Independence, KY
Lincoln Ridge Park Share

Better than Idlewild?

1    3/26/2010   3/26/2010
Review By: EddieBTrue
Pros: EVERY hole is outstanding! There are tight shots, and grip n rips! I actually like the 'flow' of the course better than Idlewild; and the shots up the creek with the boulders some 20 feet below with a slight mist coming up gave me the feeling that hobbits were watching nearby! Great course; and the only complaint is that I have to drive 2 hours to get there...
Other Thoughts: I'm a rec player of only a couple of years; so perhaps the pro's might better enjoy Idlewild, but for my money, this course was more fun overall. Not dissing Idlewild whatsoever, it's just that this course simply that fun!

Awesome course!

2-4    2/6/2010   2/28/2010
Review By: pughdogs
Pros: 24 holes, all different (for the most part), water holes, elevation changes, trees, some open holes, perfect variety of challenges throughout the course. Tee signs made the navigation very easy. Concrete tees as well. Great course!
Cons: Watch the creek on holes 14, 15, & 16. Sometimes they change the basket placements on some holes, but they're not too hard to find if you haven't played them yet. A sign on hole #21 pointing the direction of holes #22 & #23 would have helped as well. Other than that, it's a bit of a drive from north cincy/south dayton, but worth the trip!
Other Thoughts: This course should definitely be in your rotation if you live within range, it never gets boring!

So close to a 5 in my book!

1    1/24/2010   1/24/2010
Pros: 1) Kiosk for information at the first tee. Garbage and benches at the first tee also a plus. There are also bathrooms available at the parking lot/1st tee area.

2) There is a practice basket with plenty of room for up to 50-75' putts. This is a nice feature especially for this course where you will likely have a bunch of longer putts to try and save par.

3) Signs have all information including Hole #, par, distance and a diagram indicateing a general flight path. The signs are also sponsored by local sponsors which is nice.

4) I may have beaten some of the park workers to work, but because it wasn't light out when I got there I had to wait to tee off. In the 30 minutes I waited I saw multiple trucks, and a golf cart with two guys driving around picking up trash and generally checking the condition of the disc golf course. Always a nice feature to have a parks department that cares for the course too.

5) Nice large concrete tee pads. This is essential on this course because of the rollng terrain and need for secure footing when trying to hit those small tunnels and land your disc in appropriate places.

6) The turf is in great condition on the openholes of this course. It was wet when I played but it was obviously they maintain the turf well. The turfed areas show the gently rolling hillsides that exemplify Kentucky.

7) The wooded holes generally have a good cover of leaves to keep the exposed soil from being slick and muddy. Many of the other trouble spots have mulch in places, specifically some green and tee areas.

8) Easy to follow routing despite minimal signage. A few places are slightly confusin and could use some directional signs, but all around not a bad layout and not to challenging to follow.

9) Nice DGA baskets, although I would rather see discatchers on this course because of being in the woods. It would help locate the basket from time to time.

10) Garbage and benches on many of the holes and they are very well done. They have not simply been slapped together, someone took their time to do them right.

11) Incredibly picturesque. I want to come back in season when the Blue grass is lush and Dark Green, the trees are fully leafed out and the stream is flowing like it was following the recent rains. I could spend all day playing disc golf and I am sure my wife could spend the whole day snapping cool natural setting pictures. I only wish I had brought my camera along for this course, even though it was winter there were still some cool pics, both disc golf related and simly nature related.

12) Some real risk/reward baskets. That is what makes this course a duece or die course. I feel like the front 9 is much easier to get dueces and threes while some of the wooded back 9 are certainly easier to 3 and 4 than any hole on the front.

13) There is an incredible variety on this course. They have wonderful elevation changes, they have a massive creek, they have some tightly wooded shots of all shapes, they have some rolling kentucky bluegrass fairways with baskets tucked ever so tightly into the edge of the woods. There are even a couple wide open holes that give you a chance to really rip it. I like Hole 24 despite being fairly wide open because it gives you a chance to really tear into a drive and really try to get a 3.

14) There are dual tees on holes 16, 19, 21 offering some different shorter looks at some of the harder holes on the course. I played the longer tees just because but I can see the shorter tee allowing for a much easier run at a 2 or possibly a simple 3.

15) This course has a very nice variety in hole length. A lot of the holes play much longer than the listed distance because of the inherent challenge in the woods. There are a few downhillers that play shorter too. Overall this course has enough length to challenge someone who has less than a 250' drive. That is what makes this a good duece or die type course. The pros better birdie a bunch of these holes to hold their own, and for a newer player 3's will still be accessible on most holes with a good approach and a putt.

16) This is some seriously solid DG on this course. The variety, the terrain, the maintenance, all create a wonderful experience.

17) Very fair course that has been very well played in. It does not require a lot of luck to do well it requires a lot of skill. This is the mark of a truly good course and I have played some good ones especially on this roadtrip.

18) There is some serious variety in shot shaping on this course. You have shots that have to be turned both ways and you also still have to consider how to land your disc flat to avoid those extreme rollaways!
Cons: 1) #1 tee area looks like a mess right now because the mulch has eroded or broken down. I am sure based upon the pictures that this is something they handle in spring, but I think the 1st tee should have a little more frequency since everyone stands around the tee creating compacted soils and breaking down the mulch quicker.

2) A few of the baskets seem to be low either from installation of the sleeve or erosion of the surrounding soils actually raising the soil level arond the baskets.

3) There are a few wet spots on this course and some simple steppers could be put in place to make this a better course. More permanent structures could also be made, but may not be necessary unless after a major rain.

4) Walk path comes into play as you play down the fairway on a few of the back 9 wooded holes.

5) The road is in play on the right of #3, but you will likely only have to deal with park workers in that corner of the park.

6) A sign to send you across the parking lot to Hole #5 would be helpful because you cannot see the tee sign from 4 basket because of the piles that the parks department has piled in the parking lot. There are a couple other spots where a sign might make the flow easier for a first timer.

7) Walk past tee #24 and cross the road to find holes #22 and 23. This is another spot a simple directional sign could be helpful.
Other Thoughts: If this is a 4.5 course then I cannot wait to see Idlewild. I cannot give this a 5 because it is lacking a little bit of maintenance and also some amenities that take a course to the cream of the crop. I had an awesome time and obviously on purely disc golf level this is one of the best of the best, but I rate courses on everything and not just the DG experience. I ended my epic roadtrip from Milwaukee down to Florida and back through North Carolina with some incredible courses. You can only imagine how epic this trip was when you realize that this was my 4th favorite course from this road trip. That amazes me because this is a really solid course. I am so fortunate to have been able to play so many great courses and to end the trip on this course is incredible. I am looking forward to coming back to the Cincinatti area to play this course again and Idlewild.

Deuce or Die Exemplified

5+    6/6/2009   1/16/2010
Review By: ChrisWoj
Pros: This is what deuce or die should be. In terms of spectacular deuce or die courses this is right next to Kereiakes Park in Bowling Green, Kentucky for the best of the best.

There is a fantastic mix of short and long holes - but the long holes are far outnumbered by the shorties. And that is not necessarily a bad thing. Lincoln Ridge Park brings the elevation into play on every hole - and most of it is near the end of the hole. Almost every green on the course has serious sloping to deal with. Every basket is placed strategically to challenge not only the driving ability of the golfer - but the putting ability as well. If you fail to park a hole you're quite literally debating whether or not you want to run at it. And if you choose to run, you're likely to either deuce or bogey, with minimal forgiveness to truly bad putts.
Cons: One of the few cons I have is that every single hole is deucable - there are no par 4's at all. I have witnessed every hole on the course birdied during one round of golf by a card of pros during the Bluegrass Open in 2009. It is possible to deuce more than half of the holes on the course and still lose 3-4 strokes to the leaders. But that's what the course is about - so you can't complain too much about it.
Other Thoughts: This course is fantastic. I can't complain about anything - the wind comes into play on occasion, but plenty of holes are wooded and protected by placement near the bottom of valleys. There is some distance, 2-3 holes, but nothing in 'tweener' range. What is most remarkable is that, as great as this course is: it is only the second best course in the area.

Disc Golf Heaven

2-4    12/6/2009   12/7/2009
Review By: Blonde Thunder
Pros: Elevation changes everywhere.
Excellent flow from hole to hole.
Several holes begin and end by the parking lot allowing you to play the front 9, the back 12, etc...
Plenty of benches and trash cans (almost no trash anywhere!! hats off to the locals)
Excellent signs showing multiple placements and distance.
The beauty of the Kentucky foothills and a running stream as backdrop cannot be overstated.
The pruning is just right! Not too wide open, but not too cluttered either.
Only a few (out of 24) plain wide open holes, the rest are memorable, challenging, and fun, fun, fun!
Cons: Some steep descents and climbs that might be hazardous with slippery conditions, but otherwise a plus in my book!
Other Thoughts: I live in northern Illinois and my previous favorite course was Anna Page West, in Rockford, IL( also a great course!). But, after playing Lincoln Ridge, I was completely blown away by the beauty and the fun the course offered. I had time for four rounds in the area and I spent the first two trying out Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild (both awesome courses). Then, I spent my last two rounds back at Lincoln Ridge! I can't wait to return! This is the type of course you plan a trip around.
Holes #14-#18 take you on a tour to the bottom of the ravine, along the stream, and then back to the top, incredible group of holes!

1000 mile round trip...

1    11/27/2009   11/29/2009
Review By: geocachenut
Pros: What an awesome course!! Played this one after idlewild...this one was superior.

Great mix of fairways...from wide open "rippers" to tight technical woods shots.

Love the water hazards...

Played the last few holes "glow" even though we had never played there before...very well laid out and easy to navigate.
Cons: Be careful of the steep hills! Can be very slippery when the dew starts to come on in the evening....
Other Thoughts: Not sure why Idlewild is rated higher...this course was right up there with Ludington, Michigan's Beauty, Beast and Goliath courses...Flip City of course still stands, in my eyes as the very Best of the Best!

Awesomeness!! One of the BEST I have ever played!!

1    10/24/2009   11/20/2009
Review By: landon77
Pros: -
-HUGE FUN FACTOR!! What a blast.
-Beautiful course, well manicured, epic in scope!
-Fantastic variation. Elevation changes, clear fairways, wooded shots, water shots!
-All holes are marked and clearly defined.
-Fairways are wide open or have a clear path.
-Hole difficulty ranges from easy to advanced.
-An excellent mixture of long and short holes.
-Baskets are good.
-Signs are good.
-Tee pads are excellent.
-Scenery is superb.
-Layout of the course makes sense and has a good flow to it. Very well designed.
-Great piece of land for disc golf!
Cons: -
-To far from Michigan.
-From basket 21 to tee 22 a little confusion exists because you need to cross a street, if you've never played you can look for awhile until you find it.
-Some ridges are steep and could make play dangerous. I fell down as did my friend on the same hole.
-snakes
Other Thoughts: -
-I loved this course. I played it and knew it was one of my favorites of all time. It is right up there with Flip City and better than The Beast in Michigan.
-We came to Kentucky to play Idlewild, but this was the course that made our trip.
-The course has a great variety that will or should appeal to beginners and advanced players.
-The fun factor was awesome. I had a better time playing this then Idlewild.
-I would play this course all the time if I lived close by.
-The course allows for decent scores and is still a challenge.
-SUPER, SUPERB, FANTASTIC, PLAY IT!!!!

2-4    5/25/2010   10/26/2009
Review By: Mark R
This review was updated on 5/26/2010
Pros: Mind-blowing, eye-popping disc golf landscape with lush grassy fairways that puts similar holes at other parks completely to shame. Many holes feature super-fun downhill bomb shots onto beautifully maintained and mowed grassy fairways that could be the best holes at other courses (Holes 1, 2, 22, 24). Others are flatter (but not flat, often with slopes from L to R) and similarly entertaining with terrific tee shots onto near-perfect, well defined grassy fairways (10, 11, 12, 13, 19, 21, 23). Also includes a great overhand hole that offers additional contrast (Hole 20). Course also has top-notch forest holes with ace opportunities (4, 7, 9, 14) and ravine holes even better than Hickory Hills (15, 16) that offer a perfect contrast to the grassy open holes. Big cement tee pads and good signs similar to Idlewild. Lots of squirrels and woodpeckers in forest hole areas create a terrific ambience. Excellent 24 hole course design that seems more intuitive than Idlewild. A good practice basket, wood chips at the front of tees to land on after crush drives. Free admission.
Cons: Not many cons here. The tee for Hole 7 is too close to the basket for Hole 4. Hole 5 is hard to find after Hole 4 (ended up at Hole 7 instead). A couple of so-so but not bad holes (5, 6, 8, 17). No alcohol allowed. Hole 22 took a minute or two to find, but it's close by. Right next to a Police Station. Lacks a bit of challenge for Gold players (compares evenly with Morley Field in San Diego). Few alternate tees.
Other Thoughts: An instant favorite, right from the first hole. Simply excellent from start to finish, with absolutely no truly weak holes anywhere to be found, and the only one to approach Flip City in the sheer number of exceptional holes. Unrivalled course diversity. The best grass of any course I've ever played.

About Time I got to this one

2-4    8/12/2007   10/12/2009
Review By: superberry
This review was updated on 1/24/2010
Pros: Balance, variety, the spice of life! There are some amazing wooded holes here that play up, down, through, and across some very unique ravines. These wooded holes are what disc golf woods lovers love. It is great to introduce water hazards and elevation in the tight woods. Beside just some killer wooded holes, there are lots of chances to air it out on very well designed holes that challenge your shot placement due to the rolling terrain and surrounding rough. OB with the park's roads and the water offer additional and well appreciated challenge. Some of the pins are placed in nice, precarious locations that offer the risk/reward challenge and make you think about placing your upshots and making a good putt versus laying up to avoid a destrutive rollaway or blwoby. The park is very well maintained, both well cut open grass fairways and well cleaned and attended wooded fairways. There is no pay to play here! This is one of the courses of the 100+ that I have played which has it all, everything required in my book to earn a 5-disc rating. Tight woods, cool sharp elevation changes, some risky greens, water hazards, a downhill bomber, more than 18 holes, and worth a roadtrip/overnight stay from far away (especially considering the other courses in the area too)!
Cons: Really, nothing against the course itself. I tend to be harsh on concrete tees that are eroded in the front because my follow through takes me over the edge often, and I also worry about limiting my approach due to planting on the edge and rolling an ankle. You have some erosion here at the front, but the pads are ginormous and the parks department does a great job with landscaping. While the wooded holes are incredible and utilize some of the best ridges, valleys, creeks I've seen, I would like to see more of the open holes dumped and more new wooded wonders. This is a PRO that there is a cool creek winding through the wooded holes in the middle, but most often I'd imagine in is fairly dry and not too much of a hazard. Cool nonetheless. Too many greens are wide open, I prefer much more risky greens.
Other Thoughts: It is about time I got around to writing this review. I played it a while ago and it has never left my mind. I struggled a little bit on this one, and contemplated leaving a 4.5 or 5 disc rating. Not for a nit-picking little choice of definition of "long downhill bomber hole". While the last hole here is technically not what I had in mind as a bomber, it scratches the itch to air it out very well. You can come here, even under the hot and humid KY summer weather like I did, enjoy a fairly quiet and not busy round on a fantastic course that has more than 18 holes (so it's worth a roadtrip in my mind). You get to air it out, you get elevation in the open and in the tight woods, you get a great round of disc golf. I actually played this, then drove to Idlewild and guess what. I skipped Idlewild. I know, that may be blasphemous on here, but I did it and I don't really regret it at all. If I go back to hit up Idlewild, I'll definitely make time to play here again! Come and play it, this course gives you incredible balance and variety, the kind of stuff that will scratch that worst disc golf itch of yours. And it's worth a roadtrip too! This is more of a PDGA Blue level course (definitely not Gold, but not White as indicated, but maybe that's just due to the discrepancies on the tee signs). To me however, you simply cannot lose yourself in the middle of a city park that is joint use (the sounds of kids screaming at the playground, traffic, etc). Setting kills the opportunity for a 5, NOT the design or terrain.

My top course

2-4    6/5/2009   10/5/2009
Review By: kmrynders
Pros: I can confidently say this is my favorite course I've played to date.

Tees, Signs, and baskets are all in great condition. Garbage cans on many holes.

This course will blow you away from the start. The general flow of the course is greatůsave for the odd walk from hole 4 to hole 5 and 6. Head over the parking lot to reach these holes.

This course has everything you could want. Diverse holes and all types of shots. Elevation, water, long, short, lefty, righty, everything is involved. This course will challenge you with risk/reward shots that will keep you coming back. Getting a few birdies isn't too tough, but getting those birdies that are just out of reach will make you addicted to this course.

Most holes are picturesque to the point that, if it's your first time playing the course, you'll stand on the tee and just want to soak in the beauty. There are a handful of holes in the woods that my friends and I just stopped playing and hung out for a while. The grooming on the course is top notch, you'll know what disc path(s) work for the hole and the course challenges you to actually take them.

There are water hazards which add to that whole risk/reward mentality.

All types of players will enjoy playing here. The course isn't just for the seasoned veteran, but if you play here often you will for sure become one. Even the amateur player can grab a few birdies and be happy with their play, while the veterans can strive to hit a double digit negative score.
Cons: I guess the course could get a little crowded, but being a 24 hole course you shouldn't really have too much of a backup. No other real cons, bring a course mapů? It'll help if you get turned around, but you really don't need one if you are paying attention.

This is the course I wish I had as my home course. There really isn't much that could be done to make this course any better than it already is. Play it once and you'll love it. It has everything a golfer could ask for.