Mandan, ND
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Wild Expedition

1    9/15/2013   9/17/2013
Review By: ACE Ventura
Pros: This 24 hole course is a loooong, beautiful course that utilizes the parks elevation changes with every hole and intertwine with as many of the trees as possible.

The layout of the course is quite well done, with it venturing off into the large hills and valleys of the Mandan area. Only a couple of holes call for backtracking or shared fairways/walk paths and when I was there no one else was, so I feel like there is not much worrying about other people throwing. Hole 24 doesn't quite bring you back to the parking lot but it does finish near the hole 1 basket, so it's a quick walk back to your car.

All of the tees are natural dirt/ grass and are marked with a sign that simply states the number. Most of the following tees are easy to find due to mowed pathways and often there is an arrow pointing your way. The exception was finding Hole 2, it's not down the path you'd think it was, go down into the adjacent tree filled valley. You have to drive from a path down there through a small gap in the trees.

This course is packed full of amazing holes. Despite the difficulty of the wind and brutal roughs, each hole was definitely thought out and you will definitely need to be required to pull all the shots you command. It was awesome to be challenged constantly.

There are trash cans attached to every tee-post, so there is no excuse to leave trash on the ground.
Cons: The fast to learn biggest con is the unforgiving long grass, swamps, and thick trees that line every fairway on this course. I lost my Archon in the swamp off hole 10 but bad throws happen. However, for as many times as I landed in just the long grass, I never lost one of those discs and I don't think the roughage really detracts from this course as bad as everyone says. The fairways are quite fair to land in, but it becomes difficult to hit them consistently with the constant ND wind.

The wind. It's a hassle that you can't avoid so you have to be able to play with it. Some days are better than others though and it isn't overly killer.

Not all tee signs are very informational and none of them have maps on them. With so many blind holes it would be great to have maps. Also not all holes are where you would logically think them to be, such as Hole 16 and then 17, the baskets are kind of tucked away into the bushes/ trees.

No bathrooms... but plenty of hidden spots.
Other Thoughts: I think this course has got a bad rep due to people being too intimidated by the rough that seems to gobble up discs, but the fairways really are well mowed and reasonable in size, just use bright discs and hope for the best! However, everyone is right when they say Bring A Spotter!! I played this course solo and was able to navigate it fine myself and I only lost 1 disc and it was a swamp so it really isn't That bad. However the blind shots are very sketchy and a spotter would have made it a hundred times nicer.

HOLE 2's BASKET IS A WASP NEST! PROCEED WITH CAUTION. I was attacked by a swarm of wasps and stung multiple times when I hit chains. Not a great way to start a round let me tell you.

I gave this course 4 stars because the signage really needs to be better for a course this difficult and the rough can be tough if you can't avoid it (and I was attacked by bees), however I thought it was worth favoriting because it is extremely unique, I've never seen a course like it so far and it really challenged my abilities every step of the way!

Almost...

1    7/2/2013   7/5/2013
Review By: joelwpg
Pros: This course seemed to have it all, i was very much looking forward to playing it. Love all the elevation changes, and big shots. Great use of what the trees they had. Would be a nice course to play on a calm day..gl with that one :p
Cons: No map and a confusing layout meant more time looking for holes than playing, and when i wasn't looking for the next hole i was trying to find my discs. The course is mostly rough, long grass,and bushes with very small cleared fairways and paths. Also watch out for poison ivy, wood ticks.
Other Thoughts: Don't play this one solo, you will want a spotter. (they do warn you about this on the sign at the start) If you can, play with someone who has been there before, you will save yourself a lot of time. I never ended up finding all 24 holes. I think this course "could" be a lot better.

5+    10/26/2011   6/26/2012
Review By: Mincus14
Pros: Very nice course. Lots of elevation changes and a lot of variety in the holes. Narrow treed holes and wide open holes too. Well signed and well laid out. Not very busy at all there are usually only a couple other people on the course when I play.
Cons: Very long and requires a lot of walking up and down hills. No concrete tee pads. The brush off of the fairways in the rough is really thick and prickly in some places - not too fun to go looking for an disc in there.
Other Thoughts: Fun course and it's pretty challenging. Just try to stay on the fairways.

If you're in the area, don't miss this course!!!

1    11/18/2010   11/18/2010
Review By: Cradical
Pros: This course is by far my favorite course so far. Huge elevation change on nearly all the holes. A good mixture of holes in the trees and out, with huge uphill shots, and the most spectacular downhill shots. The view alone would be a good reason to play this course.
The course was layed out in a way that makes sense once you've played it.
None of the holes are like anything I have ever played before. I'd say about half the holes would be signature holes if they were at a different course.
The fairways are all mowed very well, so it's clear where you are supposed to go from the tee.
The pictures of the course don't really do it justice.
I don't think there is a hole at this course that is easy. Most of the distances are long enough with enough elevation change that deuces are hard to come by.
Cons: Not good for windy days?
Other Thoughts: There are a lot of reasons why first timers might not like it if you don't have a guide. The course is pretty confusing, and there isn't a map or anything. Also if you're out of shape, you might want to stay away from this one. Make sure to bring hiking boots.

To be perfectly honest, I can't see how anybody would dislike this course. I guess if you're in to having bathrooms nearby, trash cans all over, clear maps and such you wouldn't like this. But come on, we're all grown ups here, is it that hard to go before hand and hang on to your trash til after and use your common sense to find the holes?

cool course

1    9/26/2010   10/3/2010
Review By: Brent
Pros: Tough course with wide open long range shots.
Cons: Needs better markings or maps for next hole and where the baskets are. For playing the first time through it was a little hard to find your way in a couple areas.
Other Thoughts: If its windy, you may want to play General Sibley Park instead.

1    6/13/2009   6/14/2009
Review By: amandarene98
Pros: Hilly and Challenging. Like the Short Tees!
Cons: Not well marked, was kind of lost sometimes trying to get from hole to hole. Needs better markers
Other Thoughts: The poison ivy and oak is the least of your worries. I took my family and dog out there and we pulled about 20 ticks off of us. I don't think we'll ever go back to that course.

Exhausting!

4/7/2008   4/7/2008
Review By: Whisker Biscuit
Pros: 24 uniquely challenging holes. Extreme elevation changes, many wind tunnels, elevated baskets, good mix of straight, dogleg, tight, and wide fairways, and mandatories.
Cons: Almost too hard in places. Though not finished, the 'through the hoop' mandatory seems impossible with the location of what I believe was the tee; not all holes clearly marked. Bring hiking boots and long pants as you will be hiking up and down steep grades through natural prairie grasses and weeds and will occasionally encounter water and poison ivy.
Other Thoughts: This course is in my home town and has come a long way from the unkempt 9-holer I remember when I first started playing. The most challenging course I have played to date! I look forward to seeing it when it's completely finished.