Novato, CA
Stafford Lake County Park Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #8 (Taken 7/2014)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

2-4    9/5/2014   9/6/2014
Review By: prospector84
Pros: This course is a great challenge! I've played here a few times and really enjoyed it each time. There is a good mix up of distance shots to take and more technical holes, but this course is mostly about distance. The average long T is about 500 to 600 feet from the pin, hole 9 is a absolute monster at about 1000 feet. It's never been busy, which is nice if you want to take your time, but I would like to see it get more use.
Cons: Its easy to waste time searching for a lost disc in the high grass, especially if you're like me and have a lot of yellow and white discs. There's been a warning lately about a rattlesnake around hole 4 which I want nothing to do with. Other than that just be ready for a decent hike up to hole 6, it's a relatively easy walk after that.
Other Thoughts: Great views!

Wildlife!

1    6/16/2014   6/23/2014
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: This course is an epic destination spot for playing, especially if you are a gold lever player or a top pro looking to challenge your game. There are many opportunities for long bombs off the tee and this is required in order to score well. You will be throwing a lot of uphill and downhill throws, with great variety in the shape of your shot as well. Landing areas and the way you land is crucial to avoiding discs rolling away and there are many tricky basket locations that don't help you out on that front. Punishment off the fairway is decent.

There are both multiple basket locations and tee pads for even more variety here. I played the course with all short positions but I scouted out the middle and longer positions as well to concrete my rating and overall thoughts on the course as a traveling player, being as I am not a local and am not completely familiar with the course.

The par four hole and par five hole(s) have very defined fairways and landing areas with lots of good punishment for those not hitting the lines and landings. As an amateur the par five, hole nine hole was very difficult based solely on length but looks like a very good challenge for pros with obstacles that I didn't really have an issue with. The large tree in the middle of the fairway and the tree wall on the right make a top player have to choose a shot/line here where I could just 'throw down the middle' and be fine.

Make sure you play the long tee for hole number 14; this is a sort of "top of the world shot" that is highly underrated as a hole. Sure it may not be as open or as high up as the `Whistler's Bend' hole but it's a much better, challenging hole at least in the far position that I didn't get to play sadly. This is a great downhill shot without just being there for fun, it's also a good, hard hole...Giggity...
Cons: Its gets very hot and dry in this area during the Summer time and there are a lot of up and down hill walking in the heat with virtually no shade. Keeping with this theme there are some blind basket locations with require scouting before you throw. The grass can get very tall and make finding your throws much more difficult, I played it while this was the case. The new wooded section has poison oak all over it so bad when I was there that we didn't even want to go near those holes and only checked them out from a distance. $$$ It's a tad on the expensive side for some ($8 If I remember correctly) of those who want cheap golf. The long walk from the parking lot to the course is a bit of a hassle.
Other Thoughts: Each tee sign has a picture of something on it from a rabbit, deer, turkey, tick, etc. and every hole that had whatever picture on it we saw all of those the day we played. I got pictures of deer, rabbits, chipmunks, wild turkeys, lizards and the lake of course. I also got my first tick ever stuck to me and I freaked out a little as we don't really have much of those near the Seattle area.

The views are awesome, the golf is awesome and the wildlife is abundant and awesome and there is lots of it. I wouldn't take a brand new player here unless I hated them but other than that you should be playing this course! Seriously get off of the computer and go play!

An epic disc golf journey

5+    6/16/2014   6/17/2014
Review By: kevaunne
Pros: This park has an abundance of beautiful scenery and wildlife. There is a great mix of long, short, uphill, downhill, open, closed, left doglegs and right doglegs. There are handful of holes that have some serious distance. This course will test your range of skill. Baskets, maps, and signage are very good. Tees are almost all concrete and are generally in very good shape

I finally got a chance to play the 'bonus' holes up the hill from 4. They've successfully filled in some design gaps with heavily wooded tight lines and tunnel shots. These holes really round out the course nicely and add shot variety that doesn't really exist in the original 18.
Cons: This course requires a lot of hiking in a hilly wilderness area. Pack in extra water and snacks. Wear pants and durable shoes to protect from burrs and poison oak. Despite coming prepared, I ended my round exhausted and dehydrated.

While I greatly appreciated the bonus holes, they were poorly marked and blanketed in poison oak. I grew very tired walking up and down hills scouting for tees and baskets.
Other Thoughts: This can be a tough course both physically and mentally. It's an epic slice of land where the course designers seem to have virtually unrestricted control over layout. This leads to some really spectacular and thoughtful layouts. If you're above beginner, give this course a try!

WOW

1    2/11/2014   2/11/2014
Review By: tvo707
Pros: This course was just amazing, don't really know where to start. Great views, great tee boxes, pocket maps at hole #1 for first timers like me, brooms at most if not all tee boxes.
Cons: Can be confusing on the basket you are throwing at on a few holes. Also someone new to the course may stumble on to the "extra holes" and wonder whats going on these are not on the map.
Other Thoughts: Very friendly fellow behind us that we let play through gave us a few tips for navigating the course, like the rabbit ears that hide a basket on a hole(a bush that almost looks like a rabbit head.

1    1/18/2014   1/31/2014
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: Extremely scenic course that is on and surrounded by oak covered rolling hills with a view of Stafford Lake nearby. It is completely isolated from the rest of the park and is quite peaceful. This place is all about tree-lined fairways with elevation on every single hole. The variety of shots is outstanding and a good majority of pins are placed on slopes which will cost you a stroke if your missed putt stands on edge and rolls away. People with cannon arms will have more opportunities for birdies but there are enough short holes to please a noodle arm like me.
The signature holes to me are (as others have mentioned) - #6 - Staffords version of "Top of the World", #16 - a hole that is framed by the arm of an oak tree, #18 - a seemingly short simple open shot, but you find as you approach the pin, that it's perched on a rock cropping that drops very steeply on the right (glad I didn't throw my RHFH or I would have been far below the pin on landing).

I would say that this course caters to a more advanced player (for good scoring opportunities), but the average player should find it enjoyable.

The signs were great and the nice washer on those signs indicated the current pin position - awesome!
Cons: This being the only time I've played, it was frustrating that about half the pins were not visible from the tee. I don't have a problem with blind pin positions - except when the already physically challenging terrain is compounded by having to hike ahead on so many holes to confirm the pin position.

A few tee pads were in dangerous places which were on the edge of fairways
Other Thoughts: Bring plenty of water. It's a long walk to any facilities in the park.

I will play this course again when I return to NorCal. I'm wondering if it will have more of a "Wow" factor than it did my first time (I guess I expected a lot more from the course design).

When you are ready for the big leagues

5+    1/29/2014   1/30/2014
Review By: Dangerman
Pros: All this course needs is a beverage shack or a cart girl! (not being sexist)
Love/hate this course
As a new player, I come here to measure my progress. Then I go to Crane Creek to fix my game.
The first 3 holes are tough, long, uphill, over trees. Hole 6 is epic downhill drive
8 is my favorite with a resting spot under a killer oak tree. This is a great place for a break. I always envision Robert Plant/Jimmy Page jamming out under this tree.
I try to break 40 on the front 9 and 35 on the back 9.
Cons: A bit of a walk to the first tee pad.
Price for parking goes up on Fri-Sun
Watch out for animals, alive and dead
And giant rabbit(?) holes dug into the sides of hills.
Hole #18 is a mean SOB
Other Thoughts: Bravo UFO's and all of the other folks that take care of this course!
I have yet to play, (or find) the extra tees above 4. I have seen some pins but not the tee boxes.
Such a great course. Really pretty and a real workout.
I hope to play here at least 20 times this year.

WOW

1    12/23/2013   12/28/2013
Review By: gusisfishin@gmail.co
Pros: Tough course for a beginner like me.
Clean. Well kept. Thanks Dave !
Great views
Cons: I can't think of any.
Other Thoughts: If I hadn't had a "Guide" I would NEVER have found the 5 extra holes. Not sure I could find 'em now. This course makes you use all the shots. Techniques I have not learned yet, too. It's UP hill and DOWN hill then, UP again. Great hike. And DG'ers make great company.

Blown Away

1    6/18/2013   6/18/2013
Review By: bentpenny
Pros: The experience of the hike was the high point--great vistas, a classic CA coastal mtn. landscape, and everything from wild turkeys, turkey vultures, hawks, crows, deer, and scampering lizards underfoot.

The layout will appeal to pros and advanced players who want to challenge themselves with elevation change, blind shots, and distance.

Cons: The course itself was terrifically challenging, in part due to our not knowing the course route. The greatest issue was howling wind, gusting 25 mph. and making shots nearly impossible to control.

The long grass ate my favorite disc on hole 7. For recompense, I came out with about 4 lbs. of barbed stickers in my socks.
Other Thoughts: For a summer round, wear long pants and watch out for poison oak.

Don't expect many birdie opportunities. Pars will feel like an accomplishment on most holes.

Great elevation

1    5/15/2013   6/6/2013
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The main feature of this course is the big hills. Nearly every hole has some kind of elevation, and that adds a lot of fun and challenge. You have to control your disc up and down steep hills, and lots of landing zones are sloped enough to encourage roll-aways if you're not careful. Add in some wind, and this course really rewards understanding how your discs fly when you're not on flat ground.

A handful of the holes (mostly the added letter holes) offered some nice wooded shots. It was a nice change to need to shape some interesting lines in contrast to the mostly open holes on the rest of the course. There's great distance variety, from reachable holes to some bombers including some multi-drive holes.

There are some fantastic views here, and I felt like every time we wanted to stop and catch our breath there was something nice to look at. The tees were perfectly fine, even the natural tees on the added holes weren't too rutted out yet (though that could become a con if they don't get permanent pads in the near future).
Cons: There are some navigation issues, especially with the added holes. Some of the signage was out of date or inaccurate, and that was a little frustrating in the spots where multiple baskets were visible. A little work on tee and navigational signage would go a lon way for first time players here.

The grass was a bit long when I played, making for some frustrating disc searches in the middle of the fairway. Prairie grass is my least favorite type of disc golf rough, especially when it's full of fox tails that you never fully get out of your shoes and socks. There's a ton of poison oak in the more wooded sections of the course. There were a couple places where I felt that holes played too close to one another, especially when elevation is added in to make bad shots even less predictable.
Other Thoughts: Beginners will find this course a bit daunting, with lots of length and some nasty rough in spots. More experienced players will find some great challenges here, especially with the addition of the wooded letter holes to test a different part of your game. Be prepared for a hike, there's a long walk back to the car, and the walk to play the course is reasonably strenuous.

Amazing!!!

1    3/2/2013   3/13/2013
Review By: Endocador
This review was updated on 6/11/2014
Pros: This is a really well thought out course with some great pin placements. There is some great change of elevation throughout the course to add an extra element of difficulty. I really like how well marked out everything was. Our first time playing there, we had no trouble location all the holes.
Cons: Not much negative to say about this one. One of the best courses I have ever played.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7