Black Mountain, NC
Black Mountain Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #6

< Prev 1 2 3
Just off, and under, the highway

1    11/1/2013   11/11/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: For a travel-stop course, Black Mountain is not too shabby. It's just off the highway, it can be played quickly, it has a few nice shots, and it boasts some epic scenery.

The course is literally a step from the interstate. I've played disc golf north if I40, and I've played south of it, but this was the first time I've done that on a single course. This little slice of land is completely surrounded by mountains. I40 slightly ruins the effect, but you hear the cars more than you see the high way. Views of the peaks are largely unimpeded. It's a great place to stop, stretch legs and throw a few discs around.

It's a short course. It even labels itself as par three disc golf. But it has a few memorable holes. Mostly two and three. They aren't long holes, but they wind along the river, adding some needed danger, and you can hang one out over the river before fading left to the bank. The river itself is great, its not deep enough or fast enough to be a disc-loss threat, but it moves along nicely and adds great effect to the front nine.

The back nine is across the highway in an open field, but a field on an hill, giving many of the holes here some interest based on elevation alone. It also boasts tees, nice turf tees at that, which have held up far better than the teesigns. Many of them also had a second teepad. Maybe, they all did, it's tough to tell without signs. But the hill allows many of the otherwise unremarkable holes to stand out, at least from each other. One is along the river. Another sharply uuphill. One downhill down the middle and another downhill along the edge. For the space the nine was scrammed into it's a pretty nice design.
Cons: The extra stuff at Black Mountain is in pretty bad shape. The signs are mostly missing, with only the post that held them remaining. The signs that are there have seen better days. And it is often (perplexingly so at such a small course) difficult to locate the next tee. Even with the map I ended up skipping 13 and going from 12 to 14. It may also be advisable to skip 18, as there is no basket there.

Beyond that, half the course is just in an open field and one without a ton of distance. There has been an attempt to mow it into fairway and rough, but none of that affects flight path and most holes can be easily parked anyways.

Even on the first nine, 4-6 are pretty weak and a disappointment after the previous holes. While the other are short, these are incredibly short. When I realized at the 4 basket that I had to backtrack and play parallel to 2 and 3 I was fairly stunned. They're really just upshots and require walking back across where someone could be throwing. Of the nine, I'd say four are pure filler.
Other Thoughts: It's fun, but it might have been more fun as a nine. Playing 2,3,7,8 and some combination of the back nine could be a great nine with a lot more challenge. I think a great safari nine could be easily be made up with what is there and if I was local, I would have definitely done this.

If it isn't too crowded, just use the 11 basket from the 18 tee.

Convenient, easy, quick

2-4    11/2/2013   11/2/2013
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - Great location - right off 40 (you have to walk under 40 to get to back 9).
- Right at the base of the mountains - some nice views as you are playing.
- Multiple tees on most baskets.
- Back nine makes good use of gentle elevation changes.
- Decent amount of benches
- If you play quickly (with no one else on the course), you could probably get a round done in 30 minutes.
Cons: - Probably ace runs on 15+ of the 18 holes, so the course is very short (and those who throw them feel obligated to sign them).
- Teepads are pretty bad. Non-existent on most of the front nine. Back 9 has astroturf which is kind of "lumpy".
- Signs need to be redone. They are kind of weathered. The ones that are there are adequate.
- The course is pretty tight. The only reason why it would not be dangerous if several groups were playing is because they should be playing with blunt-nosed putters (or maybe that's why it is dangerous because those throwing drivers may not quite be as accurate as needed).
- Minimal variation in holes - it's OK, but not great.
Other Thoughts: This is close to where our church does a retreat, so I have been able to play this course a few times. It's actually a fun little course. 2 is a great hole over water (that you can fish your disc out of if you hit the tree branch). They changed 9 so it's not over the bike path anymore. That was a quirky, cool hole, but no longer....:( The back nine are similar in the open field - they actually do a decent job mixing them up, and it seems like the field is mowed and fairways maintained, so you feel like you're playing on a course rather then in a field. Navigation is a little tricky the first time since you can see all these baskets. The first time I played was early in my DG "career" and I found the course very challenging. When I played a few years later, it really was a putter and mids course. I think it would be a good course for beginners to learn on, but I will say it again, it is very, very short. If it weren't for the convenient location and mountain views, I would have given a 2.

Mountain Birdie Time

1    5/16/2012   5/27/2012
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - A good short par 3 course that gives you two different looks. The front nine goes from open to wooded to a mixture and then you hit the back nine and end up in an open field.

The front nine does offer up some technical shorter shots that you'll have to do some shot shaping to get close. It uses the river very well to add difficulty to some holes and makes you think about your route. The wooded part has some nice basket locations that add difficulty to some putts. It also gives you the longest open hole (#1) on the course where you can really rip it.

The back nine is in a big open field which is usually a sign of boredom but I can honestly say I've never seen open done so well. They use the elevation and the edges of the field to give you some unique looks. The fairways and greens are mowed while the rough is left tall which adds another aspect that makes you feel like you're not just out in the open.

The entire course is a birdie fest and you can really shoot low out there and feel good about yourself. There's two sets of tees and even the longer ones are casual player level. I also think the course flows well and you're never left wondering where to go next.

Equipment - The baskets are in good shape. The tees are large and astroturf and worked surprisingly well. It was dry when I played so I could see them being a problem if wet but i had no complaints. There's benches everywhere which helped in the open area when the sun was blazing.

Atmosphere - The aura of the course is hit and miss. On one hand you have anice wooded area, a river, a nice open field and a community garden with an Appalachian backdrop. On the other hand I-40 is running right through the middle of it all. The park also has some ball fields but the course keeps you away from that for the most part.
Cons: Layout - Although the front nine does well with a limited space it's crammed in there and the layout suffers from that. You probably won't need more than a putter for everything from 2-9. I also didn't like how many simple hyzers were thrown in on the first part as you went along the edge of the woods towards the back nine.

I liked #1 because it's long and open but it just doesn't jive with how the course really begins, it would be much better if it was the last hole you played.

The open back nine is done superbly for what it is but... if they planted some trees to mix it up a bit and create some separation from other holes it would be a huge step in the right direction.

Equipment - I didn't mind the astroturf tees but I know that's a con for some. The hole signs are broken in a lot of places and need to be redone.

Atmosphere - As I said before I-40 runs right through the middle of the park and ruins what would be a beautiful place in a way.
Other Thoughts: I played this course with friends of all ages, from a couple with a baby to an older women. It's that kind of place, a great place to bring your family or people starting out.

#2 is an awesome disc golf hole. It's a hyzer over a bend in the river, around a tree and on to the bank where the basket sits right in the bend.

This is a fun course and if you're going past it on I-40 you should definitely stop. If they get some trees on the back part the course it would be one of the more solid ones in the area. The designers did a good job of taking the area and making it fun and interesting. If they get some trees on the back nine I'll bump it up.

Nice pitch and putt

2-4    5/14/2012   5/14/2012
Review By: skottyb
Pros: Nice location, Good flow to the course, creek runs along the front nine and can play some degree of difficulty. Can play a fast round, put in 2 solo rounds in 2 hours and took my time, I think the put it together well for the amount of land available, I dont think there is any other way it could have flowed that well
Cons: Front 9 tees are terrible, puddles of water in the middle of each one, didn't have to use any other discs other than a roc and a sole, did use a teebird on the first hole, the longest by far on the course. Back 9 is good to work on your putter driving game, definitely lacked obstacles though.
Other Thoughts: Easy to get too, i was wanting to get in rounds quick so it did the job, in town visiting and will check Richmond Hill for more of a challenge.

2-4    10/31/2011   10/31/2011
Review By: roadtrip
Pros: Close to the highway, easy to navigate, very quick rounds. Fun layout. Front 9 are all shortie holes with obstacles (trees, a river), Back 9 (walk under the hwy to get there) are all open. Nice variety on all of these (rights, lefts, skippers, tight shots, open shots, etc). Very scenic and serene. This is a great course to stop and warm-up on when you're headed to Richmond Hill. The back 9 seems uninspired but it's well maintained and it's good use of such a small area. Fairways were mowed short when I played, and the rough is manageable - no lost discs in this tall-grass. There are two tees for most holes and the back 9 at least plays up/down hills and incorporates the mtn/hwy wind.
Cons: Signs and tee pads could be better.
There are walking trails throughout the course, so please beware of dog-walkers and families.
Other Thoughts: The last reviewer summed it up pretty well - this course is between a 2.5 and a 3; I chose 3 because I wanted to improve the rating instead of hurting it. The best way to look at this course is a very easy, quick, scenic walk. No huge drives, just a bunch of shortie woods holes on the front 9 and open holes on the back. Hole 9 is unique to look at but a relatively easy throw over a bridge.

There are tons of shortie courses close to highways, this is one I'd actually recommend. Not a destination course, but a really nice warm-up course. If you're with buddies, it's mostly ace runs and then making your putts. Also a good course if you're traveling with non-golfers (significant others, kids, dogs, etc)

Surprisingly fun

1    10/20/2011   10/23/2011
Review By: mikeyg
Pros: I was pleasantly surprised by how fun this course was to play. The front 9 was basically like a pitch and putt but was technical enough to require a variety of throws. The holes had clever designs and used the creek that came into play well. The back 9 was basically wide open but added some elvation changes.
Cons: Over all the back 9 was a littel bit lacking but from what I understand it was added afterwards. There really weren't any signs to help with navigation but it was relatively easy for the most part. The recently changed the layout of the back 9 a bit and after I think it was hole 13 the numbers on the tees don't match the numbers on the baskets. If I remember correctly, tee 14 throws at pin 15 and so on. the course was very windy, which i am told is the norm. Also, the close proximity to the highway took a little away from the experience.
Other Thoughts: I was trying to decide whether to give this course a 2.5 or a 3. Ultimately, because I had fun playing the course I wanted to improve its overall rating a little rather than make it worse. While I only threw an even round, I attribute that to it being my first time and wind blown putts. Overall I think just about every hole is a possible birdie.

Love it!

5+    12/2/2011   5/12/2011
Review By: ashevillain
This review was updated on 12/26/2011
Pros: - I love the front 9 although I loved the old original 9 even more (see other thoughts). The carpeted tees here seem to not be nearly as slick as the the ones at Richmond Hill. Easy flow to the course for the most part and the signage is plentiful enough.

- One of my favorite holes ever is #2 (old #5) where you have to throw over the Swannanoa River. Also I like the way they did #9 so you can see the basket through the culvert. If they really wanted to making this hole challenging it could be made into a mando under the bridge.

- I'm conflicted on how to address the back 9. On one hand I'm glad there are 18 holes now but on the other hand the back 9 holes aren't the best or most creative.

- I recently played the white tees for the first time using only a putter and playing them as par 2's. I have to recommend you to do this if you are getting burned out on the blue tees. It's a nice change of pace throwing slightly different shots. It's still challenging if you make them par 2's plus almost every hole is a potential ace.
Cons: - It's kind of awkward how the course doubles back on itself after #5 and #18

- You have to walk back across #2. I always find myself peeking around the opening in trees so I don't get hit with a disc coming from the #2 tee since they can't see you either and some people will throw to the left of that big tree instead of throwing to the right of it and over the river.

- After you finish #18 you walk back under the interstate and past the basket for #9 and you can't really see if anyone is throwing from the #9 tee so you need to be aware!

- I wish the back 9 played downstream on the opposite side of the river (starting on the other side of the footbridge...parallel to the front 9).

- As of 12/26/11 some of the carpeted tees have started to settle or warp or something. Most of them are really bumpy...a couple of them (#10 comes to mind) are pretty dangerous as far as rolling/twisting/breaking and ankle. Also, IMO almost all of the tees on the back 9 are too short.

- There's lots of idiotic ace tagging of the baskets. Seriously, please stop this. It looks trashy. And, no, I do not believe that "Ramrod" has aced every hole out there.
Other Thoughts: My favorite was the old configuration. The tee for #1 used to be under the bridge between current #9 and #10 and the course followed the river downstream. The original #9 ended on the opposite side of the baseball fields (near the entrance to the park). If you continue to follow the river after #4 you can still see where the old tees (little blue concrete circles) and baskets were. The new #1, #2, #3, #4 correspond to the old #4, #5, #6, #7. The other 5 holes on the front 9 are totally different. The front 9 had to be redone following flooding which washed away some of the river banks.

[/waxing nostalgic]

One of my favorites...as a 9 holer

5+    1/7/2011   1/7/2011
Review By: topflight
Pros: You can play 9 holes is 20 minutes. I love the front original 9, the back 9 are not my favorites although you can air it out some. Tight and technical, plenty of ace runs and risk asyou play around the swannanoa river.
Cons: small feel to the course, the back 9 are not fun.
Other Thoughts: great place to learn, to take the kids or just play a relaxing fun round. certainly worth the stop if you are in the area.

Lots of fun. Jealous of the locals!

1    10/23/2010   10/25/2010
Review By: johnnyfoodstamp
Pros: The nicest signage I've ever seen. Multiple tee pads on most holes and nice over the water shots. Nice baskets. Lots of thought went into the course. Signature hole has to be 9. Shot over the road and you can see the basket through a pipe in the side of the road.
Cons: Probably too easy for the seasoned disc golfer. The back nine was a little plain but I imagine the rough in the summer is much worse.
Other Thoughts: The front nine plays like a beginner course, with more room to open up on the back nine. I scored a -2 so I know this has to be an easy course but still very worth it if in the area. You can really tell people love this place and take care of it. Not far from Asheville.

easy, good fun

5+    9/24/2010   9/29/2010
Review By: smiller
Pros: a fun little course through a pretty little park along the swannanoa river. the mountain views on the back 9 are beautiful. a nice mix of challenges; trees and water on the front nine, and longer throws on the back.
Cons: right next to i-40, there is considerable traffic noise on many of the holes.
Other Thoughts: this is my everyday course. the different types challenges presented by the front nine and the back nine keep it interesting. the front nine with the trees and water, and the back nine with some longer throws. Aced 18 last time out! i wouldn't drive too far to visit this one, but if you are in asheville or driving by on I-40, do it!

< Prev 1 2 3