Layout Extinct

Seatac DGC Share
Uploaded By: Aragorn Hole #18

1    1/16/2009   1/17/2009
Review By: gwillim
Pros:
-Good Teepads
-Kiosk at hole 1 with map
-Baskets in good shape
-Great mix of hole lengths from under 250 to over 500.
-Many of the holes had benches.
-Very fair Lefty vs. Righty with big dog-legs in both directions.
-Decent course flow (if you've got a map)
-True par 4s (although they are all stated as 3, argh)
-Lot's of LONG tunnel shots, often times finishing with dog-legs.
-I don't know what else to say, the course forces you to decide where you are wanting to land for your next shot, not for your upshot or your putt, but often times for your next drive. That's golf!
Cons:
-Vandalism rampant
-Tee signs are mostly vandalized or missing
-Without a guide or map, you'd be SOL.
-I think it's too challenging for the average player to enjoy.
-Didn't see any facilities for water/restroom
-Fair amount of trash strewn about.
-Course is listed as a par 54, which is ridiculous, probably closer to a par 59.
Seatac is an amazing Pro course. It's a playground of difficult shot after difficult shot. The back nine has probably 4-5 par fours on it, many of which dog-leg to the left or to the right. Often you can't see the basket from the teepad, and I don't see this as being a bad thing at all. I had heard that Seatac was the most challenging course in WA and I haven't found any evidence otherwise. It was amazingly fun. I thoroughly enjoyed my round, and I stopped keeping score about halfway through because I was shooting so poorly.

If you plan on heading to Seatac for the first time, MAKE SURE YOU PRINT OFF A MAP. Read the other reviews below and see why, there are some teepads that are tricky to find, and some teepads face towards baskets that aren't the basket you're actually shooting at. It's a little confusing. So get a map, or better yet, a guide, and get ready for more double bogeys than you've ever had.

If the course was taken care of better, I would rate Seatac 4.5 stars. This is the best course I've played in Washington state, and I can't wait to go back.

like a MAZE

1    9/13/2007   1/14/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: This course is so long and so by itself that its as if you are in a maze that you must disc golf your way out of. On number six I drove too far off the fairway and I remember foolishly thinking that I was perhaps in another fairway and I should be careful. I wasn't, there is just no way. A designer could easily fit 72 holes on the amount of space that is dedicated to this park. A typical Seatac hole is well signed with a good tee pad. The typical hole has long fairways with a few trouble spots to avoid, maybe a big tree just off center or a group of bushes or vines. Long and straight is usually awarded off tee. Then it has a thinking mans approach shot, there is so many very mature trees and bushes that I mean this for any drive too. A drive that is left, right, or center of most fairways will have different sometimes very different approach looks. Finally the basket is guarded somehow by being in a unique basket area. Then you make an honest walk to the next tee to a completely different area in the maze. In short, I loved it.

Its my hunch that this place was once a neighborhood before the airport was installed. With so much mature, and weirdly open vegetation its only a few more hills and ponds away from being perfect. The course felt so secluded to me that I got the feeling that any random bush on any random fairway would be good enough for nature, or for lovers. I did see a few joggers and there was a few groups that played through, but to me they just felt like other people trapped in the maze.
Cons: There was a moment at the end of the round where we all had a laugh at how big our scores were. A three here means that your arm is a cannon and or you are a lucky golfer. The variety on this course is long and longER. There were a couple of hilarious moments in which our foursome was lost and none of us seemed able to comprehend the map. It was like Spinal Tap aimlessly trying to take the stage. Other times because of the wildness of the vegetation it was all hands on deck to look for a disc that was only a few feet off course.

Then there are the planes. The first six holes I felt like I could never get used to the noise, that I was going to suffer hearing damage even though I used to play drums. The next six holes were spent having to suffer through awkward pauses as a plane powered through the air. The last six holes were like a seamless dance between ringing chains and pauses for planes, honestly its strange how fast you get used to it.
Other Thoughts: Its my opinion that there is more shot variety at nearby Lakewood and that a beginner might get tired and frustrated here. After spending this much time thinking about my time here, I ache to play this course again. Right before I teed off number one, I got a recorded message telling me my flight was cancelled. It was cool being able to see all the Horizon Air flights and be able to signal to them how I felt about it. Its funny, when I fly into Seattle I always end up telling my new flight buddies about how I'm in town to play disc golf and I get to show off this course to them just before (and I mean just before) touching down.

Left alot to be desired.

1    10/25/2008   12/2/2008
Review By: Disc Dog
This review was updated on 5/27/2009
Pros: A great layout. Extremely challenging with many blind throws from the tee. The concrete tees were nice and in good condition.
Cons: This is one of the worst maintained courses I have played. The holes are ill marked. Signs with the shot layout are nearly nonexistent. Signage to the next tee is nearly nonexistent and inaccurate when present, especially 10. The thorn bushes will eat you alive if a disc goes in. Garbage was strewn everywhere. Finding 10 and 15 was nearly impossible.
Other Thoughts: If you base your opinion of how good a course is simply by how tough it is than this course is a 4.

However, when you you look at all of the things that can make or break a course Seatac gets a lousy score. I have played some courses that are tougher than Seatac that are a joy to play (Tyler, Downriver, and Campgaw for instance are all tougher). But things like good signage, proper upkeep of the park, litter, a good local club to help the upkeep (Downriver and Newport News have great clubs I have come into contact with), parking, bathrooms, etc. Seatac does not hold up here at all. It could, with some work, be a favorite in The Northwest. As I continue to travel and play other courses around the country my opinion of this course only gets stronger. So while it is definitely worth playing it is a long way from being even average at this point. Just to many things need to be fixed.

My guess is the vandalism that was evident on what signage was there is why they do not have new signs. It would have been better with someone to show me around and explain where the baskets were in relation to the tee.The map that is on here is helpful.

Difficult but Beautiful Course by Sea-Tac Airport

2-4    9/6/2008   9/12/2008
Review By: lari
Pros:
- Exceptionally challenging course (also a con, depending on your skill level)
- Airplanes on landing path overhead (also a con if you don't like planes and noise)
- Wide variety of distances and defenses
- Beautiful park with paths, meadows, and a variety of trees and flora
- The front 9 are reasonable in length and vary in difficulty. Overall, 9 of the best holes to play in the state
Cons: - Exceptionally challenging course (also a pro, depending on your skill level)
- Airplanes on landing path overhead (also a pro, if you like planes and don't mind noise)
- When the underbrush has not been cleared out things can be GNARLY! Lost my very first driver (Valkyrie) here
- Some holes are so long and defended you need to scout out the pin, and even then it doesn't help...
- You MUST bring a map. Print it, draw it, take a cell phone picture - whatever you need to do to navigate
Other Thoughts: This course has some of the best designed holes I have ever played, and some of the longest most difficult best defended mind-boggling holes ever played. Single digits above par is a victory in my book!

Nice course...loud airplanes

5+    8/30/2008   8/30/2008
Review By: Aragorn
This review was updated on 1/1/2011
Pros: course has 18 holes with good length. Plenty of trees, yet it is fair because there is space between the trees. The course has been cleared of a lot of brush, blackberries and probably even a few trees. I went two weeks after a tournament and the course was in great shape. There are actually defined grass fairways now where as not long ago much of this was scrubby underbrush and thorn bushes. Definitely much improved course conditions from earlier reviews. The tee signs are good with distance, dogleg info and next tee info on each sign (unfortunately many of the tee sign are vandalized). Benches and trash buckets throughout the course.
Cons: The planes are LOUD!!! It is not the courses fault; however, this is a major distraction. As said above many of the informative tee signs are vandalized and useless. Baskets #4 and #9 are too close. Thirty foot putting circles were still visible spray painted on the ground from the recent tournament. The circles overlapped by a good ten feet on these two baskets. Why? There was plenty of room for #9 basket to be moved somewhere else. An approach shot on #9 could easily nail someone trying to put on #4. No real elevation change.
Other Thoughts: Overall SEATAC is a nice piece of land and the layout is great (except for the placement of #9 basket so close to #4 basket). This is more of a professional layout in that the course is long and with many tree obstacles. A few baskets are placed right behind trees. The course looks like it has been opened up (former underbrush must have been pretty bad). A really nice course is emerging here. Bring a map if you want to get around easy.

That being said…Oh my, are those planes loud. SEATAC is a big-time airport with massive planes that fly right over the course. The planes are very close to the ground. Depending on the flight schedule 6 planes may take off in a 10 minute period then maybe you can go 10 minutes without any planes taking off. The noise pollution is so bad I will bring ear plugs if I am playing by myself early in the morning when not many other golfers are around.

The course itself is becoming really nice. You will have to judge for yourself what you think of the airplanes.

airplane!

7/25/2008   7/25/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: Long and tight challenging fair-ways (they don't unnecessarily kick you deep into the woods like some courses). Well maintained, clearly dedicated work-bushes and trees are cut back as they should be instead of being allowed to grow in and ruin or block a hole like at many courses. Cement tees, course map at 1st hole. Beautiful land with many varieties of trees and colors.
Cons: Very hard to find #10's tee, no signs toward it, hidden in woods. Back 9 often requires scouting ahead to figure out the hole. Loud jets taking off above you every few minutes make it hard to focus if playing for $.
Other Thoughts: Bring a map, a local, or take a picture of/copy down the map and save yourself a hassle. It is navigable though-just takes some effort.

Most Difficult Course in Washington!

7/20/2008   7/22/2008
Review By: tchase
Pros: This course is the toughest course I have ever played by far. The length of the holes makes for difficult approaches or second drives on 3/4 of all the holes. For such a long layout, it has narrow fairways as well which weren't expected. I heard you have to have a big arm here but I wasn't expecting to have to have a big arm with perfect accuracy as well. Overall its a great course and is very challenging. This place will make you a better golfer or will dislocate your shoulder in the process.
Cons: Narrow and Long. The fairways were nice and mowed when I was there but other reviews talked about long grass which I could tell would be a problem if you played here at the wrong time. The course is also difficult to navigate and there has been a lot of vandalism to the signs at the tee pads (punk kids).
Other Thoughts: Amazing course and by far the most challenging in Washington. Players who make this their home course can play anywhere. Don't expect a score below +10 until you've played it a few times. Also be on the lookout for the Jet Washes coming off the airplanes about 15-20 seconds after the planes pass by. You literally can see and hear the jet wash go by and it looks like a cloudy ribbon streaking through the sky. It's a trip.

Toughest in WA

6/7/2008   6/7/2008
Review By: HarbDeaf
Pros: Give it a high rating because I believe and have asked around that this is WA's toughest course. Flat. Long holes, has a wild feel to it. Have only played twice, and love the openess of it. Meadow. Plenty of trees to go around.
Cons: This course wears you out. Esp if you lose your disc or spend alot of time looking for it. Come prepared to spot very very carefully when you drive your disc.

The airplanes flying overhead do affect the air quality of the place. Not for the chemically senstitive.
Other Thoughts: On my first 9 holes, I only got three par. 4s and 5s would be the norm for this course.

Come prepared to "Air" it out and pray.

Under the Planes

5/14/2008   5/14/2008
Review By: jsalyers1
Other Thoughts: As other reviewers have stated - this is a challenging course... but let me add my 2 cents from a rec player who attempts tounament play now and then. You won't get any better playing easy courses. There - its been said. My average drive is in the mid 200's... and I can par most holes... except a few on the back 9. But I have mad par at least once on every hole... so it is possible even for a short thrower like me!

Potential Versus Actuality?

7/8/2006   3/13/2008
Pros: The course sits on a rather nice piece of land. There are many trees and lots of underbrush. The holes are long and challenging. The fairways are narrow and challenging. The roughs are dark and foreboding. If you earn a birdie here, you should be proud, they aren't easy to come by. The course is signed well enough and the tee pads are all good (cement.) The course is seldom crowded, either with players or park users.
Cons: The course gets completely overgrown during the summer months. This results in much time spent looking for lost discs in two foot high grass. A little maintenance would go along way towards improving this course. The roughs are ugly. This is definitely not a course you would play by yourself.
Other Thoughts: The course is generally geared towards the more advanced player. It's a mostly frustrating experience for us recreational players. Perhaps that why the course is seldom crowded or under- utilized as a previous reviewer reported. If 75% of the players find it to be an overwhelmingly, frustrating experience, that leaves the course to the other 25% to love and cherish as their own. The rest of us will drive 2.3 miles up the street and play Lakewood King County Park, which is always busy.