Rainier, OR
Trojan Park Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #2 (Taken 5/2010)
3 / -- Par / Distance:

1    2/7/2010   2/10/2010
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 4/8/2010
Pros: Trojan is a beautiful course set around a lake. As we all know there are several spots on this course to lose a disc but I believe the pictures online make it look worse then it is. I played using a bag with discs I have either never thrown or haven't throw in quite some time and had no idea what to expect out of them and I lost two discs but they were both on shanks that might have been lost in bushes or something else at a forested park. If I would have brought my regular bag of discs I most likely wouldn't have lost any discs in the water. There are safe areas to throw to on every water shot if you are willing to take a par or bogey but I would recommend bringing some discs you don't care about just to try and throw the water shots because it's fun. The place is quite pretty with a great little walking bridge near hole twelve, there are plenty of opportunities to take wonderful pictures.
Cons: Well the water shots are a con for some; mostly the ones who end up in the water, hehe. There are a couple of tee pads that could have been moved to make the water come into play more in a couple of areas and they chose not to do so which is too bad because these couple of holes are the only clunkers on the course really. You are going to need a guide or the course map to find your way around as there are some long walks between holes; mostly on the back nine.
Other Thoughts: I can imagine that during the summer months this course could get hard to play as this looks like a great place to enjoy a nice walk through the park or have a picnic, so I'm sure the course gets busy with non disc golfers. As I mentioned before the water shots aren't all that bad and you can avoid them if you are willing to not get a birdie. This isn't a great place to take beginners to and advanced players should be under par as long as you keep it out of the water.

Trojan was great!

1    10/18/2009   10/19/2009
Review By: disc-maverick
Pros: A little isolated, so no people. Plus, it is October 18th. Great layout, medium to difficult, and very well kept.
Cons: Water, but that makes it part of the fun. Not too many cons for me.
Other Thoughts: I am not sure what everyone is talking about. While we paused for a minute or two to figure out which tee box was which, we gambled based on how the flow "should" go. And, we were right. Two intermediate, non-tournament experienced discers did just fine and did not lose a disc. We played conservative on the "scary" holes, but ended up with decent scores for our first trip. Definitely going back.

2-4    7/11/2009   9/22/2009
Review By: k2trcs
Pros: great course, very challenging...requires course management skills over power.
Cons: requires high skill and course management otherwise your plastic will dissapear into the murky depths...like a couple of mine have.

Enjoyed It More Than I Thought I Would!

1    8/4/2009   8/8/2009
Pros: I arrived being really prepared to dislike this course. I absolutely hate losing discs. But I totally enjoyed my Trojan Park water experience. Not having a strong arm, I was worried about all the long throws over water. But in reality, the throws over water are fairly short. On #'s 5, 6, 10 and 11, you need to keep it straight in order to stay out of the water. I was able to navigate the course fairly easily with the map I had printed on-line. The park is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I was there on a Tuesday and there were other people in the closed part of the park, fishing, bicycling, etc. I don't know exactly how rigid park officials want to be about having folks here when the gates are locked.
Cons: Obviously, watching your favorite discs sinking to the bottom of the lake is a problem for some players. In my mind, that pretty much eliminates this course for beginners. It is flat with no elevation. I can see picnickers getting in the way. Some of the teepads are a little tough to find. Some are painted onto sidewalks or streets.
Other Thoughts: I came prepared bringing 4 or 5 throw-a-way discs. But I was playing by myself and wasn't exactly worried about getting the lowest score possible. If playing serious rounds here, I know that I would probably average, at least, one lost disc per round. That could get mighty frustrating and costly too.

Water holes and more water holes

1    6/9/2009   6/9/2009
Review By: TrailBoss
Pros: Course starts out with a handful of easy holes around groups of trees, which is great to get your mojo and flow going before things get technical. Very challenging course due to all of the holes adjacent to lakes and ponds. Risk/Reward is very high on all of these holes. I loved the whole vibe and setting of the course. Very rare to play courses that have so much water hazards and provide that level intensity and focus. Very cool. Course is well designed and utilizes is terrain very effectively
Cons: Absolutely need a map to find your way around. With the map, we had no real problems navigating the course. If you did not have one, you would be challenged. I did not find the walk outs to be an issue. They were necessary to get from point A to point B.
Other Thoughts: Holes 8 and 13 are the signature holes of the course. Awesome pin placements out on the edge of peninsulas with tee shots over water. I found the course mentally demanding due to all the water hazards, but this is what made the course so appealing to me and worth the drive to get to it. This course would be frightening if windy. We caught it under perfect conditions. Definitely recommend this course.

Very solid, enjoyable course

1    6/9/2009   6/9/2009
Review By: Doktor John
Pros: Very well designed in every aspect
Excellent use of available space
Great use of ponds/water--Holes 8 and 13 are classic examples
Good variety of hole configurations
Creative basket placement to take advantage of trees
Forces strategic throw/disc/path selection
Classic holes with baskets very close to the water for very tangible risk/reward shots
Beautiful setting
Very fast course
Cons: Tees are not marked and most are not very obvious...a couple of large gray garbage cans at them...they are invisible in the grass...make sure you download and print the map, you'll definitely will need it
These two "cons" are not the fault of the course or design, just facts to be aware of:
1) Very flat course...if you like big elevation changes, you won't find them here--but the course is so well designed you won't miss the elevation (and I LOVE elevation changes)
2) Fowl poop...especially on hole one...bring an extra "throw-away" towel
Other Thoughts: This course is well worth the drive and isn't that far from Portland...if you do a road trip to Portland, this should be on your itinerary

Disc Golfs Pebble Beach

5+    9/19/2008   3/19/2009
Review By: olydiscgolf
Pros: This course has almost every shot a PROFESSIONAL disc golf course should have! Beautiful design bringing shot selection into play on every hole. Risk reward is very cliche' these days, but very relevant here! This course makes "smart" golf your only option! (or lost disc's).
Cons: As far as terrain goes, there isn't any elevation to play with, it's fairly flat. Its a young course, signs are hard to come by. Play it once and you won't have any trouble the next time. I wouldn't, or couldn't afford, to have this as my home course. I lost six disc's in one day. The next time I didn't lose any and shot even.
Other Thoughts: Great core of golfers who do a lot of work out there. The first couple of times I was there, I seen locals painting tee pads. I know concrete is in the future, if its not there already. A great destination course, I drive over two hours to play here. I also bring the hip waders!

Splish Splash

2-4    11/23/2008   3/6/2009
Review By: Adam Schneider
This review was updated on 5/18/2009
Pros:
- Water hazards
- Mowed fairways
- Beautiful park setting
- Challenging for experienced disc golfers
Cons:
- Water hazards
- Hard to navigate (no signs, poor flow on the back 9)
- Mostly wide open and completely flat
- Potentially aggravating for beginners, or for anyone who loses discs in the lake
- Too far from any other courses
- An incredible amount of goose poop
- Often very muddy
- In the summer, picknickers and fishermen get in the way of the disc golf course
Trojan Park is the former site of a PGE nuclear power plant (and the current site of all the nuclear waste!). The park consists of mowed grass and picnic areas surrounding a winding lake/pond with paved paths and bridges. Because it's so far from anywhere, the park doesn't get much use (especially between Labor Day and Memorial Day), so disc golf is an excellent use of this land.

The big story at Trojan is water, a rarity in Pacific Northwest disc golf courses. Water comes in to play on about half the holes; sometimes you're throwing over it, sometimes toward it, and sometimes next to it, with trees waiting to knock your disc into the very murky depths. It's up to you whether to risk losing your favorite driver, or play it safe and use floating plastic. Trojan is all about risk/reward and making choices.

Trojan is a fairly long course; there are only one or two easy birdies, and a few where you'd be happy just to get a 3. It's best suited to experienced golfers, and big arms will love it. So my 3-star rating is really more like 4 to 4.5 stars for pros, and 2 to 3 for beginners.

By the way, as of mid-2009 there are still no tee signs, and finding your way around #8 through #12, and especially from there to #13, can be a bit tricky without a map. Also, wear waterproof shoes; not for the lake itself, but for the incredibly swampy ground at the south end of the park. At times, water is literally flowing through the muddy grass on the #10 and #11 fairways.

Worth a try - at least once

1    11/23/2008   11/23/2008
Review By: kristoferfaur
Pros: I played on a beautifully sunny Sunday afternoon, and had the entire course to myself. I was expecting at least a couple of other golfers, but not a one. I did however share the course with two different types of ducks, three different types of geese, and two beautiful cranes that followed me for a short while.

The beginning four holes are set up very well to build up confidence, which will definitely be needed after hole 5.
Cons: WATER! I wanted to like this course, I wanted to rate it higher, but the ever-present danger of losing a disc prevents people from really opening things up and experimenting. Bring throw-away discs! The minute I trusted myself enough to throw my beloved Roc was the moment I lost it. And I didn't even get to say goodbye. It's the kind of course where you play for bogeys instead of birdies.

Another semi-frustrating thing about the course is the occasional long walk between the basket and the next tee. Not only are the tees unmarked and difficult to find, the are sometimes far enough from the previous hole that any sort of momentum is lost. Definitely print out the map provided on this website.
Other Thoughts: I think this course suffers from being just a bit too far from the Portland/Vancouver metro, at least without having a sister course to make a day of it. Definitely worth it if you haven't tried it yet, but I doubt I'll make the drive back. I just have a thing against disc-gobbling courses.

I love PGE!

1    11/5/2008   11/5/2008
Review By: senatorjoe
Pros: *Every hole is like opening up a Christamas present.
*The water makes it unique and untouchable in this area
*Great mix of distance shots and short, tight placement shots
*Each hole is fair-- a good shot rewards you with birdie putts
*Of course, bad shots will be punished with lost discs and frustrating bogeys
*Beautiful course
*Well-defined fairways and hazards call for specific shots and lots of cold-blooded courage
*Deserted, which makes for fast play

Cons: *Goose poop
*No signage/distance
*Inconsistent teepads
*Too darned far away from PDX
*The course's water hazards are fun, but the bottom drops off quickly, so my friends lost discs
Other Thoughts: *Built on former nuclear reactor site, so there are lots of three-legged ducks
*This course needs to have a major tournament, complete with alternate teepads
*It's a blast, make the drive!