Kernersville, NC
Patriot DGC Share
Uploaded By: Tenacious EJ Hole #15 (Taken 4/2015)

best course in the area?

1    11/13/2016   11/15/2016
Review By: EROPPER
Pros: Very well cared for, great signage /markers, 2 sets of tee boxes, Open terrain with some woods/tunnel shots mixed in, nice variety, but favors those with big arms/distance
Cons: beginners can't throw far enough to have fun here? no chance to Par? Even from the "easy" tees?
Other Thoughts: Best course overall I've played in the area, highly recommended, would think they should adjust and mark appropriately, the easy/difficult tees, different Par level, so even beginners can hope to make pars here on occasion

Get Ready. Even Pros will struggle here.

2-4    4/13/2016   10/13/2016
Review By: jsemales
Pros: One of the finest and best maintained courses I've ever played. Last time I played I was a bit off my game and this course ate me up (I think I finished +8 or +9). This course requires a wide variety of shots and will test your perseverance when you get off the fairways. Power and control are essential when playing here, but putting is what will make or break your game. Due to the open nature of a lot of the holes, playing in the wind can be really challenging, but it's not impossible.
Cons: Plan your trip. It can be a very busy park so occasionally there will be pedestrians, kids, and run of the mill chumps everywhere. Apparently, nobody understands that these discs hurt if you get hit, they'll learn, but it'll mess up your approach.

1    5/26/2016   5/28/2016
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: Patriot DGC is an excellent new course in the Triad. In terms of open, big arm courses, this is probably in the top 3 or 4 I have played. When I say big arm, I mean big arm. There are numerous opportunities to bomb.

+ Best navigation and tee signs I've ever seen on a course. There are big next tee numbers and arrows after each basket. And at the tees, there are great signs at the red *and* blue tees. Also, each hole has a bag holder.

+ The signage makes you feel like you're on an above average course, but the overall look and feel of the park takes it to the next level. The course is immaculate. I feel like open, ball golf style courses have to meet a higher standard in terms of maintenance. You want the grass to be short, the fairways beautiful. The Patriot delivers and then some. Not only that, but the patriotic theme of the whole park -- the flags lining the road as you drive in, the amazing memorial in view from several holes on the course -- it's just an A+ course in terms of how nice it is.

+ Great concrete tees, big enough for the length of the holes. Good baskets too.

+ Really nice elevation. There are a number of extra long downhill holes. I believe it's hole 6, in particular, with the steepest downhill, playing to a blind basket. It's deceiving from the tee, but when you walk down the fairway, you see how steep the drop off is.

+ Good mix of hyzer, anhyzer, and straight shots.

+ Good park amenities, in addition to the aesthetic niceties described above. Picnic areas, shelters, volleyball, fields, etc.
Cons: - My only negative is the other side of the coin from its main positive: wide openness. There isn't much variety in terms of wooded holes, although they do a nice job of locating baskets near guardian trees on some holes. But if you're looking for a course that covers everything from open to wooded, the Patriot doesn't have it. It's simply an open course. It will humble you if your drive isn't long. But if you like this style of course and have a big arm, you won't have an issue with it. For noodle arms like me, it was frustrating at times. Not really the course's fault though!
Other Thoughts: Top notch course. Bring your sunscreen. Not much shade. Sun's out, guns out!

Fun Place to Play

1    5/4/2016   5/5/2016
Review By: asromatifoso
Pros: The bag hangers, signs, concrete tee pads, manicured grounds and overall look of the course lend a very professional atmosphere. Some money and care have obviously been, and continue to be, put into this course. I really liked that there are no walking trails bordering/running through the course and that the holes seem to be laid out in a logical manner. Had a great round here even with a mediocre score. I played from the reds and found some holes, such as 2, pretty challenging, and others, some short, wide open holes relatively easy. I found opportunities to use, or at least attempt, forehands, hyzers, anhyzers, and even a couple of grenades (tree trouble-not much out there but I managed to find it). I think it's a good challenge but after a couple more times there, I think the reds will be a bit too easy. Overall, a great experience and a course I will definitely return to in the future.
Cons: Will quickly grow too easy from the reds but that's why you have the blues to play from, right?

Course doesn't come back close to the parking lot after nine, so if you are trying to get in only nine, running out of daylight, you have a hike back.

Bag holders are awesome (wooden post) but would have preferred wooden or metal dowels (which are what your bag hangs from) to plastic. To be fair, I didn't see any broken ones but they don't seem very durable.
Other Thoughts: Soon, I think I will start playing a mixture of red and blue tees and then, eventually, move up to all blues. That being said, playing from the reds was a lot of fun, if somewhat easy. It's a really good course and I would recommend it to anyone in the area.

Great Course, Fairly Easy

5+    5/2/2016   5/2/2016
Review By: skadoosh0019
Pros: - Easily the best maintained course I've ever played in, and I feel like I've played several good ones. The little bag holders at the tees, no litter, great signage, underbrush isn't a problem, etc.

- Want birdies? This course is chock full of opportunities to bang the chains under par.

- When you're not in the woods, the course is pretty wide open. And I have to admit, that's my kind of course, so I consider it a pro.

Cons: - If you want a challenge or a lot of holes that strenuously dictate your path because if you don't hit the gap right or hold a perfect line for 200 feet through the woods...then Patriot DGC is probably not for you. Tight, technical play is not the name of the game here.
Other Thoughts: I've got 3 courses that I play regularly in the Greensboro/High Point area. Patriot is my personal favorite of the bunch.

Beautiful Course

1    4/16/2016   4/21/2016
Review By: Banner
Pros: Well marked and maintained. Nice tees
Cons: Only played it once and found it fun and interesting. I guess I can see how some are saying it could get repetitive, but if you play any course a lot that could always happen. I really can't think of anything bad to say about it!
Other Thoughts: Great course in a beautiful park.

Incredible quality with unremarkable design

5+    2/25/2016   2/26/2016
Review By: SnuggieHoarder
This review was updated on 5/30/2016
Pros: This is the course that introduced me to disc golf. I'll always enjoy playing it, but some love is tough love.

Equipment:
As many have said before me. The quality of the tees, signs, holders, benches and upkeep is better than any course I've ever played. They did a good job building it and do a good job with keeping the woods under control and mulching it.

Layout:
This is a great place to learn to play. The red tees are a good mix of technical and open shots. The odds of losing a disc are decently low as well.
Cons: Layout:
The better you get the more monotonous this course becomes. A lot of the holes have you throwing from near or slightly in the woods to a pin that's near or slightly in the woods. It wouldn't be that bad, but oftentimes you can look behind the blue tees and see an alternative spot that would make the hole a lot more interesting.
Other Thoughts: Rounds generally take 1-2 hours if you're playing solo..

It's a good course in a great park. Play some disc golf, have a picnic and enjoy your weekend.

Patriot DGC

2-4    1/14/2016   1/19/2016
Review By: dndelli
Pros: Patriot DGC is easily one of the nicest courses I have ever played at. There are two tees at every hole and the signage is extremely clear and concise. It is very apparent, even when you first pull into the parking lot at the back of the park, that whoever designed and maintains this course has looked into different courses and players to see what amenities they should include. There are two tee signs per hole, one per tee, and easy to follow signs that point towards the next hole. Each tee, even the short tees, are an appropriate size of nice laid concrete. Each tee also has its own bag post, so that players can hang their disc bags before teeing off, in order to keep them off the ground and out of the potential mud. There are quite a few benches and nice trash cans every few holes.

The course itself is extremely well maintained and manicured. The grass is kept at a very respectable and playable height. There is a good mix of elevation changes here. The two different tees also help vary up the types of shots needed as well as give a different challenge for players of different skill levels. There are a few shots that start wooded and open up into a field and vise-versa.

The large open shots, and there are quite a few here, are perfect for players who are trying out a new disc or a trying to dial in their shots. I hadn't played much for over 2 years when I played here, and it was great for me to touch up the basics on my drives.

As a new course, there are a few young trees that have been planted in order to create obstructions and in a few years will make this course much, much better in my opinion.
Cons: Unfortunately, as perfect as this course could have been with how well it is maintained, it does struggle to live up to its potential. One of the biggest problems I encountered was the number of times I walked through a wooded section to reach yet another wide open shot. I absolutely love courses that have the long, open, grassy fairways, but this course could have used one or two more fully wooded holes.

As I said, some trees have been planted to create obstructions in the fairways, but personally more of the holes need this added benefit. Hole #11 sticks out in my mind as being way too open, and the only challenge is the elevation change near the hole as well as the tree line behind the basket. It is clear that whoever has built this course wants it to flourish, and I have no doubt that if a few more obstructions can be added to the unobstructed open fairways, this course could become one of the most television friendly tournament courses in the state.

There is a large tract of wooded land that this course bumps up next to around Hole #9, if there is enough room there, it would be lovely if the park put in a more technical course (or even just a few holes) in those woods.
Other Thoughts: I love the growth potential for this course, as well as the park it is located in. It is clear that this park is well maintained and is kept very clean. Hopefully this trend continued and other courses in the area pick up some of the great ideas this course has implemented. (Such as the bag poles at every tee. The three trees that have been planted in the fairway of Hole #5, will in 5-10 years, make that hole one of my favorite style holes in disc golf. Open fairway, but not a free birdie.

The park this course is located in is extremely nice and the war memorial the course is located next to is absolutely beautiful.

Favorite Holes:
6, 8, 10, 18

The Patriot

1    11/5/2015   11/9/2015
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Patriot DGC is one of the best scenic, ready-made courses, and pieces of land, I have played. Located in Triad Park, this is a solid course...but, oh, how it could be so much more.
- In terms of ease of navigation, this is one of the best courses I've ever played. There's a big kiosk with a course map at the first hole. Each hole has two tee pads with tremendous tee signs from each pad. Add to that the transitional signs between holes are great. Even on the long walks between holes you have no problem making your way through the round. Great job by the course designers and the park for making this course as player-friendly as you're going to find.
- Solid variety in terms of layout. There are some true challenging holes, especially from the long (blue) tees. Hole #6, for example, is a beast of a hole. This is a love it or hate it-type of hole where most players are probably going to have a strong feel about the design one way or the other. I'm not sure if it's a great layout, a poor layout, or a dumb-luck turned solid layout. From the long (blue) tee, it's a 438-foot, blind downhill layout to an open area, setting up the approach shot to a basket to the woods on the right side of the fairway. I really enjoy the challenge of the strategically placed tee shot (as long as the grass is well-maintained), but I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the narrow opening in the woods approaching the basket. Seems like if you don't put the tee shot in a perfect spot, you're probably looking at a 4 here, as I shot.
- There's plenty of other variety here, from challenging wooded holes - #7 & 13; less-challenging wooded holes - #18; longer and/or challenging open holes - #10 & 12; to the easier layouts - #1 & 9. Throw in some good elevation factors, doglegs, and wooded/open combo layouts - and you've got the makings of some good variety.
- I enjoyed the challenge/design of hole #12. It's an open, 480-foot hole (from the longs) that has a row of trees halfway down the fairway. You're supposed to hit the gap to the left of the trees to set up your approach shot. Or, if you're like me, your tee shot lands behind the trees, and you have to waste a stroke getting through them. It's a good example of putting emphasis on accurate shot making while punishing people who don't make an accurate tee shot.
- This course can appeal to multiple skill levels - from beginners to intermediate/advanced players. From the long (blue) tees, the average hole length is 398 feet, with none shorter than 261. From the shorts, the average hole length is 278 feet, with all holes ranging from 165 - 357 feet. Add to that, the shorts offer much easier layouts, especially on the tougher holes, that casual players won't be overwhelmed.
- This is a great overall park. It's a huge park with anything and everything you could think of - playground, ball fields, walking trails, picnic areas and the war memorial - which you and the family could spend lots of time here. It's great seeing a large park that's so well maintained. And with so much space here, I love that the course doesn't overlap with other park activities. Add to that, there's a lot of unused space in and around the disc golf course. Hmmm, maybe a chance to add a second 18-hole layout someday?
Cons: The biggest con here is the course's untapped potential. Too many times you walk by lots of wooded areas to play open holes. If the course didn't have those wooded areas, I wouldn't be critical of the layout. But, seeing how you play a couple of boring open holes -#5 being the worst offender - you'd like to see a little more creativity. Take a look at the course map on here. This course could be brought up a level if the existing #4 & 5 were removed and you added two holes in the wooded area behind #4's tee. Using more of the woods would also reduce the amount of space the course uses, cutting down on some of the long walks.
- Two holes border on being tough to being poor layouts - #6 & 13. I've already mentioned #6 above. I think that stays on the solid layout side; although, making the opening into the woods wider wouldn't be a bad choice. On the flip side, the layout for #13 needs help. You tee off in a field, throwing to a basket in the woods. The problem is that the fairway opening in the woods is way too narrow to expect most players to be able to hit that gap. If you miss the gap - hit a tree or stay in the open field portion of the hole - there's little room to recover and salvage par. This hole tilts too far on the luck side, in my opinion.
- As great as some portions of the course are - tee & navigation signs, tee pads - I didn't notice many, if any, benches or trashcans throughout the course. Also didn't notice any restrooms near the course, so that means you would have to drive to another part of the park for them. I'll also throw out the idea that because this park is so big and the park is in the very back of the park, it's a long, slow ride, over many speed humps, to actually get to the course.
Other Thoughts: Patriot is a good disc golf course. Yes, some improvements could be made - as could be said for most courses. As it is, I enjoyed my round here with the exception of one boring hole -#5 - and one poorly designed one - #13.
- Course isn't broken up into two 9-hole loops, so no easy way to bail out if you're looking for a quick nine without a long walk back to the car. The 'best' option for a quick nine would be to play #1 - 6, make a semi-long walk up to #16 and play the final three holes.
- To its credit, for being so open, there was a good amount of variety for the longer hole layouts. I've already described #6 & 12 above. #10 is a good dogleg layout; #11 is a downhill basket, especially on your approach shot; #16 has trees running along the entire right side of the fairway; and #18 is a good risk/reward, wooded-layout closing hole.
- Probably because of the topography, this course had many similarities to other courses in the region. There were many aspects of this course that reminded me of Lake's Edge, Yadkin County Park and (not as close) Randolph Park in Dublin, VA.
- This is a solid addition to the Triad disc golf scene. The area still needs a truly elite course. Like some of the other courses in the Winston-Salem and Greensboro area, this is a good, but not great course. I'll give this course a solid 3.0 rating. I was debating between that and a 3.5 rating. In the end, it's lacking just enough challenge and splash to get the bump. Still, it's solid and worth a play if you're in the area.

Wasted Potential

1    9/14/2015   9/14/2015
Review By: Cripes
Pros: This is one of the nicest parks I have ever played DG in. The whole park is immaculately maintained and that includes the Patriot course. The signage is excellent and looks like it is built to last. The tee pads are perfectly poured and have a nice grippy surface. There is mulch everywhere it is needed, the fairways are mowed, and I didn't see a single piece of trash on the ground.
Cons: Triad disc golfers are blessed that this tract of land has been dedicated to disc golf. There is ample room to work with, a nice mix of woods and open areas, and a nice variety of terrain features and elevation changes.

Unfortunately when you consider what could be, the design from the blue tees is a major let down. There are several design mistakes that are repeated over and over on this course and it is really sad to see. Near the end of the round I realized that the holes could be grouped together by the most egregious flaw and here is what I came up with.

(#4,11,and 16) Wide open par 4s where 90% of blue level players will take a tap in 3. These holes are really disappointing because moving the baskets back another 50 feet (there is plenty of room) would make them great par 4s. However as they are, you throw a wide open drive, a simple upshot to a nearly wide open basket, and tap in for 3. There is zero risk/reward on the drive, you literally have hundreds of feet of leeway to "place" your drive. There is space and obstacles available nearby to add difficulty but they are not used.

(#3,6, and 13) Par 3's that start out open and finish with a dumb gap into the woods. Good luck hitting the sliver of a gap on the other side of the 300 foot field. If you do then you can celebrate and take a birdie putt, if you don't then find a little opening and toss a 50 foot upshot for your tap in par. The safe play is to disregard the gap entirely and throw hyzer that might crash through the trees to the basket.

(#10,14,15) Long par 3's that the majority of blue level players can't reach. For right hand backhanders 10 is a huge hyzer, 14 is a huge anhyzer, and 15 is slight anhyzer. 15 is the most reachable but does play longer than the 399 feet listed, especially if the wind is in your face. 10 and 15 are wide open and there is no difficulty in placing the drive. Get your easy boring 3 and keep moving.

(#4,5,9) Tees that are barely in the woods throwing out into the field. These tees could be moved back to require accuracy but instead they are so close to the edge it is pointless. On 5 and 9 you just throw a big hyzer to a basket in the middle of the field.

(#2,7) Wooded holes with absurd lines. You could spend all day throwing drives down the supposed fairway on 2 and never get one in the circle. You're better off cutting the corner and praying. 7 is not much better. There is nothing wrong with a narrow fairway but the twist and turns here just don't gel with how disc fly.

That leaves 1,8,12,17 and 18 as the only holes without glaring errors. Even though these holes are decent, there is not a single great hole on a course that should be full of them.

Other Thoughts: You walk through this course looking at all of the cool holes that could have been. I won't go out of my way to play this course again until I hear that it's been tweaked or alternate basket locations have been added.