Independence, KY

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Tons of Fun!!!

1    11/16/2013   11/17/2013
Review By: dad_of_dg_junkies
Pros: The course is located in a gorgeous public park.
There is plenty of parking very near a practice basket and the first tee.
The park and the disc golf course are VERY well maintained. (short grass, no downed limbs and paths were neat).
The course strikes a very good balance of punishing poor shots while allowing well played shots to be rewarded with birdies or better.
One of my favorite aspects of this course is the number of times that the course allows you to bomb it off the tee.
Change in elevation is also a "Pro" on this course. There are holes that are listed that played as much as 100 ft short or longer than the scorecard distance due to elevation change.
We played every hole as a par 3 and hole 5-6 and 14-16 will challenge most disc golfers to make par.
After thinking about it, I played every disc in my bag during the round. That is always a PRO. The course while very open in some spots will also require some VERY precise shots on others. You will have to work the disc in both directions.
The course is VERY easy to follow. It was my first time playing it, and I didn't have any navigation problems. Signs were nice and accurate view of the holes.
I won't go into detail of each hole, that has been done very accurately by other reviews. All I will add is that each hole seemed very unique.
The 'FUN FACTOR" of this course is EXTREMELY high!
Cons: The only problem that I had with the course was the traction. When we played the course, it had rained the day before. Several of the tee boxes were very slick. There are also a couple of hills on the course that caused a lot of problems getting up and down due to being very slick.
Other Thoughts: I had tried to play this course 3 months ago, and didn't get the chance because of another event going on in the park. My persistence paid off this time. This is a great place to play disc golf. The scenery is awesome and the variety and challenge provide a great experience. Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild are a must play for anyone visiting this area. I would love to have a course like Lincoln Ridge in my city.

Great Course

5+    10/1/2013   10/19/2013
Review By: Rjmephillips115
Pros: This course is my personal favorite. It is a 24 hole course that is well taken care of. This course has shots that include downhill, uphill, dog leg left, dog leg right, and near water. I am not an expert player by any means, so this course is challenging to all levels of players. The park itself is very clean and up kept. I organize my company's picnic here every year because of its quality and activities that it provides.
Cons: The only con that I see that this course has is when walking from hole 14 to 15. The steps could be repaired or replaced. It is a very steep area and can bed dangerous when wet.
Other Thoughts: I like how on holes 1, 10, and 13 they change the placement of the baskets. I wish they would change the placement of other pins to give more of a variety. This course is probably the closes to perfect that I have been to.

High Fun Factor at Lincoln Ridge

1    9/24/2013   9/30/2013
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: -Located in a family-friendly park that has nice bathrooms, plenty of parking space, multiple playgrounds, soccer and baseball fields, multiple pavilions, and of course, disc golf. Lincoln Ridge is easy to get to off of I-71 and is located near a very nice golf course and neighborhood. It truly is in one of the most picturesque park settings I've played in and is very scenic in the woods and out in the open.
-Tee signs are in good shape, and tell you the pars, hole numbers, and lengths (except for 18 which is a hand-written tee sign). There are multiple tees on some of the holes, and 2-3 pin positions on every hole. The tees are long and wide concrete pads, while the baskets are Chainstar, have numbers on most of them, and are in good shape.
-This course is very well maintained and the grass is low on all the fairways. Also, the holes in the holes would normally be pretty rough, but there has been obvious steps to reduce this. It looks like the trees are often trimmed and the weed are often whacked, very much appreciated.
-Very friendly and helpful locals who volunteered to show me around the course and even helped me look for a lost disc without me asking.
-Only 20 minutes from Idlewild and 30 from Cincy courses

-Great variety of hole types and shots! It is split almost perfectly in three ways for hyzer, anhyzer, and straight shots and about 50/50 for wooded and more open shots. Use of elevation is one of the greatest aspects of this course and many holes (1, 2, 7, 14, 18, 20, and 24) offer pretty rapid elevation changes. Other holes play on slopes (3, 4, 5, 15, 16, 19, and 21). Also, this course allows you to bomb a few holes (1, 2, 11, 12, 13, 21, and 24) as well as play some very tight, technical shots (5-8 and 16-20). This course flowed very well as far as constantly changing from open to wooded and so on, not causing shots to seem repetitive and keeping the fun factor high. Water also comes into play on many of the holes, with a stream on the right of a steep slope from 14-16 and two separate ponds from 21-24.
-This is a great course to bring a beginner to, as there are multiple open shots, but they would get to see the technical side of the sport with the many wooded shots, and the fact that the water holes are fun but not very risky.
Cons: While Lincoln Ridge offers great variety and very fun, unique holes, there are certain aspects that hurt the course's overall rating a little bit.
-Navigation is a little rough at times, as some of the holes run back and forth to each other (I'm thinking of 11-13, 19-20 here). What makes it more difficult is that a few of the numbers on the baskets are worn off, so it makes it harder to figure out which basket belongs to which hole a few times. It would be helpful if there were more next tee signs and if the tee signs themselves pointed you in the right direction. It also got confusing after 21, where you have to cross the road and play the two holes around the smaller pond. I played 24 after 21because they are so close. A sign pointing across the road would also be helpful here.
-This course is over 30 years old, so a bunch of the tees are cracked (a bunch still being less than half though).
-Hole 2 plays dangerously close to the road.
-It was very crowded when I was there on a Tuesday evening. This bothered me because some of the holes plays close together, so discs were flying into my hole's fairway at times.
Other Thoughts: Lincoln Ridge truly has a high fun factor, with great variety of hole types, great use of elevation, and very scenic holes. While there weren't any throw-away holes here, some were pretty plain, even 1 or 2 in the woods. However, the best ones were unique, technical, and fun enough to give this course a 4.5 rating. My favorites were:

1- Great open downhill shot with a pin position in a tight corner of the woods
6- Very fun hyper then anhyzer that plays through a tight line in the woods, plays slightly uphill and has a tough pin position behind a few trees
7- Very fun tight downhill shot with a mango through 2 specific trees
13- A beautiful straight then anhyzer shot with the basket on a slope
14- Possibly my favorite hole on the course, extreme downhill shot that's goes left forces you to hyzer throughout a tight line of trees and then fade back to the right. Death putt scenario with the pin on a steep slope and the creek behind it.
20- Anny through a very tight line between trees. Plays downhill then uphill to the pin
24- Great way to end the course with a long downhill hyzer shot. Very picturesque shot

Took me 1 1/2 hours to play.

Lincoln Links

1    2/22/2013   6/22/2013
Review By: Jukeshoe
Pros: - Lincoln Ridge starts off in an unassuming manner. Park-style open grassy expanse playing slightly downhill to a pin just tucked into the edge of a small patch of woods. While the front nine does end up bringing some technical wooded golf into play, the real fun doesn't start until the back nine.
- Great use of elevation. #'s 14, 15, and 16 play down, and then along a pretty massive drop off down into a stream. Those agile enough to get down to the stream are faced with quite daunting shots back up. Where elevation is not quite as massive, it still comes into play very nicely and is used to its utmost effect.
- Water hazards. They're all fair; there aren't any water carries to worry about, but the risk of getting wet on errant shots is very very real. Again, #'s 14, 15 and 16 are the standout holes in this regard.
- Good amenities. Signage, next tee markers, tee pads, and baskets are all in fine shape. Dual tees on #'s 10, 16, 19, and 21 ease the difficulty for beginners while keeping difficult shots in place for more experienced ones.
- Mandos used to good effect. #16's green is protected by a tricky mando, and #8 has a double mando (if I remember correctly) forcing a tight run at the basket while taking away an easy hyzer route.
Cons: - The biggest drawback to Lincoln Ridge is the proximity of some holes to others. While nothing really overlaps, per se, there are definitely lots of opportunities for errant drives to land on other holes. The cluster of holes on the front nine (e.g., #'s 1, 2, and 9) is definitely the worst part of the design from a safety and course flow standpoint.
- The ridge holes definitely will not be easily traversed by those with mobility issues. I'm a fairly young, fit, mobile adult male used to adventure golf and still thought I was gonna bust my ass getting to the bottom.
Other Thoughts: - While not an objective criteria of course review, the fun factor at Lincoln Ridge is off the charts. Lesser players (such as myself) can still shoot decent rounds while being challenged throughout. More advanced players can certainly find lots of trouble if not totally on their game. The course does an outstanding design of being accessible to newer players while catering to those that have been around the block. Nothing gets crazy difficult, but there definitely aren't any holes you can relax on, either. A perfect warm-up course prior to Idlewild, but able to stand tall on its own merit fo' sho'.
- During my round, an animal control officer was sitting in the lot waiting to nab people for having their dog off leash. Beware if you choose to let your pet run free.

BEAUTIFUL COURSE!

1    5/25/2013   5/29/2013
Review By: sgamerp
This review was updated on 8/14/2013
Pros: Maintenance - This place was in great shape.

Shot Variety - Everything from Water, Elevation, distance
Tee Signs/Teepads - I think a few of the teesigns were missing, but have cement Teepads.

Beauty - The holes in the back 14-16 are some of the best looking wholes with the creek behind it (although can be dangerous for some)
Cons: Some of the holes in the back could be fairly dangerous from the creek.

the lack of 500+ holes could be a con for some however not for me.
Other Thoughts: Honestly, This makes my top 3 courses. It's very fun, and a great course to give you some pride without being too easy.

I honestly think the only reason I don't give this a 5 is because of how close it is to Idlewild. Personally I enjoy this course more than Idlewild, but Idlewild is the top course in over all golf.

Hole 15 is one of the best looking holes I have seen(late spring when I saw it)

I played with people who showed me around, so I noticed some people saying it was hard to find your way around, but I didn't notice that at all.

Very Close to Idlewild, it seems these two are a must play combo.

One of the most fun courses in D. Golf

5+    10/9/2012   12/15/2012
Review By: Aestheticflight
Pros: Fun Fun Fun. A blast for the pro...not too scary for a beginner . Beautiful park, well maintained, Interesting topography that is well utilized. Nice pads, Easy to follow even your first time. Nice mix of open holes and woods holes.One of my very favorite courses. A must play if you are in the area. (Idlewild is about 20 min away)
Cons: Can't really think of many. I suppose that if it is really wet out it could be a bit muddy on some of the woods holes. There is a fair amount of walking and the last 5 holes bring you up a fairly good sized hill so if you are not healthy or if you are impaired physically this may wear you out a bit. (but I like the hills). This course is fairly popular in the area so sometimes there can be lots of other golfers out. But this has never been too big of a problem for me.
Other Thoughts: Love this course, Great job by the park in caring for it.Great job by the designers. More courses should be like this one. On a good day a good golfer can shoot a 40 but could also shoot just a 52 if you are off a bit. I have witnessed some good players low scores on the front nine go brutally south on the back nine... Love this course.

Really good course

2-4    11/17/2012   11/27/2012
Review By: DG addict24
Pros: Lincoln Ridge is a nice park with a good course. It has all the shots, short and long, left and right, wooded and open, up and down. It also required a less spoken trait which is touch. On hole 14 if you're long you're done and even if your short you better not let it get on it's side. It has all the maintenance right, good teepads, good signs, good baskets, practice baskets, personally i found the teepads pretty easily and there were some people saying that was a problem. This was an all around great course.
Cons: There is just something that separates really good courses from great courses and this just didn't quite make it there. I played Idlewild the same day I played here and there was just something about it that I can't tell that made Idlewild better, that's why I couldn't give this a 5.
Other Thoughts: Lincoln Ridge Park was a great course that I really wish wasn't 4 hours away. I've played it twice and still don't feel like I've gotten it's experience in full, I think the more I play it the better it will get. (it felt better the 2nd time) I would wait and play it again before reviewing to get the full experience but I doubt I'll ever get the chance to play there again. But if I'm ever back in Northern KY I know where I'll be heading.

Everything I expected

1    10/27/2012   10/30/2012
Review By: Grungedude42
Pros: -Great variety of shots. Some long, some short, uphill, downhill, tunnels, open bombers, you name it.
-Approachable for newbies, and a challenge for experienced players. I played for the first time with my young inexperienced cousin, and my brother of similar experience as myself (10+ years). We all had a great time.
-Multiple static pin placements are great. Play to one basket, go back to the tee (as long as it's open, of course) and play to the other!
-Makes excellent use of the land. The holes spread out all around, and make use of the hills and creek to give some wonderful views from the tees.
-Beautiful scenery all the way from Turkeyfoot Rd. to the 24th basket. Even better in the fall.
Cons: -Lack of "next tee" signs make first time navigation a bit tricky without a guide. Luckily, the course map in the media files on an iPad solved that.
-One hole was missing a tee sign.
-24 holes? Why not 36!
Other Thoughts: Wonderful course. From the first tee off to the final putt, I had a smile on my face. The creek holes were picturesque, even when I managed to hit a tree and wound up in said creek. Very playable for all skill levels. Great shots are rewarded, and short shots are usually in 'ok' shape. Get off the path, and you'll be forced to pull off small miracles to make par. Loved every minute, will return.

Lincoln Ridge - Another Cinci Gem!!!

2-4    10/9/2012   10/16/2012
Review By: lteppen
Pros: We had driven 10 hrs from Mpls/St Paul the day before to tackle some of the Cinci area courses and I knew this one should not be missed! I had played this course a year earlier on a road trip but it was raining and I couldnt get the full enjoyment out of the course. This time it was perfect, 65 degress, sunny, light wind and nobody on the course! Do the locals not know whats in their back yard!

Fairways: were in great shape and well maintained, looks like they had plenty of watering as they were still lush green as of Oct 9. The mowers were just coming through (a huge area to mow may I mention) making the course look pristine.

Rough: at Lincoln Ridge was well placed and usually managable. Many holes have dense woods risk, drop off risks a few water risks towards the end. Not knowing the course and no locals being around meant that we sent one guy ahead to spot on many of the holes to ensure a round that didnt break 4 hrs.. Many holes will gobble up your discs if you are a first timer or dont have a spotter.

Elevation Variety: was phenomenal. The coures starts off with two long downhill heiser shots. Penty of space to bomb it without risk however the approachs go into the woods slightly. From there the elevation goes down into a valley and along side some of the ridges. A nice river/stream flows at the bottom with nice rock ridges and small drops. Cool scenery and good photo ops here. The course has plenty of uphill hikes and shots that require accuracy and patience. No doubt a few shots are going to take a long roll downhill. Playing during the fall makes loosing a disc under some debris/leaves a scary reality, but thats the risk we take to play this game.

Length: was just about right. Took two of us about 3 hours. Not too long that you're throwing your arm out of socket every hole and needing 4 bottles of water to get through the hike. But dont get me wrong, there are plenty of difficult holes here that requre strength and good placement. The course is just about right if you want a good workout, challenge and mix of holes and still have some energy for another round.

Use of Water: towards the end of the course the holes encircle a small pond. The placements when I was there were in places where the water posed absolutely no risk which was a bit dissappointing. There is also a small far pond on 16 and 17. And the little stream running through the mddle of the course but doesnt pose any "loss" risk.

Course Beauty: is fantastic. Set among rolling hills in the countryside outside Cincinatti. The course meanders through and around a small forest on the grouds of a well maintained public park. No trash to be seen, plenty of cans, and wonderfully maintained.

Overall: Phenomenal design with pin placements that are simply FUN. The course requires an arsenal of shots to score well. This is a must visit if you are in the Cincinatti area (along with Idlewild and Mt Airy). Fantastic course that is now in my top 10 played. Cant wait to come back.

Signs: Fairly well maintained and well marked. Lengths do not match the scorecards in all cases. Pars seemed to be a bit off on some holes. We played them all 3 for simplicity and increased challenge.

Tees: concrete and in good shape.

Ease of Navigation: Simple layout that is relatively easy to follow. A map and simply directions make navigation a bit easier but they arent mandatory.

Lost Disc Potential: Moderate

Other: Free!

Cons: Hardly a thing!

The water on the "water holes" unfortunately do not pose much if any risk of disc loss. Was hoping to have my heart beating faster when I stepped on the teepad for the water holes... But they still look cool.

Other Thoughts: Favorite Hole(s): 1, 7, 15, 18

Hudson Mills Metropark, Dexter MI

Lincoln ridge

5+    8/2/2012   8/19/2012
Review By: cdorman
Pros: Great course but not for beginners. Long holes. Acurate drives are important!!! Lots of hills . The holes by the creek can be very challenging the first time.
Cons: Some holes are hard to find for firsttime players.
Other Thoughts: Great course and very challenging.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6