Black Mountain, NC
Black Mountain Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #14 (Taken 6/2009)
Hole #14 Blue (long) Tee

Convenient, easy, quick

2-4    11/2/2013   11/2/2013
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - Great location - right off 40 (you have to walk under 40 to get to back 9).
- Right at the base of the mountains - some nice views as you are playing.
- Multiple tees on most baskets.
- Back nine makes good use of gentle elevation changes.
- Decent amount of benches
- If you play quickly (with no one else on the course), you could probably get a round done in 30 minutes.
Cons: - Probably ace runs on 15+ of the 18 holes, so the course is very short (and those who throw them feel obligated to sign them).
- Teepads are pretty bad. Non-existent on most of the front nine. Back 9 has astroturf which is kind of "lumpy".
- Signs need to be redone. They are kind of weathered. The ones that are there are adequate.
- The course is pretty tight. The only reason why it would not be dangerous if several groups were playing is because they should be playing with blunt-nosed putters (or maybe that's why it is dangerous because those throwing drivers may not quite be as accurate as needed).
- Minimal variation in holes - it's OK, but not great.
Other Thoughts: This is close to where our church does a retreat, so I have been able to play this course a few times. It's actually a fun little course. 2 is a great hole over water (that you can fish your disc out of if you hit the tree branch). They changed 9 so it's not over the bike path anymore. That was a quirky, cool hole, but no longer....:( The back nine are similar in the open field - they actually do a decent job mixing them up, and it seems like the field is mowed and fairways maintained, so you feel like you're playing on a course rather then in a field. Navigation is a little tricky the first time since you can see all these baskets. The first time I played was early in my DG "career" and I found the course very challenging. When I played a few years later, it really was a putter and mids course. I think it would be a good course for beginners to learn on, but I will say it again, it is very, very short. If it weren't for the convenient location and mountain views, I would have given a 2.

Nice pitch and putt

2-4    5/14/2012   5/14/2012
Review By: skottyb
Pros: Nice location, Good flow to the course, creek runs along the front nine and can play some degree of difficulty. Can play a fast round, put in 2 solo rounds in 2 hours and took my time, I think the put it together well for the amount of land available, I dont think there is any other way it could have flowed that well
Cons: Front 9 tees are terrible, puddles of water in the middle of each one, didn't have to use any other discs other than a roc and a sole, did use a teebird on the first hole, the longest by far on the course. Back 9 is good to work on your putter driving game, definitely lacked obstacles though.
Other Thoughts: Easy to get too, i was wanting to get in rounds quick so it did the job, in town visiting and will check Richmond Hill for more of a challenge.

Water, water everywhere

1    1/6/2009   1/6/2009
Review By: lukegardner
Pros: Hole 9 is hilarious and shows a good sense of humor - the pin is visible from the tee through a pipe under a pedestrian bridge!
Hole 2 is actually quite challenging, with a pretty high risk to reward ratio. If you screw up, you're going swimming as your disc will almost certainly land in the creek.
This course would be a great place to hone your skills as there is a decent variety of obstacles to get around: hallway-type tree setups, hyzer and anhyzer shots, some tees require a rather delicate touch.
You only have to cross your own tracks once, and the flow is logical. I had no trouble whatsoever finding the tees and pins. The signs were fairly clear about pin location.
Cons: The creek will be a problem for novice players, as it's located very close to most of the pins.
Too short. I don't remember anything being longer than 250 feet, though the alternate tees could certainly add a bit of challenge.
No elevation changes.
Alternate tees not clearly marked - but are they ever?
Tees were very, very muddy.
Other Thoughts: I played this course on a very rainy day, and the creek was rather deep. On the second hole I was unlucky enough to hit the giant tree over the creek - I had to wade in and grab my disc (which was, luckily, brightly colored even in the rather muddy water).

I'm not sure exactly who this course is for. It's short, but not exactly appropriate for novice players (though it's certainly easier than the nearby Richmond Hill).

This course seems like it could have decent replay value - I was definitely trying to avoid the creek and that hampered my shots a bit, but I'd love to play this again after I've had my fill of Richmond Hill.