end up enjoying it from the stand point of, by footage alone; I must not make many mistakes; to hang around par. You're not deuceing many of these holes; unless you consistently throw well over 300 foot.
I hope the new tee signs; and hopefully, next tee signs; will be nice and in the ground; early in 2010. Up until this point, both Anna East and West have been rather tough to navigate. If this gets taken care of; the major draw back for both of these will be resolved.
No alcohol allowed here. There are stories of someone who drives around the course in a golf cart type of vehicle, enforcing said law and issues fines. I, personally, have not seen this, in numerous trips here; but, be discrete; and I definitely would not suggest standing in the parking lot with alcoholic beverages.
Other Thoughts: I originally played parts of this design; more than 15 years ago. In 2004; this course was added on a permanent basis, and is a fine compliment to Anna East. This course is more of a big arm course, with a more stately feel. As with my rating for East; I love this course enough to give it a 4 rating; but compared to the "very best in Illinois"; it doesn't quite make it to four.
Sinnissippi Park, in Sterling, is a bit of a haul from here; Anna East and West; combined with Sinnissippi; will give you the opportunity to play three courses; that were some of the very best in late 80s, early 90s design. They all still hold up very well; and this one has been continually upgraded in an attempt to keep high quality in terms of the most modern design. I am looking forward to playing in 2010; to see the new long, pin placements; and new signage.

Long and lost

1    10/26/2009   11/5/2009
Review By: tomjulio
Pros: -cement tees
-new baskets
-a variety of natures elements
-long bomber holes
-the beauty of playing in majestic large trees
-technical pin placements..in some
-right across from Anna East
Cons: -poor flow
-blind holes that are 300+
-bad bad signage
-repetitive after the first holes
-long bomber holes with no rhyme or reason
Other Thoughts: Took the day to head down to the land of Bears and wind to play Anna Page East and West. A great park with two nice disc golf courses back to back and across a parking lot from each other. Started with Anna page East and moved on across the road. LUCKILY, and this is a huge luckily, we ran into the course maintainer who actually drew on the back of my Rhyno the course map for Anna west with a sharpie, pretty cool. This would become INVALUABLE! What a great guy who talked to us about his courses. If we didn't have a map I could only imagine the hell and frustration this course would have given us, because even with a map we had a bitch of a time.

The course is still in it's infancy with almost no signs except for a few hand written wood posts with numbers on them. No next of, no yardage, not much of anything...and unfortunately with the layout this course needs it badly. Even with the map we were given, finding the next tee, and even the basket we were shooting at become annoying and downright painful. We shot at the wrong basket MANY times. Unforgivable.

The course starts off in these majestic older trees in the rolling land. No real marked fairways, but the trees make up for it. This goes on for the first six or seven holes. 300+ being normal for all. I can't even recall one hole under 300'.

The course opens up, WAY too much, on the back nine. You literally are just chucking and throwing again to get to a basket on the other side of a huge grassy soggy field. I never get these, especially when they are back to back. Such a waste. This is where the ability to be shooting at the wrong basket can come into play...and who wants to walk 700'+ to find out if the basket you see is the right one?

You end up the course back in the trees where finding the last tees and the baskets took a toll on us. We just didn't want to play any more. This is one of the very few times that I have never finished a course. 16's basket is right by the parking lot (after we found it) and we just quit there. 17 and 18 looked super repetitive and created a mini loop at the end of holes that looked exactly like the tree holes in the beginning.

In summary: with Anna East and West being in such close proximity this is a great little park. Not so much a destination duo, but one that is worth a play. Anna East is by far my favorite of the two (I rate that one a solid 3.5). West is young and needs help, and unfortunately is no where above the 3 I rate it as.

Heavily oaked course and some long holes.

1    11/1/2009   11/4/2009
This review was updated on 11/25/2009
Pros: 1) The best baskets I have ever played on. 24 chain baskets really do catch well and these were in great condition.

2) Nice large concrete pads are always a plus to any course. They are kind of expected, so this doesnt get them bonus points, but it will not take away from their score.

3) Challenge on this course is brough mainly by the massive sprawling oak trees. They have a lot of lateral limbs that you need to avoid and definitely give you a top ceiling you need to play underneath.

4) Some of the holes have recently had some new basket positions installed as it was obvious there was fresh soil around the baskets. I love it when course get better by adding new basket locations to change the courses up a bit from time to time.

5) This course really makes you work for birdies, which I enjoy even though i didnt get to make a single one all day. I like that the baskets are not easily reachable. They provide a challenge for you on every hole and it is up to you to execute.

6) Gently rolling hills come into play on quite a few holes. There is a little more dramatic elevation change on this course compared to the east, and when you factor in those holes are set amongst the tough sprawling oaks, it makes the elevation and importance of shot selection (mainly height of throw) even more pronounced.

7) Overall the variety on this course is good. It includes the elevation changes, holes going around corners to the left and to the right. long open ripper holes and some tighter technical shots. All in all this was an enjoyable course.
Cons: 1) Tee signs were homemade and some of them were not even readable. There were a couple missing completely. EDIT: APPARENTLY NEW SIGNS WERE RECENTLY INSTALLED. I WILL EDIT WHEN I SEE THEM.

2) On occassion the layout was hard to follow. There were no directional signs telling you where to go (at least I didnt see any). I walked to the wrong teepad 2-3 times and even skipped hole #11 and ended up playing it after hole #16 when I realize my error.

3) The distances on many of the holes seemed inaccurate . . . this may have to do with new basket locations so forgive me if this is a negative, but you would think that if they moved the basket they could easily sharpie the new distance on the homemade signs at the same time!

4) The basket for #15 is actually across #16 fairway. There really is no need fo rthis as the basket could easily be tucked up the hill further towards #18 basket to avoid the fairway on the next hole. This has got to cause a logjam in tourneys and busy days.

5) Holes #10 and #12 irked me a little bit. They were boring wide open and long. For the beginner or someone who does not have a massive arm, these holes will end up hurting your arm trying to throw as hard as you can 2-3 times to get to the basket. It is nice to include some longer holes into the layout, but make sure that they incorporate some interesting shots too in my opinion. These were fairly simply throw as hard as you can holes.

6) Leaves are tough in the fall and as I said in the East review this doesnt take away from the course rating, but it is worth mentioning. What trees provide an incredible course, also provide a headache for finding discs in the fall.

7) Not very beginner friendly because of how difficult some of the wooded holes are and also the length on most of the course is longer than your average course, but it obviously wasn't designed for beginners so I cannot hold this against the course too strongly.
Other Thoughts: I had a real hard time differentiating between the two courses quality. I think they both offer a lot of great holes. I like the heavily oaked holes on this course a lot, but the long wide open holes kindof irked my overall impression of this course. I still think there is enough for this course to be a 4 disc course in my book, but I feel like I enjoyed the East course just a little bit more. it had a consistent design, it flowed from hole to hole a little better, and overall just felt like a better designed course to me.

I really did enjoy my morning here to play both courses and wil; definitely be back again sometime. Hopefully I will get to play some of the different basket locations on both courses. I look forward to coming down for a tourney here sometime too as I think it would be a great course to play a tourney.

The arm snapper.

1    10/11/2009   10/12/2009
Review By: TheWCG
Pros: A lot of challenging pin placements. Many route options through the trees. Nice, well maintained course overall. Some elevation change to spice it up.
Cons: All holes were played par 4's. A constant huck fest with not much deuce potential. A lot of walking period... Both courses are EXTREMELY difficult to navigate if you don't understand what the heck they are doing with the pin placement(more info on DG Course Review). Alternate pins are switched with no warning on the course(East Course). It really screwed my game up.
Other Thoughts: On the West course they changed all the pin placements from the original. A lot more difficult. Thankfully we ran into one of the locals with a Ford pickup selling the most discs I have ever seen(Sorry I Forgot your name) informing us on where the NEW pin placement were with a map he had available. Otherwise I would Have been lost and pissed. Course NEEDS to be marked better! All in all Im glad I played it.

Fun course

5+    8/20/2009   8/20/2009
Review By: Michler
Pros: This is a pretty good course with a variety of shots required (rollers, anhyzer, hyzer, straight through trees, big hyzers over the top, etc..). A variety of distances with a couple par 4's. Most of the par 3's require an excellent shot to card your birdie and potential for bogey if you hit early. Fun to play with decent Gateway baskets and good cement tees!
Cons: Pretty flat. With the land available, a few more par 4's could have been thrown in to create more of a challenge relative to the neighboring course. Some of the par 3's could definitely have been lengthened a bit as well.
Other Thoughts: There is no hole on this course that I'd really consider a 'bad hole'. All provide a challenge to birdie with many potential bogeys.

The wooded page

1    5/28/2009   6/22/2009
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a very large park with some open area, some areas with scattered mature trees, and some wooded areas. The course plays through all of these, and offers many different kinds of holes. Most holes offer some sort of elevation change, and the hills are used well to add interest and challenge to many of the holes.

This course has a great variety of holes that do a great job of using the various terrains available. You'll use every kind of shot you have if you want to score well here, from short touch shots through the woods to long bombs out in the open. I really enjoyed getting to play tight wooded fairways and more open holes on the same course, and the variety really made the course more fun.

The tee pads were nice concrete pads on the long tees, and were in good shape. The signs that were still there were nice handmade wooden signs. Most of the holes have lots of lines to the hole, which all offer different levels of risk/reward. I enjoyed all the thinking this course made me do.
Cons: The biggest issue on this course is the lack of signage and resulting navigation issues. I don't like having to wander around to find the next tee or basket, and a lot of that was required here. Many of the signs were missing, and so it wasn't always clear whether you were on the correct hole. There were also a few places where it was too easy to skip holes. This is the biggest issue preventing a higher rating on this course.

The course supposedly had short tees, but we didn't find many, and they weren't very nice to tee off from. I wouldn't recommend spending time looking for them, just play the concrete long tees.
Other Thoughts: This is a fairly tough course that would be frustrating for many beginners. There are lots of challenging holes, and lots of variety, so most experienced players will have a good time here. This side of Anna Page is the more technical and challenging of the two, and offers much more variety.

With two nice courses here, it's worth driving out of your way to play here. Definitely play both courses if you have time, the more open east course makes a nice warm up for the tougher west course. If you can only play one, I'd say play the west course if you're up for a challenge.

A- = Almost As Good As It Gets

1    5/20/2009   5/25/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution -- B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max -- A-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A-
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- N/A

Pretty nice course

1    5/17/2009   5/17/2009
Review By: krc1130
Pros: Concrete tees on all holes is nice. Very good elevation changes for the area, with lots of trees as obstacles. There was a nice mix of wooded holes and wide open holes, and the distance was pretty fair. Some longer holes, but overall, great balance
Cons: The course was fairly easy to follow at first, despite missing and broken hole signs. Toward the end, it was very difficult to make sense of what holes we were playing. It seems that many of the signs were posted on the wrong holes.
Other Thoughts: This was a nice course, and I definitely had a good time playing it. My only gripe are the signs, which were broken, non-existent, or on the wrong hole. If they could correct those with signs like they have on Anna Page East, then the course would be much more pleasant. As is, it's good for 18 holes, though it's not a spectacular course. Considering the two courses are right next to each other, it's worth going out of your way to check out the Anna Page courses.

Long Bomber Course Done Right

2-4    4/17/2009   4/18/2009
Review By: Texconsinite
This review was updated on 5/25/2009
Pros: This course plays through a diverse collection of hills dotted with a maze of scattered mature trees, some wooded areas, and a large open field. Terrain is in play on almost every hole, and every hole has ways of punishing bad shots.

This course will stretch your drives and give you plenty of opportunities to really unleash it, but it also punishes mistakes. It demands both distance, but it rewards shot placement. This is not a tightly wooded, highly technical finesse course like UW-Parkside. This is longer and more open, but still technical in its own right.

For me, the key to this course is long, controlled drives. The scattered trees give choices of lines, but to score well you will still need to pick which gap you want to thread. This course is challenging but fair. You can get tons of birdies here, but it'll take a pretty well placed drive, and probably a longer putt. This course doesnt give freebies. The abundance of terrain, and thus hillside pins, means that risk/reward is always a fact, even on putts.

Generally, I prefer tightly wooded, technical courses over longer, more open ones, but this course is quite well-done. It constricts your shots in many different ways: doglegs, low overhanging tree branch, narrow gap between two trees, even one perfect hyzer line thru a tree avenue to an opposing hilltop that a lone tree branch very effectively shuts down, forcing a straight shot that hugs the right side of the fairway and breaks right very late to get a possible birdie.

The wide open field holes on this course keep it interesting as well. The 600 ft hole has thre trees along the fairway to the left, and a line of shule to the right, ready to punish errant drives.

This course, IMO, is just the right level of difficulty. You have to drive fairly well and have good mid-game to get par, and birdies are very attainable if you can weave a long drive through the trees, but any hole on this course can trip you up for a stroke or two if you really fudge it up. The par 4's and par 5 are tough, and deserve their higher par, but birdies are possible here to. This course is a nice balance between distance and accuracy, with lots of cool holes that will keep you on your toes.

I feel like my distance increased after a day of playing both these two courses, because I got so many chances to just let it fly, versus teeing off with midranges on on every other hole like on some other courses. See for yourself if these two don't help your game in a similar fashion.
Cons: Signage.
Pieces of particleboard have been elaborately painted with hole maps and distances and affixed to posts by every (long) tee, which would be great if anything but particleboard had been used. As it is, the signs on holes 4, 6, 7, 16 and 17 have disintegrated, through natural or other means, leaving bare posts. Holes 12 and 13, the 2 holes in the open field next to 600+ ft Hole 11, do not even have posts next to the tee, for whatever reason, and thus no signs either. Consequently, many people accidentally skip those two holes.

In fact, there are a few areas on this course where its easy skip a hole or two without realizing it. In particular, the transition from hole 7 to hole 8 is an easy one to miss. From basket 7, follow the path through the woods to your right. You'll see holes 2 and 3 in front of you, but Tee 8 is to your left.

A few holes have "short tees" displayed on the tee signs, which are dirt pads not marked in any way (except 3 short, marked with a wooden pole) so don't bother looking for them. It takes too much effort to figure out their approximate location, which usually isn't even a flat area, and since only about 7 holes have short tees, its really not worth it anyways.

Though usually you can see the basket form the tee, or at least see where the fairway goes, the thing that would benefit this course the most is signs directing you to the next tee, to help newbies out.

I almost wanted to rate this course as merely "good" due to the signage issues and the virtually nonexistant short tees, but as it stands, its still a very entertaining and reasonably challenging course with lots of terrain, which is just fine with only one set of tees. Also, from what I gathered, the locals are figuring out what kind of signage will stay in place before they replace anything that's already been broken, so hopefully people will respect the course and the signs will get better sooner rather than later.
Other Thoughts: This park is huge, and apparently they are in the process of designing a third course, "South" in this park, to be opened at some point in the future. When I asked Bear, one of the local players, what it would be like, he told me West would be just a warmup for South, meaning a much longer, championship course. If the new course is as fun and well-designed as West, with great signage like East, there is no doubt in my mind it will be an Excellent course, but only time will tell. In the meantime, enjoy this course. The more people that play here, the more reason to build a third course, so check this place out if you're in the area.

With a third course in this park, it would really make things interesting, like a stairstep from East to West to South. Also, its so unusual to have more than 36 holes on a free public course, that this spot is worth checking out for that reason alone.

If you get tired of your discs hitting trees on West, head over to East for a break. If its your first time playing here, I would suggest warming up at East before playing this course. Since West has more terrain, trees, and distance than East, it will ease you into it, and you'll appreciate the superior course design of West that much more. I agree with previous posters, you will love one and hate the other. After my initial "warm-up" round on East, I stayed on West the rest of the day. I like West. East, not so much.

Anna Page, part deux

5+    8/1/2008   11/9/2008
Review By: Tripod2
Pros: Bring your A game! This one will test just about every facet of your game!! There is a wonderful mix of shots for both lefties and righties. There are open shots, clear shots, and near-clear shots that should all make you stop and think about your next shot.

Anna Page East is just across the road. Please play that one first.....you might need the confidence boost.

There are some decent elevational hazards on this one that makes thing rather interesting. #4 will force you to throw uphill and 5 has an awful "downhill roll" threat as you approach the basket. Hole #17 makes you pay the valley/dip (can't think of the proper term for it!) that's in the middle of the hole before it turns upward, which is where the basket is. I'm not accustomed to many elevation changes, so I find this very challenging and interesting.

There is a 600' hole that is jaw-droppingly
wide open....until you get towards the basket. It sits pretty close to a pine tree that, if your approach is not long or straight enough, will make you (double, triple, quadruple, etc.) bogie. Nice pin placement on this one!
Cons: This course was closed for quite some time during the summer for construction. Unfortunately, the construction did not include the replacement of the multiple signs that are either missing or in total disrepair. That leads to major confusion.

For example, I had missed 2 holes on this course for years because I was unaware of their existence.......and so were the locals who had brought me there. They had long written off the 2 holes after the 600' beast as "gone". Alas, they were there, within plain sight, but the signs were missing.......

Signage is important. The signs on this course need to match the signs on the Eastern course. That would make things less confusing.
Other Thoughts: Anna Page is a quality day out for any and all disc golfers. The two courses offer enough variety and gameplay to challenge just about anyone.

When you get hungry or your cooler goes dry or empty, civilization is just a few miles east, and there is a Wal-Mart! It is realistic to think that you can hang out at this park all day.