Rockford, IL
Hole #18

West Side

1    3/12/2011   3/12/2011
Review By: ElementZ
Pros: This course plays through a nice, hilly park with trees coming into play on most of the holes.
What I liked most about this course is the great mix of shots. There's a 3 or 4 hole stretch where you just get to crush plastic as the distances are all over 350 feet. There's also memorable dog leg lefts and rights which made it a really fair playing field for left hand vs. right hand. I throw primarily forehand and my two friends throw primarily backhand and we all ended up with scores within a stroke of each other. Other courses I've played definitely tend to favor RHBH throwers by giving huge hyzer lines and leaving me with tricky turnover drives.
I really feel as though the designer of this course utilized the land very well and the pin placements were spot on.
Cons: While this was a really fun course to play, I don't think it has the signature holes that really wow'd me.
I also felt like navigation would be an issue when in the summer. When I played here a few days ago, there was still snow on the ground and there were footsteps that lead the way to the next tee, which really facilitated everything.
Other Thoughts: It's a shame that I didn't get to play the other half of Anna Page, but from the looks of it, it looked like it was about the same caliber as this half. If I'm in the area again, I would definitely check out what the East side has to offer. :)

5+    10/24/2010   2/24/2011
Review By: Dahlemj24
Pros: I love playing through the oak ravine. It adds so much variety to your shots and challenges you to hit just the right line. This is also the side that typically isn't as busy as the East side because it is more challenging.
Cons: I really don't have any con's for this side. Some tee signs could be better, but that's about it.

New Signs make all the difference!!

2-4    6/4/2010   6/11/2010
Review By: bisket1978
Pros: There are many elevation changes on this course which only adds to this challenging, mostly wooded beauty of a course. Concrete tee pads.
NEW SIGNS!! This course was next to impossible without the addition of these new signs, which someone took the painstaking time to make. They are wood-burned, hand-crafted signs. Thank you to whomever made, and placed them!! There are some great distance holes now, with open, slightly elevated tees, you can grab some decent distance.
Cons: Not too many cons here. Gets some heavy traffic, especially on weekends. Guess you kind of have to expect that though. Could use a source of water somewhere between 1 and 18, even just to cool off.
Other Thoughts: Love this course now with the new signage. Also, whoever had the idea to put, and I'm not kidding, a 751 foot hole in there was a genius. With the slightly elevated tee, you can get a ridiculous drive from whatever hole number it is. 13, or 14 maybe. Anyway, it's awesome!!

Combined with the East course across the parking lot, and maybe Krape Park in Freeport you can have a full day of fantastic Frolfing.

Beautiful and Fun

2-4    11/27/2009   1/28/2010
Review By: Blonde Thunder
Pros: Rolling hills provide elevation changes
Large mature trees spread perfectly through the course
Very creative multiple pin placements that provide challenges and fun
Plenty of length but accuracy also required
The risk/reward is high, but without the chance to lose a disc. If your shot is off track you could easily be behind a grove of trees that will cost you at least one shot.
Friendly locals who are helpful and who clearly put a lot of work into the course.
Trash is non-existent on this course!
Beautiful scenery throughout.
Cons: No real weaknesses unless you want to get picky...signs could be a bit better and it would be nice to have next tee signs for first timers. But, those tiny weaknesses didn't detract from my experience at all!
Other Thoughts: This course is a little over an hour from my home, but it is well worth the drive! The fact that another great 18 hole course (Anna Page - East) is just across the road makes the trip here even more rewarding!

West is more difficult

5+    8/17/2009   1/11/2010
Review By: #19325
Pros: The park itself is a great looking park. There are nice rolling hills that are plastered with mature trees. The grass is always cut. Thick rough comes in to play on some holes.

There are a variety of shots and distances required on this course. To score well here you have to be long and accurate. There are quite a few holes where you really get to let it rip too.

The cement tee pads are nice and large. It has some early Gateway baskets that catch good.

This is a par 54 that can play tough. SSA played around 50 (-4) There are several tough par 4's. Here is the link.
Cons: I like this course but it really has no signature holes that say man that was a great hole.

Tee signs are not the greatest and navigation can be tough in a couple of places. I saw in a couple of reviews new tees signs are in the works for 2010.

With the old more beginner friendly course I thought this course could have utilized the land and added a few more tougher par 4's.
Other Thoughts: I heard they put in another set of pin postions las fall that make this course much tougher. I have yet to play them.

Anna Page East is right across the parking lot. West is the more challenging of the 2 courses.

Watch for poison ivy. There are some places in the rough with thick ivy.

If you did a total redesign of East & West you could have 2 of the best championship level courses in Illinois. There is some very good land at this park.

Check out my Illinois Top 10

one of two good 18 hole layouts

2-4    8/25/2009   1/5/2010
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: New tee signs are done; awaiting installation in early 2010.
New set of long pin placements; making three pin spots on most holes.
Greens on pin placements have recently been mulched and or fixed up.
Nice tees.
This, and East, IMO will be found challenging to all level of players. Despite only having one set of tees; different challenges are offered. i.e. There is plenty to hit if you're a long arm....you must choose your shot and hit it...and hit some putts to "run with the big dogs." For lesser arms; the pure footage of this course, in addition to the lines required, will test every bit of your upshot/putting ability. (Note that the yardage for this course is not correct; as of 1-5-09. I don't think it was correct; even for the older set of pins; but now they have added an even longer/tougher set.)
Large, stately trees. West is more "tree" orientated; while East has more of a "bush" feel to it.
Quality water available from "bubbler", near bathrooms; at end of main lot.
Cons: To me; (I throw 340 max; and usually am solid more around 290 ft), this course is "somewhat boring." There is a lot of grip it and rip it here; which is why I believe high level players will find it to be a decent quality course. Back nine kind of plain (we'll see whether or not the new pin placements make this better?)
I do end up enjoying it from the stand point of, by footage alone; I must not make many mistakes; to hang around par. You're not deuceing many of these holes; unless you consistently throw well over 300 foot.
I hope the new tee signs; and hopefully, next tee signs; will be nice and in the ground; early in 2010. Up until this point, both Anna East and West have been rather tough to navigate. If this gets taken care of; the major draw back for both of these will be resolved.
No alcohol allowed here. There are stories of someone who drives around the course in a golf cart type of vehicle, enforcing said law and issues fines. I, personally, have not seen this, in numerous trips here; but, be discrete; and I definitely would not suggest standing in the parking lot with alcoholic beverages.
Other Thoughts: I originally played parts of this design; more than 15 years ago. In 2004; this course was added on a permanent basis, and is a fine compliment to Anna East. This course is more of a big arm course, with a more stately feel. As with my rating for East; I love this course enough to give it a 4 rating; but compared to the "very best in Illinois"; it doesn't quite make it to four.
Sinnissippi Park, in Sterling, is a bit of a haul from here; Anna East and West; combined with Sinnissippi; will give you the opportunity to play three courses; that were some of the very best in late 80s, early 90s design. They all still hold up very well; and this one has been continually upgraded in an attempt to keep high quality in terms of the most modern design. I am looking forward to playing in 2010; to see the new long, pin placements; and new signage.

Long and lost

1    10/26/2009   11/5/2009
Review By: tomjulio
Pros: -cement tees
-new baskets
-a variety of natures elements
-long bomber holes
-the beauty of playing in majestic large trees
-technical pin placements..in some
-right across from Anna East
Cons: -poor flow
-blind holes that are 300+
-bad bad signage
-repetitive after the first holes
-long bomber holes with no rhyme or reason
Other Thoughts: Took the day to head down to the land of Bears and wind to play Anna Page East and West. A great park with two nice disc golf courses back to back and across a parking lot from each other. Started with Anna page East and moved on across the road. LUCKILY, and this is a huge luckily, we ran into the course maintainer who actually drew on the back of my Rhyno the course map for Anna west with a sharpie, pretty cool. This would become INVALUABLE! What a great guy who talked to us about his courses. If we didn't have a map I could only imagine the hell and frustration this course would have given us, because even with a map we had a bitch of a time.

The course is still in it's infancy with almost no signs except for a few hand written wood posts with numbers on them. No next of, no yardage, not much of anything...and unfortunately with the layout this course needs it badly. Even with the map we were given, finding the next tee, and even the basket we were shooting at become annoying and downright painful. We shot at the wrong basket MANY times. Unforgivable.

The course starts off in these majestic older trees in the rolling land. No real marked fairways, but the trees make up for it. This goes on for the first six or seven holes. 300+ being normal for all. I can't even recall one hole under 300'.

The course opens up, WAY too much, on the back nine. You literally are just chucking and throwing again to get to a basket on the other side of a huge grassy soggy field. I never get these, especially when they are back to back. Such a waste. This is where the ability to be shooting at the wrong basket can come into play...and who wants to walk 700'+ to find out if the basket you see is the right one?

You end up the course back in the trees where finding the last tees and the baskets took a toll on us. We just didn't want to play any more. This is one of the very few times that I have never finished a course. 16's basket is right by the parking lot (after we found it) and we just quit there. 17 and 18 looked super repetitive and created a mini loop at the end of holes that looked exactly like the tree holes in the beginning.

In summary: with Anna East and West being in such close proximity this is a great little park. Not so much a destination duo, but one that is worth a play. Anna East is by far my favorite of the two (I rate that one a solid 3.5). West is young and needs help, and unfortunately is no where above the 3 I rate it as.

Heavily oaked course and some long holes.

1    11/1/2009   11/4/2009
This review was updated on 11/25/2009
Pros: 1) The best baskets I have ever played on. 24 chain baskets really do catch well and these were in great condition.

2) Nice large concrete pads are always a plus to any course. They are kind of expected, so this doesnt get them bonus points, but it will not take away from their score.

3) Challenge on this course is brough mainly by the massive sprawling oak trees. They have a lot of lateral limbs that you need to avoid and definitely give you a top ceiling you need to play underneath.

4) Some of the holes have recently had some new basket positions installed as it was obvious there was fresh soil around the baskets. I love it when course get better by adding new basket locations to change the courses up a bit from time to time.

5) This course really makes you work for birdies, which I enjoy even though i didnt get to make a single one all day. I like that the baskets are not easily reachable. They provide a challenge for you on every hole and it is up to you to execute.

6) Gently rolling hills come into play on quite a few holes. There is a little more dramatic elevation change on this course compared to the east, and when you factor in those holes are set amongst the tough sprawling oaks, it makes the elevation and importance of shot selection (mainly height of throw) even more pronounced.

7) Overall the variety on this course is good. It includes the elevation changes, holes going around corners to the left and to the right. long open ripper holes and some tighter technical shots. All in all this was an enjoyable course.
Cons: 1) Tee signs were homemade and some of them were not even readable. There were a couple missing completely. EDIT: APPARENTLY NEW SIGNS WERE RECENTLY INSTALLED. I WILL EDIT WHEN I SEE THEM.

2) On occassion the layout was hard to follow. There were no directional signs telling you where to go (at least I didnt see any). I walked to the wrong teepad 2-3 times and even skipped hole #11 and ended up playing it after hole #16 when I realize my error.

3) The distances on many of the holes seemed inaccurate . . . this may have to do with new basket locations so forgive me if this is a negative, but you would think that if they moved the basket they could easily sharpie the new distance on the homemade signs at the same time!

4) The basket for #15 is actually across #16 fairway. There really is no need fo rthis as the basket could easily be tucked up the hill further towards #18 basket to avoid the fairway on the next hole. This has got to cause a logjam in tourneys and busy days.

5) Holes #10 and #12 irked me a little bit. They were boring wide open and long. For the beginner or someone who does not have a massive arm, these holes will end up hurting your arm trying to throw as hard as you can 2-3 times to get to the basket. It is nice to include some longer holes into the layout, but make sure that they incorporate some interesting shots too in my opinion. These were fairly simply throw as hard as you can holes.

6) Leaves are tough in the fall and as I said in the East review this doesnt take away from the course rating, but it is worth mentioning. What trees provide an incredible course, also provide a headache for finding discs in the fall.

7) Not very beginner friendly because of how difficult some of the wooded holes are and also the length on most of the course is longer than your average course, but it obviously wasn't designed for beginners so I cannot hold this against the course too strongly.
Other Thoughts: I had a real hard time differentiating between the two courses quality. I think they both offer a lot of great holes. I like the heavily oaked holes on this course a lot, but the long wide open holes kindof irked my overall impression of this course. I still think there is enough for this course to be a 4 disc course in my book, but I feel like I enjoyed the East course just a little bit more. it had a consistent design, it flowed from hole to hole a little better, and overall just felt like a better designed course to me.

I really did enjoy my morning here to play both courses and wil; definitely be back again sometime. Hopefully I will get to play some of the different basket locations on both courses. I look forward to coming down for a tourney here sometime too as I think it would be a great course to play a tourney.

The arm snapper.

1    10/11/2009   10/12/2009
Review By: TheWCG
Pros: A lot of challenging pin placements. Many route options through the trees. Nice, well maintained course overall. Some elevation change to spice it up.
Cons: All holes were played par 4's. A constant huck fest with not much deuce potential. A lot of walking period... Both courses are EXTREMELY difficult to navigate if you don't understand what the heck they are doing with the pin placement(more info on DG Course Review). Alternate pins are switched with no warning on the course(East Course). It really screwed my game up.
Other Thoughts: On the West course they changed all the pin placements from the original. A lot more difficult. Thankfully we ran into one of the locals with a Ford pickup selling the most discs I have ever seen(Sorry I Forgot your name) informing us on where the NEW pin placement were with a map he had available. Otherwise I would Have been lost and pissed. Course NEEDS to be marked better! All in all Im glad I played it.

Fun course

5+    8/20/2009   8/20/2009
Review By: Michler
Pros: This is a pretty good course with a variety of shots required (rollers, anhyzer, hyzer, straight through trees, big hyzers over the top, etc..). A variety of distances with a couple par 4's. Most of the par 3's require an excellent shot to card your birdie and potential for bogey if you hit early. Fun to play with decent Gateway baskets and good cement tees!
Cons: Pretty flat. With the land available, a few more par 4's could have been thrown in to create more of a challenge relative to the neighboring course. Some of the par 3's could definitely have been lengthened a bit as well.
Other Thoughts: There is no hole on this course that I'd really consider a 'bad hole'. All provide a challenge to birdie with many potential bogeys.