Independence, KY
Lincoln Ridge Park Share

FUN!

1    4/12/2009   4/30/2009
Review By: tdortch
Pros: Wow. What a great course. There is everything you could want from a course here, including shot type, scenery, difficulty, cool locals and overall enjoyment. The set of holes around the creek on the back nine stand out still and I played it several weeks ago. This is a tough series of holes, with some serious side of the hill baskets and a large creek looming off to the side. It was raining buckets when I played this course (my bag didn't dry out for about a week!), and I couldn't leave, even though I had already played Idlewild that day. Really fun. Definite stop on your trip to the mecca of DG in this area....
Cons: This is a course you don't want to play in the rain, even though i did. The pads can get dangerous as some of them are perched on the sides of hills and if you fall, you're breaking something. Some of the extra holes are just pitch and putt in a field, meh.
Other Thoughts: I am lucky enough to travel around in 7 states and play a lot of courses now and this started the best two days I've ever had in my DG career: Here, Idlewild and Mt. Airy in Columbus.

A+ = Best of 160+ I Have Played So Far!

2-4    5/8/2006   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A+
Other Thoughts: I ranked this course subjectively based on my own personal enjoyment factor...more accurately my "personal addiction factor". Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they chose courses to play and explore.

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I say adds anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

Idlewild's little brother?

1    4/4/2009   4/4/2009
Review By: Hamilton
Pros: I love a course that has both open and wooded shots, and this course really delivers!

All concrete tee pads, plenty of length and in great shape. Mach baskets in very good condition. Tee signs are mostly there, but the map on here is more than adequate to navigate the course. Benches and trash cans abound, facilities are very nice.

I also like how there are some very challenging shots, as well as several that are deuce-able...

My memorable holes:
3 - Tight fairway with woods left and road OB right, tough to place it just right for a look at a bird.
5 - Neat big hyzer through the woods, down then back up. If you hit it just right you might hear chains.
6 - "Nedly's Revenge"...I don't know who Nedly is, but man this hole is tough! Over a ravine, then up and right over a hill, then BACK down to the right. I felt lucky to get a 5!
9 - 205 feet. Seemingly simple, but real tough to thread through the trees. Great feeling to reach the basket on this one.
14 - Not very long, but BIG downhill tree-lined shot. Don't go long though or you end up in a huge ravine.
15/16 - Hill with trees left, BIG dropoff to creek right. You really have to focus on these two to keep it straight, or you will be throwing back up from the water, or trying to clear trees to get back.
20 - down a hill and back up, but a line of trees all but blocks your path. You can lay up and hit the opening back up the hill, or go BIG thumber or tomahawk to clear the trees. Fun hole.
24 - Looking down a hill with a pond on the left, line of many big trees between the tee and the basket. Be careful! if you go high and not right enough (RHBH) you might be kissing your disc goodbye to the lake. Go right and let it fade back in.
Cons: Kind of rough terrain to negotiate. It was still a bit wet, and some grades were pretty steep, some stairs in places would really help (although some were in place).

Some more cleanup is necessary from the ice storm is needed, but they have done pretty well so far, just need some repairs to be done (i.e. the steps going from 16's basket to 17's tee).

Some of the fairways play very close to each other, so at times you have to be very aware of errant shots from other holes or you might just take one to the head.

Other Thoughts: My rating of a 4 is based on the fact that the course is very fun, and well laid out. It just needs to progress in terms of being able to traverse the course more easily. Mostly though, it just wasn't terribly challenging when compared to longer more difficult course I've played like Idlewild and Renaissance Park. I feel it can get to 4.5 if worked on a little more.

Overall I feel this course is a MUST PLAY if you are coming through the area on I-71 or I-75. I feel very fortunate to have this gem only 75 minutes from my house.

Artist formally know as Banklick

1    6/1/2005   2/3/2009
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 1/26/2010
Pros: This is not an 18 hole course- it has 24 great holes!!! So if you like to get more from a round then this is your place. Some courses have extra holes that can actually detract from the course, but not this course- all 24 holes are sweet and make the course complete.

It is challenging, yet manageable, and there are birdie opportunities. There is a very good mix of open and wooded holes as well as left/right/straight shots required. There is quite a bit of elevation as well. It is set on a beautiful piece of land- the open grassy holes are just begging you to throw a disc on them. They are ideal for watching your disc sail through the air, then landing softly on the lush fairway. The wooded holes are fair and test your accuracy as they do have actual well-defined fairways.

I personally liked the teepad area- the concrete tees, signs, and mulch just look amazing and beg you to come throw your drive. Many of the basket locations are unique and creatively placed.
Cons: If you are an 18 hole purist then the number 24 may not sit well with you!

A stray cat followed us for around for the first 14 holes (he had a lot of energy). He was noisy meowing frequently (probably hungry and lonely) and sometimes he got in the way as he tried to walk through you legs, which is dangerous when you are trying to throw!!! (not really a con, but a funny, memorable story nonetheless.)
Other Thoughts: A must play. Check out the pictures and you will want to play here. (And the holes look 10 times better in person.) Couple it with with nearby Idlewild, it and makes for an unbelievable day of disc golf!!!

This course/park was known (and probably still is in some circles) as Banklick- until it was renamed in February '09 to Lincoln Ridge.

Rip and run....

1    12/14/2008   12/14/2008
Review By: MulliganStew
This review was updated on 12/16/2008
Pros: Phenomenal course, long holes weaving in and out of woods. Really nice elevation changes throughout. Several tees go off near cliff size chasms of dispare. One going so far down my ears popped on my way down to the creek bed to retrieve my disc. Wonderful balance between wooded and open field holes. Several holes skirt the creek, which is deep and wide at some points. Great use of the creek as an obstacle. This course has a lot of offer in variety of shot. There are several hole where different shots can be chosen. Choice of pin placement is excellent. Very well maintained, set in a multiuse park. Easy parking, lots of refuse containers. First shot goes out over the road, nice...
Cons: Signage needed for 4 to 5..Easy to get lost as stated before. A few holes are average.
Other Thoughts: Sad that there are trash cans all over, yet people still just drop trash on the course. Did not see any public bathrooms.

Seriously, I'm from Ohio. I don't do hills.

1    11/28/2008   12/1/2008
Review By: OneBallWonder
Pros: Amazing course, beautiful elevation changes in a very nice park. Challenging lay-out that rewards great tee-shots, and punishes mistakes.

Easy to follow other than a couple tricky spots. From 4's Pin, It is very easy to walk to your left right toward 7's tee pad. Holes 5 & 6 are located up to the right, across the parking lot. The Print out a map at www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com
Cons: It's not the course's fault, but erosion has become an issue. Hills can become slippery if any moisture is present, and in this area, slippery hills are very hazardous.
Other Thoughts: Some stupid idiot jerk stole the basket from #5's basket. Stupid idiot jerk.

Solid course

1    8/30/2008   9/2/2008
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: 24 holes. Mo holes = mo betta!

Nice variety of wooded and open holes (although many of the open holes could really benefit from a few obstacles to create some challenge).

Some unique holes, and some picturesque scenery. One hole runs along a wide creek/stream and was like none I've ever played before. Really pretty.

Very will maintained, with excellent signage and large teepads.
Cons: My biggest gripe is rather nitpicky. I found the pars to be very inconsistant. On one hand you'd play a hole ("Nedly's Revenge") that is 350' uphill, dogleg right, through moderate/heavy woods that's a par 3. Then a few holes later you're playing some 350' wide-open holes without a tree in sight that are par 4? It seems like the assigned pars were almost chosen at random in several cases.

As I mentioned earlier, there were some holes that were simply too wide open as to be interesting. A few trees here or there would help greatly on certain holes.

Elevation was almost extreme in a few cases, and I'd imagine could be even hazardous if the course was wet or muddy.
Other Thoughts: If this course was closer to me, I'd play it several times a year. As it is, I may play it as part of an annual road trip along with Idlewild.

Another GREAT Cincy course

5+    6/29/2008   8/29/2008
Review By: Andy Hlavac
Pros: Very pretty environment. Decent flow. Boasts some of the coolest individual holes in the Cincy area. My particular favorites are the ones near the stream bed. One of them is 200+ ft. away down a steep hill, facing the stream. One bad roll and you could end up all wet at the bottom. The next hole lies directly on the side of the stream and the same OB warning applies. These are true signature holes which should not be missed.

Also, the course is 24 holes which just means more fun.
Cons: Can be busy because its so awesome. Not extremely challenging...I shot a one-over-par after 24 holes (playing everything as par 3).
Other Thoughts: Only gave this course a 4.5 because it is so close to Idlewild...there can't be two true 5-star courses within 10 miles of each other, right?

Banklick Woods

2-4    1/10/2010   8/17/2008
Review By: discgolferjr
This review was updated on 1/10/2010
Pros: Nice park. Chainstar Baskets. Mix of wooded and open holes. Combo of righty and lefty holes. Practice basket. Heavily played. River and Pond make course more intresting. Get birdies and pars....... even some aces.
Cons: 5 basket was stolen, the basket is replaced.
Other Thoughts: Few other courses such as Idlewild are nearby so if your out here play a few other courses. Great Disc Golf Course. Weekly Doubles Wed. 6pm (6 dollars entry).Also Ice Bowl #2 here. Go to http://www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com for more info. If you take a right out of the park and go to the Marathon gas station down the street they have golf discs for sale.

Always was one of my favorites

5+    7/31/2008   7/31/2008
Review By: johnt1969
This review was updated on 8/22/2008
Pros: Banklick is a great course. The course design is very solid. There are only a couple holes where the tee and the pin are a little bit too close together for comfort. This course has good baskets, very good tee pads and has always had good tee signs. This course gets quite a bit of play but it's always been maintained well by the parks personel and Fred Salez. There are restrooms and a cola machine as well as a shelter that's used during tournaments. The course is not in a single use park but with the exception of a few holes it is in a portion of the park that is not used for anything but disc golf. Holes 1-3 have a small chance of finding trouble in a portion of the park that might have other traffic but it's a very small chance. This course flows very well and it is pretty easy to find all the holes. You will also have to use a good mix of power and accuracy here. This was always my favorite place to play when I lived in Cincinnati because it played to my strengths more than Mt Airy did (Idlewild didn't exist but that doesn't play to my strengths anyway). Every time I go back to Cincinnati I make a trip to Banklick to play. I've only played it once in the new 24 hole configuration.
Cons: Here's the only nit picky thing I don't like about the new Banklick layout.....

Golf courses are 9 holes or 18 holes. They are NOT 6 holes, or 13 holes, or 24 holes. There can be 27 holes in a park but that would be an 18 hole course and a 9 hole course, or three 9 hole courses. 24 holes is craziness.

I assume the reason for the new 24 hole layout is because there wanted to utilize the nice new holes after holes 4 and 15. The problem is that this caused there to be a goofy number of holes. I really wish there were 3 more good holes. In my opinion, adding a few extra holes for the sake of having extra holes is silly.
Other Thoughts: A comment regarding my evaluation of courses. I am not trying to insult or hurt any ones feelings when I review a course. I'm just trying to evaluate the course on what I feel are important characteristics of a good course. Disc golf has become a large enough sport that I feel we should strive for better than we have now. Just putting 18 holes in a park isn't enough. 18 pole holes does not make a disc golf course. It requires tee's, signs, maps, solid course design and constant maintenance. Any less than that and we will never advance the sport to a reputable level.