Moscow, ID
University of Idaho Share
Uploaded By: cefire

Unforgiving Winds Is An Understatement!

1    5/3/2014   5/8/2014
Pros: The U of Idaho Disc Golf Course is set mostly on a area of campus across the street from the Kibbie Dome. The course's first three holes mostly play back and forth across the wide expanse of the parking lot before entering the main part of the course which is a small green, hilly area featuring some boarded up maintenance type buildings. This area (holes # 4-9) features a couple of fun little downhill throws like # 5 which is 250', a longer open hole 306' on # 8 and then finishes with # 9 which is a nice closing ACE run of 220' down to a basket set in a large Cedar tree.

The course has decent concrete tee pads. The Mach III baskets are in OK shape but the tee signs have mostly been trashed beyond readability.

The winds on the first three holes were incredibly strong making these holes most interesting but also terribly frustrating! The strong wind also affected my throw on # 4.
Cons: Gale force winds on holes 1-3. Throwing back and forth over the paved parking lot and dealing with the winds on holes 1-3.
Trashed signs.
Numbers are off most of the baskets but course is small so navigation is self-evident.
Other Thoughts: I think if I were to play this course on any kind of a regular basis, on these extra windy days, I would just play it as a six hole course skipping the first three. # 9 was fun, I emptied my bag trying to hit chains.

If I were a Vandal, I know I'd play this course. There isn't much competition from any other courses hereabouts!

2-4    11/30/2013   12/24/2013
Review By: idahooldguy
This review was updated on 1/1/2014
Pros: - Holes 4-9 were decent and had some elevation change and tree obstacles.
- #9 is a nice short downhill "Ace" shot that is tucked nicely into some pine trees.
- Rarely crowded; I've played 4 rounds here and have only seen a few other players.
Cons: - Holes 1-3 were wide open and long, which is my least favorite type of hole. Some players will consider this a "Pro"
- As other reviewers have noted, there is some crossover/hole crowding and potential for getting whacked by a disc. For example, #6 tee crosses the #5 fairway and #2 and #3 use the same fairway going in opposite directions. I had to wait for another player the last time I played.
- Not a very attractive course considering how beautiful the Palouse country is.
Other Thoughts: I was disappointed after playing this course for the first time because I expected a really pretty course nestled in the rolling hills of the Palouse. However, the university gave the course designers a questionable piece of land to work with. It's a good thing there is some nice elevation changes here or it would be a very weak course. I wouldn't make a special trip to play there, but if you're in Moscow I'd give it a go.

My first ace!

5+    4/13/2002   4/3/2008
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 5/3/2013
Pros:
The U of I course is located in the quaint little town of Moscow, Idaho, just 9 miles away from Washinton State University in Pullman, Wa. This nine hole course plays mainly through the campus and is surrounded by large brick buildings and beautiful native trees. Some of the middle holes on the course play into some of the trees but for the most part the course is primarily on grass and cement. This course has some very unique holes that are well designed (considering the amount of area used), and the elevation and tough cross winds play a large factor in one's score. Some of the holes like 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 have some distance where holes 2,3, and 4 all have a chance for an ace. The course is well kept up and the baskets and cement tee pads are in good enough shape coonsidering the course has been around for quite some time.
Cons:
At times the course can be really crowded since it is located on the University of Idaho campus. Hole one, located by the ROTC builidng, sometimes has people laying out on the grass soaking up what rays they can find so be on the lookout, and give them the courtesy heads up.
This course will always be special for me considering it was where I got my first hole in one with a prototype wizard. Hole #2, a short anhyzer shot down underneath the intramural gym about 75 feet away. The basket was placed in what looked like a cement cave. It was a blind shot as well which added to both the challenge and uniqueness of the hole.

NOTE:
Apparently the course has changed completly, including the location of most if not all of the holes since I last played it. As a student at WSU, I loved coming over here to play on some baskets since Pullman didn't have any at the time, but I am glad to see it is still intact! The course is unlike any other I have played considering it literally played thorugh the middle of the campus, and I had a lot of happy memories playing with my buddies as we tried to rid of our hangovers after those Cougar football Saturdays.