Independence, KY

< Prev 1 2 3
Picturesque in Northern KY

1    10/21/2012   10/21/2012
Review By: amryan11
Pros: -good signage at each hole, all intact as of this review except for one
-some holes have multiple tee pads and basket locations
-undergrowth is limited so discs aren't tough to find
-water features, elevation changes, and woods add challenge and interest
-benches and garbage cans on just about all the holes
-excellent use of space with 24 interesting holes
Cons: -can be muddy around the creek, but this is only a problem if you make a bad shot, and is to be expected
-depending on how much energy you have, 24 holes of elevation change can be tiring
-no next tee signs, can be somewhat confusing
-despite 2 ponds on this course, neither is really a risk unless you make a pretty terrible shot, they could be incorporated better
Other Thoughts: This is very picturesque course, especially in the fall with the leaves changing. The creek running through the course adds some challenge, and while none of the holes are impossible many are quite challenging and force you to make the right shot. This is a good intermediate course that allows some forgiveness but still requires some skill. It's a lot of fun and has tons of elevation change- bring your hiking boots. It probably gets overlooked with Idlewild just a few miles away but this is a very respectable course in its own right. It's definitely one worth playing. If it's your first (or second) time, I strongly recommend bringing a map, navigation can be difficult.

Grains of sand tickle my nose

1    11/24/2011   10/20/2012
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Personal Rank: 109

Good solid fun without being overly challenging or punishing. Nearly every hole is deuceable, but that doesn't mean it's easy - hit your line and you will be rewarded, miss your line and you might have a look at a par save. Use of elevation and heavily wooded areas with some thick rough make for a fun variety of shots that makes this course enjoyable many times through. I definitely enjoy a round at Lincoln Ridge as a great compliment to its neighbor, Idlewild and the other Cincy courses makes for a great destination area.

I highly recommend this area and this course for anybody traveling by or looking for a weekend destination area of great disc golf.
Other Thoughts: After playing 1000 courses, I'm excited to share my opinion on some of my favorites. My top 100+ list can be found on my blog, my favorites list is at 110 of 1020 as of writing this review. Of all courses played, the top 1.5% receive a rating of 5, down to 6% is a 4.5, and 15% is a 4.0 creating a bell curve distribution. I apologize that my reviews are not as detailed as they have been previously. I have included the details as to why this course stands out to the best that my memory serves.

My personal criteria is very subjective, a gut feeling:
~Physical beauty stands out, both scenery and the beauty of each hole.
~Amenities don't mean much to me, it doesn't much matter if there's benches, concrete tee pads, or garbage cans.
~Technical design - How well designed are the fairways/airways and landing areas? Are there unique holes that stand out? Variety of holes - distances, shapes, elevation, tree density, rough thickness. Pars 4 and 5?
~I love extreme/adventure golf. Rugged and secluded courses stand out more than park style courses. In general I prefer more technical over more open.
~Local Scene. If I was involved in a tournament or league or met up with some locals and played the course multiple times I appreciate different aspects of a course.

Thank you, enjoy my reviews and if you don't find this information helpful, please let me know what I can do to improve.

Beautiful, Fun, and Hilly

1    5/5/2012   7/21/2012
Review By: BearClaw
Pros: excellent mix of terrain
*great elevation changes
*course situated away from other park activities
*found the course easy to navigate with map
* great concrete tee pads with signs
*local player helped find TWO of my discs
*beautiful creek holes
*lots of fun to play holes and shots
*well maintained
*cute bridges and benches throughout
Cons: *Longest hole is only 516
*Only 1 hole besides longest is over 400
*While holes 14-16 by the creek are scenic and can be very fun to play because of the gorge they can also be dangerous and easy to fall on
*the elevation on other holes can make it very difficult disc diving should you go into some brush on a hill
*only a couple holes with multiple tees
*the extension holes could use more variety
Other Thoughts: Some of the steep parts are super fun just walking around on and even more fun to through from but can present a safety hazard so be careful out there! Many of the area players I talked to about this course (I called it by its current name, Lincoln Ridge Park, while the locals seemed to prefer calling it Old Bancklick or just BanckLick) expressed frustration over hole 14 mainly that its too easy to shoot into the out of bounds creek. I actually talked to a guy at Idelwild who said he would never play Bancklick again because of that 1 hole! I thought it was a fun hole but agree that it seems incredibly difficult to land inbounds and might be a touch on the short side. I believe a second, long tee pad would work perfectly for hole 14 and I think that if they added them wherever there was room longer tee pads would give you much more room to stretch out your throwing arm. While the course was one of the most fun and scenic courses I've ever played and adding more long tee pads and changing the extension holes is the only way right now I could I imagine the course getting better and deserving a 5 rating. I will absolutely play this course again the next time I am in N. Kentucky or S. Ohio and would highly recommend it for people of any disc golf skill level as long as hey can safely navigate steep hills.

Great Course

2-4    2/29/2012   3/11/2012
Review By: Gonzo86
This review was updated on 3/13/2012
Pros: Great over all course.
Long drives and challenging putts all around.
The fairways in the wooded areas are just big enough for you to feel comfortable really putting some energy into your drives.
Cons: Some tee pads are cracking apart a tiny bit.
Some holes do play along a water hazard. These aren't too bad now but given some time and spring rain the water level will rise and make it hard to collect discs.
A little bit of trash is collecting in the low area, but its still early in the year and weather has been bad.
Other Thoughts: If you get a chance to play here you must. Its worth the drive.

Banklick

5+    11/25/2011   11/29/2011
Review By: richardmmill
Pros: Challenging course with a variety of holes.
The baskets were all in good condition.
Concrete teepads poured well, big enough and level.
Nice Tee signs gives a clear read of the hole. Another good thing is they clearly list what is OB and what is not such as a few holes that have casual water that is not OB.
Flow of the course is good. No unnecessary long or hard to find routes.
Foliage was well maintained.
Course does use some nice elevation changes and dynamics. Like several steep down hill holes and a nice long fair way that banks along a steep down hill to the right on #10.
Good variety of types of shots needed.
Cons: There is some interference with walking/hiking trails. Doesn't bother me to much but there is always a little concern for safety. On #15 we had to wait for a walker on a trail which is the fairway the whole distance of the hole and the next hole uses the same trail for its fairway.
The last few holes always feel like they were just thrown in to "complete" the course. #22 and #23 just throw back and forth in a field with a small pond/marsh separating the fairways. #24 the longest hole throws from high up down to the basket it always feels like it was just stuck in the middle of the course. A lack of flow, throwing away from the beginning toward a previous played teepad and another teepad. After the hole is completed you have a long walk up hill to the parking lot after playing 24 holes. Not major just a lack of flow after the rest of the course was pretty smooth.
Other Thoughts: One thing that is nice about this course is it is a challenge and step up for most beginners and is still accessable whereas a course like idlewild is really not.
Even though there is a good variety of holes there is not really any one hole that sticks out.

Beautifully showing it's age.

5+    6/25/2011   7/18/2011
Review By: InnocentCrook
Pros: One of the best maintained parks I've ever been to. Kenton County Parks Dept. does an amazing job keeping this course in good shape. Wood chips are typically always refreshed when needed because they keep a huge pile on hand. (You can usually see it on the walk between holes 4 and 5.) This alone makes the wooded holes very nice to play because they usually drain well and don't get very muddy. Grass is always mowed in a timely manner.

The course features some beautifully varied terrain including everything from tight and wooded to wide open fields and everything in between. You are constantly moving up and down the rolling hills. The course also plays in and out of the woods every few holes which is nice. Most of the wooded holes are very secluded with number 6 being my favorite hole to stop and have a quick snack and just enjoy being outdoors in the woods before I tackle the rest of the round.

Excellent shot variety. Though it may favor righties a bit more, there are still plenty of holes that are more lefty friendly (6, 15, 17, and 18 come to mind). Many of the wooded holes have multiple lines to the basket, you just have to look for them. For the most part, the open holes are friendly to both left and right handed throwers. A handful of holes have multiple pin locations and several even have additional tee pads that drastically change the hole.

Very good course for a large variety of skill levels. I've come a long way since I first started playing and this course still delivers the fun factor every time out. After all the rounds here, it has yet to get the least bit boring.

Baskets are in good shape and there is a practice basket across the entrance to the parking lot from tee #1 and the info board.

Benches and full size garbage cans (emptied frequently) on almost every hole. The garbage cans really help keep the place clean and tidy. Very rarely will you see trash on the course.
Cons: Seeing as how this course is 30 years old, it is starting to show some signs of its age. Some teepads are cracked and uneven, though not unplayable, and there are some areas where erosion is becoming an issue. (Especially the holes down near the creek. 14-16) The railroad tie steps from 14 to 15 are uneven and the ones down to the creek are about useless at this point as many have slipped away.

As others have said, holes 22 and 23 don't compare favorably to the rest of the course. They aren't awful holes, just not up to the level of the rest of the course. They would be more comparable to many holes at Boone Woods Park, with just a bit more elevation. The reviewer who mentioned that it wouldn't be as noticeable if they weren't back to back was spot on. Some strategic tree planting and/or landscaping could greatly improve these two holes in the future.

This is definitely one of the most popular courses in the area and as such can be very busy during peak hours.
Other Thoughts: I've probably played this course over a hundred times because my permanent address is about a 10 minute drive to the park. My wife is a travel nurse now, so I'm moving around the country every few months or so. That said, anytime I'm back home I always make a point to play this course and Idlewild as many times as possible.

Might be a struggle if you're out of shape as many of the hills are very steep and you are constantly going up and down. Bring a light snack and plenty of water. I can't say that's a con, just the way it is.

I can only imagine how much of a beast this course must have been back in the early eighties when it was designed. New disc technologies have certainly tamed some of the longer holes to an extent and as such some of the marked pars are a bit high.

Over all, it's a great park with some nice hiking trails, sand volleyball, a baseball field, a soccer field, a couple playgrounds, picnic shelters, and restrooms open seasonally. (The parks dept. usually has a port-o-let set up in the winter which is nice.) Vending machine with drinks located at the front corner of the parking lot.

Greater Cincinnati is very lucky to have such a nice collection of courses. Along with the parks departments and a great club(GCFDA) that helps keep them in excellent shape. If you're in the area I'd also recommend Idlewild, Mt. Airy Forest, & Monroe Community Park.

The Marathon gas station at the corner of Turkeyfoot Rd. and Independence Station Rd. usually has a very small selection of Innova discs but they are pretty expensive. I'd hit up Disc N' Dat in Florence for any necessary disc related purchases. Good prices and selection, and Dan the owner is an all around great guy who does a lot in the local disc golf scene.

Loved It.

1    3/12/2011   4/24/2011
Review By: roadtripstuff
Pros:
Practice Basket
Concrete Tee Pads
24-Holes
Both Open and Wooded Holes
Good Use of Elevation
Well-Maintained (Tees and Signs Need Work)
Multiple Pin Positions
Bathrooms On-Site
Very Scenic
Great for All Skill Levels
Plays Away From Other Park Users
Cons:
Needs More Shot Types (Many RHBH Hyzers)
Some Tee Signs Are Damaged or Missing
Navigation Can Be Hard For First-Timers
Alt. Tees Aren't Marked and Hard to Find
Some Tees Are Cracked and Uneven
Erosion is Starting to Become an Issue
Lincoln Ridge, formerly Banklick, is a great 24-hole course located in a very well maintained county park. In Addition to the great course the park also has playgrounds, baseball and soccer fields, hiking trails, and restrooms on-site.

Once you enter the park you will see the practice basket and parking on the right. The first tee pad is located across the parking lot from the practice basket right beside the information board.

I do recommend printing a map or acquiring a guide if you are a first-timer as there are a couple tricky walks between some holes and also a few blind holes. The first, as previously mentioned, is between holes 4 and 5. From hole 4 continue past the basket and across the parking lot and you will see the tee pad for 5 just on the other side of the lot. It starts to get a little confusing after hole 13 when you enter the woods again, but like I said print a map or grab a local if at all possible, and you should have no problems.

The course itself is great. I think a variety of skill levels could enjoy the course. It could be a real challenge for novice and intermediate while still being fun for both advanced and open players as well. The course has a nice balance of open to wooded holes, but could use a little more variety in shot types as many go left off the tee making it very RHBH friendly.

I only have a couple of complaints on this course. The first is the tee signs. Many are damaged or missing and the alternate tees are not marked at all, making it very hard to find the correct tee. While this doesn't really hurt the play of the course too much, it definitely detracts some points that courses with nicer and complete tee signs will get. Another issue the course has are some of the tee pads being cracked and uneven making footing unsure and even dangerous in some cases. While these things are detractors they definitely aren't worth missing this great course over.

Overall this is one of the better courses I have played and I recommend it to anyone in the greater Cincinnati area. With all the amenities and 24-holes you could easily spend the entire day discing or bring the family and make it an outing they can all enjoy.

Bank Lick

1    10/9/2010   10/14/2010
Review By: SmoothSailor
This review was updated on 10/15/2010
Pros: This course utilized every inch of space they had available to them. The course is super well maintained, trash buckets on just about every hole (maybe every hole?). Plenty of variation of shots and fairways throughout the course.

The wooded holes are EXTREMELY wooded and the open holes are OPEN. There are some obstacles on the open holes and there are definitive fairways on the wooded holes, but each has their own way of making errant shots cost the player.

Memorable holes (for me):
Hole 3. I was able to skip off the road with my backhand and land within 60 feet for an easy 3.

Hole 7. Watch how your disc kicks off the trees on this hole. Mine kicked high and to the right and ended up farther away from the pin than the tee pad I drove from.

Hole 16. About 150ft on the left, I kicked off a tree straight down into the ground. Upon walking up to where we both saw the disc hit the ground we didn't see anything. After 20 minutes of looking, it was under a pile of leaves less than a foot from the tree. I liked the elevated basket placement as it turned my saved 3 into a wasted 4.

Hole 20. This shot was either an accurate shot through a small alley between what looked like 100 trees on either side, or over the top with a spike hyzer to avoid any rollback into the woods. I took the rhfh spike hyzer route and ended up planting less than 30ft from the pin.

Hole 21. I threw the rhfh again on this hole trying to hook out and spike into the wooded area near the pin. I ended up releasing early and smacked into the building to the right of the fairway. I watched my disc fall and thought it stopped, but after picking up my bag and walking 10 feet I see this blue blur rolling down the hill toward the pond (it landed in a bush).
Cons: The pond near hole 22 is nothing to go swimming in. If you lose your disc, I hope you have a retriever or a spare shower.

Other Thoughts: This course was beautiful and treated me well for my first play. I'll definitely be back to play this year.

Great course

1    4/23/2010   4/25/2010
Review By: Hitmetal
Pros: Beautiful, concrete tees, nice mix of long/short and open/tight holes. 24 holes. The pictures taken here are excellent and gives a good idea of what to expect. Real fun discgolf.
Other Thoughts: Great course. I feel it is one of the best in the area and beats Idlewild easily. I would play here all the time.

Great course overall

5+    9/1/2008   3/27/2010
Review By: racer93
Pros: Beautiful, nicely kept park. Great distance, enough to make you focus on accuracy and short enough to not make it all about max D. Great risk and reward course. This is the type of course that if you are patient and play smart, you will score well. But if you're aggressive at the wrong time, the course can spank you raw...
Cons: Original 18 were predominantly righty-biased. Now, there are a few lefty/RHFH holes. Can get jammed with supercasual players. Just stay away any sunny, Saturday afternoon when it's warm...
Other Thoughts: Just a classic course. Uses most, if not all shots in your bag.

< Prev 1 2 3