Black Mountain, NC
Hole #9 Short Tee

2-4    8/24/2009   8/25/2009
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 11/15/2010
Pros: Beautiful location with mountains as a perfect backdrop. Nice creek that runs along several holes on the front 9. I'd hate having to fish a disc out of the water in the middle of winter. Back 9 plays mostly in a wide open field.
- Front 9 plays on one side of I-40, back 9 on the other side. Front nine plays in the park; back nine is disc golf only. Easy transition from the front to back.
- Great, descriptive tee signs. You can tell a lot of effort went into them.
- Some very cool, unique hole layouts. I loved #9 where you can see the basket through a drain pipe that runs under a bridge, but you have to throw over & around the bridge to get to the basket. I wonder if anyone has ever thrown a tee shot through the pipe or how many have gotten a disc stuck in their attempting to do so. I've also never had to throw around a billboard 30 feet from an interstate before - hole #17.
- Lots of shorter holes mean plenty of chances to make ace runs. Even the longer holes are mostly open, so you can be aggressive for potential birdies.
Cons: Tee pads are hurting. Some are dirt, which is okay because most of those holes aren't long. The other tees are artificial grass boxes, which are only about half as long as they need to be. I couldn't get a full X-step run up on any of the artificial tee pads. The tee pads were also raised up several inches off the ground, which could result in a twisted ankle if not careful.
- The tunnel between the front and back 9 needs a complete guardrail. You can also tell it probably floods pretty easy, so I don't know how easy it would be to access the back 9 if the tunnel is inaccessible.
- Most of the front 9 weaves in and around a walking trail. I played on a slow Monday afternoon, but even then, I had to wait 3 times for walkers to move by before I could throw. I'm sure this is much more of a problem when the course is busier, like on weekends.
- Holes 3 - 5 are essentially the same hole. They're all BHLH throws in the 150 foot range all in a cramped, little part of the park. The whole front really is cramped together in a small part of the park. Now that the course is 18 holes, I would really like to see more use of the land to make some longer, tougher holes on the front 9.
- The back 9 is mostly in an open field. When I first walked out from the tunnel, I saw a bunch of baskets in this open field. Without a map, it'd be really hard to navigate the back 9 without throwing to wrong baskets. Also a note on several holes on the back 9. On #11, the basket is really close to a vegetable garden in somebody's backyard. On #13, you're throwing near, or through, the backyard of an abandoned house to the basket.
Other Thoughts: All in all, the course seems like it may still be a work in progress. The kinks on the back 9 are still being worked out. Better/longer tee pads are a must.
- As mentioned above, now that this is an 18-hole course, it would be great if some of the holes on the front 9 got a makeover, improving the overall quality.
- On the back 9, the fairways and paths between one basket to the next tee are cut grass. Everything else (the rough) is taller grass. As long as the grass is constantly kept short, this strategy will work. If not, it's going to make things more difficult.
- Overall, the front 9 is nothing special. It felt like every small town 9 hole course. As mentioned above, I was surprised the back 9 was better, and more enjoyable than I would have expected.
- I feel a 2.0 is a slight bit generous, especially with the problems noted and the lack of overall difficulty. Still, I was able to manage to play a quick, enjoyable round on my way out of town. It's good that the Asheville area now has a second 18 hole course. And with a course at UNC-A being installed, the area is taking major steps to improving its DG scene.

Open and shut

1    8/17/2009   8/18/2009
Review By: masonrph2
Pros: Terrific variety. Legitimate chance for an ace on 13 holes. Multiple tee pads change hole angles and strategy. Plenty of variety.
Cons: Almost too short. Longest hole 325. Can be crowded.
Other Thoughts: Front nine short and tight with some water. Back quite open with most trouble on sides or behind hole. The most fun to play in the Asheville area.

Simple, yet satisfying

1    7/24/2009   7/26/2009
Review By: Tin Machine
Pros: The setting itself is quite nice. Nestled in the mountains, the Front 9 has a handful of interesting water hazards including great one on Hole 2. There are lots of possible ace runs which can be fun. All in all, a short and relaxing course with a little bit of character.
Cons: For those of you looking to test your limitations, this is probably not the place for you unless you're a beginner. The Back 9 is a bit too open for the most part. Because the Back 9 is relatively new, the thick undergrowth around the holes can be a real pain thanks to briars.
Other Thoughts: This is the perfect course to play if you find yourself bored with just an hour or two to spare. You can show up, play a round, maybe get that ace, and be home in time for dinner without being too worn out.

Something for everyone

5+    7/17/2009   7/20/2009
Review By: El Oso Peligroso
This review was updated on 11/24/2009
Pros: This is a short course done well. The lengths may not be impressive but the shots usually are. Excellent use of trees on the front nine to form fairways. There's always a fair line, and it's usually somewhat forgiving but they're definitely not 'gimmes' either.

The ace runs and personal record runs are really addictive for me.
Cons: The back 9 could use some more trees. A few of those holes are pretty open, but usually compensate with elevation changes and OB. Still, the holes could all be a bit more exciting on the back nine.

Definitely not a course for showing off your new distance driver, as only no.1 and no. 16 break 300 ft. and many are under 200.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course for practicing your short game as it contains some good precision approach shots and won't tire you out after a single round. It is the perfect cure for a bruised ego from Richmond Hill. It's short, but it's definitely sweet.

Updated review of the full 18

5+    7/5/2012   7/4/2009
Review By: splatbaseball51
This review was updated on 9/29/2014
Pros: The course is located in a well maintained county park and is split between two sides of I-40.

The course started as a 9-hole pitch and put type course with 2 holes allowing you to open up a little with more than a putter. It has since expanded to 18 holes, but they are distinctly different in character.

The front 9 (original) allows you to hurl a driver in a flat field for hole 1, but then slams on the brakes as holes 2-9 require little more than a putter or midrange.The high probability for an ace will keep you playing. Hole 2 is a really cool hole with the basket perched in the river bend, forcing you to throw a hyzer over the river and hope it bends back enough. Hole number 9 is a one of a kind hole, however i don't see how anyone would expect to run it through the drain. The front nine, while all mostly short, still requires a little technical precision to be mastered, so don't think it's a walk in the park.

The back 9 is a mostly open, longer affair with the chance to pull those drivers back out that you stashed away earlier. Water is only in play on 10, however you'll need to be wary of the woods line as you finish up on the last 3 holes.

The course utilizes the water hazards well and number 2 might be a hole you remember for while (signature). Navigating between holes is very intuitive, so you shouldn't worry about getting lost. Just know when you finish hole 9, you walk UNDER the interstate to get to hole 10.

Cons: The course isn't very challenging. The only technical shots required, you'll do so with a putter.

More could be done with the back 9. The majority of holes are in an open field with little to no elevation change. There also isn't any additional hazard in the back such as water (only on hole 10). Sure it may be a little longer than the front, but you'll probably post a lower score on the back.
Other Thoughts: This course is so close to the interstate (literally underneath it!) that it would probably be a mistake to skip over it when driving through. If it were located further away I wouldn't tell you to go play it. A fairly average course that is OK with wearing that title. I used to be a local with Richmond Hill in my backyard and I still managed to come out to play Black Mountain fairly often. The local club is very active in the community so you'll easily be able to find people to go play with.

Ace Runs and Park Jobs

1    6/27/2009   6/28/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- I gave this course a 2 because I don't know if I could give it more. It was fun as hell to play... but a little too short to be taken seriously.

Pros:
- There are a lot of birdies to be had here. Even bad shots will yield birdie putts. And, there are a lot of ace runs too. Although, to ace some of the holes here would be more like making a long birdie than an ace.
- The creek provides some danger on some of the holes. Definitely something to think about on the tee-pad if your not wanting to get wet.
- The course is now 18 holes... and the new back 9 play a little longer than the front.
- Great tee-pads. Astro-turf... and multiple tee-pads on every hole let players play to their skill level.
- This would be a great course to teach your kids or your girlfriend on.
- Easy to navigate for a first timer.
- And... this course is near the Pisgah Brewery. Good beer!
Cons:
- Although fun to play... This course is a little too short. Pitch and putt status.
- That's about all I can say that's bad about it - Too Short.
- They hold a few weekly events here. I hear they have a "one disc" weekly... which sounds fun because you can pretty much destroy this course with a putter.
- Bring 1 driver and 5 putters and go ace run crazy! If no one is behind you launch em all... you're bound to at least hit metal.
- My Score: -14

C = As average as the come for 9 holers

1    8/24/2007   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- C-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B+

Quick

1    12/20/2008   1/13/2009
Review By: backpackermike
Pros: This is a short course. If your limited on time you can play this pretty quick. Very pretty along the creek. There are places to start from for every skill level.
Cons: It is easy to put you disk in the creek if your a beginner. And it is deep. It would be nice for a swim in the summer. You can get in the way of other groups playing. The trail crosses some of the holes. Just pay attention.
Other Thoughts: If I'm in the area I'll play again.

Water, water everywhere

1    1/6/2009   1/6/2009
Review By: lukegardner
Pros: Hole 9 is hilarious and shows a good sense of humor - the pin is visible from the tee through a pipe under a pedestrian bridge!
Hole 2 is actually quite challenging, with a pretty high risk to reward ratio. If you screw up, you're going swimming as your disc will almost certainly land in the creek.
This course would be a great place to hone your skills as there is a decent variety of obstacles to get around: hallway-type tree setups, hyzer and anhyzer shots, some tees require a rather delicate touch.
You only have to cross your own tracks once, and the flow is logical. I had no trouble whatsoever finding the tees and pins. The signs were fairly clear about pin location.
Cons: The creek will be a problem for novice players, as it's located very close to most of the pins.
Too short. I don't remember anything being longer than 250 feet, though the alternate tees could certainly add a bit of challenge.
No elevation changes.
Alternate tees not clearly marked - but are they ever?
Tees were very, very muddy.
Other Thoughts: I played this course on a very rainy day, and the creek was rather deep. On the second hole I was unlucky enough to hit the giant tree over the creek - I had to wade in and grab my disc (which was, luckily, brightly colored even in the rather muddy water).

I'm not sure exactly who this course is for. It's short, but not exactly appropriate for novice players (though it's certainly easier than the nearby Richmond Hill).

This course seems like it could have decent replay value - I was definitely trying to avoid the creek and that hampered my shots a bit, but I'd love to play this again after I've had my fill of Richmond Hill.

Dan Kilgore

1    10/29/2008   11/11/2008
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: SHORT, this is good for the novice player and even this advanced player seeking to add a quick course to his resume, I want to know the odds of throwing your only drive (possibly I'll ever throw at this course) into the drainage pipe that (if you look through) you can see # 9's basket from the tee. And what are the odds of making your birdie shot from lying down in the pipe?? Well I didn't make my birdie shot, but I did lay in the pipe for a possible birdie shot. What are the odds???

I like # 2 shooting over the bend of the creek (I'm glad I didn't know how deep the creek was that I was throwing over). and I LOVED # 9. GREAT IMAGINATION here and hopefully other Disc Golf course designers and park departments can duplicate with LARGER Drainage pipes.
Cons: Most every basket is near water. I didn't see any snakes, but I wasn't looking for them either and I didn't really challenge myself of throwing at the baskets as they we're next to the water on most every hole. So I played par DG.
Other Thoughts: I loved the pipe (dream, yes I guess I was dreaming of making a birdie while lying in this pipe)