Black Mountain, NC
Hole #5 White Tee

Mountain Birdie Time

1    5/16/2012   5/27/2012
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - A good short par 3 course that gives you two different looks. The front nine goes from open to wooded to a mixture and then you hit the back nine and end up in an open field.

The front nine does offer up some technical shorter shots that you'll have to do some shot shaping to get close. It uses the river very well to add difficulty to some holes and makes you think about your route. The wooded part has some nice basket locations that add difficulty to some putts. It also gives you the longest open hole (#1) on the course where you can really rip it.

The back nine is in a big open field which is usually a sign of boredom but I can honestly say I've never seen open done so well. They use the elevation and the edges of the field to give you some unique looks. The fairways and greens are mowed while the rough is left tall which adds another aspect that makes you feel like you're not just out in the open.

The entire course is a birdie fest and you can really shoot low out there and feel good about yourself. There's two sets of tees and even the longer ones are casual player level. I also think the course flows well and you're never left wondering where to go next.

Equipment - The baskets are in good shape. The tees are large and astroturf and worked surprisingly well. It was dry when I played so I could see them being a problem if wet but i had no complaints. There's benches everywhere which helped in the open area when the sun was blazing.

Atmosphere - The aura of the course is hit and miss. On one hand you have anice wooded area, a river, a nice open field and a community garden with an Appalachian backdrop. On the other hand I-40 is running right through the middle of it all. The park also has some ball fields but the course keeps you away from that for the most part.
Cons: Layout - Although the front nine does well with a limited space it's crammed in there and the layout suffers from that. You probably won't need more than a putter for everything from 2-9. I also didn't like how many simple hyzers were thrown in on the first part as you went along the edge of the woods towards the back nine.

I liked #1 because it's long and open but it just doesn't jive with how the course really begins, it would be much better if it was the last hole you played.

The open back nine is done superbly for what it is but... if they planted some trees to mix it up a bit and create some separation from other holes it would be a huge step in the right direction.

Equipment - I didn't mind the astroturf tees but I know that's a con for some. The hole signs are broken in a lot of places and need to be redone.

Atmosphere - As I said before I-40 runs right through the middle of the park and ruins what would be a beautiful place in a way.
Other Thoughts: I played this course with friends of all ages, from a couple with a baby to an older women. It's that kind of place, a great place to bring your family or people starting out.

#2 is an awesome disc golf hole. It's a hyzer over a bend in the river, around a tree and on to the bank where the basket sits right in the bend.

This is a fun course and if you're going past it on I-40 you should definitely stop. If they get some trees on the back part the course it would be one of the more solid ones in the area. The designers did a good job of taking the area and making it fun and interesting. If they get some trees on the back nine I'll bump it up.

Nice pitch and putt

2-4    5/14/2012   5/14/2012
Review By: skottyb
Pros: Nice location, Good flow to the course, creek runs along the front nine and can play some degree of difficulty. Can play a fast round, put in 2 solo rounds in 2 hours and took my time, I think the put it together well for the amount of land available, I dont think there is any other way it could have flowed that well
Cons: Front 9 tees are terrible, puddles of water in the middle of each one, didn't have to use any other discs other than a roc and a sole, did use a teebird on the first hole, the longest by far on the course. Back 9 is good to work on your putter driving game, definitely lacked obstacles though.
Other Thoughts: Easy to get too, i was wanting to get in rounds quick so it did the job, in town visiting and will check Richmond Hill for more of a challenge.

2-4    10/31/2011   10/31/2011
Review By: roadtrip
Pros: Close to the highway, easy to navigate, very quick rounds. Fun layout. Front 9 are all shortie holes with obstacles (trees, a river), Back 9 (walk under the hwy to get there) are all open. Nice variety on all of these (rights, lefts, skippers, tight shots, open shots, etc). Very scenic and serene. This is a great course to stop and warm-up on when you're headed to Richmond Hill. The back 9 seems uninspired but it's well maintained and it's good use of such a small area. Fairways were mowed short when I played, and the rough is manageable - no lost discs in this tall-grass. There are two tees for most holes and the back 9 at least plays up/down hills and incorporates the mtn/hwy wind.
Cons: Signs and tee pads could be better.
There are walking trails throughout the course, so please beware of dog-walkers and families.
Other Thoughts: The last reviewer summed it up pretty well - this course is between a 2.5 and a 3; I chose 3 because I wanted to improve the rating instead of hurting it. The best way to look at this course is a very easy, quick, scenic walk. No huge drives, just a bunch of shortie woods holes on the front 9 and open holes on the back. Hole 9 is unique to look at but a relatively easy throw over a bridge.

There are tons of shortie courses close to highways, this is one I'd actually recommend. Not a destination course, but a really nice warm-up course. If you're with buddies, it's mostly ace runs and then making your putts. Also a good course if you're traveling with non-golfers (significant others, kids, dogs, etc)

Surprisingly fun

1    10/20/2011   10/23/2011
Review By: mikeyg
Pros: I was pleasantly surprised by how fun this course was to play. The front 9 was basically like a pitch and putt but was technical enough to require a variety of throws. The holes had clever designs and used the creek that came into play well. The back 9 was basically wide open but added some elvation changes.
Cons: Over all the back 9 was a littel bit lacking but from what I understand it was added afterwards. There really weren't any signs to help with navigation but it was relatively easy for the most part. The recently changed the layout of the back 9 a bit and after I think it was hole 13 the numbers on the tees don't match the numbers on the baskets. If I remember correctly, tee 14 throws at pin 15 and so on. the course was very windy, which i am told is the norm. Also, the close proximity to the highway took a little away from the experience.
Other Thoughts: I was trying to decide whether to give this course a 2.5 or a 3. Ultimately, because I had fun playing the course I wanted to improve its overall rating a little rather than make it worse. While I only threw an even round, I attribute that to it being my first time and wind blown putts. Overall I think just about every hole is a possible birdie.

Love it!

5+    12/2/2011   5/12/2011
Review By: ashevillain
This review was updated on 12/26/2011
Pros: - I love the front 9 although I loved the old original 9 even more (see other thoughts). The carpeted tees here seem to not be nearly as slick as the the ones at Richmond Hill. Easy flow to the course for the most part and the signage is plentiful enough.

- One of my favorite holes ever is #2 (old #5) where you have to throw over the Swannanoa River. Also I like the way they did #9 so you can see the basket through the culvert. If they really wanted to making this hole challenging it could be made into a mando under the bridge.

- I'm conflicted on how to address the back 9. On one hand I'm glad there are 18 holes now but on the other hand the back 9 holes aren't the best or most creative.

- I recently played the white tees for the first time using only a putter and playing them as par 2's. I have to recommend you to do this if you are getting burned out on the blue tees. It's a nice change of pace throwing slightly different shots. It's still challenging if you make them par 2's plus almost every hole is a potential ace.
Cons: - It's kind of awkward how the course doubles back on itself after #5 and #18

- You have to walk back across #2. I always find myself peeking around the opening in trees so I don't get hit with a disc coming from the #2 tee since they can't see you either and some people will throw to the left of that big tree instead of throwing to the right of it and over the river.

- After you finish #18 you walk back under the interstate and past the basket for #9 and you can't really see if anyone is throwing from the #9 tee so you need to be aware!

- I wish the back 9 played downstream on the opposite side of the river (starting on the other side of the footbridge...parallel to the front 9).

- As of 12/26/11 some of the carpeted tees have started to settle or warp or something. Most of them are really bumpy...a couple of them (#10 comes to mind) are pretty dangerous as far as rolling/twisting/breaking and ankle. Also, IMO almost all of the tees on the back 9 are too short.

- There's lots of idiotic ace tagging of the baskets. Seriously, please stop this. It looks trashy. And, no, I do not believe that "Ramrod" has aced every hole out there.
Other Thoughts: My favorite was the old configuration. The tee for #1 used to be under the bridge between current #9 and #10 and the course followed the river downstream. The original #9 ended on the opposite side of the baseball fields (near the entrance to the park). If you continue to follow the river after #4 you can still see where the old tees (little blue concrete circles) and baskets were. The new #1, #2, #3, #4 correspond to the old #4, #5, #6, #7. The other 5 holes on the front 9 are totally different. The front 9 had to be redone following flooding which washed away some of the river banks.

[/waxing nostalgic]

One of my favorites...as a 9 holer

5+    1/7/2011   1/7/2011
Review By: topflight
Pros: You can play 9 holes is 20 minutes. I love the front original 9, the back 9 are not my favorites although you can air it out some. Tight and technical, plenty of ace runs and risk asyou play around the swannanoa river.
Cons: small feel to the course, the back 9 are not fun.
Other Thoughts: great place to learn, to take the kids or just play a relaxing fun round. certainly worth the stop if you are in the area.

Lots of fun. Jealous of the locals!

1    10/23/2010   10/25/2010
Review By: johnnyfoodstamp
Pros: The nicest signage I've ever seen. Multiple tee pads on most holes and nice over the water shots. Nice baskets. Lots of thought went into the course. Signature hole has to be 9. Shot over the road and you can see the basket through a pipe in the side of the road.
Cons: Probably too easy for the seasoned disc golfer. The back nine was a little plain but I imagine the rough in the summer is much worse.
Other Thoughts: The front nine plays like a beginner course, with more room to open up on the back nine. I scored a -2 so I know this has to be an easy course but still very worth it if in the area. You can really tell people love this place and take care of it. Not far from Asheville.

easy, good fun

5+    9/24/2010   9/29/2010
Review By: smiller
Pros: a fun little course through a pretty little park along the swannanoa river. the mountain views on the back 9 are beautiful. a nice mix of challenges; trees and water on the front nine, and longer throws on the back.
Cons: right next to i-40, there is considerable traffic noise on many of the holes.
Other Thoughts: this is my everyday course. the different types challenges presented by the front nine and the back nine keep it interesting. the front nine with the trees and water, and the back nine with some longer throws. Aced 18 last time out! i wouldn't drive too far to visit this one, but if you are in asheville or driving by on I-40, do it!

A Tale of 2 Nines

5+    11/21/2009   9/27/2010
Review By: Olorin
This review was updated on 5/30/2011
Pros:
*I like the creek that comes into play on 3 holes on the front 9 and on hole 10. The wooded holes on the front 9 are rather nice.
*Navigation is pretty straight forward.
*I think that the drain pipe in the middle of hole 9 makes it kind of fun. It's like putt-putt in that you can take the safe route over the top or the shorter but much riskier route through the pipe.
*The tee signs are slightly above average. They're hand painted wood.
Cons:
-Most of the back 9 and some of the front 9 are too open for my taste.
-The front 9 is basically flat.
-Lack of fairway shape variety. The front 9 has 7 straight fairways. The back 9 does a little better with only 5 straight holes.
-Ambiance: The course is too close to I-40, so you sometimes hear interstate traffic noise.
-Safety issues. Hole 1 is too close to a soccer field and hole 9 is over an elevated park road.
-The tees on the back 9 are a bit too short.
My Rating = 3.5 out of 10, so on DGCR it's between a 1.5 and a 2.

Front 9 Course Level: Red (most suited for Juniors and Intermediate players rated 850)
Back 9 Course Level: White (most suited for Intermediate players rated 900.)

The front and back nines are very different from each other in topography, elevation changes, and length. The front 9 has some tight holes and the back is mostly open. The front 9 is flat, but the back 9 has some moderate elevation changes. You've got to take the land that you can get, but it feels like a shame that with all the mountains around the front 9 may be on one of the flattest pieces of land in the whole area.
~The back 9 tees are gravel covered with Astroturf. Not my favorite material but they work fine.
~There's a course map of the back 9 only.
~The front 9 is too short for my taste and the back 9 is too open.
Put it all together and the course just doesn't have that much drawing power for me. To give you the picture, every year I attend a conference in Black Mountain and I stay less than 5 minutes away from this course. Even though it's so close, I'd much rather drive over to Richmond Hill instead.

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course, on the day I played it, and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

~My more detailed "Overall Rating" notes and "Hole-by-hole Ratings" are available in the Files section.

I liked it

1    9/13/2010   9/13/2010
Review By: bsh301
Pros: Good use of what space was available, several water hazards(#2 had me wondering if I really wanted to throw from the blues). Yes,8 out of the front 9 are short; and the back 9 are totally different, but all in all it's a fun lil course if your passing thru.
Other Thoughts: I was driving thru the area while working, and decided to stop and give it a try; I'm glad I did.Thanks to the 3 locals that I played the last 12 with, it was alot of help with navigating the back 9. I'll definitly stop by the next time I'm in the area.