Wilkesboro, NC
Rolling Pines DGC Share
Uploaded By: mcleanclan Hole #5 (Taken 2/2015)

< Prev 1 2 3
Near Perfection

1    3/20/2017   3/21/2017
Review By: superium
Pros: Course is a perfect example on how all courses should be built and designed. Great variety of shots, distances, elevation changes to attract players at all skill levels. Contains all the amenities (benches, signage, trash cans, bathrooms, etc.) a course should have.
Cons: Couldn't find many flaws on this course if any. The only hole I think could be improved with a more defined fairway would be 15 from the long tees. Maybe a tree or 2 and/or some overhang could be removed.

Beautiful course

5+    2/25/2017   3/2/2017
Review By: Khdiscgolf
Pros: This course is incredible. It has a nice mix of open holes as well as wooded technical holes. The course is VERY well maintained as this is one of Wilkes County's newer courses. The course is mostly par 3s but there are a few long par 4s to switch it up. Several events take place at this course including glow golf, dubs, singles events and tournaments of all kinds. I highly recommend trying this course out if you are in the area.

Play the Pines!

5+    2/20/2017   2/24/2017
Review By: Ddog
Pros: One of the top three courses I have played.

- Area is completely dedicated to disc golf (besides the three weeks that have been mentioned already).
- Perfectly manicured grass. I have been here 5 times and it always looks recently mowed.
- Two sets of tees, both with concrete pads that are more than generous and nicely designed tee signs. The longs make it a fairly lengthy course, while the shorts put it in more a recreational feel.
- Holes have a great design, no two holes feel the same.
- Extras. You can tell that a lot of money was spent in the making of this course. Each hole has holders for your bags, drop zones are concrete and stairs look professionally installed. Every hole has been given a name that is placed on the sign and the basket.
- Views on several holes are amazing, especially in winter.
- While being only a mile away from town, the course is quiet and very tranquil.
Cons: Very few and very minor, but if I had to nic-pick...

- No practice basket at this point.
- While rarely an issue, I have witnessed some putts bouncing out in peculiar ways. I've talked to some "pros" who say they don't throw quite as hard at these basket to avoid bounce outs.
Other Thoughts: Every few months I drive 2 hours to visit this course, and never regret it. If you are in the area and looking for a solid course to try, look no further than rolling pines.

Absolutely perfect course.

5+    7/20/2016   8/2/2016
Review By: Jktostoe
Pros: Beautiful course maintained on a nice piece of land tucked away right outside of Wilkesboro. The casual rolling hills offer a picturesque terrain and you throw alongside and between an undulating assortment of, you guessed it, pine trees.

The course has two layouts, one short and one long, both offering drastically different shots so you don't feel like the long tees are the same as the shorts, but longer. They truly play as two different layouts.

The short tees offer a great mix of holes that include every type of shot and is a perfect layout for beginners without feeling like an "easy course" for more advanced players.

The long tees are very challenging, but not because of random trees and impossible lines. It's long without being "winthrop gold" long and forces players to play smart and controlled. There are also OB ropes in the ground which offer even more of a challenge when taken into play. I'd love to describe every hole in detail because there is not simply one hole that stands out...every one is equally outstanding. The mixture of hole types is perfect because Rolling Pines avoids the trap that many courses fall into that have you throwing the same shot all day.

The signage is perfect, the baskets are awesome, the tee pads are some of the best I have ever played on, the layout is perfect, and the views are spectacular on several holes. The course is well-maintained and they even have water pumps on the course so if you're out of water you can just fill back up.
Cons: Not even really cons, but there isn't a practice basket so you have to practice at either 1 or 18 (which isn't a big deal).

Custom RP scorecards would be an awesome addition at the course.

Other than these two minor things this course is absolutely perfect.
Other Thoughts: Hit up Ft. Hamby just a few miles away for a great day of disc golf and if you're extra adventurous go up to Jefferson and play Ashe County Park, another one of NC's best.

If There Were a Perfect Course....

1    6/10/2016   6/11/2016
Review By: BuzzSharpe
Pros: Rolling Pines could be that course. First and foremost, this is a disc golf only facility for forty-nine weeks of the year. There are three weeks in the Spring when the property hosts a music festival and the course is closed. But as there are other very playable courses very nearby, I won't subtract any points for that.
The grounds...immaculately mown and maintained, except for that kudzu farm/tree trash receptacle of a ravine to the left of #12's green. I won't subtract anything for that either, as that actually helps to impede an overthrown disc's flight to the bottom of that abyss. MAYbe remove a very few of the lower limbs to open up 14's fairway. Though I did throw into one of those trees, it got through, I made a good approach and putt to score birdie, so maybe not.
The equipment...these tee pads are the best from which I've ever driven. Dyed concrete for a more natural, Earth tone color is an additional unnecessary, but aesthetically appreciated feature. All are spaciously wide with a length of 11' to 12', except for 13 White, which is shorter due to topography, and #2, which is the only hole on which White and Gold share a pad, and that pad is a great big, HUGE square. Another feature that I've never seen on a course is the placement of full size pads serving as drop zones for OB and missed mando shots. All pads are perfectly poured, straight and level, with hole numbers embedded in the concrete. I feel sort of badly for somebody, who placed the 9 upside down on the White pad. The number has been removed, but a 6 is imprinted into the concrete there nonetheless. And all pads are bordered with timbers, which serves a practical, as well as aesthetic purpose. They're sometimes SEVERAL rows high to achieve levelness. This was the first time that I had thrown at Kingpin baskets. Early on, I thought that these chains surely spit out a lot of putts, but remembered the old adage that it's a poor workman who blames his tools and realized that it was my fault and not the baskets'. They have a very unique, almost melodically musical tone to them. And with their bright orange poles and yellow baskets, they are very visible. They're all well set and grounded in gravel, with well cut timbers making boxes around the bases. Though previous review mentioned that in places, baskets in eyesight proximity could cause confusion, the very readable number plate atop each basket and the excellent hole diagrams on each Gold tee sign should help alleviate that. As for the tee signs...excellent; just excellent...for the Gold tees, they are among the best of the best I've seen; big, informative and artistic, giving Hole #, distance, Par, a very good diagram, showing both tee positions, hole nickname and some very informative and entertaining local news and lore short articles. I would strongly suggest that any White level player unfamiliar with the course stop for a moment to study on the Gold tee sign, particularly the diagram in the bottom left. Except for just maybe a couple of instances, you're going to be going right by them anyway. The White signs are less detailed, but are still more than adequate. I noticed that all the baskets in the diagrams are labeled 'A'. Are alternate pin placements for some or all of the holes in the offing? More on that in a moment. Other signage is extremely helpful with arrows attached to each basket pointing to the next tee, well designed Mando and transitional direction signs. Though navigation is generally natural, the signs do help.
The design...WCDGC did an amazing job of utilizing flora, topography, and general lay of the land. Rolling Pines offers a wide variety of elevation, effective length, as well as distance and directional differentials. Playing from the Whites, of course, I noticed that the distances of 250" and 290'/295' repeated several times, but never seemed repetitive. Most every hole offers some play up. down, or up AND down, or alongside elevation differences, but none are Himalayan hurtful. I was apprehensively expecting a mountain climbing trek through dense forest, but was over-joyously surprised to be met with beautiful green grass fairways, where tree lines and well spaced mature hardwoods and Pines defined the fairways and occasionally guarded greens. There are several purely wooded holes, often with Pine needle 'floors', but for the most part, this course is truly moderately wooded throughout, after number 1, a perfectly picturesque, slightly down-sloped open meadow hole, which was a wholly wonderful way to begin my round. Many, if not most courses labeled as 'moderately wooded' means that some holes are heave and hope holes through a rain forest, while most are all wide or mostly wide open. But at Rolling Pines (which has maybe more deciduous trees than evergreens), trees are an integral aspect of every hole's design, without ever being overburdeningly obnoxious. Walking up #17 was pastoral, as it is basically open, but bathed in the shade of towering Pines outlining the fairway and guarding and defining the green. Probably my favorite two design features are the bamboo wall (which I'm now thinking of incorporating into our desired redesign of The SPC) and the hanging basket, at a slightly higher height than the norm. I've always loved hanging baskets. They're just cool.
Amenities...they are aplenty. Abundant trash and recycling receptacles that I credit with the immaculate cleanliness of the course. Big, expansive benches with backs set into concrete at many Gold pads and at 13 and 18 White. Hand cranked, cool water pumps aplenty, though I didn't encounter my first one until Hole 8, which was just in the nick of time. Port-a-Johns and restrooms. The Port-a-John I utilized was clean and well appointed. I didn't check to see if the restrooms were open, but I'm assuming that they are. Professionally constructed staircases for a couple of the transitions, particularly between 12 and 13 White, which is a gorgeous tee box in the woods. Innumerable electrical outlets, primarily installed for Merlefest attendees, but I assume can be utilized by disc golfers any other time. Ample parking that's shared with no other other activity participants. Two big picnic tables at the start/finish point.
The people. I was sad and surprised that there was practically no one else there. Two of them were from my home county, over 100 miles away. Finishing up, I met a very gracious local Master division fellow, who volunteered to go look for my brand new, bright red Buzzz, which I had lost over the cliff beside #12. His slightly younger eyes found it in about thirty seconds, as I had searched unsuccessfully for over thirty minutes. May the powers of the universe bless you, Dennis Wilson.
Cons: The cons of this course aren't even cons. No practice basket? If you need a practice basket, bring one. I thought of that when I was there, but really didn't see a good spot to plant one. Maybe in the trees above the parking lot? I'll look next time I'm there. The one other missing amenity is score cards. There should be course specific score cards for this course. A course overview sign with a course map would be good, but isn't really necessary, given the hole diagrams on each Gold pad tee sign and easy natural and signage enhanced navigation. There is a nice big sign at the entrance, which kept me from missing the park.
Maybe a few more White tee benches that wouldn't be in the way of Gold tee players. But as you most often pass right by the Gold tee to get to the White tee, plop down there if you need to take a load off for a moment. I gratefully did a few times and enjoyed the long view.
Some, maybe most pads aren't ground level flush, but if you need more room than these pads offer, you need to change your sport to shot put.
Other Thoughts: I've fought and debated with myself about my numerical rating of this course. It is definitely phenomenal. It IS among the best of the best of the sixty-some courses I've played. Wilkes County and WCDGC should be extremely proud of this accomplishment. Since a 5 disc rating doesn't mean that absolutely nothing can be improved, as some players maintain, I'm rating it a 5. With a stocked score card box, a practice basket and some more White tee benches, there would be no question about this being a rock solid 5 rated course. As a good/maybe very good Red level/mediocre White level player, I thoroughly enjoyed this course, while overcoming many of the challenges of it to score just under Par. And I could see, from standing on most of the Gold pads that it should offer the same sort of fun challenge/ challenging fun for higher skill level players. I shall be playing this course many Fridays to come, after I finish up my sales route there in Wilkesboro.

Best Public Course in NC

1    4/2/2016   4/4/2016
Review By: alecfalzone
This review was updated on 4/6/2016
Pros: Amenities

Benches - Top notch and spacious. Some of the best benches I have used on a disc golf course.

Signage - The tee signs were clear and outlined par, distance, and OB when applicable. Where there are mandatories, they are bright yellow signs and have arrows. Not once was anything unclear.

Bathrooms - There are multiple CLEAN port-o-Jons on the course in addition to a bathroom with indoor plumbing adjacent to Holes 10/16.

Garbage Cans - More than enough garbage cans/recyclable cans on the course for everything to be kept clean. If there is garbage on the course, it's not for a lack of opportunity to throw it away.

Teepads - More than large enough to allow even the most ridiculous of run ups. I like Hole 2's teepad a lot. It doesn't limit you to just the RHBH hyzer route. You also have a nice run up for the straight shot (RISKY). Teepads will also show up in my cons, but when dry (any no pollen) they are 10/10.

Water - Multiple water spigots throughout the course with cold water. I am a city guy, born in Chicago and reside in Cary, NC. I am guessing it is well/spring water and it was delicious. No need for water coolers which is a lifesaver for TD's.

Hole Variety

I throw both RHBH and RHFH, almost 50/50. And on this course, I think I threw RHBH and RHFH 50/50. The variety is fantastic. Power shots, finesse shots, risk/reward shots, safe shots, etc.

Fairways

Every fairway was well-defined and well-manicured. This is my biggest gripe against courses (especially new ones) and RP blew me away. For a course that is just over 1 year old, WOW. Impressed. I have been involved with numerous course installs/maintenance projects in the Triangle area and I now see what the benchmark is. Well done.
Cons: This course doesn't have many, but no course is perfect; albeit this one is pretty close.

Teepads

Like I said, when dry they are 10/10. However, when they are wet (morning rounds) or have a coat of pollen on them they are very slippery. Holes 2 and 3 especially. I would suggest looking into resurfacing them with something more coarse/textured? Hole 3 was especially bad from the longs, considering it requires a solid drive to reach the pin. I was limited to a RHFH shot in my warmup rounds due to slipping when pivoting RHBH on the pad with morning dew.

Hole 7 Long/Par Issues

Par is designed for the 1010+ rated guys, which is totally fine. But I don't even see the best of the best getting a 2 on Hole 7 from the longs very often. A few of the other holes could use a new par (16 long comes to mind as well), but Hole 7 is the only one I had a slight issue with.

Widow makers Above

When we played the course this past weekend, I noticed quite a few 10'+ limbs suspended in the trees. These may have been new from wind/storms in the area.. I don't quite remember what holes they were on, except the one on Hole 18 by the basket.. But these should be looked at soon! Which I am sure they will be..

Practice Basket Green

I am sure this was looked into by the designer(s), and perhaps it was concluded there was no room near Hole 1 to put in a practice putting basket? Having one or two putting baskets for practice would put this course than much closer to a 5. Not a big deal for casual round(s), but for tournament play having a practice basket or two is definitely appreciated.
Other Thoughts: Wilkes County and the club should be proud of this course. It is a true gem in the foothills of the mountains. Every course should strive for the execution found at Rolling Pines. I will definitely be back to play this course, hopefully sooner rather than later! Thanks for hosting the Collegiate Tri-State Challenge. Much appreciated and hope to see y'all next year!

Impressive All Around

1    3/5/2016   3/31/2016
Review By: SlicRic
Pros: Impressive! This course is great in many ways! The tee pads are great and the areas around the pads are well groomed, including some informative tee signs! Awesome use of the pine trees and hills. Playing up hills and playing down hills. The tunnel shot with a hanging basket is now one of my favorite holes! There are no easy shots, but there are birdie opportunities. The same birdie holes, with an errant shot, can also become tough holes!
Cons: Every course has some cons, but this one is nearly perfect! I would complain about too many pine needles laying on some holes, but the course is called Rolling Pines!
Other Thoughts: I've been playing for over 20 years, and played in 9 states and this is one of the best courses that I have ever played! Kudos to the WCDGC on another masterpiece! I played the first tournament at the course and had a great time! They know how to put a tourney together! Thanks guys! I can't wait to come back through town to play it again!

Oh my! The Pines!

2-4    3/29/2016   3/31/2016
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -Never in a million years I thought I would give a course a 5.0. Before I played it, I didn't think I'd give it higher than a 4.5. But this is now my favorite course. If disc golf is in heaven, this would be one of the courses! I'm going to rant (in a positive way). This will not be a typical review!

Course is around some of the finest pines I have seen! This is the course's main idiosyncrasy. They are everywhere to be seen on the front nine. They are spread out through holes #11-13 but they come back on #15. Which just may be my new favorite hole in disc golf.

It's an easy 875-890 rated, par 56 course on the white tees. I shot a 51 with seven birdies and one double bogey. Not my greatest round but I was still satisfied with that. The gold tees are what most people talk about. It's a 990 rated course that has so many opportunities to mess up your score. But you have all the room you need to bomb your drives as far as you can and I thoroughly enjoyed that!

It's a serious hike here, whether you play the longs or shorts! It's going to make you tired. It starts off easy with the elevation on the first three holes, but then hole 4 comes and really shows you what this course is about! It's a big enough challenge from the short pad being 335' and with OB left of the gravel road. It's a pro par 3 on the shorts but still is from the longs. It's like 470' and it plays like 600' due to the elevation. I threw a trespass pretty hard and it anhyzered to the fairway and right at the steep uphill approach. Hole 5 is back down the hill and onto a very wooded green guarded by pine trees. From the longs, I actually bogeyed this one and parred hole 4! Both are 3's.

More about the elevation, it's much more severe on the back nine. There is quite a bit on the front but there is a ton in play on holes #10-15. The back nine starts off with a shorter par 3 that plays uphill and along the gravel road. Few trees to avoid. It was a straightforward two for me on the long pad but I got careless on the short and missed a 20' footer. #11 is crazy uphill! It's up all the way from the short but starts off slightly downhill from the long. Basket is over the road and tucked into the woods. With a good rip, you should be able to get a par but it would take a phenomenal rip to birdie this one from the long. #12 is flat but literally plays on the edge of a mountain! If you go left, you are down in the woods and could roll 100' down the mountain. The right side is even more scary! The other side of the mountain is so steep that it is marked OB if you go outside the rope.

Holes #13 through #15 utilize the greatest elevation changes. #13 is an awesome downhill par 3 that's 345' but it's a hole where you don't want to throw more than a putter on. It's just as fun on the short pad which isn't as far downhill but there is a lot of danger in sailing past the basket. #14 is slightly wooded. It's a fair par 3 from the short that goes uphill and has great potential for rollaways back down! The long is a harder par 3 and I honestly think it's a legit 4. It's very difficult to go past the short pad because of pine trees eliminating a hyzer shot. It takes a straight shot to go a long way on this one but I still parred this one. #15 long is absolutely breathtaking! It's a long downhill par 4. It's tougher than it looks on the media. You have many pine trees to avoid here, I tried to anhyzer a trespass and I knocked a tree. The ideal shot would be to throw something slightly under stable and make it a goal to hit the mando left and go down the hill or on the gravel road. From there, it takes a strong anhyzer to make 3 on this hole but it's still possible.

There are 17 long pads. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the tee pads here. They are well marked and even have the hole # written on them and they are either in white or gold depending on which tee you play.

Course is its own place. It's pretty seldom for people to camp out here but it is available here. The main thing here is the course. I figure that this place used to be a small neighborhood because of the gravel roads and street signs. There is a large bath house on #16 and a treatment plant but it's still more of a hangout place to camp or to just enjoy the heck out of the course. Which I did!! I pulled in and was so happy to see the sign that said "Rolling Pines." Immediately when you pull in, you will see #1 gold's tee pad.

-Contains some of the wildest tee shots I have seen! Hole #9 is very treacherous because you don't want to go down the huge rolling hill left. As a 95-99% backhand thrower, this hole was intimidating. Oh, and about 300' past the long pad, there are woods that are very dense and go all the way down the hill. #12 plays along the top of a mountain! It just may be the most scary hole I have played on the long pad. You better throw straight. Oh, and the upside down hanging basket on #6 is a test of your putting skills.

-The mix of open/wooded, and in between is great. There are bomber holes, a few really wooded holes, and a lot of holes in between.
Cons: None for me but there may be for you. I have none really! My so called "cons" can instantly be fixed. I don't think holes #4 and #14 long are par 3's. To me they are par 4's. They both play over 600 ft. long. #4 has OB along the left side and has danger to the right side in the woods. #14 long is pretty tight and around a few clusters of trees. The basket is up on a hill with great rolling potential. #16 is fine as a 3 or 4. To the left side, it has a steep rolling hill going downward toward the tee pad so you can throw a good roller if you can really roll a disc but it would still be an extremely difficult birdie. But I still had a tap in par. Par felt like a 59 or something. My 57 score on the longs felt better than a +1 score.

Said this many times but #12 is dangerous! I LOVE this hole. It's not a con to me but if your disc goes right and past the rope. Do NOT try to get it. It's insanely steep down there and it's a long way down! A $17 disc isn't worth a serious injury (if you're lucky) or even death. I'm terribly surprised that no one brought this up in the previous reviews.

No biggie to me but #18's tee pad is 20' behind #8's pad and slightly left. They almost face each other.
Other Thoughts: My cons are just alerts because they may be something you don't particularly like. I personally do not care! The holes are epic, not solid! They are epic! There are so many standout holes here in my book! I loved this course so much that I instantly signed up for the "Bombing the Pines" tournament ON May 7th. To make things even more crazy, that's the week before the AP Statistics final and my stupid AP Project. The Ashbrook AP Board isn't going to get the best of me this year! I'm doing this tournament because this is my new favorite course and I'm not over exaggerating! If you live 3 hours from here, I would recommend a road trip to here, Ft. Hamby (wish I made my way there) and to Ashe County! You WILL be happy and won't regret it if you like hilly courses!

Course is fair. The whites are designed mainly for intermediate player 850-910 rated. Unless you are 910 rated or higher, I would recommend you shoot under par on the shorts first before you play the longs because the longs can be intimidating and most holes are par 3's and are over 400'. My score of five under (51) was probably 940 rated or something on the shorts.

There is a gas station close by on Wilkesboro Blvd. Unless you brought something from home, I would advise you to go there to stay hydrated. This place is a hike, but I loved the hike! It was fantastic! Especially because I got that awesome feeling that I'm going to play another hole! There is no filler hole here. Not every hole is a signature hole but there are some out here! The main one in my book would be #15. It's beautiful!! It plays along a road and around so many grown pine trees. It's a huge downhill par 4 that just tempts you to rip it. Some of you will probably enjoy #16 because if you want, can throw a driver and get it to skip off the side of the huge hill to the left.

-Course starts off pretty straightforward but interesting enough to excite you with hole 1. It's a good warm up on the short pad, but you go straight to business if you play the gold pads. After #15, the course gets less crazy but still ends on a high note with #16-18. Those holes are well designed and still very fun to play.

Awesome course!

2-4    2/20/2016   2/29/2016
Review By: Disc bro
Pros: Best tee pads around, best benches to sit on. Best scenic views around, beautiful course. Love the rolling fairways, wooded areas. One of my favorite courses around!
Cons: None that i can think of,everything is great
Other Thoughts: A must play course to put on your bucket list of courses to play!! Awesome job Wilkes county disc golf club!!

1    12/31/2015   12/31/2015
Review By: MichaelWebster
This review was updated on 1/5/2016
Pros: This is the most manicured course I have ever played. When I have dreams about disc golf, they look like this course. The landscape is rolling hills that are grassy or pine-straw covered, making for a very clean disc golf experience. I played the Gold tees and will focus on those for this review. The fairways are generally wide and allow for full-power drives, but trouble can also be found with OB and rough in some areas. Risk-reward is in play on many holes, but some areas could be a little more punishing for errant drives. Luck does not come into play often on this course, which makes the course really fun. For me, the most frustrating part of disc golf is the nearly perfect shot that results in a bogey. On this course, if you throw a good shot you are rewarded. This course will test bomber players' abilities to shape lines over 400'+ drives, which are needed to birdie many of the holes. Each of the holes are subtly unique, and I don't think I threw the same shot twice. During my round, I had to throw flex shots, rollers, uphill, downhill, spike hyzers, sweeping hyzers, straight, and annys. I can't wait until I can get back again.
Cons: The local club says the teepads aren't painted, but they seem to be sealed with something that makes them become slippery when wet. They should be power washed to take the finish and leave the bare concrete. I would recommend bringing a large towel for the teepad when you play. Also, I would have liked to see more par 4s that require strategic shot selection. Despite these minor drawbacks, I believe the course is close enough to perfect to earn my first 5 star rating. I am not a terribly tough reviewer, but I have played some other top-notch courses.
Other Thoughts: Many of the other reviewers have mentioned that the par for some holes are wrong. For gold level players (1000+ rated, touring pros) the pars are mostly correct. Holes 14 and 16 have little chance for birdie, but they would be too easy to be a par 4. The rest of the holes can be birdied by a good throw from a pro player. The course is more fun for people that can throw over 400 ft, so you have a shot at birdie on many of the long par 3s. This course would not be as fun if you are throwing less than 350, but the gold tees are designed for pro players.

< Prev 1 2 3