Novato, CA
Stafford Lake County Park Share
Uploaded By: mike shoys Hole #3 (Taken 7/2014)
View Over Hole #3 Tee

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next >
 I can't wait to come back!

1    11/17/2008   12/8/2008
Review By: pineappaloupe
Pros: Beautiful area, well maintained (brush is fairly well cleared for play AND environmentally the course has very good erosion control measures A++!), a great work out, unique, takes advantage of topography and vegetation to make great holes, great hole diagrams with aerial photos, multiple tees and baskets, very friendly locals (the best sign of a good course), The oak trees are absolutely gorgeous. I am very impress by the erosion control and the environmentally conscious management of this course.
Cons: Playing solo for the first time is hard. Many holes seems like disc eaters but are actually OK if you know the course. It isn't free, course closes at 5pm in winter (locked gates!!! booo!), Even with a map I couldn't find some holes, little directions to the next tee pad
Other Thoughts: Getting to the course can be confusing. Follow the road until the unpaved parking area, and walk along the dirt road through the field (about a 200 yard walk to the tee). Get a map!
I had less than 2 hours to play this course so I had to skip some holes and play conservative to not lose discs and time... but I was blown away by the character of this course. The next time I am anywhere near it I will make a point to play it again. The locals were super friendly, hang around long enough and you can find an experienced group to play with,
This course is definitely worth $5.
I am used to playing at 6300ft so watching my discs soar down the big hills with massive right hand bends was soooooo fun!!!!
Head Wind + elevation drop = ???? FUN!

fun course

2-4    4/15/2005   11/4/2008
Review By: Starwraith169
Pros: very tecnical with some great elevation shots. Only course I have played with a 1000+ ft shot on it. Beautiful area, especially in the spring.
Cons: Grass can get tall in spring, so really spot your disc, you have to pay to park,
Other Thoughts: overall a nice course, especially if you are looking for a workout.

Humbling, but fun!

1    8/10/2008   8/18/2008
Review By: mjheckman
Pros: I have only been playing for 2 months and had only played the course in San Francisco. The guys at the first tee told me that the course will be very humbling, and boy was he right! It's a great course in a massive park and the holes are long. I shot a legit 8 on the 1000+ foot hole and was happy. If you're looking for a very good hike with lots of elevation changes this is your course.
Cons: Poison oak is every where and I mean every where! If you throw a disc into a patch of poison oak you're gonna be in big trouble.

I spent at least 40 minutes of my day searching for the tee box on several holes. I would really be nice of there was some type of marker that would direct you to the next tee.

Worth the walk!

1    9/30/1998   7/1/2008
Review By: acerunlou
This review was updated on 8/24/2008
Pros: Challenging. Multiple Pins and Tees. Scenic.
Cons: Parking fee. No water or restrooms on course.
Other Thoughts: Use spotter on blind shots, especially Hole 2. Tall grass in spring; Pick a line to the disc.

Pro corse

11/13/2007   11/18/2007
Review By: kevin
Pros: Good fun! Puts forth a challange. The place is well mapped out.
Cons: Pay $5 parking fee.
Other Thoughts: Worth the drive, make a day out of this place, it's one of the best in the area.

Challenging and Distinctive NorCal Course

2-4    11/10/2003   9/10/2007
Review By: jaymon1
This review was updated on 8/11/2008
Pros: Natural setting, views, length, layout.
Cons: Tall, sticky grass.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course I played in California and it is a whole different game. It's like playing disc golf on the classic Marin/Sonoma county cattle farm, with tall, sticky grass, steep hills, beautiful views from many tees, and a lot of hiking instead of merely walking. This course requires some skills I'm otherwise not usually asked for in my disc golfing experience, especially along the lines of throwing up steep hills or along the sides of steep hills, but I love it anyway.

While Novato seems like a basic suburb, this course is kind of out in the country. You have to park the car and start walking, across two big fields before finding hole #1 many hundreds of yards away from the parking lot (bear left - there's a path there). The first time I played this course, I hiked up the steep hill to find the basket, caught my breath, and proceeded to throw my disc only halfway up because I had no experience throwing up anything like that kind of incline. The first few holes are equally challenging. I tell you though, the view from hole two and onward of Stafford Lake and the surrounding countryside are as cool as anything I've seen on disc golf course. Those first few holes require uphill throws, throws into thick trees, throws along the sides of this steep hill, and #6 is a great hole down a steep hill. 400 feet and I fly the whole way. This course is a whole different challenge, and it is real fun and good exercise too.

You should be able to follow this course without too much trouble. Not wanting to hike uphill needlessly gets me to pay extra close attention to the map. You may have to spend some extra time looking for discs in the tall grass too - I noticed locals using spotters. This course has dirt tee-pads, but they are leveled out and plenty long. This was the first course I played where the legitimate par was higher than 54 - #9 is 1000 ft+ for instance. #6 and #17 are among the coolest holes I've ever played and the rest of the course is pretty crazy too. But it is different - the long grass and uphill shots make it a different game really, than I'm used to, and it's not really fair to compare it to most of the other courses I've played. I can't wait to play it again.

Favorite Hole - #6 - long, long shot down gradual, open hill, with a tremendous view of Stafford Lake from the tee.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next >