Black Mountain, NC
Black Mountain Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #12 (Taken 6/2009)
Hole #12 Long Tee

1 2 3 Next >
 Ace Runs and Park Jobs

1    6/27/2009   6/28/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- I gave this course a 2 because I don't know if I could give it more. It was fun as hell to play... but a little too short to be taken seriously.

Pros:
- There are a lot of birdies to be had here. Even bad shots will yield birdie putts. And, there are a lot of ace runs too. Although, to ace some of the holes here would be more like making a long birdie than an ace.
- The creek provides some danger on some of the holes. Definitely something to think about on the tee-pad if your not wanting to get wet.
- The course is now 18 holes... and the new back 9 play a little longer than the front.
- Great tee-pads. Astro-turf... and multiple tee-pads on every hole let players play to their skill level.
- This would be a great course to teach your kids or your girlfriend on.
- Easy to navigate for a first timer.
- And... this course is near the Pisgah Brewery. Good beer!
Cons:
- Although fun to play... This course is a little too short. Pitch and putt status.
- That's about all I can say that's bad about it - Too Short.
- They hold a few weekly events here. I hear they have a "one disc" weekly... which sounds fun because you can pretty much destroy this course with a putter.
- Bring 1 driver and 5 putters and go ace run crazy! If no one is behind you launch em all... you're bound to at least hit metal.
- My Score: -14

C = As average as the come for 9 holers

1    8/24/2007   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- C-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B+

Quick

1    12/20/2008   1/13/2009
Review By: backpackermike
Pros: This is a short course. If your limited on time you can play this pretty quick. Very pretty along the creek. There are places to start from for every skill level.
Cons: It is easy to put you disk in the creek if your a beginner. And it is deep. It would be nice for a swim in the summer. You can get in the way of other groups playing. The trail crosses some of the holes. Just pay attention.
Other Thoughts: If I'm in the area I'll play again.

Water, water everywhere

1    1/6/2009   1/6/2009
Review By: lukegardner
Pros: Hole 9 is hilarious and shows a good sense of humor - the pin is visible from the tee through a pipe under a pedestrian bridge!
Hole 2 is actually quite challenging, with a pretty high risk to reward ratio. If you screw up, you're going swimming as your disc will almost certainly land in the creek.
This course would be a great place to hone your skills as there is a decent variety of obstacles to get around: hallway-type tree setups, hyzer and anhyzer shots, some tees require a rather delicate touch.
You only have to cross your own tracks once, and the flow is logical. I had no trouble whatsoever finding the tees and pins. The signs were fairly clear about pin location.
Cons: The creek will be a problem for novice players, as it's located very close to most of the pins.
Too short. I don't remember anything being longer than 250 feet, though the alternate tees could certainly add a bit of challenge.
No elevation changes.
Alternate tees not clearly marked - but are they ever?
Tees were very, very muddy.
Other Thoughts: I played this course on a very rainy day, and the creek was rather deep. On the second hole I was unlucky enough to hit the giant tree over the creek - I had to wade in and grab my disc (which was, luckily, brightly colored even in the rather muddy water).

I'm not sure exactly who this course is for. It's short, but not exactly appropriate for novice players (though it's certainly easier than the nearby Richmond Hill).

This course seems like it could have decent replay value - I was definitely trying to avoid the creek and that hampered my shots a bit, but I'd love to play this again after I've had my fill of Richmond Hill.

Dan Kilgore

1    10/29/2008   11/11/2008
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: SHORT, this is good for the novice player and even this advanced player seeking to add a quick course to his resume, I want to know the odds of throwing your only drive (possibly I'll ever throw at this course) into the drainage pipe that (if you look through) you can see # 9's basket from the tee. And what are the odds of making your birdie shot from lying down in the pipe?? Well I didn't make my birdie shot, but I did lay in the pipe for a possible birdie shot. What are the odds???

I like # 2 shooting over the bend of the creek (I'm glad I didn't know how deep the creek was that I was throwing over). and I LOVED # 9. GREAT IMAGINATION here and hopefully other Disc Golf course designers and park departments can duplicate with LARGER Drainage pipes.
Cons: Most every basket is near water. I didn't see any snakes, but I wasn't looking for them either and I didn't really challenge myself of throwing at the baskets as they we're next to the water on most every hole. So I played par DG.
Other Thoughts: I loved the pipe (dream, yes I guess I was dreaming of making a birdie while lying in this pipe)

eh....

1    10/4/2006   9/23/2008
Review By: chris deitzel
Pros: It's a 9-hole course in an area that did not have much disc golf in the area back in the area from the 90's - early 2000's. The course is not friendly for beginners with the water and not challenging for experts.
Cons: Snakes....scary looking snakes. Weird hole designs. The water is deep on the 2nd hole, and not good for beginners. And as a pro, I was not challenged at all.
Other Thoughts: I would not make a special trip to play here. If you are nearby, then maybe you should play it, but otherwise, drive somewhere else to play.

Putt & Play

5+    8/1/2010   7/29/2008
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
This review was updated on 8/2/2010
Pros: Very pretty surroundings with the moutain backdrop. Good 'short game' course on the front 9 with some play through the woods. More open & long on the back 9. Very casual course. Slight elevation comes into play on some holes on the back nine. Good long walk but no heavy hiking. Water (OB) comes into play on many holes. New tee signs & tee boxes (back 9). They've added a few more new benches. The back 9 adds balance to a good course as the holes are open & generally longer.
Cons: Dirt tee boxes on the front 9 are average. Can get muddy in winter or rains. Very small, short, elevated tee pads on the back 9 make it hard to get a good run up. Could use concrete (my preference). There is some chance of cross over play as some opposing fairways are next to each other (especially on the front 9). In the summer, watch out for yellow jacket & wasp nests. High grass in the fairways can result in a lost disc on errant throws.
Other Thoughts: You could easily take a beginner or a family to this course. Very user friendly. For the space they have they have got a nice little course set up here. The front 9 plays very quickly so a lunch time round would be easy.

1 2 3 Next >