Sumner, WA
Riverside Disc Golf Park Share

improved layout

2-4    3/17/2014   3/19/2014
Review By: John M. Fretz
Pros: great scenery (river was fast and furious)
friendly and helpful locals
better signage and layout than the last time I was there
some challenging and long holes, and some technical shorter ones. Fun course
Cons: I don't remember seeing any bathrooms
Easy to get turned the wrong way at hole 11 or 12, (pay close attention to map on tee-sign)
pretty far from my home or I would play it more
Other Thoughts: Previous reviews mentioned the horrible layout, lack of signage, and the confusion of different course layouts criss-crossing each other. I didn't see any problems with the current layout that u can follow the signs thru. I saw evidence of old teepads and holes, but if you get lost here, you just aren't paying attention. Each tee sign has a map for the hole you're on and on that map theres an indicator of where the next tee will be. Pretty simple

rough in winter but still fun

1    1/15/2014   1/15/2014
Review By: longandwrong
Pros: Lots of parking. All holes have pads and good signs showing you approx. where the basket is. And if you look at the sign closely you can see the general direction of the next tee box.
Cons: It would help if the baskets had a number painted on them because you can see a lot of baskets from almost every pad. Lot's of pads in the park but you play the ones that have a sign. Number 11 pad faces the wrong way so you at first will throw to the wrong basket, which we did. Then we couldn't find 12. Fortunately we found a couple of players and they told us how we had played it wrong. 11 basket is down along side of river then in on the right.
Winter made the course look ugly, leaves and branches everywhere. I'm thinking summer would be nice. Again there are a lot of pads so remember you need to find the signs at the pads.
Other Thoughts: Download a map if this is your first time. I think I'll download for my second time which there will be one. Could be interesting throwing on some holes in the summer when the vegetation has grown out...like number 11 :) Fun course for an afternoon on a sunny day.

Disc eater

1    6/15/2013   6/20/2013
Review By: Brian_Lowrey
Pros: Nice design
Cons: Disc eater, don't play w/o a spotter and still plan on loosing disc on errant throw
Other Thoughts: w/o maintenance just not interested in playing this course, way to much time spotting and looking for discs!

Confusing at times and flat, but fun

1    6/18/2012   6/18/2012
Review By: b-mart
Pros: This course plays through a fairly large park, and the course part of it seems to be for disc golf only. I can't imagine it being used for much more unless you just wanted to walk your dog or something. The park is pretty isolated as well, so there are few distractions during your round.

Most of the teepads (with the exception of holes 9 and 10) are concrete, and the baskets were in great condition. They appeared to be a mix of Innova DiscCatchers and Lightning-style baskets.

There is plenty of parking available. I played in the pouring rain so the course was empty, but I'm guessing that parking will be available even if it is packed.

The signs at each teepad are phenomenal, offering many different lines and giving different baskets that you can throw to and the distances to them. All of the teepads have benches as well, and there are several trashcans spread throughout the course.

Now for the course design itself:

The designer of this course did a spectacular job with the land available to them. Although there is zero elevation change on this course, there is plenty of challenge due to the trees, and they did a great job of creating lines and fairways where many would have just seen a large, wooded area. Most of the holes on the course are in the 300-350' range, so this is a great course for the average amateur golfer. A few holes have multiple teepads and/or pins to throw to (hole 13 has two of each), so this course will never get stale. There are enough trees wanting to challenge your drive and approach that this course will never get stale anyway. I would liken it to a flatter (and probably more challenging) White River.
Cons: The biggest con has to be the navigation. While they seem to be working on fixing this problem, it still isn't easy for a first time visitor. Putting signs on the tees is a huge help, and having those signs point you to where the next tee will be is as well, but the baskets need to be marked and they need to add tape to point you in the right direction. The few "next tee" arrows scattered throughout the course aren't quite enough.

I never did find the official teepad for 12. My phone wouldn't load the map either, so I just had to throw backwards from one of the teepads for hole 5. Apparently the real hole 12 is much longer than that though.

The map on here needs to be updated. Most of it is accurate, but hole 11 doesn't match what I saw on the course. Maybe that's why I couldn't find 12?

As has been stated by previous reviewers, the rough can be very unforgiving for errant shots or shots off of trees. I nearly lost a disc on two holes, and without a spotter I would have spent a lot more time slogging through the tall grass in search of my discs. These are some of the narrowest fairways that I've played due to the tall grass/rough, with hole 18 probably being the toughest. I understand that 18 can't be mowed and I'm fine with that, but spending as much time looking for discs and teepads as you do playing does start to wear on you.

The river really only comes into play on one hole, and that's a super easy RHFH mid-range shot. I was hoping for a hole like number 13 at White River that you dread every time that you play it, but then celebrate every time that you survive.
Other Thoughts: Based on the marking on the pavilion, this is in a flood plain. I'll also assume that this is the case because many of the baskets near the river (like 8, 9, and 10) are on stands and chained to trees rather than being cemented into the ground. This isn't a con because I'm sure that flooding is a rare situation, but it needs to be mentioned that it can happen.

Hole 1 is on the far left of the open area you'll see on your right when you pull in. Look for the pavilion and then just look to the left of it. You'll see two benches and tee signs. One of those is hole 1.

A kiosk with a map really needs to be installed somewhere. The pavilion looks like it will have one, but it doesn't. There should also be a "lost discs" box somewhere. Any course with this much lost disc potential should have one.

Pay extra close attention to the tee signs. It helps a lot to memorize where the next tee will be based on the arrows on the signs.

While this course is a good drive from Seattle, it makes for an enjoyable round. I won't necessarily become a regular here, but it is absolutely worth a return trip... With a spotter and bright discs.

Fun challenge

5+    9/18/2011   10/11/2011
Review By: Leftist
Pros: A well done revision from a confusing multi-layout to a straight-forward 18 hole course with decent flow. Despite flat terrain, makes good use of the trees and river hazard without being annoying. Exceptionally challenging pars on 2 (long) and 12 (any time).
Cons: Overgrowth can make finding an errant throw - or even a good one at times - a bit of an adventure. On hole 18, this is just 'par for the course' as wetlands protection prohibits mowing along the stream.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the courses I play regularly due to proximity and it doesn't grow stale as there is always something for me to improve upon. A kiosk with course map/layout, etc.should be put up by the parking area.

Riverside DGC in Sumner

5+    6/11/2011   6/12/2011
Review By: klurtoris
Pros: Good varied length holes - Hole 2 is over 600' while hole 10 is under 200'. Challenging basket placement on most holes. New cement pads laid recently (only 2 holes have rubber matting for tees - holes 9 and 10). Layout used to be a problem here, but the new course layout is much easier to follow.
Cons: Very high grass in some places makes errant throws difficult to find. Hole 11 is a boomerang to the left - I only know this by running into one of the individuals who laid out the course. Abundance of underbrush and blackberries on several holes. Crossing disc paths on holes 7 and 11 can be an issue. Do NOT follow the maps on this website for this course, they are not accurate.
Other Thoughts: Currently there are temporary tee signs, donations are being accepted for permenant signs. A new map of the course would be nice for those who haven't played here before. I've only been playing this sport for under a year and since I've started, this course has improved quite a bit. Overall I would've given the couse a 4 if grass and some underbrush were maintained a little better.

Ready for a Challenge

5+    2/15/2011   3/1/2011
Review By: LouTran-45383
Pros: This course has been through a lot in the last few months, but it is finally joined the list of must play courses in Western Washington. There are lots of big holes that could be considered par 4's which allow big arm players to pull out the big dog. There are also lots of technical shots which require precises aim and distance control. Riverside is very tricky, and birdies do not come easy, but this course will make you a better player.
Cons: Over growth can make it hard to find discs during spring and summer. Also, the Puyallup River is in play and will eat your disc if you let it. There are multiple tee pads that are no longer in use after the revamping, which is a shame because they are nice and grippy. Navigating the new course is still one of the problem that needs to be addressed. With the new layout Riverside is now aimed for the advanced to professional player, rec players may find it a bit over there head
Other Thoughts: There are some that drag this course through the mud because of over growth of vegetation, and the fact that losing discs is a possibility. But i think it is time to start looking at the good aspects instead of the bad. the locals have worked hard to turn this land into a tournament quality disc golf course, and it is definitely being steered in that direction

CHALLENGING

5+    1/4/2011   1/4/2011
Review By: S3R14L_K1LL4
Pros: Fun and Challenging!
Not overly crowded
Well maintained
Friendly Faces
Cons: Some bigger groups don't allow smaller groups to pass through.

THE RIVER LOVES DISCS
Other Thoughts: This is a fun and challenging course, giving way to multiple types of throws. The random layouts, allow plenty of hole variety. The course is spread out enough, that you needn't worry about over crowding...yet compact enough to make for multiple rounds, if desired, BEWARE THE RIVER

WOW

1    5/19/2009   9/16/2010
Review By: Bakenstine
Pros: -Amazing layout with many options of play, interesting obstacles, and a nice local following.
-Challenging and intriguing around every turn
-Weathered the floods prior to my playing the course and appeared to be rebounding (I missed out playing there this past May, but I WILL be back).
-Fairly good signage given the complexity of the layout
Cons: -It can be difficult to navigate, and if it weren't for locals helping us out, we might not have stayed on the tracks for playing one of the 3 18 hole arrangements
-Lots of treacherous and snaggly rough, watch errant discs carefully!
-Some cross-hole interferance between other groups throwing and your own flight path
-A few points of hazard for pedestrians as well.
-Some parts were clearly hit hard by the floods, I do not know how the current conditions are first hand, but it would appear flooding may be a recurrent problem in the future
Other Thoughts: Might be best served to set a permanent 27 holes here, yet I think that this idea for the multi-option layout, though not unique, is rare and interesting to see. I suppose if I were a local I would love the opportunity to choose a new way to play each time I went out to mix it up!

Less Confusing Now

2-4    7/23/2010   7/23/2010
Review By: jeromy
Pros: Quiet and secluded, challenging course. I think there is a little bit for everyone here. Its shaded pretty well, and is a cool place to play on a hot day.
Cons: Poor signage. Some trash and stuff, needs a little TLC.
Other Thoughts: I couldnt find my way around the first time I played either, so I made a map for everyone to use. It is available here:
cheers!