Lansing, MI
Grand Woods Park Share
Uploaded By: volklgirl Hole #16 (Taken 8/2009)

great start

2-4    9/23/2013   9/23/2013
Review By: KittyTwist
Pros: - All baskets up and in great repair
- Tees in great condition
- Nice mix of open shots and tricky approaches
Cons: - Mystery holes ... obviously we are not the only ones who missed a hole or two from the curious lay out
- Signage on many holes is missing or ruined so that it's hard to determine how the hole lays out
Other Thoughts: This is my first course and I had a blast. We hit it early so that we don't get trapped by all the after workers and weekenders. And the mysterious "missing" holes are kind of fun to track down and add to the workout, so I don't really mind the confusion.

Fun Course

5+    8/4/2008   4/1/2013
Review By: geoblime
Pros: -Fun lines to the basket
-Laid out pretty well
-Variety of shots will keep you on your toes.
-Mostly golfers so no cross traffic
Cons: -Signage could be better
-A little barren at times
-Trash and graffiti
-One hole if I remember right it just lame
Other Thoughts: I was out for the Amateur Nationals at the Toboggan course. Got to play this course many times while out there. Very fun course in the middle of a park. Would play again.

ahhh, history

1    8/7/2012   8/7/2012
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Aesthetic-Nice multiuse public park. areas for disc golf seem to be exclusive to disc golf which avoids the hazards of people walking through.

Baskets-Nice and in great repair. Visible in some heavier wooded areas. Basket #13 is missing, the pole is there but no basket or chains.

Routing-not bad I guess, this place could use some "next tee" signs in some places. apparently a six-hole lettered loop is in the ground off of #8 (DJ told me when I told him I lost my disc on #10 "long" which is the basket for #D)

Teepads--LOOOOOOOONG concrete teepads in great repair.

DJ-DJ is not only the lost and found guy, he also sells new discs right in the parking lot. I found and returned two discs in this round... one to the L&F box and one to a discer who was LOUD when he lost his favorite champ orc :

Risk v Reward- Great use of the water on this course, thankfully it's been a dry summer!

Variety, a little of everything on this course. Wide open, water, wooded, poke and hope, uphill, downhill, it's all here.
Cons:
Routing/Signage-it looks like new sign posts are in the ground but no signs are present. these would help routing immensely. some of the "back 9" are a bit jumbled without signage.

Missing basket on 13. I'm sure this is some shenanigans but it's still a negative

Lack of advertising of the "lettered loop"-kinda pissed I missed this!!
Other Thoughts: This was the very first course I played ten years ago (and didn't play again for 8 years) and it's changed a LOT since then. Good to get back to my roots! :)

Nice Course!

1    7/28/2010   8/4/2010
Review By: m1morri1
Pros: Nice park with water coming into play on some holes. Some blind holes make it interesting. Extra long tee pads were nice.
Cons: The signs were not very accurate.
Other Thoughts: A guy sells discs out of his truck which is sweet (descent prices).

Memorable in many ways...

5+    10/20/2009   7/31/2010
Review By: laschus
Pros: Extremely picturesque especially in autumn, friendly locals to assist, challenging without being stupid, easily accessible, a good mixture of tight and wide open holes.
Cons: Easy to get lost, poor signage, lots of graffiti and trash, easy to get lost, one preposterous hole layout, did I mention easy to get lost?
Other Thoughts: I spent four months in Lansing as my "home away from home" and played Grand Woods at least a couple of times a week after work when the weather allowed. The locals were terrific...DJ, the local icon, was always at the ready with disks. The scenery was worth the visit in late September/October as the traffic died down and I got to know a few locals. Once you manage to find your way from hole to hole throughout the course it is both challenging and rewarding. Grand Woods raised me from novice to intermediate in a short while, and I will always have fond memories.

my home away from home

5+    7/27/2010   7/29/2010
Review By: douglat2
Pros: let me tart off by saying that this is my home course so i am pretty biased. now, it's a great little course. 18 perminent holes and during tournament play there are 36. good mix of shots, and water comes into play on at least 4 holes and when it's really wet it comes into play on 8 holes. good mix of distance and control shots.
Cons: always busy. if you want to play a nice mellow round and not have to wait around all day to throw. go early. after about 4 o'clock you'll wait at every hole. the course is beat up as well. people don't take care of it and there is littler everywhere. that's not the courses fault it is the people playing the courses fault
Other Thoughts: really fun course, if you're in lansing give this one a try but make it out early. say hi to DJ the man the myth the legend. he's the guy selling discs out of his truck. he's very knowledgable and a really cool guy.

Grand Woods Park

1    9/12/2009   9/13/2009
Review By: kidon
Pros: - Nice variety of holes (open drives, tunnels, dogs, over trees, etc.)
- Scenic course into and out of the woods
- Played on a saturday at 1pm and didn't wait on a single tee box (one group let us play through)
- Some swimming kid retrieved my disc in the pond
Cons: - No holes with 500+ distance
- Somewhat difficult to navigate, no signs or markers to next tees, have to walk back across a couple of holes to get to the next
- Some tee signs missing
- Some baskets are old disc bouncers
- You will spend some time looking for discs
- Kid's brother wanted $3 to return my disc :)
Other Thoughts: - Some blind shots, bring a spotter
- Water in play on a few holes, hopefully some locals are swimming
- Fun course to play

1    7/20/2009   7/20/2009
Review By: ejvogie
Pros: Good use of terrain, some small elevation changes. Some people have said that it's easy to lose discs in the water, but I (luckily) didn't find that to be true. It just made me use some shots to fade away from the lake. Locals were very helpful in pointing me in the right direction to tee and pin locations.
Cons: Some sort of navigational aid could be used here. I almost didn't find the tees for holes 5 and 16. The maps at the tees could also use some work, as I skipped hole 5 because I thought I would be throwing into a swamp, instead of around it.
Other Thoughts: Better tees signs and maybe some 'Next Tee' signs would go a long way into making this a 4 or a 4.5. I thoroughly enjoyed my round.

Way too wet

1    4/3/2009   4/16/2009
Review By: AWA05
Pros: large course, maped out, lots of hole variety, easy to find if you know the area.
Cons: Not an early spring course. Many holes were flooded and un playable. Will def. be better when the ground dries up a little bit
Other Thoughts: (I did not play here, my fiance did)

Grand Woods

5+    8/18/2008   8/29/2008
Review By: worthdan
Pros: good course layout with a good mixture of holes; long, short, open, wooded, right, left. fun course to play. if you loose a disc and want a new one or have questions about a disc there is a really nice guy named DJ that is there most of the time (he's the guy with the small pickup with lots of discs in the back of it)
Cons: almost always over crowded... most of the people are cool but on more than one occasion i have ran into.. um.. not cool people. in the spring time a few of the holes get flooded and really muddy.
Other Thoughts: fun course. if you want to play another fun course that is less crowded then check out Fitzgerald Park in Grand Ledge. it's about 15 minutes away from Grand Woods.