Minneapolis (Eden Prairie), MN
Bryant Lake Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #13 (Taken 6/2015)

Why Aren't All Disc Golf Courses Like This?

1    7/14/2011   7/22/2011
This review was updated on 8/17/2011
Pros: Bryant Lake is hands down the most well manicured and has the nicest amenities of any of the 350 + courses that I have played to date. To me it was like playing at golf country club. Coming from an state (Washington) where the clubs have to do all their own course work and then to see the amazing amount of work and money put into this course by the parks department and their resources was pretty incredible. I was most impressed with:

Hole 7 with it's four layers of landscaped timbers has got to be one of he single most expensive disc golf holes in the country! Plus it's fun and fairly intimidating to play.

Landscaping rock steps leading up the path leading to # 5 teepad. And then slate rockery steps leaving the # 5 pad.

# 16 with it's large rock sitting squarely in front of the basket makes for a very unique hole.

# 17 Bryant Lake's version of the "Top Of The World Shot." It's a fun throw but not neccesarily a great "Top of the World Shot."

Amazing views of the lake from many places on the course. I love scenic on my courses.

Cons: I'm agreeing with Mr. scarpfish here and listing as my only con of this course. That is the fact that advanced and pro players will be a little underwhelmed by this course. Even from the long tees, it plays as an intermediate course. It's the nicest, coolest intermediate course I've ever had the pleasure of playing on but still I believe that is the only thing that keeps it from being a 5 star course.
Other Thoughts: It's not as challenging as Blue Ribbon Pines but I found it to be, for me, a much more enjoyable experience. It's major con, to me, which is it's lack of challenge, is exactly what I like so much about it. An aging rec player such as myself can come to Bryant Lake, shoot a great round and not be overwhelmed in any way.

Dear Minnesotians,

I found quite a few of your courses to be slightly overrated. This was not one of them.

The Valkyrie Kid

Fun and Scenic

1    6/6/2011   7/20/2011
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Bryant Park DGC is easily the nicest course I have ever seen. The groundskeeping is amazing with neatly mowed fairways and well-defined rough, concrete tees that sit in built-up and framed tee boxes, mulched greens surrounded each basket in a large circle. The course has many benches, excellent bag hangers, and great tee signs. Navigation was a breeze without the map, but you do get a map and scorecard once you pay. I can't express in words how much time, effort, and attention to detail that has been put into this course (check out the pics and you will see). Also, this park does not feel like it is in a big city as it has grassy hills, large trees, and spectacular views of the lake that can be seen from many of the holes.

The course itself features a solid design with good variety of open/wooded, left/right/straight, and flat/up/down. There are two sets of tees for each hole- the shorts are great for any level player and the longs offer more challenge of length and often a different angle. Even from the longs, this course is on the shorter side of the modern day average, but there is enough rough, obstacles, mandos, and o.b. to keep you honest.

There was no repetitive or filler holes. There were, however, multiple unique/memorable/signature holes. For example, #7 features a tiered green, #15 has an artificial "water" hazard, and of course #17 which is one of the ultimate "top-of-the-world shots".
Cons: Just a very few nitpicky things: There is no water in play, despite the name of the course!

There was one longer than normal walk somewhere in the middle that could have used a sign or two to help navigate through the woods as there were multiple paths.

The hill to #15 tee was steep and did not have stairs- they are found all over the rest of the course but badly needed here. There appeared to be some (presumably temporary) construction/maintenance on holes 15 and 16 so, I unfortunately did not get to play #16 with the big rock as was intended, but instead there was temp discatcher set up short. I am not sure, but #15 may have been different than the normal set up as well.

There were 2 baskets in the ground for each of the first 4 holes, but the rest only had 1. (Maybe 2 per hole is a work in progress?)

The shorter tees did not have a tee sign of their own.
Other Thoughts: It does cost $3/person/day to play here, but you can clearly see those dollars at work. Bryant is a beautiful course with its natural scenery and the man-made luxuries. It offers a country club feel that you normally only see on ball golf courses.

This course is more about having fun in an amazing setting, rather than being difficult- and it succeeds and exceeds its purpose. Those looking for the ultimate challenge will not find it at Bryant Lake so keep that in mind, and if I lived here I would probably get bored after a few rounds here and would seek courses with a higher level of difficulty. However, it is no pitch and putt slouch either- the holes are interesting enough and you still have to throw quality shots to shoot well.

Also, this course is really close to Gotta Go Gotta Throw, so be sure to check out their large inventory while you are here.

Even better than before.

5+    4/29/2011   5/22/2011
Review By: puttlikeablowfly
This review was updated on 6/8/2011
Pros: * Reasonably-priced pay-for-play, and it's clear that money goes back into the course
* Incredible course sculpting / erosion control
* Very nice concrete tee pads (dual on all but a couple of holes)
* Dual baskets on some holes (can be a bit confusing to new players, but more of a pro than a con)
* Short tees are beginner-friendly but still make for a fun course
* Back tees offer plenty of length to challenge all intermediate and many advanced players
* Lots of elevation change
* Good mix of open, light and moderately-wooded holes
* Hole #7 green -- WOW
* Hole #17 when east parking lot is empty
* Nice park overall, with a great playground for the kids. I can't stress how nice it is to have great disc golf in a family-friendly park with other activities.
Cons: * Hole #17 from back tee when east parking lot has cars in it. IMHO, it is too risky to play anything but an ultra-safe shot way left.
* I could see some advanced / pro players hoping for some more opportunities to let 'er rip
Other Thoughts: I played this course a number of times in the first half of the '00s, when it was just 12 holes. It was a fun course before, but I was blown away by the improvements when I came back. This should definitely be a model for other courses that already charge fees or are considering becoming pay-for-play.

One of the best in the twin cities

5+    7/28/2010   3/28/2011
Review By: coolbrees15
This review was updated on 12/11/2011
Pros: Bryant Lake Park is one of the best courses in the twin cities. The tee pads are excellent and the fairways are meticulously well maintained. There is excellent signage throughout the course. The course really makes good use of elevation and challenges the player by making them throw up and down multiple hills. The course use unique features to create a special course. For example the 7th hole's use of three levels of manmade terraces is very different and really made me think on how to approach the pin after my initial drive the first time I played the course. The distances on the holes are not overly long and the longer holes generally are downhill or have a very forgiving par listed on the sign making the hole not overly tough. The 17th hole is really the signature hole of the course and the downhill throw to the pin on the terrace is very neat and is one of the best tee shots in the twin cities.
Cons: There are very few cons for this course. I think the biggest con is the while the course is excellent in design and upkeep the course just lacks some inherent wow factor. The difficulty of the course is not as high as other championship caliber course and I think that might be what contributes to the course not having that wow factor. Don't get me wrong the course is an excellent play but nowhere on the course do I get that wow I just played that hole feel like I do at some other championship caliber courses like Idlewild, or Coyote Point. The other con is that the course really does not require to many different shots. A good right hand backhand player can basically throw the same shot over and over again on ever hole other than the short technical 13th hole.
Other Thoughts: Excellent course that really shows what pay to play can do for a course. One of the best courses in the twin cities and must play for someone passing through the area.

Its a very purty course, albeit some underwhelming holes

1    6/10/2010   2/15/2011
Review By: scarpfish
Pros: Great intermediate to recreational level course. Probably in terms of amenities and manicuring, Bryant Lake probably ranks at the top of any course that I've ever played. Beautiful detailed signage, spacious dual pads, and often dual baskets on many holes. Terraced tees and pin areas which add a fun element to approaches. Lots of trees and schule to avoid and great elevation changes. Everyone needs to play the signature downhill bomb on 17 long-long just once. $3/day $35/year fee keeps a lot of the riff-raff element away.
Cons: Advanced to pro level players will be underwhelmed here (although they can still enjoy themselves). For all of its manicured beauty, the amenities do seem to be putting a facade on a course that simply isn't that challenging. I'm not that great a player, and even playing this course for the first time I was able to shoot 6 up from the long pads (albeit to what was the short basket in most instances because it took me awhile to realize some holes had two baskets). I like the idea of having dual baskets as they give the players choices, but they can lead first timers here to confusion as they're not common at most courses. Distinguishing them with different colored flags would help. While I love the shot on 17, there is potential for hitting people on the roadway or bikepath below, or for hitting cars in the parking lot to the area right of the baskets. Watch before you throw if you decide to shoot from the long pad.
Other Thoughts: Yeah, while it wasn't exactly BRP, I'd definitely come back here and play again, and I think people should stop by here if they're in the Twin Cities just to see what is possible as far as sprucing up their course if we start embracing the idea of pay to play. If you come here, definitely keep an eye on your throws or send out someone to spot as there are plenty of spots off the fairway that can hide your disc.

5+    1/18/2011   1/18/2011
Review By: dipple
Pros: Looks nice and well kept.
Cons: Birdie fest. Pay to play. You have to pay extra at tourneys and leagues, even if you already have a season pass.
Other Thoughts: Highly overrated. Sure it's a nice property, but it's not that great as far as good holes are concerned.

1    10/16/2010   10/16/2010
Review By: E_Rock25
This review was updated on 7/19/2011
Pros: This course is exceptionally nice & challenging. It has everything a top tear course should have (with the exception of very little water). The use of the property is well though out and there are some incredible views. It is very clean and well maintained.

- Wide variety of shots.
- Big long tee pads.
- Two tees and pins on most holes.
- Lots of elevation changes.
- Exceptional landscaping & maintenance.
- Wooded holes, open holes, rights, left, ups & downs.
- Great signage & benches. Awesome tee pad areas in general, best I have seen.
- Sand traps. THIS IS SUCH A GREAT IDEA!!!!
- Hard for beginners but doable because of short tees and pins.

This is one of the nicest course I have played it is right up their with Blue Ribbon Pines. There are three or four signature holes and the rest of the course is awesome as well.
-The 17th hole is what this course is known for 542ft over the parking lot off a massive cliff. Very sweet but can be dangerous as well.
-16 has a very cool rock in the middle of the fairway that comes into play and makes this hole interesting.
-14 or 15 has a sand trap, which I think is a great idea. I wish there was more holes like this and more course that put traps in use.
-Hole 7 is set atop a four-tear, landscaped pyramid that was made for erosion control. It is very intimidating and can make for some bad rolls.
Cons: 1)Most of the difficulty of this course comes from the length. It has some interesting hole placement but for the most part you don't have to think about your line to much. Don't get me wrong I think this is a wonderful course I just think some of the pins could be placed better.
2)There is very little water on this course and only if you have a real bad throw dose it come into play.
3)There are some places where there is the chance of getting hit by a disk. 17 & a big down hill hyzer I think 9 or 10 are the two most dangerous.
4)This course can get busy and if there are leagues you might as well go some place else. It is great that the course is so well received but I think their needs to be another top tear course near by to relive some of the pressure.
5)This is not a con for me but may be for some pay to play.
6)This is not a con for me but there are lots of good players and it can get a little bit intimidating sometimes.

1    6/12/2009   10/13/2010
Review By: smyith
This review was updated on 10/17/2010
Pros: - Great cement tee pads
- Amazing tee areas
- Great tee signs
- Well manicured and maintained
- Some great views
- Elevation changes are well used
- Wind plays in interesting ways
- Fun shots
- From Pro's 340'+ consistent distance required for a good score
- Water plays in well
- The rough although punishing, is easy to find your disc
- The way the course is set-up really shows you how much the park district actually cares.
- Amenities wise one of the best P2P I've played, second only to BRP.
Cons: - No Dogs allowed
- Hole 17 is over a parking lot
- Not overly challenging
- Minimal shot shaping required!
- Too many hyzer shots over and over again. I can only remember throwing maybe 2-3 holes without using a hyzer line.
Other Thoughts: Distance is the main challenge on this course. A few holes here and there require moderate shot shaping. As long as you can drive consistently 340' you'll be in good shape. Elevation can punish arrant shots. On the majority of holes I threw a gentle hyzer shot and had good putt opportunities at the basket. This course lacks a truly challenging hole. There wasn't a single hole that I felt I wasn't going for the optimal line. To break into the 4 disc rating I feel that at least a few holes should leave me pondering what I should've thrown. This is a fun course and I suggest playing it. If your limited on time I would suggest playing some of the other more noted courses in the area.
I am an intermediate player, if I can walk on to this course blind and shot a negative score and miss several birdie putts it isn't a tough course. Even my two friends who were with me, step above chuckers, shot right near even. We played all the long tees too.

Great Course

5+    8/19/2010   8/25/2010
Review By: mauimark
Pros: Great mixture of challenging tees and distance tees. Very well maintained and nice landscaping. Great views of the lake and fairly close to the city. Some good elevation changes also make this a challenging course.
Cons: There are a couple holes that I consider "disc eaters". but then again that's the challenge. Almost always crowded with waits at multiple tees.
Other Thoughts: I play Bryant at least once to twice a month, it is definitely one of my favorites.

Way cooler than the Mall of America

1    8/19/2010   8/23/2010
Review By: whitechocolate
Pros: -Well manicured park
-Duel concrete tees on most holes
-Duel pin locations on some holes
-Well signs
-Easy to navigate
-Scorecards, Maps, and Pencils are course sign
-Plenty of elevation changes
-With multiple tees plenty of options for Pros to Newbies to play
-Plenty of Trash Cans
-Mostly secluded course

Absolutely awesome course. Great opportunities to throw all different length depending on ability. A great place to be able to throw from the longs and have the wife throw from the shorts and everyone can still have a good time. Great flow, just a amazing course in the Twin Cities metro. Plenty of rough and obstacles to make it challenging with the opportunities to try for birdies and well. You will need your full bag of tricks.
Cons: -course improvements happening on a couple of holes.
-pay to play (three bucks)

I don't find pay to play to be an issue but I know other people do. I think three bucks to maintain a course for the park district is completely fair for this type of course. The only real con I saw was the changes happening on holes 6, 8 and 15 (6 and 8 might not be completely accurate but I believe that was the holes). It is definitely not a bad thing, but the stone does take a little away from the beauty and is rougher on the disc. I believe it's all for the better, but is technically a con. I would also like to see a vending machine by the bathroom between hole 1 and 14. Definitely would be a bonus. Hole 17 is there is a risk of throwing into the parking lot. I am a truely Novice/Rec borderline player, threw a right hand forehand as hard as I could and did not feel my disc was heading for the parking lot. Although I did aim at the port-a-potty.

It could use some more convenient parking for the disc golf course but did not find this an issue at 5:30pm on a Thursday evening.
Other Thoughts: Great overall course; One of the best I have played so far. If I lived in Minneapolis I would definitely own a yearly pass. It offers enough challenge without be self-defeating. I would rate this as a championship caliber course (from the longs to the long baskets) but still friendly enough to play for a moderately experienced player. I would recommend playing shorts your first time, especially if you are newer to the game, but any variety of teepads and baskets offer plenty of challenges. It is a must play if you want to see what disc golf is all about.