Independence, KY
Lincoln Ridge Park Share
Uploaded By: discgolferjr Hole #15

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Take the time to play this course

1    5/21/2016   7/20/2016
Review By: UFM82
Pros: This course received the highest rating I've posted due to it's scenery, layout, mix of hole types and overall experience. It's just that good. It's clean, it's maintained and it doesn't feel crowded even though there were a lot of golfers out when I played. Wide open downhill holes that you can bomb and tight tunnels to navigate mean you will utilize all of your skills. The terrain is hilly which means it is a workout but it's worth it. The way the elevation changes were incorporated into the course is awesome. This is what a course should be. If I lived closer to this course I may never play anywhere where else!
Cons: The only con that I can think of is that the last couple of holes kind of pale in comparison to the first group. That's not much of a negative though- they aren't pass-by holes by any means. But a 360 foot downhill hole that is open on the right and wooded on the left that gives you an opportunity for a spectacular ace (my drive wound up UNDER the basket) overshadows them.
Other Thoughts: I left this course a couple strokes over par but felt good about the round. I was put in a good mood when I left as the course was so much fun! Tired but happy. Great place to go; make it a priority.

Loved It!

1    2/29/2016   3/11/2016
Review By: kindableu
Pros: -Great mix of hole types from open fairways to tightly wooded holes, and all sorts of elevation changes
-Playable for beginners, but experts won't be bored. This is a fair course and not one that punishes you
Cons: -The last few holes drag a bit, and pale in comparison to the earlier ones
-Signage was good, but it still could get a little confusing as far as pin placement
Other Thoughts: I'm still amazed at the variety of holes this course offers. To have some very open shots paired with such tightly wooded holes is still mind boggling. It feels like you are almost in two completely different settings as you move from rolling hills of green to dense forest along streams.

Just get here and throw!

1    5/22/2015   1/26/2016
Review By: B3NDER
Pros: Where to begin!

This course seemingly has it all:

To get amenities out of the way, the course has no shortage of benches and trash bins, which definitely helped lend to the very well-kept nature of the course.
The upkeep/maintenance here seemed definitely top notch, which is a huge plus.

- 24 Holes, equipped with Chainstar baskets, all holding up very well. The use of elevation and variety of terrain here is top notch in my opinion. There are multiple pin positions for some holes, allowing for a nice mix.

- An absolute great mix of open and wooded holes. You will need to be able to bring your A-Game in terms of longer drives for some holes, and the ability to throw tight lines in the wooded areas. With all that mind, with the varying pin position, putting and the strategy you use will be crucial, as huge rollaways are possible if not careful. Water also comes into play in a few spots, presenting some chances at risk/reward. You will be using all the shots in your arsenal, and having a blast doing it.

- Each hole has concrete pads, with a few having more than one tee - which offers different looks at the basket in terms of lower/higher positions. (I thought this was a neat feature)

- Signage for the teepads were pretty solid, explained par, distance and hole number.

Lincoln Ridge is located within a ~30 Minute drive from Idlewild, another must play course in Kentucky.
Cons: - Some 'fairways' are relatively close to others, which could possibly lead to shanked drives crossing over into other holes, especially with the first few holes, which can lead to safety concerns (Still not enough to really take away from the overall course rating, just exercise caution)

- In terms of navigation, we could have used a few more pointers in the right direction for the next tee. While we were never lost, routing was a bit off in a few spots. (Especially on some of the longer transitions)

- Some rough contains poison Ivy, so be careful if you're wandering off the fairway for discs.
Other Thoughts: It is so easy for me to say that Lincoln Ridge is easily in my 'Top 5 courses played' list - and I would give anything for it to be my home course. Other courses could take a page from Lincoln Ridge's book, as it was just that much fun. It is hard to believe that this course is over 30+ years old, and still offers so much. I almost listed the amount of traffic at this course under the 'Con' section, but really that traffic is just attributed to how amazing this place truly is.

Just crazy fun!

1    6/10/2015   12/3/2015
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: Lincoln Ridge is a 24 hole course set in Independence, KY, not too far from Idlewild.

Chainstar baskets, all in good repair, and caught well. Some really nice pin positions in dangerous positions. Death putts abound if you're overly aggressive. Lots of risk/reward around the greens here. Some holes have multiple pin positions.

Nice concrete tee pads, which were in good repair. Some holes have multiple tees, which were explained to us more as upper/lower than long/short. Plenty long, grippy and workable.

This is just fantastic golf. There's holes here that I dream about going back to play. Want to start with a nice downhill throw? Check. Want to end with a big downhill bomber? Yep, they've got that, too. You like short, technical ace runs? You're in luck. How about some long, tight, wooded hucks? Oh yeah. Throw in some open holes, and you've pretty much checked every throw on the shot list.

Great rolling elevation in play over darn near the whole course. Hole 14 is the hole I always think back to. Almost straight downhill, not long, with a huge ravine behind the basket. Too awesome.

Water in play on a few holes. Nothing too crazy bad, but if you go in the water on 22, you're probably out of luck.

Lots of trash cans and benches, which is a nice touch.

Decent tee signs, with all the info you need.
Cons: There's not much to pick at here. Maybe it could use more pin positions and extra tee pads on some holes.

Navigation can get a little wonky, especially in the earlier holes. It's pretty easy to get turned around. A few next tee signs would go a long way, especially when you need to cross a large parking lot to find a tee.

This place is busy, for good reason. Expect backups on the weekends.
Other Thoughts: This place is just plain fun. It's what disc golf is supposed to feel like. You'll throw damn near every disc you can carry. You'll be challenged. If I lived close, this would be the place I'd play at all the damn time, because it's just that good.

If you're in the area and don't play here, you're a moron. Just get out there and frolf, brau. You won't regret it.

is there a downside?

1    5/25/2015   6/2/2015
Review By: numbernine
Pros: 24 holes of brilliant disc golf, set in one of the most manicured parks that I have ever set foot in. I'm going to struggle to find a downside, but I'll nitpick and get there.

Baskets - Some of my favorite baskets on earth. I don't know why I love these Chainstars so much. I don't feel like I ever get spit outs on these things. the ones at Lincoln Ridge are no different.
I think that there are two placements for each basket as well. I am not sure, as I don't remember every hole off of the top of my head, but at least most do,.

Tee pads - every tee pad is level and beautifully done. Most of the are manicured with mulch and the occasional flower or two. All of the concrete is uncracked and not broken or rolling. I was surprised at how well all of these were done. Even the ones in the woods.

Shot types- I can't think of something that Lincoln Ridge does not have. Giant, huge, hyzer bombs. Short, sweeping anny shots. Roll away greens. Enormous putter shots from 350 feet away. pinpoint accuracy tunnel shots. It really is a course that is going to make you a better golfer for having played it.

the park - unmatched in how nice it is. the grass was golf course manicured in most places. no weeds in the fairways, no trash on the ground and no unpleasant graffiti or vandalism. what a great place to be and to be playing disc golf.

signs - every tee pad has a great sign that shows you precisely where you are going. all of them are clear and leave the golfer with no questions about the shot.

x factors - this is where Lincoln Ridge shines. There is a bench and a trash can on 90% of the holes out there,. There are multiple tee pads on a couple of the holes. There are so many amazing shots that I don't know if there is a signature hole. Maybe hole 24 with the ENORMOUS downhill shot from the road.
The elevation changes are second to none.
And most of all, it's just a beautiful course. It really is nice to just sit and look at most of the course.
Oh, and it really is the most fun I have had playing disc golf in a very long time. So much fun.
Cons: Nit picking here, but the place could have used a "next tee" sign in a couple of places. I wasn't sure where to go after 21 for a minute, but we got it figured out.

it was SUPER crowded when we played there. is that a con though? Again, nitpicking. But I suppose this would make your experience different.
Other Thoughts: Just go play this place. It's fun and there aren't many things to find wrong here.
Honestly, I can't imagine someone not having a great time at Lincoln ridge.

my first and fav

5+    4/1/2005   8/26/2014
Review By: W7amf
Pros: Great course, with long and host holes. Goof for beginners and experts alike. Clean, well maintained safe enjoyable park.
Cons: kind of in the middle of nowhere
Other Thoughts: This was the first course i ever played and from when i played it i was hooked. I have not played consistently until this summer, but on and off, since 2004 and this course has always been on my mind. great times with great friends.

Banklick rules!

5+    8/15/2014   8/15/2014
Review By: Twan42072
Pros: Dear banklick,
I love you so much. I know I play you every Wednesday for doubles but you never get old. You weren't my first but you'll be my last and you're easy to love. You have elevation, great shots that require expert shaping as well as distance, well guarded greens and a great pucker factor on your greens. You may not have par fours but you're the sweetest par three course in the world. Half of your holes I expect a two and half I'm happy as heck with a four sometimes. And you're so well maintained after all these years.
Cons: There can be only one

Tons of Fun!!!

1    11/16/2013   11/17/2013
Review By: dad_of_dg_junkies
Pros: The course is located in a gorgeous public park.
There is plenty of parking very near a practice basket and the first tee.
The park and the disc golf course are VERY well maintained. (short grass, no downed limbs and paths were neat).
The course strikes a very good balance of punishing poor shots while allowing well played shots to be rewarded with birdies or better.
One of my favorite aspects of this course is the number of times that the course allows you to bomb it off the tee.
Change in elevation is also a "Pro" on this course. There are holes that are listed that played as much as 100 ft short or longer than the scorecard distance due to elevation change.
We played every hole as a par 3 and hole 5-6 and 14-16 will challenge most disc golfers to make par.
After thinking about it, I played every disc in my bag during the round. That is always a PRO. The course while very open in some spots will also require some VERY precise shots on others. You will have to work the disc in both directions.
The course is VERY easy to follow. It was my first time playing it, and I didn't have any navigation problems. Signs were nice and accurate view of the holes.
I won't go into detail of each hole, that has been done very accurately by other reviews. All I will add is that each hole seemed very unique.
The 'FUN FACTOR" of this course is EXTREMELY high!
Cons: The only problem that I had with the course was the traction. When we played the course, it had rained the day before. Several of the tee boxes were very slick. There are also a couple of hills on the course that caused a lot of problems getting up and down due to being very slick.
Other Thoughts: I had tried to play this course 3 months ago, and didn't get the chance because of another event going on in the park. My persistence paid off this time. This is a great place to play disc golf. The scenery is awesome and the variety and challenge provide a great experience. Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild are a must play for anyone visiting this area. I would love to have a course like Lincoln Ridge in my city.

Great Course

5+    10/1/2013   10/19/2013
Review By: Rjmephillips115
Pros: This course is my personal favorite. It is a 24 hole course that is well taken care of. This course has shots that include downhill, uphill, dog leg left, dog leg right, and near water. I am not an expert player by any means, so this course is challenging to all levels of players. The park itself is very clean and up kept. I organize my company's picnic here every year because of its quality and activities that it provides.
Cons: The only con that I see that this course has is when walking from hole 14 to 15. The steps could be repaired or replaced. It is a very steep area and can bed dangerous when wet.
Other Thoughts: I like how on holes 1, 10, and 13 they change the placement of the baskets. I wish they would change the placement of other pins to give more of a variety. This course is probably the closes to perfect that I have been to.

High Fun Factor at Lincoln Ridge

1    9/24/2013   9/30/2013
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: -Located in a family-friendly park that has nice bathrooms, plenty of parking space, multiple playgrounds, soccer and baseball fields, multiple pavilions, and of course, disc golf. Lincoln Ridge is easy to get to off of I-71 and is located near a very nice golf course and neighborhood. It truly is in one of the most picturesque park settings I've played in and is very scenic in the woods and out in the open.
-Tee signs are in good shape, and tell you the pars, hole numbers, and lengths (except for 18 which is a hand-written tee sign). There are multiple tees on some of the holes, and 2-3 pin positions on every hole. The tees are long and wide concrete pads, while the baskets are Chainstar, have numbers on most of them, and are in good shape.
-This course is very well maintained and the grass is low on all the fairways. Also, the holes in the holes would normally be pretty rough, but there has been obvious steps to reduce this. It looks like the trees are often trimmed and the weed are often whacked, very much appreciated.
-Very friendly and helpful locals who volunteered to show me around the course and even helped me look for a lost disc without me asking.
-Only 20 minutes from Idlewild and 30 from Cincy courses

-Great variety of hole types and shots! It is split almost perfectly in three ways for hyzer, anhyzer, and straight shots and about 50/50 for wooded and more open shots. Use of elevation is one of the greatest aspects of this course and many holes (1, 2, 7, 14, 18, 20, and 24) offer pretty rapid elevation changes. Other holes play on slopes (3, 4, 5, 15, 16, 19, and 21). Also, this course allows you to bomb a few holes (1, 2, 11, 12, 13, 21, and 24) as well as play some very tight, technical shots (5-8 and 16-20). This course flowed very well as far as constantly changing from open to wooded and so on, not causing shots to seem repetitive and keeping the fun factor high. Water also comes into play on many of the holes, with a stream on the right of a steep slope from 14-16 and two separate ponds from 21-24.
-This is a great course to bring a beginner to, as there are multiple open shots, but they would get to see the technical side of the sport with the many wooded shots, and the fact that the water holes are fun but not very risky.
Cons: While Lincoln Ridge offers great variety and very fun, unique holes, there are certain aspects that hurt the course's overall rating a little bit.
-Navigation is a little rough at times, as some of the holes run back and forth to each other (I'm thinking of 11-13, 19-20 here). What makes it more difficult is that a few of the numbers on the baskets are worn off, so it makes it harder to figure out which basket belongs to which hole a few times. It would be helpful if there were more next tee signs and if the tee signs themselves pointed you in the right direction. It also got confusing after 21, where you have to cross the road and play the two holes around the smaller pond. I played 24 after 21because they are so close. A sign pointing across the road would also be helpful here.
-This course is over 30 years old, so a bunch of the tees are cracked (a bunch still being less than half though).
-Hole 2 plays dangerously close to the road.
-It was very crowded when I was there on a Tuesday evening. This bothered me because some of the holes plays close together, so discs were flying into my hole's fairway at times.
Other Thoughts: Lincoln Ridge truly has a high fun factor, with great variety of hole types, great use of elevation, and very scenic holes. While there weren't any throw-away holes here, some were pretty plain, even 1 or 2 in the woods. However, the best ones were unique, technical, and fun enough to give this course a 4.5 rating. My favorites were:

1- Great open downhill shot with a pin position in a tight corner of the woods
6- Very fun hyper then anhyzer that plays through a tight line in the woods, plays slightly uphill and has a tough pin position behind a few trees
7- Very fun tight downhill shot with a mango through 2 specific trees
13- A beautiful straight then anhyzer shot with the basket on a slope
14- Possibly my favorite hole on the course, extreme downhill shot that's goes left forces you to hyzer throughout a tight line of trees and then fade back to the right. Death putt scenario with the pin on a steep slope and the creek behind it.
20- Anny through a very tight line between trees. Plays downhill then uphill to the pin
24- Great way to end the course with a long downhill hyzer shot. Very picturesque shot

Took me 1 1/2 hours to play.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6