Black Mountain, NC
Black Mountain Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #3
Hole #3 Tee: Narrow drive through the woods, fade right to pin. OB creek runs along the right

Surprisingly fun

1    10/20/2011   10/23/2011
Review By: mikeyg
Pros: I was pleasantly surprised by how fun this course was to play. The front 9 was basically like a pitch and putt but was technical enough to require a variety of throws. The holes had clever designs and used the creek that came into play well. The back 9 was basically wide open but added some elvation changes.
Cons: Over all the back 9 was a littel bit lacking but from what I understand it was added afterwards. There really weren't any signs to help with navigation but it was relatively easy for the most part. The recently changed the layout of the back 9 a bit and after I think it was hole 13 the numbers on the tees don't match the numbers on the baskets. If I remember correctly, tee 14 throws at pin 15 and so on. the course was very windy, which i am told is the norm. Also, the close proximity to the highway took a little away from the experience.
Other Thoughts: I was trying to decide whether to give this course a 2.5 or a 3. Ultimately, because I had fun playing the course I wanted to improve its overall rating a little rather than make it worse. While I only threw an even round, I attribute that to it being my first time and wind blown putts. Overall I think just about every hole is a possible birdie.

Love it!

5+    12/2/2011   5/12/2011
Review By: ashevillain
This review was updated on 12/26/2011
Pros: - I love the front 9 although I loved the old original 9 even more (see other thoughts). The carpeted tees here seem to not be nearly as slick as the the ones at Richmond Hill. Easy flow to the course for the most part and the signage is plentiful enough.

- One of my favorite holes ever is #2 (old #5) where you have to throw over the Swannanoa River. Also I like the way they did #9 so you can see the basket through the culvert. If they really wanted to making this hole challenging it could be made into a mando under the bridge.

- I'm conflicted on how to address the back 9. On one hand I'm glad there are 18 holes now but on the other hand the back 9 holes aren't the best or most creative.

- I recently played the white tees for the first time using only a putter and playing them as par 2's. I have to recommend you to do this if you are getting burned out on the blue tees. It's a nice change of pace throwing slightly different shots. It's still challenging if you make them par 2's plus almost every hole is a potential ace.
Cons: - It's kind of awkward how the course doubles back on itself after #5 and #18

- You have to walk back across #2. I always find myself peeking around the opening in trees so I don't get hit with a disc coming from the #2 tee since they can't see you either and some people will throw to the left of that big tree instead of throwing to the right of it and over the river.

- After you finish #18 you walk back under the interstate and past the basket for #9 and you can't really see if anyone is throwing from the #9 tee so you need to be aware!

- I wish the back 9 played downstream on the opposite side of the river (starting on the other side of the footbridge...parallel to the front 9).

- As of 12/26/11 some of the carpeted tees have started to settle or warp or something. Most of them are really bumpy...a couple of them (#10 comes to mind) are pretty dangerous as far as rolling/twisting/breaking and ankle. Also, IMO almost all of the tees on the back 9 are too short.

- There's lots of idiotic ace tagging of the baskets. Seriously, please stop this. It looks trashy. And, no, I do not believe that "Ramrod" has aced every hole out there.
Other Thoughts: My favorite was the old configuration. The tee for #1 used to be under the bridge between current #9 and #10 and the course followed the river downstream. The original #9 ended on the opposite side of the baseball fields (near the entrance to the park). If you continue to follow the river after #4 you can still see where the old tees (little blue concrete circles) and baskets were. The new #1, #2, #3, #4 correspond to the old #4, #5, #6, #7. The other 5 holes on the front 9 are totally different. The front 9 had to be redone following flooding which washed away some of the river banks.

[/waxing nostalgic]

One of my favorites...as a 9 holer

5+    1/7/2011   1/7/2011
Review By: topflight
Pros: You can play 9 holes is 20 minutes. I love the front original 9, the back 9 are not my favorites although you can air it out some. Tight and technical, plenty of ace runs and risk asyou play around the swannanoa river.
Cons: small feel to the course, the back 9 are not fun.
Other Thoughts: great place to learn, to take the kids or just play a relaxing fun round. certainly worth the stop if you are in the area.

Lots of fun. Jealous of the locals!

1    10/23/2010   10/25/2010
Review By: johnnyfoodstamp
Pros: The nicest signage I've ever seen. Multiple tee pads on most holes and nice over the water shots. Nice baskets. Lots of thought went into the course. Signature hole has to be 9. Shot over the road and you can see the basket through a pipe in the side of the road.
Cons: Probably too easy for the seasoned disc golfer. The back nine was a little plain but I imagine the rough in the summer is much worse.
Other Thoughts: The front nine plays like a beginner course, with more room to open up on the back nine. I scored a -2 so I know this has to be an easy course but still very worth it if in the area. You can really tell people love this place and take care of it. Not far from Asheville.

easy, good fun

5+    9/24/2010   9/29/2010
Review By: smiller
Pros: a fun little course through a pretty little park along the swannanoa river. the mountain views on the back 9 are beautiful. a nice mix of challenges; trees and water on the front nine, and longer throws on the back.
Cons: right next to i-40, there is considerable traffic noise on many of the holes.
Other Thoughts: this is my everyday course. the different types challenges presented by the front nine and the back nine keep it interesting. the front nine with the trees and water, and the back nine with some longer throws. Aced 18 last time out! i wouldn't drive too far to visit this one, but if you are in asheville or driving by on I-40, do it!

A Tale of 2 Nines

5+    11/21/2009   9/27/2010
Review By: Olorin
This review was updated on 5/30/2011
Pros:
*I like the creek that comes into play on 3 holes on the front 9 and on hole 10. The wooded holes on the front 9 are rather nice.
*Navigation is pretty straight forward.
*I think that the drain pipe in the middle of hole 9 makes it kind of fun. It's like putt-putt in that you can take the safe route over the top or the shorter but much riskier route through the pipe.
*The tee signs are slightly above average. They're hand painted wood.
Cons:
-Most of the back 9 and some of the front 9 are too open for my taste.
-The front 9 is basically flat.
-Lack of fairway shape variety. The front 9 has 7 straight fairways. The back 9 does a little better with only 5 straight holes.
-Ambiance: The course is too close to I-40, so you sometimes hear interstate traffic noise.
-Safety issues. Hole 1 is too close to a soccer field and hole 9 is over an elevated park road.
-The tees on the back 9 are a bit too short.
My Rating = 3.5 out of 10, so on DGCR it's between a 1.5 and a 2.

Front 9 Course Level: Red (most suited for Juniors and Intermediate players rated 850)
Back 9 Course Level: White (most suited for Intermediate players rated 900.)

The front and back nines are very different from each other in topography, elevation changes, and length. The front 9 has some tight holes and the back is mostly open. The front 9 is flat, but the back 9 has some moderate elevation changes. You've got to take the land that you can get, but it feels like a shame that with all the mountains around the front 9 may be on one of the flattest pieces of land in the whole area.
~The back 9 tees are gravel covered with Astroturf. Not my favorite material but they work fine.
~There's a course map of the back 9 only.
~The front 9 is too short for my taste and the back 9 is too open.
Put it all together and the course just doesn't have that much drawing power for me. To give you the picture, every year I attend a conference in Black Mountain and I stay less than 5 minutes away from this course. Even though it's so close, I'd much rather drive over to Richmond Hill instead.

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course, on the day I played it, and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

~My more detailed "Overall Rating" notes and "Hole-by-hole Ratings" are available in the Files section.

I liked it

1    9/13/2010   9/13/2010
Review By: bsh301
Pros: Good use of what space was available, several water hazards(#2 had me wondering if I really wanted to throw from the blues). Yes,8 out of the front 9 are short; and the back 9 are totally different, but all in all it's a fun lil course if your passing thru.
Other Thoughts: I was driving thru the area while working, and decided to stop and give it a try; I'm glad I did.Thanks to the 3 locals that I played the last 12 with, it was alot of help with navigating the back 9. I'll definitly stop by the next time I'm in the area.

1    7/8/2010   8/8/2010
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Overall- This city park course has 18 holes with dual tees, nice baskets, and very nice color tee signs. The course began as 9 holes but is now upgraded to a full 18.

Front- The front 9 is could be described as cute. It is mostly flat but wooded and along creek that can come into play on several holes. #2 is a fantastic hole over the creek to a small landing area in the bend of the creek protected by a large tree. #9 over the bridge with the basket visible through the pipe is also unique.

Back- The land is away from the rest of the park (on the other side of 1-40, through the big tunnel), in a larger area allowing the holes to be longer than the front. The fairways and greens are cut out of tall grass/weeds (at least in the summer). The designers made good use of what few obstacles are there- trees, cables, poles, billboards, etc. There are also a couple of holes that nicely utilize a little bit of elevation on a course that is flat overall.
Cons: Overall- The course is clearly two separate 9-hole courses as they were built in two phases and have 2 contrasting styles. The tees are a mix of natural and turf tees. The turf tees are ok, but are on the short side. Dual tees are nice, but there was not a whole lot of difference between the short and longs on most holes. Some of the longer tees did provide different angles, but most were just a little longer version of the same shot.

Front- The holes 3-6 are narrowly side by side with fairways and tees very close to other holes. A walking trail runs along holes 1, 7, and 8.

Back- It was a little strange playing in what felt like people's backyards on a couple of holes. There is the potential to be really boring in the winter if the tall grass is all gone.
Other Thoughts: The front is great for locals, beginners, and rec players to have fun, as it's not too hard or long. Other than #1, most of the holes can be played with mids and putters. The back has a little more challenge and length, but most experienced players will find this course pretty easy and boring after 1 or 2 rounds. There are lots of birdie opportunities and ace runs here.

It is worth a stop if you are driving by, as it's just off I-40 and is a quick play. But it is probably not worth driving from far away. I wouldn't even highly recommend driving from Asheville unless you are coming to Black Mountain for other reasons.

Short Then Open

2-4    3/6/2010   3/6/2010
Review By: zud00
Pros: Alternate tees, nice tee signs, navigation was easy, nice baskets, good use of creek to make some challenging shots, benches throughout
Cons: Short and lacking variety, walking path goes through some of the front 9 holes, backtracking through some of the fairways to the next tee.
Other Thoughts: I drove 50 minutes from Lake Lure to play this course. I'd suggest stopping by to play this course if passing through, although I'm not sure I'd drive out of my way to play this course.

The front 9 and the back 9 are two different kinds of courses. The first 9 holes play along a creek which make for some interesting shots. The creek can come into play and change your shot decision (risk-reward). A good looking shot can take a bad turn if it takes a bad kick off of a tree and maybe even end up in the creek. When I played, the creek was flowing fast (would have made for a tough time recovering a disc). Hole 2 was memorable where you throw over the creek to a peninsula green. The tree hanging over the creek can bring down any errant throws. Holes 3 and 6-9 bring the creek into play as well.

However, the lack of variety in distance kept nearly all of my discs in my bag except for my putters. I used a driver on the first tee and a putter or mid on the rest of the 9 holes. There are definitely many chances for an ace.

The back 9 holes are played out in an open field. Some of the baskets are tucked away off of the side, giving it somewhat of a challenge. A few mandos added give it a bit more variety.

Even with the course being short and the long tees being not far from the shorts, they do offer a different look and require a different shot for the most part. I'd recommend playing both tees if you have time.

Overall, this course was OK. Not great, not bad. Short and lacking variety. Aces are highly possible and so are good scores.

Big improvement!

5+    9/10/2009   9/11/2009
Review By: glax
Pros: Beautiful surroundings. Very short but fun front nine. After #1 you won't pull out the driver till the back 9. The throw over the water on #2 is always fun. (wear water shoes) Fun shot shaping, aceable holes to finish the front. The back nine was just added to a field on the other side of I-40. These guys did the absolute best job possible with the space they had to work with. The holes are much longer on the back and that tee shot from #16 is a blast!
Cons: The front is short but, it is layed out well. The layout on the back nine is a little confusing the first time but, you are in a field mostly how hard is it really to find the next pad?
Other Thoughts: This is my home course. Since the back nine was added a few months ago, this course has become alot more enjoyable. I would encourage anyone who hasn't played it to come on out. I really don't understand how anyone could rate this a 2 or below. I gave it a five to because it is by no means a 2.5 course. It deserves a 3 - 3.5 now that the back is complete.