Black Mountain, NC
Black Mountain Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #16 (Taken 6/2009)

Not enjoyable

1    6/29/2014   6/29/2014
Review By: lohroffc
Pros: mixed layout (wooded front, open back)
Easy to get to
Easy to navigate (back nine is through the tunnel)
Cons: inconsistent tee boxes
seemingly randomly placed tees and pins
Front 9 includes several high risk shots along the creek, often without realizing your flirting with the creek with very little reward. Except for hole 1 you could play the the entire front with your putter... with an exception or 2 where you might use your midrange.

The back 9 has virtually no challenging shots at all. It is simply a field with tees and pins placed without much thought. If others are on the course you have to be wary of them as they are likely in your line of flight or vice versa. Again the back is very short so there is very little need for a driver.

Most holes have a second set of tees but they are virtually pointless as they only typically add 10-30 feet to the length.

Tee turf mats are very small, but that isn't a huge deal as there is virtually no need for a run up tee shot on any hole. Some are uneven so make sure you have a good footing for your release.
Other Thoughts: I think this could have been an interesting 9 hole course rather than cramming 18 holes in. Holes 2-5 are virtually unplayable due to block lines of flight and pin placement along the creek. Having 4-5 holes on the front side of the highway and 4-5 on the back side (longer) would have made for an interesting course. Add second tees (with more variability than just length) and you could have had 18 playable holes.

A Tale of 2 Nines

5+    11/21/2009   9/27/2010
Review By: Olorin
This review was updated on 5/30/2011
Pros:
*I like the creek that comes into play on 3 holes on the front 9 and on hole 10. The wooded holes on the front 9 are rather nice.
*Navigation is pretty straight forward.
*I think that the drain pipe in the middle of hole 9 makes it kind of fun. It's like putt-putt in that you can take the safe route over the top or the shorter but much riskier route through the pipe.
*The tee signs are slightly above average. They're hand painted wood.
Cons:
-Most of the back 9 and some of the front 9 are too open for my taste.
-The front 9 is basically flat.
-Lack of fairway shape variety. The front 9 has 7 straight fairways. The back 9 does a little better with only 5 straight holes.
-Ambiance: The course is too close to I-40, so you sometimes hear interstate traffic noise.
-Safety issues. Hole 1 is too close to a soccer field and hole 9 is over an elevated park road.
-The tees on the back 9 are a bit too short.
My Rating = 3.5 out of 10, so on DGCR it's between a 1.5 and a 2.

Front 9 Course Level: Red (most suited for Juniors and Intermediate players rated 850)
Back 9 Course Level: White (most suited for Intermediate players rated 900.)

The front and back nines are very different from each other in topography, elevation changes, and length. The front 9 has some tight holes and the back is mostly open. The front 9 is flat, but the back 9 has some moderate elevation changes. You've got to take the land that you can get, but it feels like a shame that with all the mountains around the front 9 may be on one of the flattest pieces of land in the whole area.
~The back 9 tees are gravel covered with Astroturf. Not my favorite material but they work fine.
~There's a course map of the back 9 only.
~The front 9 is too short for my taste and the back 9 is too open.
Put it all together and the course just doesn't have that much drawing power for me. To give you the picture, every year I attend a conference in Black Mountain and I stay less than 5 minutes away from this course. Even though it's so close, I'd much rather drive over to Richmond Hill instead.

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course, on the day I played it, and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

~My more detailed "Overall Rating" notes and "Hole-by-hole Ratings" are available in the Files section.

2-4    8/24/2009   8/25/2009
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 11/15/2010
Pros: Beautiful location with mountains as a perfect backdrop. Nice creek that runs along several holes on the front 9. I'd hate having to fish a disc out of the water in the middle of winter. Back 9 plays mostly in a wide open field.
- Front 9 plays on one side of I-40, back 9 on the other side. Front nine plays in the park; back nine is disc golf only. Easy transition from the front to back.
- Great, descriptive tee signs. You can tell a lot of effort went into them.
- Some very cool, unique hole layouts. I loved #9 where you can see the basket through a drain pipe that runs under a bridge, but you have to throw over & around the bridge to get to the basket. I wonder if anyone has ever thrown a tee shot through the pipe or how many have gotten a disc stuck in their attempting to do so. I've also never had to throw around a billboard 30 feet from an interstate before - hole #17.
- Lots of shorter holes mean plenty of chances to make ace runs. Even the longer holes are mostly open, so you can be aggressive for potential birdies.
Cons: Tee pads are hurting. Some are dirt, which is okay because most of those holes aren't long. The other tees are artificial grass boxes, which are only about half as long as they need to be. I couldn't get a full X-step run up on any of the artificial tee pads. The tee pads were also raised up several inches off the ground, which could result in a twisted ankle if not careful.
- The tunnel between the front and back 9 needs a complete guardrail. You can also tell it probably floods pretty easy, so I don't know how easy it would be to access the back 9 if the tunnel is inaccessible.
- Most of the front 9 weaves in and around a walking trail. I played on a slow Monday afternoon, but even then, I had to wait 3 times for walkers to move by before I could throw. I'm sure this is much more of a problem when the course is busier, like on weekends.
- Holes 3 - 5 are essentially the same hole. They're all BHLH throws in the 150 foot range all in a cramped, little part of the park. The whole front really is cramped together in a small part of the park. Now that the course is 18 holes, I would really like to see more use of the land to make some longer, tougher holes on the front 9.
- The back 9 is mostly in an open field. When I first walked out from the tunnel, I saw a bunch of baskets in this open field. Without a map, it'd be really hard to navigate the back 9 without throwing to wrong baskets. Also a note on several holes on the back 9. On #11, the basket is really close to a vegetable garden in somebody's backyard. On #13, you're throwing near, or through, the backyard of an abandoned house to the basket.
Other Thoughts: All in all, the course seems like it may still be a work in progress. The kinks on the back 9 are still being worked out. Better/longer tee pads are a must.
- As mentioned above, now that this is an 18-hole course, it would be great if some of the holes on the front 9 got a makeover, improving the overall quality.
- On the back 9, the fairways and paths between one basket to the next tee are cut grass. Everything else (the rough) is taller grass. As long as the grass is constantly kept short, this strategy will work. If not, it's going to make things more difficult.
- Overall, the front 9 is nothing special. It felt like every small town 9 hole course. As mentioned above, I was surprised the back 9 was better, and more enjoyable than I would have expected.
- I feel a 2.0 is a slight bit generous, especially with the problems noted and the lack of overall difficulty. Still, I was able to manage to play a quick, enjoyable round on my way out of town. It's good that the Asheville area now has a second 18 hole course. And with a course at UNC-A being installed, the area is taking major steps to improving its DG scene.

C = As average as the come for 9 holers

1    8/24/2007   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- C-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B+

eh....

1    10/4/2006   9/23/2008
Review By: chris deitzel
Pros: It's a 9-hole course in an area that did not have much disc golf in the area back in the area from the 90's - early 2000's. The course is not friendly for beginners with the water and not challenging for experts.
Cons: Snakes....scary looking snakes. Weird hole designs. The water is deep on the 2nd hole, and not good for beginners. And as a pro, I was not challenged at all.
Other Thoughts: I would not make a special trip to play here. If you are nearby, then maybe you should play it, but otherwise, drive somewhere else to play.