Florence, AL
Veterans Memorial Park (Lakeside DGC) Share

5+    2/9/2013   2/18/2013
Review By: Windsor
Pros: Beautiful land to play on, nice challenging holes, different types of elevation, great view of the Tennessee River and Wilson Dam on a few holes, restrooms beside the parking lot close to #12. Overall a great course
Cons: No water fountains or any source of hydration around, baskets are about 25 years old and are bent and saucer shaped so it could spit your disc up or you could throw a great putt only to have it hit a bent part of the basket that sticks up, the carpet on the teeboxes are old and raggedy so new ones are a must and lastly it needs new and improved hole layout signs beside the teeboxes and maybe new places to sit.
Other Thoughts: Love this course. My friends and I play it all the time and it provides a challenge through woods and also a few open holes and a couple of long bombers. There is no doubt that I would recommend this course to everyone.

Great Course!

5+    2/14/2013   2/14/2013
Review By: Autoscopy
Pros: - Very fun and different skill shots.
- Elevation Changes
- Great scenery around a lake and river.
- Decent Signage
- Multiple pin locations that are change frequently that really vary your shot.
- Good sidearmers or anhyzers can prosper on this course.
Cons: - Baskets are handmade and can spit out putts very easily.
- Not enough pro tees. I believe theres only around 5.
- Kudzu can get very tall and be very difficult to find your disc on certain holes.
- Not enough hyzer shots or lanes. Only 1 or 2.
- There's a tennis court next to one of the holes which can be annoying because of the cars parked there sometimes.
Other Thoughts: This is my local course which I play the most. It will always have a special place in my heart. I love most of the holes and they all play very differently. Not the most diffifcult course as long you stay in the fairway and have good control.

1    12/9/2012   1/8/2013
Review By: EsquireDyer
Pros: Interesting layouts, varied distances and one my favorite holes of all time make the course one to be played. The views are fantastic. Several of the later holes in the woods closer to the lake are especially fun to play.
Cons: Without a lot of research online before playing some of the holes are very confusing to find. I can not remember a single sign on the entire course directing you from hole to hole.
Other Thoughts: The course favors long throwers on many holes as the holes were open all the way to the basket with few obstacles.

Proud to be my home course

5+    9/11/2010   9/14/2010
Review By: jcwright2110
Pros: Great Terrain. The course is designed to force skilled shots. There are trees, hyzers, hills, chutes, anhyzers, and a couple of long drives. Really great for all skill levels. I enjoy coming up on my favorite hole only for the pin to be moved. Keeps me on my toes.
Cons: The baskets spit out putts. They force precise shots but that is a problem for the long birds. The tee pads are in bad shape too.
Other Thoughts: I played this course weekly the entire summer. I am a newb and this course has taught me control. Now when I play other courses I benefit from it. If it were not for the baskets and tees this course would get a 5 based on my experience. To think about it, I'm going to play when I get off work.

Going Old School

1    7/6/2010   7/8/2010
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Veteran's Memorial Park is a good course in a beautiful park. I liked the rustic looking baskets from the early days of disc golf. The holes are fun and use multiple shot shapes from the tee box. A couple of long holes, a couple of wooded holes, and a couple with a bit of elevation change. Long and short tees and different pin placement on many holes.
Cons: Natural tee boxes were sort of rough in places. The signs left something to be desired, and flow from hole to hole was interrupted once or twice during my first and only round.
Other Thoughts: All in all, I would recommend playing this course if you have the opportunity. Not the best, but a worthwhile play. You can feel the disc golf history here.

Historic Old Course, Fun Round

1    7/11/2009   7/13/2009
Review By: BmaEngnr92
This review was updated on 8/3/2011
Pros: Really good layout and use of land/elevation on the majority of the holes. There are a variety of holes here, ranging from short & technical, to long & open. However, big arms aren't at a big advantage here; the guys who are accurate and have good distance control have a good chance to shoot a solid score. The location is pretty sweet too. The course sits very close to the lake, and atop some of the hills offers some nice views and vistas. When I was there, the park was clean and there weren't too many people around the course. Most traffic stayed up near the tennis courts and ball fields. There are also several pavilions along the course, and a few restroom areas. There are multiple pin locations, and Pro & Am pads on some holes.
Cons: Some of the tee pads are in dire need of repair. A few have erroded to the point that roots are present on the pad, a few that have carpet tended to be pretty slick, and one of the concrete pads was basically smooth, so any moisture and I bet that things is slipppperrryyy. The signage was a bit outdated too, and it would be nice to have a course map posted at the main board. A few holes run fairly close together which could be an issue in a big tourny, but certainly not anything major.
Other Thoughts: Overall, a solid disc golf course, but needs some work to really shine. Signage is outdated and many of the tees need major renovations, and there is a mixture of concrete, carpet, and dirt pads. Having consistent pads throughout would greatly add to the course. I purposely didn't add the homemade baskets to the Pros or Cons; mainly, because I respect the history of the course and understand the sentiment toward the baskets. However, new baskets really would make this course much better. There's a good bit of variety from a few longer open holes, to shorter technical holes. Bottom line, I thouroughly enjoyed playing the course, but if it was mine, there are quite a few updates I would make. If you are in or around Florence, you must stop by and play this course, as it certainly is special.

Favorite Holes: 4, 7, 8, 9, 12, 16, 17

Historic Old Course Is A Fun Throw!

1    7/8/2009   7/10/2009
Pros: This is a great piece of land for a course. The elevation change and wooded areas provide for a great throw. I agree with the reviewer who called this a medium length course. It's certainly more than a pitch and putt. The rough can be very unforgiving on a couple of holes. It was mostly signed. There are some benches placed around the course. I was lucky enough to hook up with a couple of locals otherwise I think it would have been a difficult to navigate the first time. Nice view of the river/harbor area.
Cons: Start with the baskets. They're certainly well constructed if they've lasted since 1983. I have no problem with the single chains but the saucer shaped baskets are going to kick out their share of putts. The carpet teepads are a little uneven and apparently a problem after rain. Navigating the course for the first time would be difficult.
Other Thoughts: I'd have no problem playing this as my home course. The baskets are fair for all that play here. It won't challenge the pros or more advanced players but provides an enjoyable afternoon of disc golf for most of us.

Will always be my home course

5+    12/18/2008   5/5/2009
Review By: xfourevertruex
Pros: GREAT hole design and Fantastic use of the land. You really feel like a part of disc golf history when playing this course. The locals are the best around and this is the true home for disc golf in the south!
Cons: Yeah yeah yeah..the baskets suck. you will be robbed of putts. Also, some of the concrete tees get a bit slick after rain. I broke a toe on tee #10! How's that for good times!
Other Thoughts: I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. Or if you have played this course before...you know what I'm going to say.

This course is awesome and will always be the course I call home, even though I'm 14 hours away now. Perfect place to learn the game...perfect place to perfect your game. PLEASE go check it out and get to know the locals. SFC!!!!!!!

5+    3/22/2009   3/22/2009
Review By: Justin L
Pros: A historic course with a variety of shots, accuracy and multiple skill shots (backhand, forehand, overhand) rewarded. Unique history of this course makes it a must play.
Cons: The carpet tee pads can get slick when wet and are unlevel in places. Course markings can be confusing for players unfamiliar with the course.
Other Thoughts: I couldn't decide to but the unique baskets as a pro or con. They definitely change how you play the course, and personally I would prefer them be replaced, perhaps relocated to a "pitch and put" style beginner course. If you have the opportunity stop by and play this course, you won't be disappointed! Huge props to SFC, the local club, for keeping this course in great shape!

5+    3/28/2010   12/1/2008
Review By: bazkitcase5
This review was updated on 11/11/2010
Pros: This is a fun course to play for all skill levels. It is mostly a pitch and putt course from the regular tees for pro level players, but there are some long tees and several of the holes have alternate pin placements that make the course a little more challenging. I would consider the course as mostly open, but with plenty of trees in the fairways to force your shot off the tee. The design is good, using these trees and elevation change to give the course a good shot variety, with a few interesting shots and force accurate shots off the tee. It is the kind of course to where every hole can be birdied with an accurate shot, but very few holes are actually gimmies.

The park is well taken care of and there are select benches placed throughout the course. Every hole has tee signs and the course loops back to the parking lot at the half way point, where there is also a pavilion and bathrooms. Camping is allowed in the park. The tees are a mix of concrete and carpet, which work well for the most part, although a few could use some work.
Cons: The locals consider their home made baskets a part of the course's long history and do not want to get rid of them. The idea sounds good, but for such a good course, my opinion is that it really detracts from your enjoyment of the round when you are waiting for your next good putt to get spit out. Yes these baskets will catch most putts in the sweet spot, even harder putts, but I have seen many good putts spit out that shapes my opinion of these baskets. Hole 15 has a concrete tee pad in which the rocks have become smooth to the point that they are always slick and when they are slick, it is like teeing off on ice. A couple of the carpet tees could use fresh carpet, where they have been trounced with mud and other wear and tear in recent years. A few more could use some more build up to counter the erosion, such as hole 1 with the roots, forcing a tough run up.
Other Thoughts: Overall I really like this course. It is very enjoyable to play and I like stopping to play if I am in the area, as well as attending their tournaments. The club small, but has several active and dedicated members. I would recommend this course if you are in the area.