Moscow, ID
University of Idaho Share
Uploaded By: cefire Hole #4
3 / 285ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Unforgiving Winds Is An Understatement!

1    5/3/2014   5/8/2014
Pros: The U of Idaho Disc Golf Course is set mostly on a area of campus across the street from the Kibbie Dome. The course's first three holes mostly play back and forth across the wide expanse of the parking lot before entering the main part of the course which is a small green, hilly area featuring some boarded up maintenance type buildings. This area (holes # 4-9) features a couple of fun little downhill throws like # 5 which is 250', a longer open hole 306' on # 8 and then finishes with # 9 which is a nice closing ACE run of 220' down to a basket set in a large Cedar tree.

The course has decent concrete tee pads. The Mach III baskets are in OK shape but the tee signs have mostly been trashed beyond readability.

The winds on the first three holes were incredibly strong making these holes most interesting but also terribly frustrating! The strong wind also affected my throw on # 4.
Cons: Gale force winds on holes 1-3. Throwing back and forth over the paved parking lot and dealing with the winds on holes 1-3.
Trashed signs.
Numbers are off most of the baskets but course is small so navigation is self-evident.
Other Thoughts: I think if I were to play this course on any kind of a regular basis, on these extra windy days, I would just play it as a six hole course skipping the first three. # 9 was fun, I emptied my bag trying to hit chains.

If I were a Vandal, I know I'd play this course. There isn't much competition from any other courses hereabouts!

5+    10/22/2013   2/10/2014
Review By: fuegoador
Pros: Short and open, good for a quick round when you don't have a lot of time to mess around.
Cons: First three holes go over a large gravel parking lot that can trash your discs even if you have a good throw. University has decided that they are going for a "natural" look to the course so they don't mow the grass on several of the holes. This can result in it being hard to find discs in the fall.

2-4    11/30/2013   12/24/2013
Review By: idahooldguy
This review was updated on 1/1/2014
Pros: - Holes 4-9 were decent and had some elevation change and tree obstacles.
- #9 is a nice short downhill "Ace" shot that is tucked nicely into some pine trees.
- Rarely crowded; I've played 4 rounds here and have only seen a few other players.
Cons: - Holes 1-3 were wide open and long, which is my least favorite type of hole. Some players will consider this a "Pro"
- As other reviewers have noted, there is some crossover/hole crowding and potential for getting whacked by a disc. For example, #6 tee crosses the #5 fairway and #2 and #3 use the same fairway going in opposite directions. I had to wait for another player the last time I played.
- Not a very attractive course considering how beautiful the Palouse country is.
Other Thoughts: I was disappointed after playing this course for the first time because I expected a really pretty course nestled in the rolling hills of the Palouse. However, the university gave the course designers a questionable piece of land to work with. It's a good thing there is some nice elevation changes here or it would be a very weak course. I wouldn't make a special trip to play there, but if you're in Moscow I'd give it a go.

Worst course

1    5/2/2013   5/3/2013
Review By: DiscGolfer16022
Pros: The use of the land was well thought out with the first few holes allowing you to throw a big shot. Throughout the course you have the few filers to to make it flow.
Cons: Most of the holes you are throwing at the other tee box with the possibility of hitting other players or throwing across another fairway.
Other Thoughts: I've played plenty of courses and I've never been more afraid of getting hit while playing. I was out there with my wife and mother-in-law and they had to watch out as well.

Super-Unique-atast-i-lastic

1    3/22/2009   3/22/2011
Review By: cefire
Pros: As the title says, you are not soon going to forget playing a round at the University of Idaho course. The main feature of the course is the fact that you play directly through old boarded up buildings for several of the holes. I've added a couple of photos so everyone can take a gander at the craziness here! The other really nice characteristic of this course is that it is up on a relatively open hill which, in addition to creating a few nice elevation-laden holes, gives great views of the surrounding city and parts of the campus and nearby Kibbie-Dome. Because of the low tree cover, you'll be able to have a lot of flexibility in choosing your approach line off the tee and will mainly have to yield only to the whim of the wind when deciding what shot to throw.
Cons: The large open holes near the start of the course are incredibly dangerous as they play very, very close to an area designated for RV's and other football party folks. We skipped the most dangerous of these holes, but while we were there, we saw a dog get hit with a big sky-hyzer destroyer and another gentleman nearly get hit while sitting in a lawn chair next to his RV. He laughed it off not realizing that he might have had a pretty painful welt if he were mere inches in the wrong direction. Other than the danger factor, the shots required off the tee are pretty generic and other than a few holes with big distance, players aren't going to feel very challenged unless you land directly against a building or the winds are really kicking.
Other Thoughts: If you are a course-bagger or otherwise seek non-traditional disc golf experiences, I'd highly recommend University of Idaho for a quick stop. You'll remember (and perhaps laugh at) the quirkiness of this course forever! If you are looking for more challenge, drive down the road to the nearby Pullman course which has a more traditional (and better) layout.

mmmmmk

1    7/3/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 1/31/2011
Pros: Interesting disc golf experience playing this course. I've never seen a course use buildings as obstacles, at least not on purpose. There is elevation changes on the latter portion of this course that is somewhat fun and challenging. The first couple of holes will challenge your distance driving game with long open bombs.
Cons: Holes one through three are long, open, boring and use the same fairway so if a group tees off behind you while you are in this stretch of the course you will have to wait for each other and be patient but it slows down play for sure. they had plenty of land so I'm not sure why this was done this way. Flow is a bit strange and when you are done you will have to make the trek back to the car. On holes one and three you are throwing into a fairway that is dirt, concrete and rocks and chews up discs worse than your dog!
Other Thoughts: This is kind of a strange course but would be fun to play if you went to school here. It seems as if there was a layout change not too long ago.

Moscow

5+    9/2/2009   12/8/2009
Review By: jcbnxll
Pros: --Events: There seems to be a good community of golfers here. It's easy to find out what the disc golf haps are by using the bulletin board or by asking the slew of regulars that frequent the course.
--There are a few neat holes and some elevation changes
--Great for beginners, learners
Cons: --Holes 2 and 3. I skip 'em every round. What a waste of my time and arm.
--The tall grass: Keep an eye on your disc if you see it head towards that tall grass.
--A couple holes shut down in the late summer for outdoor plays.
--Not much variety
Other Thoughts: The rating says it all; this course is "passable." I usually play it as a warm up before I go to Sunnyside (or before/after ultimate frisbee on Sundays & Wednesdays). I lived down in Lewiston and while I never got a chance to actually play in any of the meetups there certainly seemed to be a fair number of them. This seems like an excellent course to start on.

My first ace!

5+    4/13/2002   4/3/2008
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 5/3/2013
Pros:
The U of I course is located in the quaint little town of Moscow, Idaho, just 9 miles away from Washinton State University in Pullman, Wa. This nine hole course plays mainly through the campus and is surrounded by large brick buildings and beautiful native trees. Some of the middle holes on the course play into some of the trees but for the most part the course is primarily on grass and cement. This course has some very unique holes that are well designed (considering the amount of area used), and the elevation and tough cross winds play a large factor in one's score. Some of the holes like 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 have some distance where holes 2,3, and 4 all have a chance for an ace. The course is well kept up and the baskets and cement tee pads are in good enough shape coonsidering the course has been around for quite some time.
Cons:
At times the course can be really crowded since it is located on the University of Idaho campus. Hole one, located by the ROTC builidng, sometimes has people laying out on the grass soaking up what rays they can find so be on the lookout, and give them the courtesy heads up.
This course will always be special for me considering it was where I got my first hole in one with a prototype wizard. Hole #2, a short anhyzer shot down underneath the intramural gym about 75 feet away. The basket was placed in what looked like a cement cave. It was a blind shot as well which added to both the challenge and uniqueness of the hole.

NOTE:
Apparently the course has changed completly, including the location of most if not all of the holes since I last played it. As a student at WSU, I loved coming over here to play on some baskets since Pullman didn't have any at the time, but I am glad to see it is still intact! The course is unlike any other I have played considering it literally played thorugh the middle of the campus, and I had a lot of happy memories playing with my buddies as we tried to rid of our hangovers after those Cougar football Saturdays.

U of I Course

7/12/2007   11/12/2007
Review By: JoePublic
Pros: New concrete pads and bulletin board. The current U of I club team is working hard to make this a very clean and exciting amateur-learning course.
Cons: Mostly urban obstacles like vacant buildings and utility poles, but not bad for a on-campus course.
Other Thoughts: Longer holes average 350+ and use terrain to the best of the course ability. Alternate 9 for the more daring and bigger arms; check the bulletin board to variations to the course. Growing community!!