Minneapolis (Eden Prairie), MN
Bryant Lake Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #6 (Taken 6/2015)
Hole #6 Blue Basket to Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
Another Minnesota Gem

5+    7/26/2015   8/17/2015
Review By: BogeyPar Guy
Pros: -impeccably maintained
-landscaped professionally
-highlights what a parks dept. can do with a course with some money
-Great mix of shots with real disc golf holes
-Pay 2 play
-no dogs
Cons: Can be busy, but thats not a bad thing for a pay 2 play.
Other Thoughts: Bryant Lake really set the bar for the Minneapolis area when it was remodeled a few years back. This place makes the parks dept. so much money it is ridiculous. A good score here is 48 or less as most of the holes you should be able to get. I love this course.

Beautiful course and well maintained

1    8/15/2015   8/17/2015
Review By: bukosknr
This review was updated on 8/24/2015
Pros:
-Teepads are concrete and great
-Bag Holders are nice and strong
-Waste and butt containers
-Nice Score cards and course map
-Scenery and the view are amazing throughout the course
-Elevation changes were stupid fun. Hole 17 is a great example of that, but there are others.
-Course was clean
-Markers and signage was excellent.
-All the greens were great and perfectly maintained.
Cons:
There were a few small things that really came down to projects unfinished. So I don't want to call them complete cons because its nice they are making changes and adding great new ways to make it look and play great. There were wood chip huge piles and not raked smooth, there were sections of grass they were trying to get to grow back etc etc.
I also feel the course if very forehand friendly, which I am not good at. Not to say its required or anything, just my opinion.
While playing it once and being newer to the sport I can't speak too much on the technical aspects of the course. While I found it to be very challenging the entire way through I bet more skilled players could add more comments to that part.

What I loved was how great the course was maintained, groomed and all the work into the landscaping. Little things like rock paths and retaining walls were just so great. Lots of nice steps and paths. Following it was very easy.

You can tell playing this course a lot of care and thought went into planning it and its design. You can tell the difference between this and other courses immediately when you get to the first hole.

This is certainly (if not the) one of the best courses I've ever had the chance to play.

Prepare to be Astonished

2-4    7/10/2015   7/15/2015
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: OK, OK, I know I'm going out on a limb a little bit with a 5.0 rating for a course that won't truly challenge the top players to bring their best game every time. But Bryant Lake fits my personal criterion for a 'perfect' rating because it does everything right, then goes WAY beyond the 'necessary', and will appeal to the widest range of players possible. I have only given this out four times in 201 reviews, but Bryant Lake Park earns one.

Why? Let's address the disc golf play first. You've got the variety of having at least two tees for every hole (blue and yellow), and usually have two baskets permanently in place to choose from (also yellow and blue). Casual players will have a lot of fun throwing yellow to yellow, while Intermediate to even Advanced players will enjoy blue to blue. They'll be able to keep it fresh by mixing up tees and pins for four options on nearly every hole. You'll be throwing blind tee shots, in and out of the woods, astonishing elevation shots, and enjoying the scenery of the dedicated park space up on the hills overlooking a pretty lake.

But what floored me was the infrastructure. Picture an enormous, trapezoidal, level concrete tee with metal benches, trash, recycle bins, 'ash trays', perfect tee signs, brooms, and retaining terraces, steps, brick and stone paved walkways, protective netting, and every landscaping feature you've ever seen on a course, then multiply it for multiple tees, terraced basket positions, fantastic course maintenance, fresh mulch constituting almost the entire putting surface for every basket, etc. etc. I mean, you'll never forget standing on the long tee for 11, realizing they've put up the safety netting on your left to protect you from the blind, downhill, hyzer throws off the 10th tee above, and staring down at maybe 150 feet of brick paved slope taking you halfway to the basket. Or realizing that most course designers would be happy putting the basket behind a boulder for a fun challenge (on 16), but they've actually terraced and paved stones around the feature!). And you might do like I did after throwing the top of the world shot on 17, and try to count the stairs you walk down to the fairway (about 100). Have you ever put in landscape stairs? This incredible feature is only there to access 1/36th of the course, really. Wow!

The pictures here on the web site give you a hint, but you really need to come check this out. It's astonishing!
Cons: Most folks can only find one or two negatives about Bryant Lake, and those are the fact that the challenge isn't championship caliber, and the design leans a little left to right overall. Doesn't really bother me. I play disc golf first for the fun, and second for the challenge. So if you're in the same boat, it might be really hard to find a 'con' about this course. Maybe the fact that the elevations will give you a hard time if you're not in shape? Maybe tens of thousands of dollars in course infrastructure isn't worth $5 per play or $45 per year to you. That's cool. Just know these are the facts going in, and, if you're like me, you'd say: wish I lived close by, because I'd pay that annual fee for a course like this in a heartbeat.

All right, I'll admit: as I racked my brain, I had to say that the parking is a little awkward. The best place to park is to the left after the entrance, and beside the 18th basket, the practice net and two practice baskets, there in the shade. 'Overflow' parking by the 15th tee would be the second choice, but I'd avoid parking downhill where shots that turn over to the right off of 17 long have a decent chance of dinging a parked car.
Other Thoughts: If I ever get back to the Twin Cities, there are a huge number of quality courses to play, but I'll be setting aside a day each time to play this one again and again.

Excellent

1    5/15/2015   5/17/2015
Review By: alex cincy
Pros: Excellent condition. Large tee pads. Clear signage at the tee and also after the baskets. Fairways apear to be groomed regularly and every green is mulched. Trash cans and ash trays at every tee along with benches and bag holders.

The course provided a good challenge: there were many long shots as well as several technical situations. Overall this course was planned very well. I would easily pay $5 again - if I lived closer I would definitely have a season pass.

Perfect

1    8/31/2014   9/1/2014
Review By: hnosaj
Pros: Groomed fairways, difficult rough, challenging elevation, trees, excellent tee pads, trash cans, recycling, benches and bag hangers at each hole. Simply put it's gorgeous
Cons: None that I could find. If this is what $5/round gets us every park should start charging.

Great Beautiful Course

5+    5/18/2014   5/18/2014
Review By: airwalk00
Pros: Extremely well groomed
Great amenities
Bench on every hole
Some difficulty
Awesome signature holes
Cons: Fairly easy, mostly straight shots
No pets
Busy
Other Thoughts: Must play course in the Twin Cities. It is 5$ to play, but this is one of the only courses that I have seen the money actually be put back into the course. A season pass is 35, and it is good at two other courses.

One of the Best!

5+    6/22/2013   8/7/2013
Review By: cant buy bird
This review was updated on 8/8/2013
Pros: All holes are well maintained and easy to follow. The difficulty is intermediate or higher, but can still be a fun course for beginners (if playing short tees.) The long tee for 17, enough said for that! Each hole has bag holders, benches, and garbage and recycling bins.
Cons: None that I can really think of. I am sure if I looked hard enough I could find a few.
Other Thoughts: If you have not played this course, I highly recommend you do so. It is worth the $5 day pass. Or if you live close, $30 for the yearly, which includes Hyland Ski and Snowboard and Elm Creek. Also fun courses.

Awesome!

1    7/14/2013   7/15/2013
Review By: firebotter
This review was updated on 9/25/2013
Pros: Layout is excellent. Signage is excellent. Facilities are excellent. Good challenge for all levels of play. With two baskets and two tees, you can play a different game everytime you play. Beautiful views for most of the course. Clean!!! The course offers a variety of elevations and open and wooded ares. 17 is by far one of the most fun with a huge downhill shot.
Cons: Cost five bucks. (Not really a con when you think about where the money goes)
Other Thoughts: This is an absolutely outstanding course. I will play again and again (at least untill I go broke).

Great Course

5+    9/16/2012   5/29/2013
Review By: rarintal
Pros: Immaculate upkeep, thought out and challenging holes, multiple hole layouts for almost all holes that allows it to change from day to day, second to last hole is throwing basically off of a cliff and it's awesome to see the disc soar through the air
Cons: not many
Other Thoughts: very well put together with a variety of holes

Favorite/Home Course

5+    8/25/2012   12/18/2012
Review By: ajkuck
This review was updated on 12/20/2012
Pros: It's my home course, so I'm somewhat biased, but it is one of the nicest courses I have ever played. The tee pads, landscaping, and buckets are in excellent condition. There are plenty of birdie/ace opportunities to go after as well. The course also offers several elevation changes and opportunities for a variety of shots. Hole 10 is a short par 3 on top of a hill, which creates for an awesome view of the lake, not to mention the ace opportunity. Hole 17 is definitely the signature hole. It's around 550 ft. and plays downhill probably 200 ft with an awesome tiered pin placement tucked into the hill.
Cons: Besides being a little busy at times, I really don't have any real complaints about Bryant, just some small, nit-picky things. First off, I wish there were a few more holes in the woods, which would make the course a little more challenging. My least favorite hole on the course would have to be 13, it's a really short downhill hole that plays to the right and really adds no value to the rest of the course. Lastly, the stairs on hole 17 really need to be replaced, as the are somewhat of a safety hazard.
Other Thoughts: I have played it over 100 times and it never gets old, especially hole 17. It is one of the nicest pay to play courses I have ever played besides Blue Ribbon Pines. Considering all of the money that has been put into the development of this course, it should really have a practice pin to warm up on. A great location would be right by the gravel parking lot. All things considered however, the investment in the course really shows with new benches, signs, and bag holders on every hole and I think many more courses should follow suit.

< Prev 1 2 3