Minneapolis (Eden Prairie), MN
Bryant Lake Park Share
Uploaded By: Bevo Hole #8 (Taken 8/2009)

One of the best in Minnesota

2-4    7/13/2011   9/13/2011
Review By: sheepweevil
Pros: This course is amazing, and is definitely the best one I have played so far. It has an extremely wide variety of shots, alternate tees and baskets, and is very well-maintained.

All baskets have mulch around them, and there is beautiful landscaping everywhere. There are some pop machines about halfway through the course. Almost every tee has benches, a trash can, and a bag holder.

Hole 17 is the signature hole, a monster 500+ footer, driving off the top of a giant hill toward a landscaped hill on the other side. Hole 16 is also distinctive, with a challenging drive through a narrow lane in the trees. The basket is right behind a huge rock, making for some interesting approaches and putts.

The setting is beautiful, with great views of nearby Bryant Lake. Overall, an exceptional course and one of the best ways to spend an afternoon in Minnesota.
Cons: It's easy to lose discs, as multiple holes have steep wooded drop offs, and there is tall grass in the rough.
Other Thoughts: As an intermediate-skill player, this course is plenty difficult for me.

Beautiful Bryant

1    8/18/2011   8/27/2011
Review By: #19325
Pros: Bryant Lake absolutely blows my mind away. The course sets the standard on how a disc golf course should be installed and maintained. I'd like to know how much money is invested into the course. The walking paths are awesome and there is little to no errosion due to the landscaping. There is more work in this course than the rest of the courses that i've played combined!

It sits in a beautiful park overlooking Bryant Lake on many holes. This course is mostly open with rough lining many fairways. Elevation comes into play on many holes. Hole #17 is absolutely spectacular!

I was surprised to see this course had a higher rating than Kaposia. It's much more beginner friendly than many of the courses in the area. The work in the course takes it over the top. I had a hard time giving it a rating and believe it deserves a 4.5. If it was a little more challenging it would be getting a 5.0.

Most holes have 2 tee pads and some have 2 baskets.

We had no problem navigating this course. The tee and next tee signs are awesome. Each tee sign had bag holders. Many holes had benches.

Awesome concrete tee pads.

The baskets are very nice new Chainstars.

This course really needs updated pictures. I can't even begin to describe the number of unique landscaping features. The entire course is lined with awesome work. You have to see it to believe it.
Cons: As a pro player even the longest tee to longest basket isn't quite hard enough to push the limits.

I wish the tee signs were updated with the holes that had 2nd pins. We were playing the toughest layout and had to look to see if there was a 2nd pin.
Other Thoughts: This course is a must play while in the area. It's super fun to play and you will be blown away by the landscaping work done.

This is my dream property and exactly what I want one of my courses to look like when I win the lottery.

Immaculate

1    6/6/2011   8/26/2011
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Where to begin....

Course condition: Bryant lake is pristinely manicured. The rough is well-defined and the fairways are in excellent condition. Amazingly, there seems to be very little deterioration of the grass due to foot traffic.

Amenities: Multiple tee pads and some multiple baskets offer a challenge and variety. All baskets are surrounded by wood-chipped greens. Many greens are tiered. While the area is very hilly, these structures will go a long way in preventing erosion in addition to making the course look nice. Benches and bag holders are at nearly every tee. Baskets and tees were all in excellent condition.

Design: The course requires the use of a number of different shot-shapes. I won't go so far as to say you'll need "every disc in the bag" because I think if you can work your discs, you can make it through this course with only a few discs.

Elevation: Bryant Lake is set among the rolling hills bordering the lake. There are a number of great views as you play the course. The course design does not misuse the elevation that is in play with the terrain. Most holes have a solid degree of elevation change. While this is rampant throughout, a good example is Hole#17 and Hole #18. #17 - "Top of the World" shot...followed by #18 long uphill and back to the parking lot.

Sheer enjoyment: Bryant Lake is definitely high on the "fun-o-meter". It is a relaxing place and the course doesn't stress you out. You can simply enjoy the sport you love in an amazing environment.
Cons: As seems to be the case with all other reviewers, the only con is the lack of challenge. Advanced players will find this course to be remedial. However, even the pros can respect the aesthetic pleasures of Bryant Lake. If you are looking for a grueling round that will wear you down emotionally and physically...go elsewhere.

A slight navigation issue around Hole #15. This looked like it was due to some course maintenance or changes, so I am willing to write this off as a temporary issue.
Other Thoughts: Bryant Lake is an amazing area and this course is absolutely gorgeous. If you have not made it to the Twin Cities area for some disc golf, you are missing out. This is the nicest disc golf course I have ever played, without a doubt.

This course does not take a long time to play. However, if you want my advice, take your time and enjoy the views and serenity. While you are still located in a major metropolis, the rest of the world seems to fade away during your round.

Pay-to-play...and worth every penny. I would have paid much more to play this gem.

If you're in the Twin Cities, you are obviously going to try and play Blue Ribbon Pines. Make sure that you don't overlook Bryant Lake, and don't be surprised if you like it better. This course should not be left out when planning an excursion into Minneapolis.

As bjreagh noted: hit up the guys and gals at Gotta Go Gotta Throw. Great selection of discs, clothing and accessories. The store is not far from the course.

Like playing a real golf course

1    7/28/2011   7/28/2011
Review By: StoneWallKid
This review was updated on 6/12/2012
Pros: This place is like playing a real country club ball golf course. Its fancy. The tees are all concrete and usually of decent size. The fairways are all manicured like you'd expect on a lawn commercial. And there were almost (if not) always two tees (blue & red) and two baskets! They were usually both set pretty far apart and gave a lot of options for hole position. I didnt take notice of what kind of cages they used, but they were nice. All the baskets have wood chips around them. And wherever it looked nice it seems they built beautiful wooden stair cases. 17's TOP OF THE WORLD was pretty nice.. not the best ever, but nice. It was ONLY $3 to play!!!! Usually I'm into free disc golf. But at this course it is clear that your money goes back into the course. For someone sakes there were two brick layers laying what seemed to be the golden brick road between 17's pin and 18's tee.. Not sure why now that I look back..
Cons: Mosquitos!!!! Seriously I want to copy/paste that 1,000 times.. But I'll leave it at that. Not the courses fault, but you'll feel it anyway, the Humidity is the worst I've ever felt... I'm from out of state. When entering the park I was confused as to where to park, then where to pay. Now let me prefece this with this.. I was having an off day in my head. It was like I couldnt remember how I hold me arm pre-throw so all my drives felt uncomfortable. So it felt to me that all the tees were too short, and not flush enough with the ground. However one of the tees had to be 15-20ft long and I still felt it was too short, so take all that with a grain of salt. There were too many short holes.
Other Thoughts: Its a brilliantly nice course with a good number of fun shots.. Overall too many average shots though. I think I'm slightly overwhelmed by how well manicured it is and its making me feel the course is better than it is.

Why Aren't All Disc Golf Courses Like This?

1    7/14/2011   7/22/2011
This review was updated on 8/17/2011
Pros: Bryant Lake is hands down the most well manicured and has the nicest amenities of any of the 350 + courses that I have played to date. To me it was like playing at golf country club. Coming from an state (Washington) where the clubs have to do all their own course work and then to see the amazing amount of work and money put into this course by the parks department and their resources was pretty incredible. I was most impressed with:

Hole 7 with it's four layers of landscaped timbers has got to be one of he single most expensive disc golf holes in the country! Plus it's fun and fairly intimidating to play.

Landscaping rock steps leading up the path leading to # 5 teepad. And then slate rockery steps leaving the # 5 pad.

# 16 with it's large rock sitting squarely in front of the basket makes for a very unique hole.

# 17 Bryant Lake's version of the "Top Of The World Shot." It's a fun throw but not neccesarily a great "Top of the World Shot."

Amazing views of the lake from many places on the course. I love scenic on my courses.

Cons: I'm agreeing with Mr. scarpfish here and listing as my only con of this course. That is the fact that advanced and pro players will be a little underwhelmed by this course. Even from the long tees, it plays as an intermediate course. It's the nicest, coolest intermediate course I've ever had the pleasure of playing on but still I believe that is the only thing that keeps it from being a 5 star course.
Other Thoughts: It's not as challenging as Blue Ribbon Pines but I found it to be, for me, a much more enjoyable experience. It's major con, to me, which is it's lack of challenge, is exactly what I like so much about it. An aging rec player such as myself can come to Bryant Lake, shoot a great round and not be overwhelmed in any way.

Dear Minnesotians,

I found quite a few of your courses to be slightly overrated. This was not one of them.

Sincerely,

The Valkyrie Kid

Fun and Scenic

1    6/6/2011   7/20/2011
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Bryant Park DGC is easily the nicest course I have ever seen. The groundskeeping is amazing with neatly mowed fairways and well-defined rough, concrete tees that sit in built-up and framed tee boxes, mulched greens surrounded each basket in a large circle. The course has many benches, excellent bag hangers, and great tee signs. Navigation was a breeze without the map, but you do get a map and scorecard once you pay. I can't express in words how much time, effort, and attention to detail that has been put into this course (check out the pics and you will see). Also, this park does not feel like it is in a big city as it has grassy hills, large trees, and spectacular views of the lake that can be seen from many of the holes.

The course itself features a solid design with good variety of open/wooded, left/right/straight, and flat/up/down. There are two sets of tees for each hole- the shorts are great for any level player and the longs offer more challenge of length and often a different angle. Even from the longs, this course is on the shorter side of the modern day average, but there is enough rough, obstacles, mandos, and o.b. to keep you honest.

There was no repetitive or filler holes. There were, however, multiple unique/memorable/signature holes. For example, #7 features a tiered green, #15 has an artificial "water" hazard, and of course #17 which is one of the ultimate "top-of-the-world shots".
Cons: Just a very few nitpicky things: There is no water in play, despite the name of the course!

There was one longer than normal walk somewhere in the middle that could have used a sign or two to help navigate through the woods as there were multiple paths.

The hill to #15 tee was steep and did not have stairs- they are found all over the rest of the course but badly needed here. There appeared to be some (presumably temporary) construction/maintenance on holes 15 and 16 so, I unfortunately did not get to play #16 with the big rock as was intended, but instead there was temp discatcher set up short. I am not sure, but #15 may have been different than the normal set up as well.

There were 2 baskets in the ground for each of the first 4 holes, but the rest only had 1. (Maybe 2 per hole is a work in progress?)

The shorter tees did not have a tee sign of their own.
Other Thoughts: It does cost $3/person/day to play here, but you can clearly see those dollars at work. Bryant is a beautiful course with its natural scenery and the man-made luxuries. It offers a country club feel that you normally only see on ball golf courses.

This course is more about having fun in an amazing setting, rather than being difficult- and it succeeds and exceeds its purpose. Those looking for the ultimate challenge will not find it at Bryant Lake so keep that in mind, and if I lived here I would probably get bored after a few rounds here and would seek courses with a higher level of difficulty. However, it is no pitch and putt slouch either- the holes are interesting enough and you still have to throw quality shots to shoot well.

Also, this course is really close to Gotta Go Gotta Throw, so be sure to check out their large inventory while you are here.

Even better than before.

5+    4/29/2011   5/22/2011
Review By: puttlikeablowfly
This review was updated on 6/8/2011
Pros: * Reasonably-priced pay-for-play, and it's clear that money goes back into the course
* Incredible course sculpting / erosion control
* Very nice concrete tee pads (dual on all but a couple of holes)
* Dual baskets on some holes (can be a bit confusing to new players, but more of a pro than a con)
* Short tees are beginner-friendly but still make for a fun course
* Back tees offer plenty of length to challenge all intermediate and many advanced players
* Lots of elevation change
* Good mix of open, light and moderately-wooded holes
* Hole #7 green -- WOW
* Hole #17 when east parking lot is empty
* Nice park overall, with a great playground for the kids. I can't stress how nice it is to have great disc golf in a family-friendly park with other activities.
Cons: * Hole #17 from back tee when east parking lot has cars in it. IMHO, it is too risky to play anything but an ultra-safe shot way left.
* I could see some advanced / pro players hoping for some more opportunities to let 'er rip
Other Thoughts: I played this course a number of times in the first half of the '00s, when it was just 12 holes. It was a fun course before, but I was blown away by the improvements when I came back. This should definitely be a model for other courses that already charge fees or are considering becoming pay-for-play.

One of the best in the twin cities

5+    7/28/2010   3/28/2011
Review By: coolbrees15
This review was updated on 12/11/2011
Pros: Bryant Lake Park is one of the best courses in the twin cities. The tee pads are excellent and the fairways are meticulously well maintained. There is excellent signage throughout the course. The course really makes good use of elevation and challenges the player by making them throw up and down multiple hills. The course use unique features to create a special course. For example the 7th hole's use of three levels of manmade terraces is very different and really made me think on how to approach the pin after my initial drive the first time I played the course. The distances on the holes are not overly long and the longer holes generally are downhill or have a very forgiving par listed on the sign making the hole not overly tough. The 17th hole is really the signature hole of the course and the downhill throw to the pin on the terrace is very neat and is one of the best tee shots in the twin cities.
Cons: There are very few cons for this course. I think the biggest con is the while the course is excellent in design and upkeep the course just lacks some inherent wow factor. The difficulty of the course is not as high as other championship caliber course and I think that might be what contributes to the course not having that wow factor. Don't get me wrong the course is an excellent play but nowhere on the course do I get that wow I just played that hole feel like I do at some other championship caliber courses like Idlewild, or Coyote Point. The other con is that the course really does not require to many different shots. A good right hand backhand player can basically throw the same shot over and over again on ever hole other than the short technical 13th hole.
Other Thoughts: Excellent course that really shows what pay to play can do for a course. One of the best courses in the twin cities and must play for someone passing through the area.

Its a very purty course, albeit some underwhelming holes

1    6/10/2010   2/15/2011
Review By: scarpfish
Pros: Great intermediate to recreational level course. Probably in terms of amenities and manicuring, Bryant Lake probably ranks at the top of any course that I've ever played. Beautiful detailed signage, spacious dual pads, and often dual baskets on many holes. Terraced tees and pin areas which add a fun element to approaches. Lots of trees and schule to avoid and great elevation changes. Everyone needs to play the signature downhill bomb on 17 long-long just once. $3/day $35/year fee keeps a lot of the riff-raff element away.
Cons: Advanced to pro level players will be underwhelmed here (although they can still enjoy themselves). For all of its manicured beauty, the amenities do seem to be putting a facade on a course that simply isn't that challenging. I'm not that great a player, and even playing this course for the first time I was able to shoot 6 up from the long pads (albeit to what was the short basket in most instances because it took me awhile to realize some holes had two baskets). I like the idea of having dual baskets as they give the players choices, but they can lead first timers here to confusion as they're not common at most courses. Distinguishing them with different colored flags would help. While I love the shot on 17, there is potential for hitting people on the roadway or bikepath below, or for hitting cars in the parking lot to the area right of the baskets. Watch before you throw if you decide to shoot from the long pad.
Other Thoughts: Yeah, while it wasn't exactly BRP, I'd definitely come back here and play again, and I think people should stop by here if they're in the Twin Cities just to see what is possible as far as sprucing up their course if we start embracing the idea of pay to play. If you come here, definitely keep an eye on your throws or send out someone to spot as there are plenty of spots off the fairway that can hide your disc.

5+    1/18/2011   1/18/2011
Review By: dipple
Pros: Looks nice and well kept.
Cons: Birdie fest. Pay to play. You have to pay extra at tourneys and leagues, even if you already have a season pass.
Other Thoughts: Highly overrated. Sure it's a nice property, but it's not that great as far as good holes are concerned.