Independence, KY

BEAUTIFUL COURSE!

1    5/25/2013   5/29/2013
Review By: sgamerp
This review was updated on 8/14/2013
Pros: Maintenance - This place was in great shape.

Shot Variety - Everything from Water, Elevation, distance
Tee Signs/Teepads - I think a few of the teesigns were missing, but have cement Teepads.

Beauty - The holes in the back 14-16 are some of the best looking wholes with the creek behind it (although can be dangerous for some)
Cons: Some of the holes in the back could be fairly dangerous from the creek.

the lack of 500+ holes could be a con for some however not for me.
Other Thoughts: Honestly, This makes my top 3 courses. It's very fun, and a great course to give you some pride without being too easy.

I honestly think the only reason I don't give this a 5 is because of how close it is to Idlewild. Personally I enjoy this course more than Idlewild, but Idlewild is the top course in over all golf.

Hole 15 is one of the best looking holes I have seen(late spring when I saw it)

I played with people who showed me around, so I noticed some people saying it was hard to find your way around, but I didn't notice that at all.

Very Close to Idlewild, it seems these two are a must play combo.

One of the most fun courses in D. Golf

5+    10/9/2012   12/15/2012
Review By: Aestheticflight
Pros: Fun Fun Fun. A blast for the pro...not too scary for a beginner . Beautiful park, well maintained, Interesting topography that is well utilized. Nice pads, Easy to follow even your first time. Nice mix of open holes and woods holes.One of my very favorite courses. A must play if you are in the area. (Idlewild is about 20 min away)
Cons: Can't really think of many. I suppose that if it is really wet out it could be a bit muddy on some of the woods holes. There is a fair amount of walking and the last 5 holes bring you up a fairly good sized hill so if you are not healthy or if you are impaired physically this may wear you out a bit. (but I like the hills). This course is fairly popular in the area so sometimes there can be lots of other golfers out. But this has never been too big of a problem for me.
Other Thoughts: Love this course, Great job by the park in caring for it.Great job by the designers. More courses should be like this one. On a good day a good golfer can shoot a 40 but could also shoot just a 52 if you are off a bit. I have witnessed some good players low scores on the front nine go brutally south on the back nine... Love this course.

Really good course

2-4    11/17/2012   11/27/2012
Review By: DG addict24
Pros: Lincoln Ridge is a nice park with a good course. It has all the shots, short and long, left and right, wooded and open, up and down. It also required a less spoken trait which is touch. On hole 14 if you're long you're done and even if your short you better not let it get on it's side. It has all the maintenance right, good teepads, good signs, good baskets, practice baskets, personally i found the teepads pretty easily and there were some people saying that was a problem. This was an all around great course.
Cons: There is just something that separates really good courses from great courses and this just didn't quite make it there. I played Idlewild the same day I played here and there was just something about it that I can't tell that made Idlewild better, that's why I couldn't give this a 5.
Other Thoughts: Lincoln Ridge Park was a great course that I really wish wasn't 4 hours away. I've played it twice and still don't feel like I've gotten it's experience in full, I think the more I play it the better it will get. (it felt better the 2nd time) I would wait and play it again before reviewing to get the full experience but I doubt I'll ever get the chance to play there again. But if I'm ever back in Northern KY I know where I'll be heading.

Everything I expected

1    10/27/2012   10/30/2012
Review By: Grungedude42
Pros: -Great variety of shots. Some long, some short, uphill, downhill, tunnels, open bombers, you name it.
-Approachable for newbies, and a challenge for experienced players. I played for the first time with my young inexperienced cousin, and my brother of similar experience as myself (10+ years). We all had a great time.
-Multiple static pin placements are great. Play to one basket, go back to the tee (as long as it's open, of course) and play to the other!
-Makes excellent use of the land. The holes spread out all around, and make use of the hills and creek to give some wonderful views from the tees.
-Beautiful scenery all the way from Turkeyfoot Rd. to the 24th basket. Even better in the fall.
Cons: -Lack of "next tee" signs make first time navigation a bit tricky without a guide. Luckily, the course map in the media files on an iPad solved that.
-One hole was missing a tee sign.
-24 holes? Why not 36!
Other Thoughts: Wonderful course. From the first tee off to the final putt, I had a smile on my face. The creek holes were picturesque, even when I managed to hit a tree and wound up in said creek. Very playable for all skill levels. Great shots are rewarded, and short shots are usually in 'ok' shape. Get off the path, and you'll be forced to pull off small miracles to make par. Loved every minute, will return.

Picturesque in Northern KY

1    10/21/2012   10/21/2012
Review By: amryan11
Pros: -good signage at each hole, all intact as of this review except for one
-some holes have multiple tee pads and basket locations
-undergrowth is limited so discs aren't tough to find
-water features, elevation changes, and woods add challenge and interest
-benches and garbage cans on just about all the holes
-excellent use of space with 24 interesting holes
Cons: -can be muddy around the creek, but this is only a problem if you make a bad shot, and is to be expected
-depending on how much energy you have, 24 holes of elevation change can be tiring
-no next tee signs, can be somewhat confusing
-despite 2 ponds on this course, neither is really a risk unless you make a pretty terrible shot, they could be incorporated better
Other Thoughts: This is very picturesque course, especially in the fall with the leaves changing. The creek running through the course adds some challenge, and while none of the holes are impossible many are quite challenging and force you to make the right shot. This is a good intermediate course that allows some forgiveness but still requires some skill. It's a lot of fun and has tons of elevation change- bring your hiking boots. It probably gets overlooked with Idlewild just a few miles away but this is a very respectable course in its own right. It's definitely one worth playing. If it's your first (or second) time, I strongly recommend bringing a map, navigation can be difficult.

Grains of sand tickle my nose

1    11/24/2011   10/20/2012
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: Personal Rank: 109

Good solid fun without being overly challenging or punishing. Nearly every hole is deuceable, but that doesn't mean it's easy - hit your line and you will be rewarded, miss your line and you might have a look at a par save. Use of elevation and heavily wooded areas with some thick rough make for a fun variety of shots that makes this course enjoyable many times through. I definitely enjoy a round at Lincoln Ridge as a great compliment to its neighbor, Idlewild and the other Cincy courses makes for a great destination area.

I highly recommend this area and this course for anybody traveling by or looking for a weekend destination area of great disc golf.
Other Thoughts: After playing 1000 courses, I'm excited to share my opinion on some of my favorites. My top 100+ list can be found on my blog, my favorites list is at 110 of 1020 as of writing this review. Of all courses played, the top 1.5% receive a rating of 5, down to 6% is a 4.5, and 15% is a 4.0 creating a bell curve distribution. I apologize that my reviews are not as detailed as they have been previously. I have included the details as to why this course stands out to the best that my memory serves.

My personal criteria is very subjective, a gut feeling:
~Physical beauty stands out, both scenery and the beauty of each hole.
~Amenities don't mean much to me, it doesn't much matter if there's benches, concrete tee pads, or garbage cans.
~Technical design - How well designed are the fairways/airways and landing areas? Are there unique holes that stand out? Variety of holes - distances, shapes, elevation, tree density, rough thickness. Pars 4 and 5?
~I love extreme/adventure golf. Rugged and secluded courses stand out more than park style courses. In general I prefer more technical over more open.
~Local Scene. If I was involved in a tournament or league or met up with some locals and played the course multiple times I appreciate different aspects of a course.

Thank you, enjoy my reviews and if you don't find this information helpful, please let me know what I can do to improve.

Lincoln Ridge - Another Cinci Gem!!!

2-4    10/9/2012   10/16/2012
Review By: lteppen
Pros: We had driven 10 hrs from Mpls/St Paul the day before to tackle some of the Cinci area courses and I knew this one should not be missed! I had played this course a year earlier on a road trip but it was raining and I couldnt get the full enjoyment out of the course. This time it was perfect, 65 degress, sunny, light wind and nobody on the course! Do the locals not know whats in their back yard!

Fairways: were in great shape and well maintained, looks like they had plenty of watering as they were still lush green as of Oct 9. The mowers were just coming through (a huge area to mow may I mention) making the course look pristine.

Rough: at Lincoln Ridge was well placed and usually managable. Many holes have dense woods risk, drop off risks a few water risks towards the end. Not knowing the course and no locals being around meant that we sent one guy ahead to spot on many of the holes to ensure a round that didnt break 4 hrs.. Many holes will gobble up your discs if you are a first timer or dont have a spotter.

Elevation Variety: was phenomenal. The coures starts off with two long downhill heiser shots. Penty of space to bomb it without risk however the approachs go into the woods slightly. From there the elevation goes down into a valley and along side some of the ridges. A nice river/stream flows at the bottom with nice rock ridges and small drops. Cool scenery and good photo ops here. The course has plenty of uphill hikes and shots that require accuracy and patience. No doubt a few shots are going to take a long roll downhill. Playing during the fall makes loosing a disc under some debris/leaves a scary reality, but thats the risk we take to play this game.

Length: was just about right. Took two of us about 3 hours. Not too long that you're throwing your arm out of socket every hole and needing 4 bottles of water to get through the hike. But dont get me wrong, there are plenty of difficult holes here that requre strength and good placement. The course is just about right if you want a good workout, challenge and mix of holes and still have some energy for another round.

Use of Water: towards the end of the course the holes encircle a small pond. The placements when I was there were in places where the water posed absolutely no risk which was a bit dissappointing. There is also a small far pond on 16 and 17. And the little stream running through the mddle of the course but doesnt pose any "loss" risk.

Course Beauty: is fantastic. Set among rolling hills in the countryside outside Cincinatti. The course meanders through and around a small forest on the grouds of a well maintained public park. No trash to be seen, plenty of cans, and wonderfully maintained.

Overall: Phenomenal design with pin placements that are simply FUN. The course requires an arsenal of shots to score well. This is a must visit if you are in the Cincinatti area (along with Idlewild and Mt Airy). Fantastic course that is now in my top 10 played. Cant wait to come back.

Signs: Fairly well maintained and well marked. Lengths do not match the scorecards in all cases. Pars seemed to be a bit off on some holes. We played them all 3 for simplicity and increased challenge.

Tees: concrete and in good shape.

Ease of Navigation: Simple layout that is relatively easy to follow. A map and simply directions make navigation a bit easier but they arent mandatory.

Lost Disc Potential: Moderate

Other: Free!

Cons: Hardly a thing!

The water on the "water holes" unfortunately do not pose much if any risk of disc loss. Was hoping to have my heart beating faster when I stepped on the teepad for the water holes... But they still look cool.

Other Thoughts: Favorite Hole(s): 1, 7, 15, 18

Hudson Mills Metropark, Dexter MI

Lincoln ridge

5+    8/2/2012   8/19/2012
Review By: cdorman
Pros: Great course but not for beginners. Long holes. Acurate drives are important!!! Lots of hills . The holes by the creek can be very challenging the first time.
Cons: Some holes are hard to find for firsttime players.
Other Thoughts: Great course and very challenging.

Beautiful, Fun, and Hilly

1    5/5/2012   7/21/2012
Review By: BearClaw
Pros: excellent mix of terrain
*great elevation changes
*course situated away from other park activities
*found the course easy to navigate with map
* great concrete tee pads with signs
*local player helped find TWO of my discs
*beautiful creek holes
*lots of fun to play holes and shots
*well maintained
*cute bridges and benches throughout
Cons: *Longest hole is only 516
*Only 1 hole besides longest is over 400
*While holes 14-16 by the creek are scenic and can be very fun to play because of the gorge they can also be dangerous and easy to fall on
*the elevation on other holes can make it very difficult disc diving should you go into some brush on a hill
*only a couple holes with multiple tees
*the extension holes could use more variety
Other Thoughts: Some of the steep parts are super fun just walking around on and even more fun to through from but can present a safety hazard so be careful out there! Many of the area players I talked to about this course (I called it by its current name, Lincoln Ridge Park, while the locals seemed to prefer calling it Old Bancklick or just BanckLick) expressed frustration over hole 14 mainly that its too easy to shoot into the out of bounds creek. I actually talked to a guy at Idelwild who said he would never play Bancklick again because of that 1 hole! I thought it was a fun hole but agree that it seems incredibly difficult to land inbounds and might be a touch on the short side. I believe a second, long tee pad would work perfectly for hole 14 and I think that if they added them wherever there was room longer tee pads would give you much more room to stretch out your throwing arm. While the course was one of the most fun and scenic courses I've ever played and adding more long tee pads and changing the extension holes is the only way right now I could I imagine the course getting better and deserving a 5 rating. I will absolutely play this course again the next time I am in N. Kentucky or S. Ohio and would highly recommend it for people of any disc golf skill level as long as hey can safely navigate steep hills.

What a Jewel

1    6/17/2012   7/18/2012
Review By: Disc Golf Dave
Pros: I went expecting a good disc golf course, I found a great disc golf course. Definitely one of the best in the Cincinnati area, and in any area. It has a good mix of long and short holes, some beautifully maintained fairways, some primeval forest, and some holes right on the edge of civilization. I will take this trek any time. At times I felt like I was on Avatar. What an amazing experience.
Cons: I really have nothing negative to say. I didn't give it a 5 because it doesn't quite compare with a couple other courses I've played, and I leave the 5 for only those rarest of rare courses.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course more than Idlewild, though it is great, and not quite as much as Mr. Airy.