St. Stephen, MN
Mississippi River Park Share
Uploaded By: jskatt21 Hole #2 (Taken 9/2009)

5+    9/23/2011   9/29/2011
Review By: djgimli
This review was updated on 3/27/2012
Pros: Challenging fairways, a great course for perfecting shots around broad obstacles without too much penalty for failure. There is undergrowth but it's more navigable in finding discs than many countryside courses, and there are many fairly open shots too. A skillful curve will do you well, but you can survive without it.
There are rarely others on this course (of the 30+ times I've thrown it, I've seen others only once) and so it makes for nice privacy and relaxation. It's very secluded and not near traffic, a town, etc….sometimes the tee signs are the only reminder of civilization. You'll really get disoriented walking out there (a good thing) which makes you feel like you're on a hike. I've even taken a nap at hole 8 without incident.
A decent variety of holes, no two are the same and although it's wooded, there are at least patchy openings on almost every hole.
Cons: Hole 11 has a very thick, 15-foot tall thorny patch in which it's quite easy to lose a disc, and there are some fairways where the branches could use a little trimming. This course could very easily become a 18+ hole course…in fact, I've gone off down splits in the trail and tossed at trees I've scoped out previously just to extend my play on a lazy day. It's true, if you walk up to some of the baskets and try real hard, you can get a disk throught the grill....
Other Thoughts: I know this breaches protocol for reviews, but I think it's important to point this out: the most common 'con' listed by previous reviews is in regards to the baskets, and several of those have been replaced with nice baskets just this summer, so that problem is half taken care of. I throw this course frequently and have had a fall-through occur only once in 30+ rounds. Don't worry about it happening on a hole-in-one, this course isn't designed for hole-in-one's....

I enjoy this course more than many others with high overall ratings (Riverside, Hidden Lake, etc.) I should probably just be saying that this course sucks, I'd prefer to keep my hidden gem to myself I guess....