Independence, KY
Lincoln Ridge Park Share

Disc Golf Heaven

2-4    12/6/2009   12/7/2009
Review By: Blonde Thunder
Pros: Elevation changes everywhere.
Excellent flow from hole to hole.
Several holes begin and end by the parking lot allowing you to play the front 9, the back 12, etc...
Plenty of benches and trash cans (almost no trash anywhere!! hats off to the locals)
Excellent signs showing multiple placements and distance.
The beauty of the Kentucky foothills and a running stream as backdrop cannot be overstated.
The pruning is just right! Not too wide open, but not too cluttered either.
Only a few (out of 24) plain wide open holes, the rest are memorable, challenging, and fun, fun, fun!
Cons: Some steep descents and climbs that might be hazardous with slippery conditions, but otherwise a plus in my book!
Other Thoughts: I live in northern Illinois and my previous favorite course was Anna Page West, in Rockford, IL( also a great course!). But, after playing Lincoln Ridge, I was completely blown away by the beauty and the fun the course offered. I had time for four rounds in the area and I spent the first two trying out Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild (both awesome courses). Then, I spent my last two rounds back at Lincoln Ridge! I can't wait to return! This is the type of course you plan a trip around.
Holes #14-#18 take you on a tour to the bottom of the ravine, along the stream, and then back to the top, incredible group of holes!

1000 mile round trip...

1    11/27/2009   11/29/2009
Review By: geocachenut
Pros: What an awesome course!! Played this one after idlewild...this one was superior.

Great mix of fairways...from wide open "rippers" to tight technical woods shots.

Love the water hazards...

Played the last few holes "glow" even though we had never played there before...very well laid out and easy to navigate.
Cons: Be careful of the steep hills! Can be very slippery when the dew starts to come on in the evening....
Other Thoughts: Not sure why Idlewild is rated higher...this course was right up there with Ludington, Michigan's Beauty, Beast and Goliath courses...Flip City of course still stands, in my eyes as the very Best of the Best!

Awesomeness!! One of the BEST I have ever played!!

1    10/24/2009   11/20/2009
Review By: landon77
Pros: -
-HUGE FUN FACTOR!! What a blast.
-Beautiful course, well manicured, epic in scope!
-Fantastic variation. Elevation changes, clear fairways, wooded shots, water shots!
-All holes are marked and clearly defined.
-Fairways are wide open or have a clear path.
-Hole difficulty ranges from easy to advanced.
-An excellent mixture of long and short holes.
-Baskets are good.
-Signs are good.
-Tee pads are excellent.
-Scenery is superb.
-Layout of the course makes sense and has a good flow to it. Very well designed.
-Great piece of land for disc golf!
Cons: -
-To far from Michigan.
-From basket 21 to tee 22 a little confusion exists because you need to cross a street, if you've never played you can look for awhile until you find it.
-Some ridges are steep and could make play dangerous. I fell down as did my friend on the same hole.
-snakes
Other Thoughts: -
-I loved this course. I played it and knew it was one of my favorites of all time. It is right up there with Flip City and better than The Beast in Michigan.
-We came to Kentucky to play Idlewild, but this was the course that made our trip.
-The course has a great variety that will or should appeal to beginners and advanced players.
-The fun factor was awesome. I had a better time playing this then Idlewild.
-I would play this course all the time if I lived close by.
-The course allows for decent scores and is still a challenge.
-SUPER, SUPERB, FANTASTIC, PLAY IT!!!!

2-4    5/25/2010   10/26/2009
Review By: Mark R
This review was updated on 5/26/2010
Pros: Mind-blowing, eye-popping disc golf landscape with lush grassy fairways that puts similar holes at other parks completely to shame. Many holes feature super-fun downhill bomb shots onto beautifully maintained and mowed grassy fairways that could be the best holes at other courses (Holes 1, 2, 22, 24). Others are flatter (but not flat, often with slopes from L to R) and similarly entertaining with terrific tee shots onto near-perfect, well defined grassy fairways (10, 11, 12, 13, 19, 21, 23). Also includes a great overhand hole that offers additional contrast (Hole 20). Course also has top-notch forest holes with ace opportunities (4, 7, 9, 14) and ravine holes even better than Hickory Hills (15, 16) that offer a perfect contrast to the grassy open holes. Big cement tee pads and good signs similar to Idlewild. Lots of squirrels and woodpeckers in forest hole areas create a terrific ambience. Excellent 24 hole course design that seems more intuitive than Idlewild. A good practice basket, wood chips at the front of tees to land on after crush drives. Free admission.
Cons: Not many cons here. The tee for Hole 7 is too close to the basket for Hole 4. Hole 5 is hard to find after Hole 4 (ended up at Hole 7 instead). A couple of so-so but not bad holes (5, 6, 8, 17). No alcohol allowed. Hole 22 took a minute or two to find, but it's close by. Right next to a Police Station. Lacks a bit of challenge for Gold players (compares evenly with Morley Field in San Diego). Few alternate tees.
Other Thoughts: An instant favorite, right from the first hole. Simply excellent from start to finish, with absolutely no truly weak holes anywhere to be found, and the only one to approach Flip City in the sheer number of exceptional holes. Unrivalled course diversity. The best grass of any course I've ever played.

About Time I got to this one

2-4    8/12/2007   10/12/2009
Review By: superberry
This review was updated on 1/24/2010
Pros: Balance, variety, the spice of life! There are some amazing wooded holes here that play up, down, through, and across some very unique ravines. These wooded holes are what disc golf woods lovers love. It is great to introduce water hazards and elevation in the tight woods. Beside just some killer wooded holes, there are lots of chances to air it out on very well designed holes that challenge your shot placement due to the rolling terrain and surrounding rough. OB with the park's roads and the water offer additional and well appreciated challenge. Some of the pins are placed in nice, precarious locations that offer the risk/reward challenge and make you think about placing your upshots and making a good putt versus laying up to avoid a destrutive rollaway or blwoby. The park is very well maintained, both well cut open grass fairways and well cleaned and attended wooded fairways. There is no pay to play here! This is one of the courses of the 100+ that I have played which has it all, everything required in my book to earn a 5-disc rating. Tight woods, cool sharp elevation changes, some risky greens, water hazards, a downhill bomber, more than 18 holes, and worth a roadtrip/overnight stay from far away (especially considering the other courses in the area too)!
Cons: Really, nothing against the course itself. I tend to be harsh on concrete tees that are eroded in the front because my follow through takes me over the edge often, and I also worry about limiting my approach due to planting on the edge and rolling an ankle. You have some erosion here at the front, but the pads are ginormous and the parks department does a great job with landscaping. While the wooded holes are incredible and utilize some of the best ridges, valleys, creeks I've seen, I would like to see more of the open holes dumped and more new wooded wonders. This is a PRO that there is a cool creek winding through the wooded holes in the middle, but most often I'd imagine in is fairly dry and not too much of a hazard. Cool nonetheless. Too many greens are wide open, I prefer much more risky greens.
Other Thoughts: It is about time I got around to writing this review. I played it a while ago and it has never left my mind. I struggled a little bit on this one, and contemplated leaving a 4.5 or 5 disc rating. Not for a nit-picking little choice of definition of "long downhill bomber hole". While the last hole here is technically not what I had in mind as a bomber, it scratches the itch to air it out very well. You can come here, even under the hot and humid KY summer weather like I did, enjoy a fairly quiet and not busy round on a fantastic course that has more than 18 holes (so it's worth a roadtrip in my mind). You get to air it out, you get elevation in the open and in the tight woods, you get a great round of disc golf. I actually played this, then drove to Idlewild and guess what. I skipped Idlewild. I know, that may be blasphemous on here, but I did it and I don't really regret it at all. If I go back to hit up Idlewild, I'll definitely make time to play here again! Come and play it, this course gives you incredible balance and variety, the kind of stuff that will scratch that worst disc golf itch of yours. And it's worth a roadtrip too! This is more of a PDGA Blue level course (definitely not Gold, but not White as indicated, but maybe that's just due to the discrepancies on the tee signs). To me however, you simply cannot lose yourself in the middle of a city park that is joint use (the sounds of kids screaming at the playground, traffic, etc). Setting kills the opportunity for a 5, NOT the design or terrain.

My top course

2-4    6/5/2009   10/5/2009
Review By: kmrynders
Pros: I can confidently say this is my favorite course I've played to date.

Tees, Signs, and baskets are all in great condition. Garbage cans on many holes.

This course will blow you away from the start. The general flow of the course is greatůsave for the odd walk from hole 4 to hole 5 and 6. Head over the parking lot to reach these holes.

This course has everything you could want. Diverse holes and all types of shots. Elevation, water, long, short, lefty, righty, everything is involved. This course will challenge you with risk/reward shots that will keep you coming back. Getting a few birdies isn't too tough, but getting those birdies that are just out of reach will make you addicted to this course.

Most holes are picturesque to the point that, if it's your first time playing the course, you'll stand on the tee and just want to soak in the beauty. There are a handful of holes in the woods that my friends and I just stopped playing and hung out for a while. The grooming on the course is top notch, you'll know what disc path(s) work for the hole and the course challenges you to actually take them.

There are water hazards which add to that whole risk/reward mentality.

All types of players will enjoy playing here. The course isn't just for the seasoned veteran, but if you play here often you will for sure become one. Even the amateur player can grab a few birdies and be happy with their play, while the veterans can strive to hit a double digit negative score.
Cons: I guess the course could get a little crowded, but being a 24 hole course you shouldn't really have too much of a backup. No other real cons, bring a course mapů? It'll help if you get turned around, but you really don't need one if you are paying attention.

This is the course I wish I had as my home course. There really isn't much that could be done to make this course any better than it already is. Play it once and you'll love it. It has everything a golfer could ask for.

a fun course

5+    8/27/2009   8/27/2009
Review By: jrrphil
Pros: This course is at times very challenging, but at the same time it can be played by everyone; beginners, intermediate, and advanced. It has very wide open holes and very tight shots. It is fair to every type of player and does not favor a specific player. It helps to have a strong arm, but it isn't necessary. I love the course because every hole is unique. It is as if God designed the land for a disc golf course. The designer used the land and put a lot of thought into each hole
Cons: Alternate tees and holes exist on many holes. I think if you play the alternate holes than the course ends up being 18 holes. A few next hole signs by baskets would make things so much better for people new to the course. Holes 5 and 6 are reached by going across a parking lot, but most people seem to skip them.
Other Thoughts: The course is 24 holes, going up and in, down and back out of the woods, so it can take 2 plus hours to play. It is very clean, but it would help if everyone used the trash cans. People take good care of the course. In NKY this is probably the 2nd best course to play next to Idlewild, but consider playing this course over Idlewild if you aren't very, very good because although neither are for the faint of heart, Idlewild can end up being a very bad day. At Banklick/Lincoln Ridge I feel you are guaranteed to have a great time even on an off day.

idlewild's BIG brother

1    8/24/2009   8/26/2009
Review By: xs9095
Pros: nice layout,easy to find your way from one hole to another. not alot of thick underbrush to lose a disk. 24 holes!
Cons: none
Other Thoughts: fun factor of 4.5 out of 5 IMO the fun factor is everything. im not one of those guys with 30 disks in a bag,and I dont play tourneys. I play for FUN. i would never travel back to this part of the country for idlewild,but i would for this course.

Challenging and FUN!

1    7/3/2009   7/6/2009
Review By: Cobra165
Pros: Almost every hole is unique. Never a dull moment. Major elevation changes, and some terrific downhill holes. Slightly rocky terrain. Holes designed by someone with an imagination and a purpose. Holes are challenging but always fair, with actual fairways and routes to holes, even in the woods. Very little poke-and-hope. Easy to navigate. Very fun course.
Cons: A couple of cracked tees, but only on short holes where run-up is not needed. A very minor quibble.
Other Thoughts: This course has the one thing that its big brother Idlewild lacks: FUN. Play Idlewild first (a great course too), then come here, and you'll see what I mean. I played with a couple of accommodating locals who showed me around. It was pretty crowded but everyone was cool and courteous. I'm also struck by the seeming lack of vandalism at this course. The locals seem to take pride in their courses. Great to see that. Whoever designed this course knew what they were doing. Granted, they had a fantastic piece of land to work with, but they still had to come up with a layout that utilized the land, and they did a magnificent job. Uphill, downhill (some of the funnest downhills I've ever played), side-hill, you name it. From the first hole, you know you're in for a treat: tee off on a wide open downhill that finishes in the dark woods. It looks a little daunting from the tee, but what a fun hole to start out with! If I have to pick a favorite, it's hole 21(?), which plays along the side of a big hill that slopes down to a pond. There is a building on the right (don't worry--the windows are plexi) which you have to bend your drive around, and if you don't stick the shot, it can roll down into the pond. Your upshot plays through a copse of trees to the basket that waits at the top of the hill. Just beautiful, and very imaginative. This picturesque hole is indicative of the entire course. I wish I could have played it again, but since I play on mostly flat courses in central Illinois, 24 holes up and down these hills had worn me out. Can't wait to go back!

1    4/8/2009   7/4/2009
Review By: DirtyMittenDG
Pros:
Hole Variety/Course Layout-
Good variety here from tightly wooded to mostly wide open. The pin placements with the hills make elevation a factor on alot of holes. Also I would say this course favors "big arm" players, but it will give anyone a challenge.

Course maintenance-
Every hole has nice sized concrete tee pads. Benches and trash cans add to the good maintenance. Overall the park looked really nice, I didnt see one piece of trash on the ground through out the whole course.
Cons:
-Not to many cons here. There were a couple tee signs that needed to be replaced and "next tee" arrows could help in a couple spots.

-Also it was a little busy when I played and we got held up at a few holes.
-Overall this was a great course! Makes for a GREAT day of disc to play here along with idlewild! The people who live in the area are very lucky to have 2 world class courses so close to each other.